NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Mitigating Animal Population Fragmentation

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:00 pm

Apatosaurus wrote:
Untecna wrote:Removed 2b, changed 2c to 2b, and added the clarity words.

I don't think 2b should be removed, just add a lot more detail on it and what the institution is required to do.

Fair, but it was essentially saying that the WAESC would do the job when later it says that member nations will.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Countesia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 10, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Countesia » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:04 pm

I don't know if this is overextending the hand of the W.A here, but maybe set up a grant to allow less wealthy nations to pursue options to lower the impact of habitat fragmentation, such as wildlife bridges, for example.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:00 pm

Ambassador Wyrzykowski enters the Den of Iniquity GA drafting chamber carrying a crumpled copy of 'Ending Animal Population Fragmentation' that smells suspiciously of cabbage. Addressing the delegations assembled, he states:

"The WA delegation of the North Polish Union will strongly oppose this legislation until some serious issues are addressed. As it is written now, this proposal would be a bureaucratic nightmare worse than the rest of the godforsaken resolutions of this Assembly.

4. All member nations must conduct independent research on the effects the specific species gains from fragmentation, and submit the results to the WAESC for evaluation and to increase the information database on fragmented populations; the WAESC is also being required to complete research to check the research of the nations and to retain data required by section 2b.

This, for example, mandates redundancy in research. While such redundancies can be very valuable in some fields, particularly pharmaceutical research, requiring such here makes little sense and is a waste of WAESC time and funds. Additionally, it gives member states the impression that the WA doesn't trust them to comply with its resolutions in good faith if they feel the need to have a WA board look over such research findings to 'check' them. The WA has always expected its members to act in good faith; for those that don't, well, there's always the SC, but writing an assumption of bad faith into WA law would set a terrible precedent.

5. All construction plans within any area of a member nation must be reviewed by an independent environmental body to ensure that the construction will not further fragmentation or will affect the environment in the area.

This is a ridiculous overreach. If farmer Mścisław wants to put up a new shed on his farm he should not have to go through the same processes that the construction of a dam must go through. Additionally, by mandating that new "construction will not further fragmentation or will affect the environment in the area" all construction is prohibited since all construction affects the environment. While the goal of promoting environmentally-conscious construction is laudable, there are times when the benefits of construction outweigh animal habitat fragmentation and environmental impact.

6. All member nations must conduct programs to find and implement ways to end fragmentation in areas where fragmentation is due to natural features while retaining said natural features.

Why is natural habitat fragmentation a WA issue? Such fragmentation would occur regardless of the strictest environmental regulations and would even be present if no sapient species were around to create artificial fragmentation. Further, it is not in the WA's interest to encourage members to build tiny bridges over rivers for foxes or tiny tunnels through mountains for deer.

For those reasons, we stand opposed."
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:12 pm

The North Polish Union wrote:Ambassador Wyrzykowski enters the Den of Iniquity GA drafting chamber carrying a crumpled copy of 'Ending Animal Population Fragmentation' that smells suspiciously of cabbage. Addressing the delegations assembled, he states:

"The WA delegation of the North Polish Union will strongly oppose this legislation until some serious issues are addressed. As it is written now, this proposal would be a bureaucratic nightmare worse than the rest of the godforsaken resolutions of this Assembly.

4. All member nations must conduct independent research on the effects the specific species gains from fragmentation, and submit the results to the WAESC for evaluation and to increase the information database on fragmented populations; the WAESC is also being required to complete research to check the research of the nations and to retain data required by section 2b.

This, for example, mandates redundancy in research. While such redundancies can be very valuable in some fields, particularly pharmaceutical research, requiring such here makes little sense and is a waste of WAESC time and funds. Additionally, it gives member states the impression that the WA doesn't trust them to comply with its resolutions in good faith if they feel the need to have a WA board look over such research findings to 'check' them. The WA has always expected its members to act in good faith; for those that don't, well, there's always the SC, but writing an assumption of bad faith into WA law would set a terrible precedent.

5. All construction plans within any area of a member nation must be reviewed by an independent environmental body to ensure that the construction will not further fragmentation or will affect the environment in the area.

This is a ridiculous overreach. If farmer Mścisław wants to put up a new shed on his farm he should not have to go through the same processes that the construction of a dam must go through. Additionally, by mandating that new "construction will not further fragmentation or will affect the environment in the area" all construction is prohibited since all construction affects the environment. While the goal of promoting environmentally-conscious construction is laudable, there are times when the benefits of construction outweigh animal habitat fragmentation and environmental impact.

6. All member nations must conduct programs to find and implement ways to end fragmentation in areas where fragmentation is due to natural features while retaining said natural features.

Why is natural habitat fragmentation a WA issue? Such fragmentation would occur regardless of the strictest environmental regulations and would even be present if no sapient species were around to create artificial fragmentation. Further, it is not in the WA's interest to encourage members to build tiny bridges over rivers for foxes or tiny tunnels through mountains for deer.

For those reasons, we stand opposed."

OOC: All suggestions noted. Section 4 no longer contains the assumption of bad faith, Section 5 no longer has the environmental impact part near the end, and Section 6 is now an encouragement clause.
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:58 pm

"The proposal certainly believes that fragmentation is inherently bad, but fails, fundementally, to consider how fragmentation increases species diversity. It has a, frankly, sophomoric conception of the issue. As such, we oppose."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:19 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"The proposal certainly believes that fragmentation is inherently bad, but fails, fundementally, to consider how fragmentation increases species diversity. It has a, frankly, sophomoric conception of the issue. As such, we oppose."

OOC: Addressed.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:52 pm

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"The proposal certainly believes that fragmentation is inherently bad, but fails, fundementally, to consider how fragmentation increases species diversity. It has a, frankly, sophomoric conception of the issue. As such, we oppose."

OOC: Addressed.

Ooc: there is no indication that you addressed the concern. Your most recent draft indicated exactly the opposite. Again, your grasp of the topic is extremely simplistic. Until you can demonstrate a working understanding of the topic, I'm not sure you can address my concerns.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:57 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Untecna wrote:OOC: Addressed.

Ooc: there is no indication that you addressed the concern. Your most recent draft indicated exactly the opposite. Again, your grasp of the topic is extremely simplistic. Until you can demonstrate a working understanding of the topic, I'm not sure you can address my concerns.

Then you are not reading the proposal.

I added this section to the preamble: "Understanding that, by the nature of the detrimental effects listed above, fragmentation of animal populations reduces the diversity of species and the overall biodiversity of the land on which they reside and in the nation that is in,"

The section above the added one describes some of the negative effects of fragmentation, and this section that was added connects to it. Your concern was addressed.

If you are going to be "Oh, but there wasn't a strong amount of things that were negative about it!", then take a moment to think and realize that I can't deposit more than a few because of both space and the actual proposal.
Last edited by Untecna on Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:39 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:...your grasp of the topic is extremely simplistic. Until you can demonstrate a working understanding of the topic, I'm not sure you can address my concerns.

The fact that the World Assembly seems to like Clean Prostitute Act with all of its ambiguities and omissions so much appears to suggest that it probably deserves a resolution about fragmentation that shows an "extremely simplistic" "grasp of the topic" - never mind one which assigns tasks to a non-existent "WARSC."

Support.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:37 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:...your grasp of the topic is extremely simplistic. Until you can demonstrate a working understanding of the topic, I'm not sure you can address my concerns.

The fact that the World Assembly seems to like Clean Prostitute Act with all of its ambiguities and omissions so much appears to suggest that it probably deserves a resolution about fragmentation that shows an "extremely simplistic" "grasp of the topic" - never mind one which assigns tasks to a non-existent "WARSC."

Support.

I agree with Tinhampton. This topic doesn't need an intense, rigorous definition; it can be defined simply.

Also, thanks for pointing out the typo. Its been corrected.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:06 am

Untecna wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:The fact that the World Assembly seems to like Clean Prostitute Act with all of its ambiguities and omissions so much appears to suggest that it probably deserves a resolution about fragmentation that shows an "extremely simplistic" "grasp of the topic" - never mind one which assigns tasks to a non-existent "WARSC."

Support.

I agree with Tinhampton. This topic doesn't need an intense, rigorous definition; it can be defined simply.

"A poor decision, since that delegation is making a comparison between a deliberately vauge blocker on an ill-defined social matter and you are attempting to legislate a complicated ecogical topic not yet entirely understood by biologists."

Ooc: in my prior career, I had the good fortune to make the effects of pipelines on various ecological populations a point of detailed study. To the point where I was writing 2000 page reports to accompany federal permitting processes for such projects. You are touching on a macrobiological issue that is extremely complicated based on the irregular, interdependent movement patterns of populations. This proposal handles that topic about as well as McDonald's handles souffles.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:11 am

Untecna wrote:I agree with Tinhampton. This topic doesn't need an intense, rigorous definition; it can be defined simply.

"A poor decision, since that delegation is making a comparison between a deliberately vauge blocker on an ill-defined social matter and you are attempting to legislate a complicated ecogical topic not yet entirely understood by biologists."

Ooc: in my prior career, I had the good fortune to make the effects of pipelines on various ecological populations a point of detailed study. To the point where I was writing 2000 page reports to accompany federal permitting processes for such projects. You are touching on a macrobiological issue that is extremely complicated based on the irregular, interdependent movement patterns of populations. This proposal handles that topic about as well as McDonald's handles souffles.

So your point is you want a 2000 page essay on why this is an issue, and then proceed to waste my time further by criticizing how I do it.

Look, I understand your point, I really do, but I'm going to be honest, the definition and effects that I placed in can tell you plenty, and I can't use more space for getting this point across without risking another large change to remove said 2000 page essay. If I could, I would, but I can't. I'm sure our great constituents of the WA could also just as easily look up further information if they do not believe this suffices for that, including yourself. That said, I am doing what I can to make this better.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:16 am

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"A poor decision, since that delegation is making a comparison between a deliberately vauge blocker on an ill-defined social matter and you are attempting to legislate a complicated ecogical topic not yet entirely understood by biologists."

So your point is you want a 2000 page essay on why this is an issue, and then proceed to waste my time further by criticizing how I do it.

Look, I understand your point, I really do, but I'm going to be honest, the definition and effects that I placed in can tell you plenty, and I can't use more space for getting this point across without risking another large change to remove said 2000 page essay. If I could, I would, but I can't. I'm sure our great constituents of the WA could also just as easily look up further information if they do not believe this suffices for that, including yourself. That said, I am doing what I can to make this better.

Ooc: If you've no interest in good faith drafting I really don't think I can be bothered to provide feedback. I didn't ask for a 2000 page essay from you. I asked for evidence of a modicum of research on your part. If you aren't interested in quality drafting, I'm happy to pursue my opposition politically instead.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:22 am

Untecna wrote:So your point is you want a 2000 page essay on why this is an issue, and then proceed to waste my time further by criticizing how I do it.

Ooc: If you've no interest in good faith drafting I really don't think I can be bothered to provide feedback. I didn't ask for a 2000 page essay from you. I asked for evidence of a modicum of research on your part. If you aren't interested in quality drafting, I'm happy to pursue my opposition politically instead.

First, let's note my sarcasm when I said "2000 page essay".

Second, this proposal isn't entirely ambiguous. It doesn't take much to see that, considering that, despite its simplified description/definition, it pushes great strides in what it actually does. Simplification wasn't just made out of laziness, it was made from a choice between a long description within the proposal, boring the reader and removing space to use for actual legislation, or a simplified version eliminating those two but leaving space. The latter was chosen for, frankly, obvious reasons.

You did bring up that animals move and live in awkward, changing patterns, and yes, that is true. But it also doesn't take much to see that that can not be accurately covered by a piece of legislation to address an issue in animal populations. We can't accurately account for the patterns and erratic lives of animals, at least not within the space given, and maybe even at all.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:36 am

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: If you've no interest in good faith drafting I really don't think I can be bothered to provide feedback. I didn't ask for a 2000 page essay from you. I asked for evidence of a modicum of research on your part. If you aren't interested in quality drafting, I'm happy to pursue my opposition politically instead.

First, let's note my sarcasm when I said "2000 page essay".

Second, this proposal isn't entirely ambiguous. It doesn't take much to see that, considering that, despite its simplified description/definition, it pushes great strides in what it actually does. Simplification wasn't just made out of laziness, it was made from a choice between a long description within the proposal, boring the reader and removing space to use for actual legislation, or a simplified version eliminating those two but leaving space. The latter was chosen for, frankly, obvious reasons.

You did bring up that animals move and live in awkward, changing patterns, and yes, that is true. But it also doesn't take much to see that that can not be accurately covered by a piece of legislation to address an issue in animal populations. We can't accurately account for the patterns and erratic lives of animals, at least not within the space given, and maybe even at all.

OOC: the proximate result of your simplification is a policy that doesn't square with basically any understanding of fragmentation, and handles it without the kind of nuance that is essential to policies balancing ecological and economic needs. That's why I suggested you do some research so you can handle the topic with finess instead of with the written equivalent of a ten pound hand sledge, because your current draft essentially prevents development, and it isn't clear to me that it doesn't violate more specific laws governing more specific biomes.

It's astonishing to me the resistance you have to self education on the same topic you're apparently interested in enough to write about. It suggests to me that you are more interested in passing something than passing something good, which goes beyond the mere enthusiasm to participate that I try to encourage.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:43 am

Untecna wrote:First, let's note my sarcasm when I said "2000 page essay".

OOC: the proximate result of your simplification is a policy that doesn't square with basically any understanding of fragmentation, and handles it without the kind of nuance that is essential to policies balancing ecological and economic needs. That's why I suggested you do some research so you can handle the topic with fitness instead of with the written equivalent of a ten pound hand sledge, because your current draft essentially prevents development, and it isn't clear to me that it doesn't violate more specific laws governing more specific biomes.

It's astonishing to me the resistance you have to self education on the same topic you're apparently interested in enough to write about. It suggests to me that you are more interested in passing something than passing something good, which goes beyond the mere enthusiasm to participate that I try to encourage.

Thank you for referring to me as a complete idiot, I'll be sure to write that in my resume for the future. :rofl:

All sarcasm aside, again, I understand your point, but I also understand the topic. The fact you believe I don't, while warranted due to past proposals of my own, and I concede that, is a bit saddening nonetheless. My suggestion for you is that instead of complaining about my explanation because its too vague for you and, frankly*, you only, perhaps show what edits you wish to see, and then we can see something physical to argue about.

*=No one else has brought up this point, not even the other secretariat that posted here. If they saw the same issue there's a fair chance they would've said something already. Note that this is not entirely a given, but it's definitely possible.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:07 pm

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: the proximate result of your simplification is a policy that doesn't square with basically any understanding of fragmentation, and handles it without the kind of nuance that is essential to policies balancing ecological and economic needs. That's why I suggested you do some research so you can handle the topic with fitness instead of with the written equivalent of a ten pound hand sledge, because your current draft essentially prevents development, and it isn't clear to me that it doesn't violate more specific laws governing more specific biomes.

Thank you for referring to me as a complete idiot, I'll be sure to write that in my resume for the future. :rofl:

All sarcasm aside, again, I understand your point, but I also understand the topic. The fact you believe I don't, while warranted due to past proposals of my own, and I concede that, is a bit saddening nonetheless. My suggestion for you is that instead of complaining about my explanation because its too vague for you and, frankly*, you only, perhaps show what edits you wish to see, and then we can see something physical to argue about.

*=No one else has brought up this point, not even the other secretariat that posted here. If they saw the same issue there's a fair chance they would've said something already. Note that this is not entirely a given, but it's definitely possible.

Point of order, my flippant tone was meant to convey a ruder version of what Sep has been telling you: that you either 1: do not understand this concept well enough to legislate on it, or 2: if you do, you are intentionally writing the most moronic proposal on the topic imaginable. Neither is a sound way to make policy.

I apologize if the level of sarcasm I employed obfuscated that fact.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:48 pm

Inasmuch as Separatist Peoples has a degree in ecology, I'm willing to respect his opinion on the proposal. He probably knows more about ecology than I do.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:45 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Inasmuch as Separatist Peoples has a degree in ecology, I'm willing to respect his opinion on the proposal. He probably knows more about ecology than I do.

Oh, trust me, I do respect him here. My issue is that it seems more like a personal issue for him nd not one that will cause much issue with the actual resolution.

Basically, it feels very unnecessarily nitpicky.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:44 pm

Untecna wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Inasmuch as Separatist Peoples has a degree in ecology, I'm willing to respect his opinion on the proposal. He probably knows more about ecology than I do.

Oh, trust me, I do respect him here. My issue is that it seems more like a personal issue for him nd not one that will cause much issue with the actual resolution.

OOC: I've no personal animus against you. Just against poor drafting. That's why I kept my analysis to nonpersonal factors. Don't flatter yourself.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:59 pm

Untecna wrote:Oh, trust me, I do respect him here. My issue is that it seems more like a personal issue for him nd not one that will cause much issue with the actual resolution.

OOC: I've no personal animus against you. Just against poor drafting. That's why I kept my analysis to nonpersonal factors. Don't flatter yourself.

Please, I wasn't saying you had a personal bias against me. If I did, I'd be far from the truth. I meant what you said was more of a personal issue, and I meant that as me saying you were the only one pointing that out, and you gave it such a twist as to say it was important when no one else before, not even another Secretariat, had made that kind of point.

Essentially, I meant you were only nitpicking at that because you, specifically, wanted more definition. And there is nothing wrong with that, just that I have seen no one, despite two other posters making posts, actually agreeing with that, and seeing as that would probably have been covered by Hulldom or Apato already, seeing as they might find that an issue on their own, it just seems like a personal nitpick because you wanted it.

Edit: That is not to say I won't attempt to appease you. I will add a broader amount of effects to the list, for extra information, but only so much, as per my earlier points.
Last edited by Untecna on Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:11 pm

C Marcius Blythe. I have here a note from my predecessor, Elsie Mortimer Wellesley: "I am puzzled as to why there is this seeming belief that the fauna of the present is somehow so superior to that of the future that we must take decisive action to prevent those future animals from existing in the first place". Perhaps Ambassador Iliana can explain this to us.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:34 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:C Marcius Blythe. I have here a note from my predecessor, Elsie Mortimer Wellesley: "I am puzzled as to why there is this seeming belief that the fauna of the present is somehow so superior to that of the future that we must take decisive action to prevent those future animals from existing in the first place". Perhaps Ambassador Iliana can explain this to us.

"Ambassador Blythe, let me detail for you how not saving these species now will result in quite the opposite of your views", she would reply. "First, let me stress that evolution takes thousands, even millions of years at times, and natural selection, while shorter than evolution, still takes much time. In the immediate, simply waiting is not an option. If that were the case, most of our legislation here covering substantial issues in the immediate would not exist. I know for a fact your delegation would have to have authored some of them. I further will note that fragmented populations would die out before any significant change could be made to them. You must remember that with such a limited gene pool, most would be more or less inbred, and while mutations exist, they are erratic and unpredictable. Simply put, the kinds of situations fragmented populations are in do not always correlate to the ability for evolution to occur. If it were the question of sapient life being fragmented, Ambassador, you would take the same course of action we are: being proactive and not sitting on our butts."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:46 pm

Untecna wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:C Marcius Blythe. I have here a note from my predecessor, Elsie Mortimer Wellesley: "I am puzzled as to why there is this seeming belief that the fauna of the present is somehow so superior to that of the future that we must take decisive action to prevent those future animals from existing in the first place". Perhaps Ambassador Iliana can explain this to us.

"Ambassador Blythe, let me detail for you how not saving these species now will result in quite the opposite of your views", she would reply. "First, let me stress that evolution takes thousands, even millions of years at times, and natural selection, while shorter than evolution, still takes much time. In the immediate, simply waiting is not an option. If that were the case, most of our legislation here covering substantial issues in the immediate would not exist. I know for a fact your delegation would have to have authored some of them. I further will note that fragmented populations would die out before any significant change could be made to them. You must remember that with such a limited gene pool, most would be more or less inbred, and while mutations exist, they are erratic and unpredictable. Simply put, the kinds of situations fragmented populations are in do not always correlate to the ability for evolution to occur. If it were the question of sapient life being fragmented, Ambassador, you would take the same course of action we are: being proactive and not sitting on our butts."

C Marcius Blythe. Your overwrought claims of extinction are untrue. Your proposal does not say "determine that some population is unsustainable due to its fragmentation and then, if so, bring it together". It says "where there is fragmentation, get rid of it". There are no contingencies on your strange claims of inbreeding or limited gene pools.

As to the matter of fragmented sapient populations. We in fact do have a consistent view on this topic. After significant thought, the United Commonwealth's does not make first contact with isolated peoples, especially if they might be susceptible to foreign contagion. Your proposals would bite the same harms.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:54 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Untecna wrote:"Ambassador Blythe, let me detail for you how not saving these species now will result in quite the opposite of your views", she would reply. "First, let me stress that evolution takes thousands, even millions of years at times, and natural selection, while shorter than evolution, still takes much time. In the immediate, simply waiting is not an option. If that were the case, most of our legislation here covering substantial issues in the immediate would not exist. I know for a fact your delegation would have to have authored some of them. I further will note that fragmented populations would die out before any significant change could be made to them. You must remember that with such a limited gene pool, most would be more or less inbred, and while mutations exist, they are erratic and unpredictable. Simply put, the kinds of situations fragmented populations are in do not always correlate to the ability for evolution to occur. If it were the question of sapient life being fragmented, Ambassador, you would take the same course of action we are: being proactive and not sitting on our butts."

C Marcius Blythe. Your overwrought claims of extinction are untrue. Your proposal does not say "determine that some population is unsustainable due to its fragmentation and then, if so, bring it together". It says "where there is fragmentation, get rid of it". There are no contingencies on your strange claims of inbreeding or limited gene pools.

As to the matter of fragmented sapient populations. We in fact do have a consistent view on this topic. After significant thought, the United Commonwealth's does not make first contact with isolated peoples, especially if they might be susceptible to foreign contagion. Your proposals would bite the same harms.

"Strange claims of limited genetic pools? Good sir, I believe that is plenty normal to be seen as an effect of fragmentation, since the amount of individuals as adults is always limited. And to knock on your claim of falsehood for extinction, all populations of fragmented animals, unless some god-sent miracle happens, or in this case, a piece of international legislation passes, there is no hope for a truly sustainable fragmented population. With all the issues that arise due to fragmentation, that have, indeed, been mentioned on this floor, in the proposal, I'm surprised you haven already figured this out."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives