NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Anti-Smuggling Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Dexteria
Lobbyist

Founded: May 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

the resolution impringes soverignity

Postby New Dexteria » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:51 pm

REQUIRES all member states to treat offences committed by any organizations or individuals engaging in the activity of International Smuggling that occurred outside of their own Customs Jurisdictions at least as seriously, as they would treat any comparable crimes committed within those Customs Jurisdictions;

The act would approve of stronger nations to violate the territorial integrity of weaker nations in the name of law and order. new dexteria opposes it on these grounds.

Gresham-East
Secretary

Founded: Jun 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gresham-East » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:26 pm

I voted FOR the resolution. However, it looks like it will fail. You should start drafting a compromise motion.

Sanapai
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Never Tell Me the Odds

Postby Sanapai » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:07 pm

Sanapai would approve of this resolution but the President is a huge fan of Star Wars and refuses to make Han Solo's job any harder than it already is, with the Empire on him all the time.

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:51 am

New Dexteria wrote:
REQUIRES all member states to treat offences committed by any organizations or individuals engaging in the activity of International Smuggling that occurred outside of their own Customs Jurisdictions at least as seriously, as they would treat any comparable crimes committed within those Customs Jurisdictions;

The act would approve of stronger nations to violate the territorial integrity of weaker nations in the name of law and order. new dexteria opposes it on these grounds.

The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn would like to inform the ambassador from New Dexteria that their interpretation of this clause is incorrect. This clause does not violate any territory of any nation. This clause states that if one of your citizens smuggles goods into another nation and you have evidence of this, you would consider that a crime of the same importance as if the person smuggled goods into your nation.
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Yenid
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yenid » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:04 am

Manticore Reborn wrote:My government sincerely thanks you for your support. However, I would be dishonest if I did not state that there are flaws with the proposed legislation in its current form. My government would like to assure the noble ambassador from Castrovido that this issue is not dead as the vote would indicate. There will be a revised proposal taking into account some of the flaws that were identified during this vote debate. The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn will resubmit a draft to this august assembly once a suitable cooling off period has past.

The Matriarchy commends your resolve to cut down on smuggling, it undermines the economies of all nations involved and is a hard issue to police individually. The Matriarchy looks forwards to seeing a new draft of the anti-smuggling act.

Aranoff
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aranoff » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Manticore Reborn wrote:
New Dexteria wrote:

The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn would like to inform the ambassador from New Dexteria that their interpretation of this clause is incorrect. This clause does not violate any territory of any nation. This clause states that if one of your citizens smuggles goods into another nation and you have evidence of this, you would consider that a crime of the same importance as if the person smuggled goods into your nation.

Your explanation is troubling. While I hold overwhelming support for this legislation, and have received the backing from our Minister of Finance, the Allied States of Aranoff sees this clause, and your interpretation thereof both equally troubling. We would hold that the member nations should only treat any crimes committed within their borders, being such that, if citizen of country A smugglers contraband into country B, where said contraband is legal in country A, that country B would be required to extradition that citizen to trial by their laws. No nation can be held liable for the actions of their citizens outside domestic borders, unless in the case of crimes committed within embassies in foreign lands. The clause seems to suggest that a nation be held responsible for its citizens abroad. While all nations must work to limit smuggling, we of Aranoff believe that it is up to individual member nations to define the terms of illegal contraband in their borders and the terms of penalty thereof. While international law may dictate that smuggling within member nations be illegal, individual nations need to enact penalties in their own right and work to reduce crimes within their borders.

-Marick D. Pauperian, Patriarch of Aranoff-

(Ooc: I hope I am understanding the rules. Regarding international laws.)
Ambassador to WA: Ms. Jennifer S. Schlachter
Executive: Swenson Von Strüpengard
The Allied States of Aranoff
Aranoff Factbook

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:57 am

The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn wishes to thanks those of you who have offered their support and approval to this proposal. Although the final vote tally was disappointing we understand the legitimate concerns several nations had with this proposal. Once a suitable cooling off period has expired, a new draft will be presented to this august assembly for suggestions on improvement.

The humble representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn yields the floor.
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives