NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Marriage and Custody Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:46 pm

Starman of Stardust wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:On further consideration, opposed to Article 4 and will be voting against it if it remains in the proposal as-is. This should be a simple proposal about custody, not a sweeping charter about the rights of unmarried couples. Consider rewriting Article 3 to something as follows:
Due weight must be provided in a Section 2 procedure to the freely expressed views of the ward in question vis-a-vis that procedure. Further, no person may be discriminated against in any Section 2 procedure based on their holding or lack of any arbitrary, reductive characteristic, due to being unmarried at any point in a Section 2 procedure or having been unmarried when the ward who is subject to a Section 2 procedure was born or conceived.

"As described in the preamble, this is intended to address both discrimination against unmarried couples and children thereof as well as custody rights."

We support the anti-discrimination clause

Starman of Stardust
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Starman of Stardust » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:04 pm

"This was submitted with the non-discrimination section."
Last edited by Starman of Stardust on Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC name: The Democratic Stellar Union. My main nation is The Ice States.

President: Hyo Joslyn
World Assembly Ambassador: Hayden Stubbe

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:16 pm

All member nations must recognise a person's status as having been born to or conceived by unmarried biological parents as an arbitrary, reductive characteristic.

Opposed. This is not an arbitrary characteristic.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:21 pm

Old Hope wrote:
All member nations must recognise a person's status as having been born to or conceived by unmarried biological parents as an arbitrary, reductive characteristic.

To punish someone for? It certainly is.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:33 pm

Old Hope wrote:

Noted. This is an arbitrary characteristic.
Last edited by The Ice States on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Starman of Stardust
Spokesperson

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Starman of Stardust » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:40 am

Ooc: Sorry for not replying to this earlier, I genuinely did not notice that you had posted >_<
Tinhampton wrote:Smith: Just happening not to be married when you have kids should not by itself be grounds for the sweeping protection against discrimination you propose in Article 4, especially when some nations may not have marriage and even those that do are under no obligation to offer that status to those in marriages that experience childbirth. The fact that some people believe that sex before marriage is wrong does not suffice. Some theists believe that eating pork is wrong, but this does not entitle pig farmers to ARC status.
I would like to reiterate my opposition to the Act as written.

"I would agree if discrimination against unmarried parents and children thereof was not relatively common, as I already said to the Obaman ambassador. This body has a duty to address discrimination against often-stigmatised groups such as the children of unmarried parents -- just as it has already addressed discrimination based on, for example, language, economic status, or non-sedentary lifestyle. Further, Section 2 merely applies ARC status to the children of unmarried parents -- not the parents themselves. The only protection it specifically enacts for unmarried parents is preventing member nations from discriminating in the granting or revocation of some parental right or duty based on married or unmarried status. This argument seems to misrepresent the Union mission's proposal. Why should an immutable characteristic that is often discriminated against not be considered an 'arbitrary, reductive charactieristic'?"
Last edited by Starman of Stardust on Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Pacific Northwest
Envoy

Founded: May 26, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Pacific Northwest » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:50 am

People absolutely do discriminate against other people for having a child/being born out of wedlock. Anyone who doesn’t think so probably hasn’t spent enough time around fundamentalist Christians (or any other religion where having children before marriage is frowned upon).

When applied to this site, plenty of people RP theocracies, and adhere to both real and fictional religions. Excluding outright theocracies, religious freedom also exists. So it’s safe to say there are plenty of people willing to discriminate as well as plenty of people in need of protection from that discrimination.
I don’t roleplay much, so all of my posts will be OOC.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:50 am

Smith: Speakers of minority languages, the working-class and travellers have all faced severe, long-standing and occasionally systematic discrimination, both as groups or as individuals. The World Assembly is right to give those characteristics ARC status. But, in most member states, those who experience birth out of wedlock do not face such discrimination and I still do not believe that ARC protections are warranted for them as a group.
For the record, I had been working from an old version of this proposal which - I believe - had declared that those who had given birth out of wedlock and their partners, and not the children they gave birth to, received ARC status. The same principle applies to both groups. We have anti-bullying resolutions already, although I hate them with a vengeance.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Starman of Stardust
Spokesperson

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Starman of Stardust » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:41 am

Tinhampton wrote:Smith: Speakers of minority languages, the working-class and travellers have all faced severe, long-standing and occasionally systematic discrimination, both as groups or as individuals. The World Assembly is right to give those characteristics ARC status. But, in most member states, those who experience birth out of wedlock do not face such discrimination and I still do not believe that ARC protections are warranted for them as a group.
For the record, I had been working from an old version of this proposal which - I believe - had declared that those who had given birth out of wedlock and their partners, and not the children they gave birth to, received ARC status. The same principle applies to both groups. We have anti-bullying resolutions already, although I hate them with a vengeance.

"No version of this draft applies ARC status to unmarried parents."

"If being often discriminated against in primogeniture, citizenship laws, 'honour killings' (ie hate crime), religious taboo and discrimination, and education (Ooc: see here), while being completely immutable, is not sufficient to grant ARC status, I do not know what is."
Last edited by Starman of Stardust on Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:00 pm

"The Ice mission has voted against this proposal, as the mere status of being born to unmarried parents is specifically prohibited by the Holy Book of Klyprer, as is having sex outside of marriage. The former is unfit to be classed as an arbitrary, reductive characteristic."

Ooc: I would like to clarify that my vote against is purely Ic, and I still fully support this proposal as the author Ooc.

Approvals: 75 (Heavens Reach, Eurasia102, East Chimore, Eglos, Greater Lankland, Gideon, Lennonia, Brunis, Indiana do Norte, Mikeswill, Landfield, Koranz, Ugonnadie, Lordmoria, Larego, Empire of the Super Titan Dragon, Free Territorial Soviets, The Ambis, Meercovo, Ionmana, Mechanocracy, New Nationale Einheit, Nothinggg, NinjitsUtopia, Erynia and Draconia, Floweville, Ameareia, StrayaRoos barrier islands, Soviet Yoshilandia, The Salaxalans, Nytocho, Nova Irbelia, Denathor, Roznepal, Scus Dom, Mocha, Josephtan, Markanite, Kolloquia, Treadwellia, Tepertopia, Yedalio, Western Christania, Vipathe, Providence Plantations and Rhode Island, Vost Dotari, San Lumen, Orifna, The Glorious Hypetrain, Western Hia, Sedgistan, Niskeku, Super Pakistan, Sponkland, New Isman, Univesal, Qazlana, The Isles of Bermuda, Max Siotto, Dawsinian, Kingdom of Englands, Ukraine-Russia Respublic, Shanlix, Ruling Now, USA but xemirs is the president, Pogaria, Great Libertona, The Greastest Nation, Vavlar 1, Democratic Republic of San Ma, Zrjsnxu, Lohanduria, Velichaishiy Dagestan, Jabaxus, Salad Catia)
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Regnum Tyrannis
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 27, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Tyrannis » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:42 pm

This vote against "discrimination" only tacitly discriminates against the married, making that prioritization of "one forever" interchangeable with "one whenever". This tries to replace social welfare for the impoverished with nice wording for those who weren't discerning with their mates.

Life is hard. Kind words without firm guidance only makes it harder. The Empire of Regnum Tyrannis votes AGAINST.

Nerdherdia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 02, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Nerdherdia » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:01 am

RM Ashley Hyatt, acting as delegate for Nerdherdia: "It is the opinion of the Minister's Chamber that any legislation combating discrimination and injustice is a step in the right direction, however the wording of the resolution has caused hesitation. Further discussions will be held, but as it stands Nerdherdia abstains with a lean towards yes."

Neither LM Konjetti nor HM Renfro have made their personal opinions known, but a meeting of the Ministers is to take place the morning of the 9th to discuss.

Animeden
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 27, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Animeden » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:09 am

This should be each individual nation's option. If a nation thinks that this is proposal would suit the general public of their nation, they can implement their own law/variant of this law in their own nation. However, those who think that this may negatively affect their citizens should not be obligated to comply with this law.

The Free Land of Animeden votes AGAINST this proposal.

Yerevan Rus
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 09, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Yerevan Rus » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:22 am

Наша нация поддерживает эту идею.

N27
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 14, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby N27 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:33 am

N27 Secretary of State for the World Assembly, Jake A. Previous:

"Whilst my country fully supports those parents choosing to have children outside of the bounds of marriage, and as such any children of that union, we do pose several questions. The first of which being why this domestic issue is being handled by an international legislative assembly, and why such a complex issue that must take into account the individual needs of the member states' populations is being encroached upon. Overly-complicating this issue by forcing member-states to be in complete lockstep on this issue would be foolhardy and incompatible with member state's rights to self-government, and as such, it is our belief that state sovereignty should take precedence and have jurisdiction on the issues discussed by this act.

That argument aside, ambassadors, We also wonder why this legislation has not been placed into other relevant proposals, such as a standalone discrimination act. N27's own "Discrimination Act (2018)" is amended as necessary to evolve with our contemporary society's beliefs and needs. By placing protections against discrimination into one specific article of legislation, it allows any who would attempt to find information on such matters to find their objective in an easier way, not to mention allow court cases to proceed somewhat more smoothly and with more haste, than attempting to find every mention of discrimination in the plethora of acts this assembly has passed, not to mention whatever federal laws each member state would have in place.

Obviously N27 has several moral, ethical and legal objections to discrimination to individuals that causes harm, however N27 also understands that nation-states have their own legal systems and legislative agendas to fulfil and it is their right to pursue that in the way they see fit. This is especially true in custody battle cases, where ultimately the safety and wellbeing of the child is the primary priority. To bring marital status into this issue is a non-starter as generally these battles arise from a couple dissolving their marriage. In the slim cases where a couple that was never married enters a custody battle for a child, the court's primary prerogative should always be to ensure the child's safety and as such, determine which parent is more capable of giving a wholesome and healthy lifestyle for the child at hand. To mandate this at such a high level is not only redundant but, as stated previously, unfairly confiscates member states' rights to self-governance and to determine their own laws on their lands.

By all means, pass this resolution for international waters, or in cases where nationality is disputed (i.e. In cases where unmarried citizens from multiple WA member states have offspring and the custody cannot be determined due to conflicting federal laws,) but do not impose international intervention onto individual states and encroach upon their sovereignty unduly.

N27 remains opposed."
I'm protected by AGNS, what about you?

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:27 am

Yerevan Rus wrote:Наша нация поддерживает эту идею.

Oh kind sir, this is an English-speaking forum, you need to post all your things in English
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

El Lazaro
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 19, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby El Lazaro » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:47 am

Are legal punishments for children born out of wedlock commonplace? This bill seems unnecessary if not. Additionally, the custody revocation conditions are self-defeating, as court proceedings could remove custody from unwed parents. If this was removed, however, conservatorship annulments and divorce rulings could be barred. The proposal seems to be making a mess of the law without providing significant utility.

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:15 am

Against. "Arbitrary, reductive characteristic" is wholly meaningless if undefined as it is here. Stop pretending like it's something that means anything on its own.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:54 am

This proposal, if passed, would wreak havoc with many nations' inheritance laws, allowing no discrimination between children born to a person's spouse and those born outside of wedlock. And, as a double whammy, consider what this will do to those nations with a hereditary monarchy. While Elwher sympathizes with the intent of the proposal, it goes too far when out-of-wedlock children are required to be treated the same as those born to a person's legal spouse.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Mendevia
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mendevia » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:04 am

I encourage everyone to please vote against the current proposal in the World Assembly. Especially because of Section 3: "A member nation may only revoke an individual's status as a legal parent, guardian, or custodian of a ward where necessary to

protect that ward's emotional, mental, or physical wellbeing;

enforce a prison sentence, contain someone currently charged with a crime, or otherwise ensure the functioning of court proceedings; or

revoke guardianship or custody over a particular ward whom that individual has freely and in good faith renounced such guardianship or custody over"

Terminating a parent's parental rights might seem like a good thing if that person is a terrible person and does not contribute at all to raising their child, but terminating the parental rights means completing separating that child from their parent forever. And that also includes financially. The court can force a parent who is alienated from their child to pay for support, but only if they are still the parent according to the law. Sentence b: "enforce a prison sentence, contain someone currently charged with a crime, or otherwise ensure the functioning of court proceedings; or" is especially poorly written. What does that even mean? And the last sentence: "revoke guardianship or custody over a particular ward whom that individual has freely and in good faith renounced such guardianship or custody over." This should only be done if the other parent or guardian consents because again child support is terminated. I am fairly confident that overall terminating parental status is far more detrimental to a ward's emotional, mental, or physical wellbeing. If you need to protect the child from a bad parent you can limit or even prevent them from having any sort of custody or visitation while still forcing them to pay for their child. Again you can't do this if the rights are terminated.

Cat Army
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 18, 2022
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cat Army » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:37 pm

In the proposal the writer never clearly defines what a "guardian" or an "individual lacking in mental capacity" is. The lack of a definition of what a guardian is quite concerning. Another thing is that they never define what an individual lacking in mental capacity is. They do say children right before this but then never elaborate on the "individual lacking in mental capacity" par.t

PokemonGirl
Secretary

Founded: Feb 20, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby PokemonGirl » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:44 pm

The Pacific Northwest wrote:People absolutely do discriminate against other people for having a child/being born out of wedlock. Anyone who doesn’t think so probably hasn’t spent enough time around fundamentalist Christians (or any other religion where having children before marriage is frowned upon).

When applied to this site, plenty of people RP theocracies, and adhere to both real and fictional religions. Excluding outright theocracies, religious freedom also exists. So it’s safe to say there are plenty of people willing to discriminate as well as plenty of people in need of protection from that discrimination.

I guess, but it's so oddly specific why is this something that needs a world assembly bill?

I was under the impression this was about rights of a guardian not to just be abruptly taken. Which I can understand cause I figure whoever wants to claim parenthood can.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:32 pm

PokemonGirl wrote:
The Pacific Northwest wrote:People absolutely do discriminate against other people for having a child/being born out of wedlock. Anyone who doesn’t think so probably hasn’t spent enough time around fundamentalist Christians (or any other religion where having children before marriage is frowned upon).

I guess, but it's so oddly specific why is this something that needs a world assembly bill?

I was under the impression this was about rights of a guardian not to just be abruptly taken. Which I can understand cause I figure whoever wants to claim parenthood can.

OOC: keep in mind that the WA nations reflect all sorts of places and eras in history, and that being born out of wedlock was, depending on the region and era, particularly for those featuring a nobility, a very big deal and source of discrimination.

Brezzia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 26, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Hänsel and Gretel

Postby Brezzia » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:12 pm

Reading 3c for the first time, it seems to me that it allows a guardian to "freely and in good faith" renounce guardianship or custody over a ward whenever they want. There are real life laws that allow parents to leave children in hospital or caring center, but immediately after birth, not after 5/11/17 years. If they keep the child, they have the duty to care them. This is like a proposal by Hänsel and Gretel's parents.

Nation Name: Brezzia
Official Name: Brezzian Workes' Council Republic
Capital city: Nova Sybaris
Region: Badge
WA Category: Left-wing Utopia
Embassy Program: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=544944
Government System: Council Republic
Economic System: Socialist
President of the Committee of the Republic: Nando Martellone
President of the Council of Commissars: Olga Demetri
Commissar for Foreign Affairs: Guido Forestieri
WA Permanent Representative: Carlo A. Van Vera

Saint Eleanor
Envoy

Founded: Feb 02, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Saint Eleanor » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:16 pm

I am Tinhampton.

Although I am opposed to this proposal, I do not believe that somebody with full custody over a child renouncing custody over them would be a bona fide renunciation: it would almost certainly not be in the child's best interests (see Article 4).
****** The Grand Republic of Saint Eleanor - area 2,863mi2, population 489,816, 1.6 cups of coffee/Eleanorian/day - it's 2000 (OOC: obvious Tinhampton puppet)
BoF76 quarterfinalists --- WC91 participants

Why? George Mitcham, General then and now, cofounded the National Liberation Front in 1971 to demand a free Saint Eleanor. He got his wish in '75 after a 15-month war: becoming President, appointing notable NLF friends and some charity's executive director as VPs and calling them legislators. He has retained power through oil money; zero income tax; free healthcare, schooling, public transport - and markets; tolerating dissent on apolitical matters; allowing private gun ownership (with plenty of training) to protect against future invasions; high-quality PR; and football.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives