NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Military Death Penalty Ban

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:09 am

Straona wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:"Ah, yes, because the justice system is the embodiment of flawless perfection and impossible fallibility. It is easy to say "only if we are really sure", but how can you be really sure? There is no way to be infallibly certain whether someone is innocent or not. History has given us many cases of that."

With all due respect if you got the death penalty you did something really horrible to get it. There is no mistake when you get it.

"Yes, jurors are never wrong and judges are never prejudiced! This is demonstrably untrue."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:10 am

Straona wrote:
Jedinsto wrote:Wrong, it is widely abused IRL and in NS. Even with the death penalty ban, nations can still conscript their criminals to execute them. What you said is just naive and incorrect.

Where is evidence of anyone in NS let alone IRL doing what you just described? You’re calling me naive but you don’t even give me evidence. You know how stupid that sounds? Why would somebody conscript a criminal then execute them? That’s a waste of resources and soldiers.

Ooc: it's literally what people said they'd do in response to the initial death penalty ban.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:13 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Straona wrote:Where is evidence of anyone in NS let alone IRL doing what you just described? You’re calling me naive but you don’t even give me evidence. You know how stupid that sounds? Why would somebody conscript a criminal then execute them? That’s a waste of resources and soldiers.

Ooc: it's literally what people said they'd do in response to the initial death penalty ban.

That ban was unnecessary anyways.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Kingdom of Communists
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Kingdom of Communists » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:15 am

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: it's literally what people said they'd do in response to the initial death penalty ban.

Correct......
Welcome to the Ultimate Kingdom Paradise ! My nation represents my views 100% and communism is what makes it great.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:45 am

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: it's literally what people said they'd do in response to the initial death penalty ban.

Ooc: not really, given the shocking abuse inherent in the death penalty that people in favor of it like to wave away with some strange notion of national rights.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:30 am

Straona wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:"Ah, yes, because the justice system is the embodiment of flawless perfection and impossible fallibility. It is easy to say "only if we are really sure", but how can you be really sure? There is no way to be infallibly certain whether someone is innocent or not. History has given us many cases of that."

With all due respect if you got the death penalty you did something really horrible to get it. There is no mistake when you get it.

"Ask those who were innocently sentenced to death whether they agree with you. Educate yourself on those cases first, before you state something as ignorant as you did just now, Ambassador."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:31 am

Untecna wrote:That ban was unnecessary anyways.

Ooc: not really, given the shocking abuse inherent in the death penalty that people in favor of it like to wave away with some strange notion of national rights.

But that forgets that areas where the criminal system barely, and by very low amounts, incarcerates innocents, as well as better conditions, among other things, like low crime rates, that make the death penalty a barely used punishment, hence why in the scope of NS, where you can use factbooks and improve your stats to say that crime is in check and that the criminal system is extremely fair, such a resolution is useless.
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:35 am

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: not really, given the shocking abuse inherent in the death penalty that people in favor of it like to wave away with some strange notion of national rights.

But that forgets that areas where the criminal system barely, and by very low amounts, incarcerates innocents, as well as better conditions, among other things, like low crime rates, that make the death penalty a barely used punishment, hence why in the scope of NS, where you can use factbooks and improve your stats to say that crime is in check and that the criminal system is extremely fair, such a resolution is useless.

Ooc: No system is without prejudice or error. Declaring otherwise doesn't make it so. You can release an innocent man. You can't ressurect him.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:37 am

Untecna wrote:But that forgets that areas where the criminal system barely, and by very low amounts, incarcerates innocents, as well as better conditions, among other things, like low crime rates, that make the death penalty a barely used punishment, hence why in the scope of NS, where you can use factbooks and improve your stats to say that crime is in check and that the criminal system is extremely fair, such a resolution is useless.

Ooc: No system is without prejudice or error. Declaring otherwise doesn't make it so. You can release an innocent man. You can't ressurect him.

My argument still stands. Deny it all you want, it's true.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:40 am

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: No system is without prejudice or error. Declaring otherwise doesn't make it so. You can release an innocent man. You can't ressurect him.

My argument still stands. Deny it all you want, it's true.

Ooc: it really isn't. A system that provides no remedy for wrongdoing is inherently unjust. It is the foundation of common law systems the world over. I'm not sure where you got the alternative position, but it makes absolutely no sense.

Ionida
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 27, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ionida » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:47 am

Untecna wrote:My argument still stands. Deny it all you want, it's true.

Ooc: it really isn't. A system that provides no remedy for wrongdoing is inherently unjust. It is the foundation of common law systems the world over. I'm not sure where you got the alternative position, but it makes absolutely no sense.

'Ambassador, we would like to interject that our courts have the most lenient of sentences and that the military death penality is only given in the most exceptional of cases, and only when the Supreme Criminal Court has found the defendant guilty of war crimes or genocide (or a similar crime). There are multiple opportunities for clemency, including letting regional courts decide.
Currently, there have been no executed criminals who have been later found not guilty post-mortem.
Surely such a stringent procedure compensates for risk, Ambassador?'
'From devout service arises freedom'

Member of LITA

Ionida's views are not necessarily representative of RL views.
1NSD = 1.16IDD

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:48 am

Untecna wrote:My argument still stands. Deny it all you want, it's true.

Who said none of us had rehabilitation either? With a snap of a finger (and a small typing session) we can change our systems in our nations, again, making the ban on the death penalty ridiculous, and useless.

Another way it's useless is the fact that it doesn't change the policy, therefore it still legally exists.

What surprises me is the fact that everyone that voted for this resolution thought that ones who didn't regularly killed people that were innocent because they were accused. Again, NS, we can say that it's not what happens, and replace it with one of the best systems, it's canon, no issues, no resolution needed. :D

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:53 am

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: it really isn't. A system that provides no remedy for wrongdoing is inherently unjust. It is the foundation of common law systems the world over. I'm not sure where you got the alternative position, but it makes absolutely no sense.

Who said none of us had rehabilitation either? With a snap of a finger (and a small typing session) we can change our systems in our nations, again, making the ban on the death penalty ridiculous, and useless.

Another way it's useless is the fact that it doesn't change the policy, therefore it still legally exists.

What surprises me is the fact that everyone that voted for this resolution thought that ones who didn't regularly killed people that were innocent because they were accused. Again, NS, we can say that it's not what happens, and replace it with one of the best systems, it's canon, no issues, no resolution needed. :D

Ooc: if you're going the godmodding route, I'm not sure why anybody should listen to your input. If you think the Policies are relevant to GA resolutions, you really are brand new to the GA.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:55 am

Untecna wrote:Who said none of us had rehabilitation either? With a snap of a finger (and a small typing session) we can change our systems in our nations, again, making the ban on the death penalty ridiculous, and useless.

Ooc: if you're going the godmodding route, I'm not sure why anybody should listen to your input. If you think the Policies are relevant to GA resolutions, you really are brand new to the GA.

I stated it as an issue to the ban itself, if you really want a ban, remove the policy forcefully and make sure they can't just bring it back by issue or factbook.

Just a little tidbit :)

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:56 am

Ionida wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: it really isn't. A system that provides no remedy for wrongdoing is inherently unjust. It is the foundation of common law systems the world over. I'm not sure where you got the alternative position, but it makes absolutely no sense.

'Ambassador, we would like to interject that our courts have the most lenient of sentences and that the military death penality is only given in the most exceptional of cases, and only when the Supreme Criminal Court has found the defendant guilty of war crimes or genocide (or a similar crime). There are multiple opportunities for clemency, including letting regional courts decide.
Currently, there have been no executed criminals who have been later found not guilty post-mortem.
Surely such a stringent procedure compensates for risk, Ambassador?'

Ooc: Ooc tags mean Out Of Character. This isn't an in character comment and doesn't exist in the roleplay. That said, just because you didn't find any exonerating evidence doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The US certainly believed their system infallible for years before DNA evidence overturned more convictions than I can count. Many from executed prisoners. This is an unconvincing claim to make even In Character.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:56 am

Untecna wrote:

I stated it as an issue to the ban itself, if you really want a ban, remove the policy forcefully and make sure they can't just bring it back by issue or factbook.

OOC: yup. You have no idea how the GA works.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:59 am

Untecna wrote:I stated it as an issue to the ban itself, if you really want a ban, remove the policy forcefully and make sure they can't just bring it back by issue or factbook.

No, no, I do. Just adding to my point that it's useless.

And cracking a bit of a joke.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:01 pm

Untecna wrote:

No, no, I do. Just adding to my point that it's useless.

Ooc: you don't. That's not how GA roleplay works. That or you are being deliberately misleading to convince the hit and run posters that you know what's going on. Neither is good. Either way I'm not interested in engaging disingenuous arguments any further.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:06 pm

Untecna wrote:No, no, I do. Just adding to my point that it's useless.

Ooc: you don't. That's not how GA roleplay works. That or you are being deliberately misleading to convince the hit and run posters that you know what's going on. Neither is good. Either way I'm not interested in engaging disingenuous arguments any further.

GA roleplay doesn't matter on the nation scale, now does it? You can't FORCE us to do anything. Not even with so-called "sanctions" that we won't call canon.

Find a better way to enforce this stuff and tell me when you've done it.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:08 pm

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: you don't. That's not how GA roleplay works. That or you are being deliberately misleading to convince the hit and run posters that you know what's going on. Neither is good. Either way I'm not interested in engaging disingenuous arguments any further.

GA roleplay doesn't matter on the nation scale, now does it? You can't FORCE us to do anything. Not even with so-called "sanctions" that we won't call canon.

Ooc: it's the point of the forum. It's the point of the GA portion of the game. It has been for 15 years. You would know this if you bothered learning about the GA.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 pm

Untecna wrote:GA roleplay doesn't matter on the nation scale, now does it? You can't FORCE us to do anything. Not even with so-called "sanctions" that we won't call canon.

Ooc: it's the point of the forum. It's the point of the GA portion of the game. It has been for 15 years. You would know this if you bothered learning about the GA.

I thought you wanted to stop this "disingenuous argument".

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:37 pm

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: it's the point of the forum. It's the point of the GA portion of the game. It has been for 15 years. You would know this if you bothered learning about the GA.

I thought you wanted to stop this "disingenuous argument".

Ooc: I'd love to, but since new players may make the mistake of believing what you post, I'm here correcting it. Is there anything relevant to the proposal on your mind, or have we exhausted this back and forth where you lie and I correct you?

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:15 pm

The United Regions Alliance recommends that nations vote against this resolution. During internal voting, 3 regions voted in favour of this resolution, 12 regions voted against, and 1 region abstained.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1524379
Last edited by Scalizagasti on Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scalizagasti | iiwiki page | he/him

URA WA Affairs Department Head
Senator in Mariner Trench
Former President of The Great Experiment

Don't let them tell you it can't be done - Jack Layton

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:36 pm

"Anybody that supports this proposal is completely and absolutely fucking insane."
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:40 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:"Anybody that supports this proposal is completely and absolutely fucking insane."

*looms ominously* I'm sure you meant this as in-character but it would be clearer if you indicated who in your nation is saying this.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives