NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Protecting Free, Open Source Software Use

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Protecting Free, Open Source Software Use

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:25 pm

OOC: Well, the proposal got defeated. Fortunately, bringing it to vote brought out a lot of feedback that I plan to utilize to redraft and eventually resubmit.

Title: Protecting Free, Open Source Software Use
Category: Free Trade
Strength: Signifigant

The World Assembly,

Defining Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) as software which is both:

1. Free of cost and largely free of restrictions in regards to anything performed on, for, or with the software (such as its usage, modification, and distribution), including both:
    1. commercial (i.e. for profit), purposes, and
    2. purposes which may be illegal in other jurisdictions, with the exception of those illegal under international law, and
  2. Open source, or its programming is available in its entirety and easily accessible to/for all members of the public without restriction, except in regards to regulations on the editing of the master copy of the software to ensure its quality,
Recognizing that many integral components of everyday life, including, but not limited to, digital stores of information and various forms of telecommunications, are at least partially dependent on FOSS,

Acknowledging that without FOSS, many of the above constituents of modern life may never have come about,

Concerned that such an acknowledgment does not go nearly far enough to encourage and repay developers and other supporters of FOSS, protect their ability to freely contribute to FOSS, or protect the ability of others to use and otherwise perform actions with/to FOSS,

Hereby:

1. Requires that all member nations:
    1. recognize and protect the right of individuals and entities to, for any legal purpose:
      1. access any and all FOSS,
      2. run FOSS as they wish, on computer systems where they are legally entitled to,
      3. study and modify FOSS,
      4. distribute original and modified copies of FOSS, and
    2. establish a legal framework in which the owners and/or developers of FOSS can exercise limited rights granted by copyright law over their software to ensure the software and its derivatives remain free and open source to the maximum possible extent, and
  2. Strongly Recommends that all member nations criminalize the act of intentionally acting against legal activities involving FOSS, including any listed above.
Last edited by Clever Homo Sapiens on Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:27 am, edited 48 times in total.

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:35 pm

Clause B in the definition section is essentially redundant if you aren't going to use the definition of open-source, and clashes with Clause A in "human readibility".
Clause A in the same section leaves out other lifeforms in WA nations, and instead solely refer to nonhuman entities as "charities or corporations".
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:36 pm

What is the point of this proposal? You do not explicitly allow individuals to develop FOSS here, and appear to require member states to do little more than promote FOSS to their citizens and incentivise developers of FOSS.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:56 pm

OOC: Is this really an international issue though? Is it really the work of governments to promote open source and preach of its greatness to the masses? Should tbe govenment really shove products down people's throats?
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:24 pm

On Free and Open Source Software

https://imperiumanglorum.wordpress.com/ ... g-with-on/

Use list tags rather than blocktext. Blocktext doesn't work in the proposal screen. Remember to provide a parameter à la [list=1] to get Arabic numbering.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:03 am

OOC: "The Internet" (with capital letter) is the actual proper name of the RL internet and thus Real World Reference, aka an illegality.

There is no requirement for member nations to have an international network (which might be difficult if a single nation covers an entire planet or solar system), so what exactly is the international utility of this?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:26 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: "The Internet" (with capital letter) is the actual proper name of the RL internet and thus Real World Reference, aka an illegality.

There is no requirement for member nations to have an international network (which might be difficult if a single nation covers an entire planet or solar system), so what exactly is the international utility of this?

You are right... perhaps I should just let this proposal die... unless any of you have suggestions that I can use to salvage this, and turn it into something of international utility.

Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:36 pm

Draft #2 is up now. It has been a while, but I am back! Thank you all for your feedback thus far, and keep it coming, everybody!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:29 pm

Provide an explanation as to what Foss means. You use this acronym without defining it.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:14 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Provide an explanation as to what Foss means. You use this acronym without defining it.

I already defined the acronym in the first paragraph of the resolution:

...are at least partially dependent on free and open source software, herein refereed to as FOSS,

But in case you meant in the paragraph in the OP detailing the changes, I took care of it. However, did you also/instead mean the title of the resolution? I originally wanted the title to be "Free and Open Source Software Contributor Bill of Rights", but it seems too long, so I used the abbreviated form.

Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:52 pm

Bump.

Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:54 pm

24-Hour Bump.
Last edited by Clever Homo Sapiens on Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:46 pm

26-Hour Bump.
Last edited by Clever Homo Sapiens on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:08 pm

Are you going to be doing a 29.3875-Hour Bump next and how does STRONGLY RECOMMENDS 3 pass GA#17's tax scrutiny test?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:58 am

OOC: Write out the acronym in the definition, not in the preamble. Not everyone reads the preamble all that closely.

Also, my tablet's proofreader is convinced you're typoing fossa. :lol2:
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:35 am

Tinhampton wrote:Are you going to be doing a 29.3875-Hour Bump next

Hey, whatever it takes to try to get feedback sooner (and remind everybody I am still here, working on this proposal)!

and how does STRONGLY RECOMMENDS 3 pass GA#17's tax scrutiny test?

I don't think it does, so I will remove it. Good call!

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Write out the acronym in the definition, not in the preamble. Not everyone reads the preamble all that closely.

I will spell it out in the definition. However, I was somewhat concerned about people not understanding what it means in the preamble, so I initially spelled out the acronym there. If anybody sees any issues in that regard, I will change it back or spell it out in both places.

Also, my tablet's proofreader is convinced you're typoing fossa. :lol2:

Crappy Spellchecking: How else are computers supposed to enslave us?

Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:41 pm

Bump.

Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:38 pm

Bump.

Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:Don't do that. If nobody has any comments, bumps don't do anything but annoy.

On that note, if nobody has any other feedback to give, I will be submitting this soon.

Also, Fris, I almost had a heart attack when I saw you were the most recent poster! I expected something a lot worse.
Last edited by Clever Homo Sapiens on Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clever Homo Sapiens
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clever Homo Sapiens » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:09 pm

This proposal has been submitted. Could all delegates reading this please approve of the proposal? Thank you.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:12 pm

Pre-emptively approved :P

Campaign telegrams exist.

Jedinsto
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedinsto » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:23 pm

Unconvinced this is necessary

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:15 am

"The people of Bananaistan wholeheartedly support this proposal and rejoice at the blow this strikes at hyper-individualist, exploitative global capitalism."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:30 am

OOC: Exactly how is a "right to program" a civil right? This reads more like "right to profit from one's work" which sounds more like pro-trade (free trade). Exactly what civil rights does this advance significantly?

And does definition (1.b.) mean that the proposal tries to ban prevention of "digital terrorism", that is, you are not allowed to stop people from writing and distributing password crackers, computer viruses and bot programs as long as they use some open source program to create them?

Alternatively the requirement is only for developing the open source code itself, not doing anything with it, which narrows the effect down so far that I seriously question the strength of the proposal.

And doesn't recommendation #2 self-contradict the definition of FOSS? Copyrighted things are NOT free of costs and freely accessible and such, so the moment a developer of the code invokes their copyrights, their code no longer counts as FOSS.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives