NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Stock Exchanges and Foreign Investment"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:37 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: The repeal says:
Further noting that the resolution's ambiguity on what constitutes "artificial manipulation of the exchange rate" severely limits the ability of a member nation to engage in currency intervention operations, such as to stabilise its currency's exchange rate,

The target says:
Empowers the ISEC to regulate the exchanges on which currencies are traded to prevent artificial manipulation of the exchange rate and to ensure that these exchanges operate without bias toward the citizens of any one nation.

I'm struggling to follow this argument. How does this clause limit member states' actions exactly? Saying that the committee can do something does not seem to be a prohibition on member states doing something else.

Currency intervention operations would likely be considered a form of "artificial manipulation of the exchange rate", and the ISEC would therefore have to take action to "prevent" it.
Last edited by The Ice States on Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Kirrlark
Lobbyist

Founded: May 21, 2022
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kirrlark » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:21 am

“We share the concerns already raised by other Ambassadors about the lack of solutions within the repeal itself, or in the form of companion legislation. Although the target legislation is replaceable, we feel insufficient detail has been provided alongside this proposal to warrant a repeal.”
Kirrlark --- The Communist Bloc --- Former Peoples Justice and Minister of World Assembly Affairs
I do not speak on behalf of TCB

He/Him, 20s, Individualist anarchist

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:45 pm

Kirrlark wrote:“We share the concerns already raised by other Ambassadors about the lack of solutions within the repeal itself, or in the form of companion legislation. Although the target legislation is replaceable, we feel insufficient detail has been provided alongside this proposal to warrant a repeal.”

“Any improvements in the clauses would have to occur in a separate piece of legislation. With that said, I do wonder about a possible replacement. GA #401 doesn’t do much in a concrete fashion, but a proposal on the same topic would be welcome.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:37 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Kirrlark wrote:“We share the concerns already raised by other Ambassadors about the lack of solutions within the repeal itself, or in the form of companion legislation. Although the target legislation is replaceable, we feel insufficient detail has been provided alongside this proposal to warrant a repeal.”

“Any improvements in the clauses would have to occur in a separate piece of legislation. With that said, I do wonder about a possible replacement. GA #401 doesn’t do much in a concrete fashion, but a proposal on the same topic would be welcome.”

It's impossible to do a single replacement for this law (it covers too large a topic and too broad) within the confines of a 5,000 word resolution, but I have been passing resolutions that chip away at parts of this resolution for sometime:

GA#633 - Independent research protocol
https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pa ... /council=1

Sophisticated investors protocol (in queue, joint with IA)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=525547

Securities issuers governance (coming)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=528949

IA has also done several finance related resolutions that chip away at this.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

New Falkarth
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 29, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby New Falkarth » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:45 pm

OoC: I will have to agree with Kenmoria here and vote for this repeal simply because the original legislation is too boring and cheats around the problem it is supposed to fix. We could make similar resolutions for every problem imaginable (Civil rights of foreigners? Lets make a committee. International disputes? Lets make a committee. etc.), but where would then be the fun and roleplay?

Huaren Gongsi state
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 23, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Huaren Gongsi state » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:20 pm

The Ice States wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:OOC: The repeal says:

The target says:

I'm struggling to follow this argument. How does this clause limit member states' actions exactly? Saying that the committee can do something does not seem to be a prohibition on member states doing something else.

Currency intervention operations would likely be considered a form of "artificial manipulation of the exchange rate", and the ISEC would therefore have to take action to "prevent" it.

While it may sound as such, this is a reasonable thing to do for a member state to do in order to stabilize it's currency.
95.3 on the International Safety Index, 89.7 on the International Development Index, 78.6 on the International Corruption Index

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:39 pm

Huaren Gongsi state wrote:
The Ice States wrote:Currency intervention operations would likely be considered a form of "artificial manipulation of the exchange rate", and the ISEC would therefore have to take action to "prevent" it.

While it may sound as such, this is a reasonable thing to do for a member state to do in order to stabilize it's currency.

Indeed. The resolution prevents, or at least severely limits, member nations from doing so, no matter how "reasonable".
Last edited by The Ice States on Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Princess Rainbow Sparkles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Rainbow Sparkles » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:55 pm

"The Princess looks disfavorably on repeals which throw around generic, subjective, and needless insults, like calling the definitions section 'very poorly written.' From what our delegation can tell, it was written just fine. That however is a minor personal sentiment which she hopes others may agree with in the interest of better friendship and welcome. It generally will not impact the vote of her delegation; all other things being equal."

"With respect to the merit of the repeal arguments here, we agree that this target ought to be repealed for the reasons stated. The target did basically nothing of substance. It defined a bunch of terms that it rarely used. Most egregiously, it established an international bureaucracy to come up with magical standards that the target didn't even try to describe, and to work toward an amorphous undefined goal with effectively no policy guidance."

"FOR!"

- Deputy Ambassador Roweina
Last edited by Princess Rainbow Sparkles on Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:26 am

This has passed. Interestingly, the 95.2% margin is the largest at vote passing margin in World Assembly history.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:18 pm

Repeal "Stock Exchanges and Foreign investment" was passed 14,139 votes to 709.

(OOC: Congratulations!)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives