NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Factory Farming Ban

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Axmanlandia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Axmanlandia » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:13 pm

Standing up from his diplomatic jacuzzi his injector packs pumping analgesic to counter his morning hangover the axmanlandian representative clears his throat

Although our thriving agriculture industry has very high standards and has achieved high welfare standards this bill makes no provision for emergency situations

In normal conditions high animal welfare is an admirable goal

However if we suffer a war or famine or even a famine in a country of a trusted Ally we may need to dramaticfally scale up production at the cost of welfare until the crisis is resolved

As such we vote against this proposed legislation

Having said his piece he relaxes back into the tender embrace of his assorted aids in bikinis and Speedos and turns the jets up
My country is not run as I believe a country SHOULD be run

It's run how I believe if given access to actual total power I WOULD actually run a country

Warts and all

Axmanlandia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Axmanlandia » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:37 pm

After downing another highball and leafing through the proposal again the axmanlandian representative ambasador visier suddenly stands back up foam and warm water cascading from his speedos

SENTENT!!!!?

a cow is many things my friend's but only an idealist child or a mentally deficient would think a COW is sentient

You may convince me sir that a dolphin ora chimp Is sentient on a sentimental day you may persuade me that an elephant or an orca is truly self aware

At this point as he becomes agitated his voice begins to rise both in pitch and tone

But your assertion that a cow is sentient is stretching the term so far as to reduce it to a meaningless string of mouth noises!

He finishes on a shout and sits down forcefully water slipping over the sides of his diplomatic jacuzzi his injector pack audibly humming as it delivered large doses of sedative to rebalance his humors

It's run how I believe if given access to actual total power I WOULD actually run a country

Warts and all

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:43 pm

Axmanlandia wrote:After downing another highball and leafing through the proposal again the axmanlandian representative ambasador visier suddenly stands back up foam and warm water cascading from his speedos

SENTENT!!!!?

a cow is many things my friend's but only an idealist child or a mentally deficient would think a COW is sentient

You may convince me sir that a dolphin ora chimp Is sentient on a sentimental day you may persuade me that an elephant or an orca is truly self aware

At this point as he becomes agitated his voice begins to rise both in pitch and tone

But your assertion that a cow is sentient is stretching the term so far as to reduce it to a meaningless string of mouth noises!

He finishes on a shout and sits down forcefully water slipping over the sides of his diplomatic jacuzzi his injector pack audibly humming as it delivered large doses of sedative to rebalance his humors

OOC:

sen·tient
/ˈsen(t)SH(ē)ənt/

adjective
able to perceive or feel things.

not self-aware

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:29 am

Sincluda wrote:*snip*

OOC: Out of interest, are you Python or Cesnica? Or just someone who likes the proposal?

EDIT: And anyone who has access to the big regions' internal posting (offsite forums or TGs), do you know the reasonings for them voting against? If they're other than what has been posted here already, would be interesting to know.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Iomallach
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 04, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Iomallach » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:40 am

Involved parties,

Let it be known Iomallach fundamentally agrees with the points put forth. We were founded in inhospitable climes, and have been opposed in principle to the damage done by irresponsible farming practices since our inception. Mostly, for lack of land to waste.

However, we cannot agree to this bill, even in its' now heavily-restrained form. From the first draft, it is abundantly clear the intention is not to ensure the wellbeing of farm animals, nor those who consume their products. Rather, we believe it to be yet another ridiculous attempt to refuse all forms of development in the agricultural industry under the misguided idea that 'natural' and 'organic' will always be inherently superior.

Factory farming is morally wrong. Force-feeding is wrong. Overperscription of antibiotics is a problem far beyond the scope of agriculture alone. All of these are wrong. Using fences to keep animals from wandering into roads, or selectively breeding for healthier stock, are not wrong. The fact that these bans were in the bill to begin with has eroded any trust we had in the intentions of it, long before the absurdly short timeframe to install sweeping agriculture reform that would likely result in periods of great uncertainty for much of the known world.

The only way this resolution would have any wits about it, is if it were written to make those opposed to ethical farming look bad on the world stage.

We have nothing more to say in regards to this manner.

So sign us both,
Gaelear XVI

Reorganized Cleki Provinces
Civilian

Founded: Apr 28, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Reorganized Cleki Provinces » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:01 am

Ambassador Gabriel sits down to read the proposal, a man whispering in his ear all the while. "Ah, yes. Unfortunately, the RCP will have to vote against this proposal. The time frames stated and the language used would have a... detrimental effect to our economy, and it is within our best interests to put the needs of our people and companies above... animals."

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:39 am

Araraukar wrote:
Sincluda wrote:*snip*

OOC: Out of interest, are you Python or Cesnica? Or just someone who likes the proposal?

EDIT: And anyone who has access to the big regions' internal posting (offsite forums or TGs), do you know the reasonings for them voting against? If they're other than what has been posted here already, would be interesting to know.

OOC: No, I just like the proposal (and I am colleagues with Cesnica, but I never base my opinions on authors).

Axmanlandia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Axmanlandia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:59 am

Sincluda wrote:
Axmanlandia wrote:After downing another highball and leafing through the proposal again the axmanlandian representative ambasador visier suddenly stands back up foam and warm water cascading from his speedos

SENTENT!!!!?

OOC:

sen·tient
/ˈsen(t)SH(ē)ənt/

adjective

not self-aware

Quickly tasking his aids with looking through the dictionary the axmanlandian representative concerns this point and apologizes for that statement

However

You did not address my other concerns

In a situation of famine or national emergency when actual HUMAN lives are at stake this bill has no mechanism to relax animal standards in order to increase production

In short myself or a close ally were to suffer a famine this bill would let actual people die so a cow could feel more comfortable

He sits back in his diplomatic jacuzzi and smugly reaches for the decanter to mix another highball

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:04 am

Axmanlandia wrote:
Sincluda wrote:OOC:

sen·tient
/ˈsen(t)SH(ē)ənt/

adjective

not self-aware

Quickly tasking his aids with looking through the dictionary the axmanlandian representative concerns this point and apologizes for that statement

However

In a situation of famine or national emergency when actual HUMAN lives are at stake this bill has no mechanism to relax animal standards in order to increase production

In short myself or a close ally were to suffer a famine this bill would let actual people die so a cow could feel more comfortable

He sits back in his diplomatic jacuzzi and smugly reaches for the decanter to mix another highball

Raiken: "Well, if you were to need to ramp up food production in a famine or other crisis in which your resources are limited, creating more factory farms would be difficult and would consume precious resources. Your solution to a hypothetical problem actually makes the problem worse. And if you are speaking of an ally, I doubt that you would need factory farms to support them, especially since they would also likely be receiving aid from other countries."

Axmanlandia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Axmanlandia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:34 am

Sincluda wrote:
Axmanlandia wrote:

However

Raiken: "Well, if you were to need to ramp up food production in a famine or other crisis in which your resources are limited, creating more factory farms would be difficult and would consume precious resources. Your solution to a hypothetical problem actually makes the problem worse. And if you are speaking of an ally, I doubt that you would need factory farms to support them, especially since they would also likely be receiving aid from other countries."

Nonsense we already have a large beef based agriculture industry

In times of national emergency it takes very little time and effort to relax certain standards like how much space each animal gets during transport ect that can dramatically increase output for a short period of time

Measures like this take no extra infrastructure and very little time to put in place

I wish to ask you if you have EVER spent any time at all on a farm because you genuinely don't seem to understand how they actually work?

Warts and all

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:41 am

Axmanlandia wrote:
Sincluda wrote:Raiken: "Well, if you were to need to ramp up food production in a famine or other crisis in which your resources are limited, creating more factory farms would be difficult and would consume precious resources. Your solution to a hypothetical problem actually makes the problem worse. And if you are speaking of an ally, I doubt that you would need factory farms to support them, especially since they would also likely be receiving aid from other countries."

In times of national emergency it takes very little time and effort to relax certain standards like how much space each animal gets during transport ect that can dramatically increase output for a short period of time

Measures like this take no extra infrastructure and very little time to put in place

I wish to ask you if you have EVER spent any time at all on a farm because you genuinely don't seem to understand how they actually work?

"Well, you were implying that you would need to increase production by making factory farms in a crisis. If you simply have a lot of factory farms to begin with, then I am confused as to why you would even need to bring up that hypothetical, particularly because now you are telling me you have a large beef industry. Your whole crisis argument was useless. I wish to ask you if you have EVER spent any time at all in debate, because you genuinely don't seem to understand how to do it."

Axmanlandia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Axmanlandia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:12 am

Again nonsense

I didn't say we had factory farms nor did I in any way we would be building new factory farms

Check I'll wait

I said we have a strong beef based agriculture industry with potent health and welfare standards

And I also said that in times of national crisis we relax those standards in order to save human lives

Relaxing back in his jacuzzi he turned to his one of his aids and muttered

There let's see if he can find something to deliberately misunderstand in that

Warts and all

Axmanlandia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Axmanlandia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:14 am

Sincluda wrote:
Axmanlandia wrote:

"Well, you were implying that you would need to increase production by making factory farms in a crisis. If you simply have a lot of factory farms to begin with, then I am confused as to why you would even need to bring up that hypothetical, particularly because now you are telling me you have a large beef industry. Your whole crisis argument was useless. I wish to ask you if you have EVER spent any time at all in debate, because you genuinely don't seem to understand how to do it."

Again nonsense

I didn't say we had factory farms nor did I in any way we would be building new factory farms

Check I'll wait

I said we have a strong beef based agriculture industry with potent health and welfare standards

And I also said that in times of national crisis we relax those standards in order to save human lives

Warts and all

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:15 am

Smith: I was unaware that the World Assembly Headquarters had in-debate-chamber saunas.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Axmanlandia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Axmanlandia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:19 am

Tinhampton wrote:Smith: I was unaware that the World Assembly Headquarters had in-debate-chamber saunas.

The diplomatic jacuzzi is the grand viziers personall mobility vehicle he has a registered disability

Warts and all

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:25 am

Axmanlandia wrote:
Sincluda wrote:"Well, you were implying that you would need to increase production by making factory farms in a crisis. If you simply have a lot of factory farms to begin with, then I am confused as to why you would even need to bring up that hypothetical, particularly because now you are telling me you have a large beef industry. Your whole crisis argument was useless. I wish to ask you if you have EVER spent any time at all in debate, because you genuinely don't seem to understand how to do it."

Again nonsense

Check I'll wait

"If you have no factory farms then you should find no problem with this resolution."
Last edited by Sincluda on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:30 am

Due to the inclusion of clause 3 creating ambiguity in what constitutes full compliance with World Assembly law, we have no choice but to vote against this resolution.

Tinhampton wrote:Smith: I was unaware that the World Assembly Headquarters had in-debate-chamber saunas.

It is our understanding that they were originally installed for the benefit of the walrus nations, although those ambassadors usually take advantage of the cooling options provided.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian WA Ambassador

Axmanlandia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Axmanlandia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:40 am

Sincluda wrote:
Axmanlandia wrote:

Again nonsense

Check I'll wait

"If you have no factory farms then you should find no problem with this resolution."

That isn't an argument

That refutes nothing

It's really very simple

We have a strong beef industry with strong ethical practices

But in times of national crisis we relax those standards to a point this bill would consider factory farming

Therefore this bill would prioritize the comfort of cows over the life of people

Please don't just say well you should just agree with me again

It sounds like a child in an argument with a sibling not a debate in this August chamber

Warts and all

Axmanlandia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Axmanlandia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:48 am

Goobergunchia wrote:Due to the inclusion of clause 3 creating ambiguity in what constitutes full compliance with World Assembly law, we have no choice but to vote against this resolution.

It is our understanding that they were originally installed for the benefit of the walrus nations, although those ambassadors usually take advantage of the cooling options provided.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian WA Ambassador

The axmanlandiain representative beam's with joy

You mean you boys have got proper jacuzzi here and I can leave the old jalopy in the car park

Good show

Tapping his butler on the shoulder he mixes a pitcher of highballs and sends it over to the wise representative.

Warts and all

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:57 am

Axmanlandia wrote:

The diplomatic jacuzzi is the grand viziers personall mobility vehicle he has a registered disability

Ooc: a personal mobility vehicle! Oh my god, that image got me laughing real hard

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Axmanlandia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Axmanlandia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:01 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Axmanlandia wrote:

Ooc: a personal mobility vehicle! Oh my god, that image got me laughing real hard

Thank you I genuinely appreciate that

Warts and all

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:06 pm

Axmanlandia wrote:Tapping his butler on the shoulder he mixes a pitcher of highballs and sends it over to the wise representative.

MR. EVIF: We thank the ambassador from Axmanlandia for his courtesy.

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:51 pm

Axmanlandia wrote:
Sincluda wrote:"If you have no factory farms then you should find no problem with this resolution."

That isn't an argument

That refutes nothing

It's really very simple

But in times of national crisis we relax those standards to a point this bill would consider factory farming

Therefore this bill would prioritize the comfort of cows over the life of people

It sounds like a child in an argument with a sibling not a debate in this August chamber

"Alright, so you're in a crisis. Food is limited. You relax standards to process animals quicker. One of these ways is forcing the animals to eat an obscene amount of food to fatten them faster. Of course, this requires... an obscene amount of food. Which is limited. Factory farming is a waste of resources, unless you're processing skinny cows (which still provide very little)."

Pland Adanna
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 18, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Pland Adanna » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:59 pm

OOC: Support. This has an admirable goal/execution and the opposition arguments that I've heard don't make much sense to me.

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:46 pm

Axmanlandia wrote:
Sincluda wrote:"If you have no factory farms then you should find no problem with this resolution."

That isn't an argument

That refutes nothing

It's really very simple

Ambassador Tav: I would like to see what your "strong beef industry with strong ethical practices" are. Guessing your delegation's words, it's probably a load of hokum.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives