NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Insta-Repeal "Drug Decriminalization Act"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aeisonia
Envoy

Founded: May 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeisonia » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:01 pm

I would 100% support this
Defence Alert Level [DEFALLEV]
[2]
Top National Stocks
AUS ↓ 0.234%
NRM ↑ 1.34%
AGA ↑ 4.87%
HGG ↑ 3.00%
PAS ↑ 1.23%
Post-societal-collapse authoritarian corporate cyberpunk hell

This nation is a perfect representation of my views.

"Dissent? Crushed. Human Rights? Never existed. Opposing countries? Obliterated. Godmodders? Hung from a streetlamp. Minorites? Forced to the dig their own graves and shot. Your sole purpose in life? Spend money, procreate, and die. Hotel? Trivago." -Neos Realm

Anthem:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRMgRvlphJ4

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:21 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:Only two short clauses arguing against the mandates and the rest attacking the preamble? I’m sure you can do better ;)

Clauses added attacking one of the problematic definitions which I believe to be significant and the failure of the proposal to address a key component of the issue

Additionally it wouldn't ordinarily be par for the course for me to spend much time on a preamble at all however, the preamble is what sets up the basis for what follows and I believe in this instance to be significant in terms of what voters expect from the resolution and why.
Last edited by Abacathea on Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:28 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Abacathea wrote:
Your "gotcha" seems very premature considering you appear to be looking at this through the lense of an American (I presume owing to your references to states) and not beyond it.

Respectfully and equally factually corruption in Law Enforcement is often rooted far beyond the organization and more to the individual(s) perpetuating said corruption. This proposal currently at vote is weaponizing the currentl RL topical nature of current american law enforcement politic to stir emotions in favor of its IG agenda and I don't subscribe to it.

"A state is a state is a state, ambassador. Whether it subsumes itself in some silly confederacy - such an alliance being, itself, a state - or acts on its own makes no difference. A state, or country, or nation, or government, or whatever term you want to use, which outlaws something its people are willing to spend lots of money on, is going to be vulnerable to a certain amount of corruption. I don't subscribe to the Murrkin method of governance, and frankly no one should. It's not parochial for the World Assembly to acknowledge that trade in illegal drugs is one major funding source of corruption in security forces, no matter what method of governance you subscribe to."

"The state" is "the government." If someone said "The American state has enacted policies..." that's very clearly the federal government. Actually, by reference to books and radio, I was attempting to invoke Warsaw Pact states (countries), including the USSR, which often had rampant corruption among their various security apparatus. While you can reasonably make the OOC inference that the target is primarily coming from a North American point of view (I believe the author is Canadian?), that doesn't somehow automatically invalidate its arguments for the rest of the planet. Police corruption is a worldwide problem, and just because the rate is above zero in Portugal and Amsterdam doesn't mean illegal drug money is a negligible source.

It's telling that of the 27 occurrences of the letter string "drug" on the Wikipedia page for police corruption only three are in specific reference to the United States (one under the country heading, one as a general reference to the so-called "war on drugs," and one in the references list).

Your point regarding the fictional nation of Murrika is noted Ambassador, that notwithstanding police corruption (and I think it actually reinforces my point that we find ourselves devolving into this line of thought with regards to the target resolution) should be addressed then by specific legislation, not shoehorned into a proposal to decriminalize something because there is evidence that the two share some cause and effect.

A person once told me, a person is smart, people are dumb. The same cannot be said for corruption in a police force or any powerful established body, people are smart, a person can be dumb. To rationalize international legislation over persons who make bad choices and do not represent the overall is frightening to me.

I do not doubt, under any circumstances that there [i]are bad, corrupt and frankly fucking inept police officers out there. I do however know for a fact, without any doubt whatsoever, that they are not representative of the majority. That the average narcotics/drugs units in police forces worldwide are not festering dens of corruption infiltrated by the black market with officers on the take left right and center.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Adezku
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Adezku » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:46 am

Untecna wrote:"If you don't mind my asking, Ambassador, can you elaborate on this so-called 'destabilizing' effect view you have?"

"Does uncontrolled use of drugs, narcotics, and other addictive substances not lead to exactly that - addiction? This continual need, Ambassador, leads to the user of such substances to waste money and time in acquiring such substances--whereas such could be more productively invested in their duties to themselves, their family, and their country. If such duties go unfulfilled en-masse, it destabilises the nation through unfulfilled services resulting in public disorder, crime, and a potential health-crisis by way of overdoses if the affected nation has not adequately funded their medical services," The Adezkan ambassador furrows his brow. "This, of course, is intolerable. As such, instead of trying to normalise drug use as is done through such acts as the Drug Decriminalisation Act and other such legislation, the member states of the World Assembly should try to do the opposite: ensure that the use of drugs is a criminal offence and punish the criminals accordingly,"

The Baron Makarovich smiles politely and gives a single nod. "I trust this has answered your question, Ambassador?"

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:22 am

Lamenting that clause 3a, sweepingly and broadly mandates the decriminalization of drugs for the purpose of "simple possession" without any consideration towards mitigating factors eg; The quantity of a controlled drug in a persons possession, nature of the adverse effects or addictive nature of said controlled drug or classification of the drug in question,

"Ambassador, for the purposes of my intent when I was co-authoring this resolution with my esteemed colleagues from Honeydewistania, I did not wish to draw any differentiation between the differences classes and categories of drugs. For, the societal evils that manifest upon the criminalization of substance abuse victims are not limited to those using so-called "soft" drugs, as opposed to so-called "hard" drugs.

Naturally, I am opposed to this repeal in its entirety, but I specifically wanted to make my position perfectly clear on that one particular point."
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:05 am

Adezku wrote:
Untecna wrote:"If you don't mind my asking, Ambassador, can you elaborate on this so-called 'destabilizing' effect view you have?"

"Does uncontrolled use of drugs, narcotics, and other addictive substances not lead to exactly that - addiction? This continual need, Ambassador, leads to the user of such substances to waste money and time in acquiring such substances--whereas such could be more productively invested in their duties to themselves, their family, and their country. If such duties go unfulfilled en-masse, it destabilises the nation through unfulfilled services resulting in public disorder, crime, and a potential health-crisis by way of overdoses if the affected nation has not adequately funded their medical services," The Adezkan ambassador furrows his brow. "This, of course, is intolerable. As such, instead of trying to normalise drug use as is done through such acts as the Drug Decriminalisation Act and other such legislation, the member states of the World Assembly should try to do the opposite: ensure that the use of drugs is a criminal offence and punish the criminals accordingly,"

The Baron Makarovich smiles politely and gives a single nod. "I trust this has answered your question, Ambassador?"

"Yes, yes, it does. I disagree, however. It should be the right of the citizens, the people, to decide what they wish with their bodies and health, not the state's or the international community. You'd find that even if you do legalize something, or even decriminalize it, not everyone will become addicted; only some will, and those tend to be the same people as before legalization or decriminalization. In terms of health you can simply provide free universal healthcare like any smart nation. In terms of crime, have a large and capable police force, maybe even using military if you must.

The opinions of the international community may differ, Ambassador, but the passing of the DDA will signal a new age of civil rights to come."
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Gonswanza
Senator

Founded: Aug 13, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gonswanza » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:26 am

"Given the legal status of drugs in Gonswanza, I see no real reason to support or discourage this draft... However, without a noteworthy replacement and a hostile intent to repeal via attacking the preamble (and two clauses, as mentioned before) without criticizing the main body of the resolution, this seems more likely to fall on deaf ears before being pushed forwards by ignorant parties goaded into supporting it without reading through the legal documents in question. Alas, while I'd enjoy holding a neutral opinion, to be frank, I will have to say that I am not in support of this document. Rather, it simply presents itself as an invitation for multiple shorthand "blockers" to pop up should it pass, going back and forth either in support of legalization or in support of criminalizing drugs that may or may not include pharmaceuticals, alcohol and/or tobacco per the terms of said blockers which will then throw local laws for a loop. Adding to that, the decriminalization act is intended to offer a mild alternative, rather than forcing nations from lifting their prohibition, as a suggestion on the path of legalization without causing a legal trainwreck at all levels."

-President Mawar Al-Sherbak.
Last edited by Gonswanza on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Praise our glorious leader Laura Ortiz!
Yea, I sell things. Lots of things. KTO Member!
[GNN] Check [hyperlink blocked] for further instructions or [frequency blocked]. /// Finland holds off Russian advance, Baltic sea turned into a "bathtub from hell". /// Strange signals from space, likely a dysfunctional probe /// New body armor rolling off the line, onto Gonswanzan soldiers /// Canada declares war against the US after a bloody coup. /// Japan deploys infantry to Korea, post-unification.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:39 am

Gonswanza wrote:"Given the legal status of drugs in Gonswanza, I see no real reason to support or discourage this draft... However, without a noteworthy replacement and a hostile intent to repeal via attacking the preamble (and two clauses, as mentioned before) without criticizing the main body of the resolution, this seems more likely to fall on deaf ears before being pushed forwards by ignorant parties goaded into supporting it without reading through the legal documents in question. Alas, while I'd enjoy holding a neutral opinion, to be frank, I will have to say that I am not in support of this document. Rather, it simply presents itself as an invitation for multiple shorthand "blockers" to pop up should it pass, going back and forth either in support of legalization or in support of criminalizing drugs that may or may not include pharmaceuticals, alcohol and/or tobacco per the terms of said blockers which will then throw local laws for a loop. Adding to that, the decriminalization act is intended to offer a mild alternative, rather than forcing nations from lifting their prohibition, as a suggestion on the path of legalization without causing a legal trainwreck at all levels."

-President Mawar Al-Sherbak.

Mr President, I'm going to assume that you only read the comments as opposed to the draft, because you'd note had you read the draft in its current form it no longer simply addresses two clauses. Given that you didn't take the time to read the entire proposal, I have accordingly opted not to read your comment any further than that.

Unteca wrote:"Yes, yes, it does. I disagree, however. It should be the right of the citizens, the people, to decide what they wish with their bodies and health, not the state's or the international community. You'd find that even if you do legalize something, or even decriminalize it, not everyone will become addicted; only some will, and those tend to be the same people as before legalization or decriminalization. In terms of health you can simply provide free universal healthcare like any smart nation. In terms of crime, have a large and capable police force, maybe even using military if you must.

The opinions of the international community may differ, Ambassador, but the passing of the DDA will signal a new age of civil rights to come."

If the passing of the DDA is that significant to your civil rights why not enact it domestically and call it a day? Its certainly no excuse to shoehorn an unsuitable bill through the General Assembly Ambassador.

Greater Cessnica wrote:"Ambassador, for the purposes of my intent when I was co-authoring this resolution with my esteemed colleagues from Honeydewistania, I did not wish to draw any differentiation between the differences classes and categories of drugs. For, the societal evils that manifest upon the criminalization of substance abuse victims are not limited to those using so-called "soft" drugs, as opposed to so-called "hard" drugs.

Naturally, I am opposed to this repeal in its entirety, but I specifically wanted to make my position perfectly clear on that one particular point.

Ambassador, you are yet to convince me any more that all drugs are equally evil than you are to convince me that a bill purporting to be about drug decriminalization is going to fix the many evils you associate with it. Especially considering the evils you appear to be focused on with your proposal are perceived corruption whilst making no effort to address any root issues surrounding drugs themselves such as addiction, welfare, poverty, crime etc...

Your position is noted, ours is very much transparent.
Last edited by Abacathea on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:55 am

Abacathea wrote:Ambassador, you are yet to convince me any more that all drugs are equally evil than you are to convince me that a bill purporting to be about drug decriminalization is going to fix the many evils you associate with it. Especially considering the evils you appear to be focused on with your proposal are perceived corruption whilst making no effort to address any root issues surrounding drugs themselves such as addiction, welfare, poverty, crime etc...

Your position is noted, ours is very much transparent.

"A draft focusing on addiction will be introduced later today by my esteemed colleagues from Morover. Our Delegation is co-authoring the draft with theirs."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:31 pm

Abacathea wrote:
Untecna wrote:"Yes, yes, it does. I disagree, however. It should be the right of the citizens, the people, to decide what they wish with their bodies and health, not the state's or the international community. You'd find that even if you do legalize something, or even decriminalize it, not everyone will become addicted; only some will, and those tend to be the same people as before legalization or decriminalization. In terms of health you can simply provide free universal healthcare like any smart nation. In terms of crime, have a large and capable police force, maybe even using military if you must.

If the passing of the DDA is that significant to your civil rights why not enact it domestically and call it a day? Its certainly no excuse to shoehorn an unsuitable bill through the General Assembly Ambassador.

"Because, Ambassador, we already have. We decriminalized and legalized drugs. Of course, with fair regulation, but who wouldn't? The international community should stand to do the same."
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:34 pm

OOC: No support.
IC: "No support. Untecna wishes for the decriminalization of drugs to pass."

Doge Land
Envoy

Founded: Feb 15, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Doge Land » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:37 pm

It's one thing to insta-repeal a resolution that barely passes. But there's a lot of people voting FOR. So my question is, why (insta-)repeal it if people like the proposal?
this is a signature

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:13 pm

Doge Land wrote:It's one thing to insta-repeal a resolution that barely passes. But there's a lot of people voting FOR. So my question is, why (insta-)repeal it if people like the proposal?

"The authoring delegation is opposed to the notion of drug decriminalization in the first place and seems to be rather offended by the notion that the state, and more specifically law enforcement have a proven track record across member states of abusing drug laws to target disenfranchised populations. It's only natural that they'd want to repeal the resolution- I myself don't particularly fault them for attempting to do so."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:18 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Doge Land wrote:It's one thing to insta-repeal a resolution that barely passes. But there's a lot of people voting FOR. So my question is, why (insta-)repeal it if people like the proposal?

"The authoring delegation is opposed to the notion of drug decriminalization in the first place and seems to be rather offended by the notion that the state, and more specifically law enforcement have a proven track record across member states of abusing drug laws to target disenfranchised populations. It's only natural that they'd want to repeal the resolution- I myself don't particularly fault them for attempting to do so."

"It's hard to see how there are any disenfranchised populations or law enforcement abuse in any compliant member state considering the provisions of the many civil rights and justice resolutions already on the books. The authors are correct to be offended by the notion."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:29 pm

Zodiac bangs a gavel on his podium, then wonders for a moment where the gavel came from since he had an inflatable mallet before.

"I would like to introduce a motion to change the name of this proposal! I hereby demand it be named 'The Drug Re-Criminalization Act'!"
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:32 pm

Godular wrote:Zodiac bangs a gavel on his podium, then wonders for a moment where the gavel came from since he had an inflatable mallet before.

"I would like to introduce a motion to change the name of this proposal! I hereby demand it be named 'The Drug Re-Criminalization Act'!"

So potheads are criminals?
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:35 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
Godular wrote:Zodiac bangs a gavel on his podium, then wonders for a moment where the gavel came from since he had an inflatable mallet before.

So potheads are criminals?

"That seems a tad discriminatory to those who make hats of cookware."
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:52 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:

Ambassador, if I may, I would like to state right now, that i wish you no ill will and there is no bad blood I hope between our delegacies first and foremost.

That said you’ve reinforced my point in a lot of ways with this comment. This legislation was never about tackling the root causes of drugs and the issues drug use presents which would have been a more laudable goal, instead it addresses drugs to “stick it to the man” so to speak. It will fix no problems for drug users, it will not reduce police interactions because the status of drugs is not legal, just not unlawful. Ergo drugs even in quantities consistent with simple possession will still be probable cause to investigate an individual for drug trafficking etc. What you’ve created is a political statement in the guise of an honorable goal, and you are correct, we do not share that view.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:45 am

Abacathea wrote:Ambassador, if I may, I would like to state right now, that i wish you no ill will and there is no bad blood I hope between our delegacies first and foremost.

"I do indeed reciprocate this notion."
Abacathea wrote:That said you’ve reinforced my point in a lot of ways with this comment. This legislation was never about tackling the root causes of drugs and the issues drug use presents which would have been a more laudable goal, instead it addresses drugs to “stick it to the man” so to speak. It will fix no problems for drug users, it will not reduce police interactions because the status of drugs is not legal, just not unlawful. Ergo drugs even in quantities consistent with simple possession will still be probable cause to investigate an individual for drug trafficking etc. What you’ve created is a political statement in the guise of an honorable goal, and you are correct, we do not share that view.

"We have reiterated this point multiple times, but I will make it once more: rehabilitation and tackling addiction is an issue that belongs within its own resolution. My colleagues from Morover are co-authoring this resolution with our delegation, and shall shortly be disseminated amongst the various delegations of the General Assembly shortly. Drug decriminalization is not a political statement; it is a tangible benefit to the masses."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:05 am

OOC: The game's coding automatically sets the title of any Repeal proposal as Repeal "Name of Target Resolution", and the author can not change this.

Greater Cesnica";p="39010063" wrote:"a tangible benefit to the masses."

:eyebrow:
"masses"?! I'm fairly sure that in most nations only a minority of the population uses illegal drugs.
Or are you admitting that your own proposal will encourage more people to use drugs, and saying that you consider this to be a good thing?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Sandaoguo
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 07, 2013

Postby Sandaoguo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:12 am

Maybe I'm very late to this, but when did mentioning the author of a resolution become legal in a repeal? Repeals are supposed to be about the resolution text, not who wrote it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:16 am

Sandaoguo wrote:Maybe I'm very late to this, but when did mentioning the author of a resolution become legal in a repeal? Repeals are supposed to be about the resolution text, not who wrote it.

Good point, even though the clauses in question are complaining specifically about the opinions expressed by the author in the resolution rather than about any other aspect of their nations or [perceived] OOC details.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Sandaoguo wrote:Maybe I'm very late to this, but when did mentioning the author of a resolution become legal in a repeal? Repeals are supposed to be about the resolution text, not who wrote it.

Good point, even though the clauses in question are complaining specifically about the opinions expressed by the author in the resolution rather than about any other aspect of their nations or [perceived] OOC details.

I had considered the way I wrote it to be legal but given this has been raised I would ask for a legality check to see if that is the case please.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:13 am

Bears Armed wrote:"masses"?! I'm fairly sure that in most nations only a minority of the population uses illegal drugs.
Or are you admitting that your own proposal will encourage more people to use drugs, and saying that you consider this to be a good thing?

"The criminalization of drugs and those that use them leads to consequences that extend far beyond merely drug users. The repression of disenfranchised populations under the guise of seeking to eradicate drug use and possession of drugs, high incarceration rates, the waste of a nation's expenditure- all can be curbed through the decriminalization of drug possession."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:21 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:"masses"?! I'm fairly sure that in most nations only a minority of the population uses illegal drugs.

"The criminalization of drugs and those that use them leads to consequences that extend far beyond merely drug users. The repression of disenfranchised populations under the guise of seeking to eradicate drug use and possession of drugs, high incarceration rates, the waste of a nation's expenditure- all can be curbed through the decriminalization of drug possession."

OOC: How many more times do people have to point this out to you? NS =/= USA.

high incarceration rates, the waste of a nation's expenditure- all can be curbed through the decriminalization of drug possession.

OOC: So either create a proposal abolishing incarceration for everything or repeal the ban on executions and then create a proposal imposing the death penalty -- without the 20-30 years of appeals that the RL USA's system allows -- for ALL crimes. Either of those would be even more effective at saving nations' money... [/sarcasm]
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives