NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Disaster Precautions and Responses

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Disaster Precautions and Responses

Postby Morover » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:16 pm

This is my replacement proposal for Resolution 105, which I have a draft for repeal here. Please keep any opinions regarding the repeal of GA105 to that respective thread, and keep this thread open for making this proposal actively better.

The General Assembly,

Recognizing the recent repeal of Resolution 105, “Preparing For Disasters”,

Believing that the niche of disaster preparedness to now be notably empty, and seeking to fill it with necessary legislation,

Henceforth enacts the following into World Assembly law:

1. For the purposes of this resolution, “disaster” refers to any unintentional disturbance of the social order, especially one resulting in widespread death or destruction of property.

2. The World Assembly Disaster Bureau (WADB) is tasked with the creation, operation, and maintenance of systems designed to detect and predict disasters.

3. All individuals or organizations which are responsible for any structures or similar systems especially prone to disasters in the case of failure of said systems or reasonably likely natural event are required to apply routine maintenance to these systems, and create risk assessments as to the probability of any disasters, the scale of the disaster, and feasible ways to ensure that such disasters never come to fruition. These risk assessments shall be sent in full to the WADB.

4. Member-nations are urged to create appropriate response plans to potential disasters, and to initiate the formation of disaster response forces, which should help reduce the effect of any disasters, should they occur.

5. The creation of nationally-based systems in order to gather and disseminate information regarding imminent and ongoing disasters is strongly encouraged.

6. The WADB shall share information on imminent and ongoing disasters detected to national governments as needed, alongside recommended response and prevention plans. Outside of the information directly needed to be shared to any affected nations by a detected disaster, all information disclosed to the WADB by member-nations shall be kept confidential. In extreme cases, the WADB may request intervention by a third-party for aid to be sent to the affected nations, in coordination with the International Humanitarian Aid Coordination Committee.

7. Member-nations met with a financial burden as a result of this resolution are permitted to submit a request for aid to the WADB, which shall be evaluated and responded to promptly, with approval based on the level of demonstrable need for aid, at the discretion of the WADB. In response, the WADB may supply manpower or financial aid through the World Assembly General Fund.

8. Non-member-nations are permitted to submit information on potential or ongoing disasters to the WADB, but information submitted by non-member-nations shall be met with high levels of discretion in order to prove their accuracy. In cases where non-member-nations are at high risk, the WADB is permitted to provide information on imminent or ongoing disasters, on a discretionary basis. Non-member-nations are not permitted to receive the aid, as laid out by this resolution.

9. The WADB is instructed to research techniques and technologies to help detect, prevent, and respond to disasters. In the instance that these techniques and technologies prove useful, the WADB is instructed to make information regarding relevant research readily available to member-nations. The WADB is permitted to make a discretionary call in the case that the research undergone has produced particularly worrying or concerning results, that should be kept out of the hands of potentially malicious actors that it may reach if publicly released.

10. The WADB is instructed to work with relevant committees as necessary in order to ensure that all disaster situations are handled with the utmost efficiency and care.

11. This resolution is not to be construed as preventing or getting in the way of any prior or future legislation regarding more specific instructions or regulations on disasters.

I'm sure I missed something, so let me know.
Last edited by Ransium on Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:11 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Question put.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:18 pm

What is the point of Article 8 if non-members cannot "receive the aid" of the WADB?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:26 pm

Tinhampton wrote:What is the point of Article 8 if non-members cannot "receive the aid" of the WADB?

The intention was to ensure the Assembly that non-member-nations are not barred from submitting information regarding disasters. In my initial writing, it was stated that the WADB would be able to inform vulnerable non-member-states of impending disasters, but I took that out later. I can reinsert it (probably alongside a note of it being evaluated on a case-by-case basis, at the discretion of the WADB) if that would be preferred?
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:15 am

"Opposed due to section 7 which has unaudited and unqualified expense being incurred by the WA. The General Fund is not a bottomless pit. Prosperous member states should be and are well able to plan for disasters, and respond to many, without needing the use of the GA's cheque book."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:21 am

Bananaistan wrote:"Opposed due to section 7 which has unaudited and unqualified expense being incurred by the WA. The General Fund is not a bottomless pit. Prosperous member states should be and are well able to plan for disasters, and respond to many, without needing the use of the GA's cheque book."

Sebastion Crew, Political Instability Advisor for the Morovian Department on the World Assembly, and primary author of this proposal.
"I would agree that the General Fund is not a bottomless pit, but I think it reasonable for nations to be able to submit requests for aid, should it be necessary. You are correct that prosperous member-states should be able to plan for disasters, but not all member-states are prosperous, and they should not be punished for that disposition. As stands, the requests are processed on a case-by-case basis. If it would ease your mind, we can change it to more explicitly supply aid based on need, rather than mere want."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:02 am

Morover wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:What is the point of Article 8 if non-members cannot "receive the aid" of the WADB?

The intention was to ensure the Assembly that non-member-nations are not barred from submitting information regarding disasters. In my initial writing, it was stated that the WADB would be able to inform vulnerable non-member-states of impending disasters, but I took that out later. I can reinsert it (probably alongside a note of it being evaluated on a case-by-case basis, at the discretion of the WADB) if that would be preferred?

Reasonable to allow this, I think, especially if & where those potential disasters might cause a flow of refugees into member nations.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:19 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Morover wrote:The intention was to ensure the Assembly that non-member-nations are not barred from submitting information regarding disasters. In my initial writing, it was stated that the WADB would be able to inform vulnerable non-member-states of impending disasters, but I took that out later. I can reinsert it (probably alongside a note of it being evaluated on a case-by-case basis, at the discretion of the WADB) if that would be preferred?

Reasonable to allow this, I think, especially if & where those potential disasters might cause a flow of refugees into member nations.

I'll add this in the next draft, but I'm not too attached if anyone feels strongly in the other direction.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:13 pm

The current intention is to submit this promptly following the (presumed) passage of my repeal of 105, which will put submission at 10 August 12am EST, if my math is correct. Still accepting feedback on this.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Team Lennox
Envoy

Founded: Feb 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Team Lennox » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:57 am

"The WADB shall share information on imminent and ongoing disasters detected to national governments as needed, alongside recommended response and prevention plans. Outside..."
Make the above clause look like this:
"The WADB shall share information on imminent and ongoing disasters detected to national governments as needed, alongside recommended response and prevention plans, outside..."
Last edited by Team Lennox on Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
HE/HIM. Use those pronouns! Do NOT assume my gender!

• An American born citizen
  • A teenager doing teenage stuff (I guess)
  • A leftist (remind me to make a dispatch on my beliefs later)
  • A Christian with usually fundamentalists views (except for on the Patriarchist, (Bible wasn't a big thing on Gender equity) and LGBTQ+ rights, (Bible wasn't a big thing on that either) (Also the Mosaic law doesn't let us eat things like bacon and ham since in the Bible pigs are unclean animals. Like how am I to survive not eating bacon! >:( )

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 am

Team Lennox wrote:
"The WADB shall share information on imminent and ongoing disasters detected to national governments as needed, alongside recommended response and prevention plans. Outside..."
"The WADB shall share information on imminent and ongoing disasters detected to national governments as needed, alongside recommended response and prevention plans, outside..."

Um, why, exactly?
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Team Lennox
Envoy

Founded: Feb 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Team Lennox » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:34 am

Morover wrote:
Team Lennox wrote:

Um, why, exactly?

Nvm
Last edited by Team Lennox on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
HE/HIM. Use those pronouns! Do NOT assume my gender!

• An American born citizen
  • A teenager doing teenage stuff (I guess)
  • A leftist (remind me to make a dispatch on my beliefs later)
  • A Christian with usually fundamentalists views (except for on the Patriarchist, (Bible wasn't a big thing on Gender equity) and LGBTQ+ rights, (Bible wasn't a big thing on that either) (Also the Mosaic law doesn't let us eat things like bacon and ham since in the Bible pigs are unclean animals. Like how am I to survive not eating bacon! >:( )

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:47 am

"The Politburo notes and appreciates the change in the funding section but would prefer if it were further tightened. Need is one thing - insufficient domestic resources to cover the need is another."
Last edited by Bananaistan on Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:01 pm

Bananaistan wrote:"The Politburo notes and appreciates the change in the funding section but would prefer if it were further tightened. Need is one thing - insufficient domestic resources to cover the need is another."

Darin Perise.

"I'm curious that you think this is an issue when the nation would apparently not need the aid if they can cover it themselves."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:09 pm

Morover wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:"The Politburo notes and appreciates the change in the funding section but would prefer if it were further tightened. Need is one thing - insufficient domestic resources to cover the need is another."

Darin Perise.

"I'm curious that you think this is an issue when the nation would apparently not need the aid if they can cover it themselves."

"The section doesn't make it clear. If there's a disaster somewhere, it's obvious that aid will be needed. But it's entirely possible that elsewhere in the jurisdiction, there will exist resources, in either public or private hands, which can provide that aid."
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:16 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Morover wrote:Darin Perise.

"The section doesn't make it clear. If there's a disaster somewhere, it's obvious that aid will be needed. But it's entirely possible that elsewhere in the jurisdiction, there will exist resources, in either public or private hands, which can provide that aid."

Darin Perise.

"Please check the new wording I've implemented to see if it suits your request. It doesn't flow as smoothly in my eye, but any perceived ambiguity should be gone if I'm correct."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 am

All member-nations are required to apply routine maintenance to any structures or similar systems especially prone to disasters in the case of failure

OOC: Doesn't that apply to absolutely everything, given there are few/none things that can withstand, say, an asteroid strike? Secondly, privately owned structures and systems should be the primary responsibility of their owners, not the nations. And thirdly, "ALL member nations ... to ANY structures" - outside of their own borders too? What if Nation A doesn't want Nation B coming in to "apply routine maintenance" to their holy site's ruins, if Nation A's main religion forbids touching the site despite it being likely in danger of crumbling if an earthquake hits?

In clause 4, why is "It is also encouraged" needed? Encouraging and urging have the same strength, so you can just write it as "to create [stuff], and to initiate [other stuff]". Also in same clause " should they come to fruition" is odd. The plans? Disasters happen, they're not, by definition, planned.

Ran out of time to do a thorough reading of the rest today, but clause 7 should have something about the nations needing to be unable to do the stuff on their own, before asking for WA money.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:05 pm

Araraukar wrote:
All member-nations are required to apply routine maintenance to any structures or similar systems especially prone to disasters in the case of failure

OOC: Doesn't that apply to absolutely everything, given there are few/none things that can withstand, say, an asteroid strike? Secondly, privately owned structures and systems should be the primary responsibility of their owners, not the nations. And thirdly, "ALL member nations ... to ANY structures" - outside of their own borders too? What if Nation A doesn't want Nation B coming in to "apply routine maintenance" to their holy site's ruins, if Nation A's main religion forbids touching the site despite it being likely in danger of crumbling if an earthquake hits?

In clause 4, why is "It is also encouraged" needed? Encouraging and urging have the same strength, so you can just write it as "to create [stuff], and to initiate [other stuff]". Also in same clause " should they come to fruition" is odd. The plans? Disasters happen, they're not, by definition, planned.

Ran out of time to do a thorough reading of the rest today, but clause 7 should have something about the nations needing to be unable to do the stuff on their own, before asking for WA money.

These should be addressed - with the exception of your note on clause 7, which I feel was already covered by the wording of the clause.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Nyxonia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nyxonia » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:30 pm

Bananaistan wrote:"Opposed due to section 7 which has unaudited and unqualified expense being incurred by the WA. The General Fund is not a bottomless pit. Prosperous member states should be and are well able to plan for disasters, and respond to many, without needing the use of the GA's cheque book."

Valid point, wealthier nations should be able to shoulder most (if not all) of their costs of maintaining a disaster preparedness and response programme. All nations, irrespective of their financial position bear some level of responsibility for maintaining at least some capability.

One of the core tenets of disaster response is known as COG (Continuity of Government). These are the functions that any nation-state should undertake to maintain its own existence and functional response to carry them through the response/recovery phase of a disaster and the return of normal government services to their populations and industries.

anything that comes out of the GA's cheque book should supplement those capabilities beyond what should be within the means of a functioning government. Grants or loans to a nation-state may provide some offset to address immediate life-safety issues but it is not going to rebuild something that was destroyed by a 100 meter tall tsunami, VCI 9 volcanic eruption or an asteroid strike. Maybe it provides food to keep people from starving and vaccine doses to stop a pandemic but it is not going to pay your cellphone and internet bill. Nor will it rebuild factories (other than those providing basic subsistence requirements).

It is cold and harsh but the GA needs to triage disaster response when it is greater than any one individual nation (and some disasters will be continental or hemispheric or global).

Additionally, if the GA is going to send money it is also going to send experts to evaluate how those funds are used to maximize the benefit for the greatest number of people. Sorry, but your fearless leader is not getting a new villa out of this arrangement nor will any form of corruption or graft be tolerated. If it is even suspected then the GA will allocate funds and services; at that point the choice that the receiving nation would have is to accept or not accept assistance.

Tishers of Nyxonia
(The South Pacific)
Last edited by Nyxonia on Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:17 pm

I changed the aid clause a little, taking into account what Nyxonia said. Barring further feedback, this will be submitted immediately following the end of the voting for the repeal.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:32 pm

This has been submitted, following the passage of my repeal of GAR105
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Waldenes
Attaché

Founded: Mar 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Waldenes » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:08 pm

“We support this replacement.”

Cappedore
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 16, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cappedore » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:53 am

The County of Cappedore will be in full support of this resolution, and deem it a stronger upgrade from its predecessor.
- Legislator and current Minister of Culture in The East Pacific.
- Former President, Deputy Prime Minister, Senator, and socialite of the Union of Allied States.
- 18 year old Brit with too many aspirations.
- Member of the Labour Party (UK).
- A fan of Clement Attlee.
Minister of Culture - The East Pacific
(Please acknowledge that what I say, promote, endorse, or oppose are NOT official positions of WAA in TEP unless explicitly stated otherwise.)
President Austin Merrill | Vice President Cleveland Durand | Chancellor Maya Murray

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:49 pm

The Europeian Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote FOR the General Assembly Resolution, "Disaster Precautions And Responses".
Its reasoning may be found here.

Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

URA World Assembly Affairs
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 09, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby URA World Assembly Affairs » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:28 pm

The United Regions Alliance recommends voting against this resolution. https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1581932
Representing the members of the URA in the World Assembly.

Currently run by Suvmia.

Reich Hungary
Secretary

Founded: May 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

I'm for it.

Postby Reich Hungary » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:11 am

I agree for voting for YES, and additionally include it under the defense, legal and military-political decree, in general, in this case! On some related to this political - military tamet.
| David Sassoli | FEDERAL PRESIDENT and KING Reich Hungary | MEMBER OF THE UNITED NATIONS | and |
SPARKALIA and (REGION ?) | LOBBYIST |

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives