NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Repeal: "Death Penalty Ban"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gujaristan
Civilian

Founded: Feb 06, 2021
Ex-Nation

The Death Penalty Ban

Postby Gujaristan » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:21 am

Greetings to all members of the world Assembly

Gujaristan strongly believes that death sentences are necessary.

In cases of murder and rape, it is the only form of justice that will be satisfactory.

The constitution of Gujaristan itself has approved the death sentence, and it has proven effective in many cases.

Considering this, we strongly believe that the World Assembly must repeal the ban on the death penalty, to therefore ensure justice and peace.

Gujaristan Zindabad.

Texkentuck
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Cry a river for those locked behind bars for life

Postby Texkentuck » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:15 pm

President Schirkophf slams fist down and states I hope the next proposal is better than this.....We have a strong prison system and don't need the death penalty. Many people are innocently executed and our nation isn't going to take that risk. We can keep the morons and the worst locked up for life. Texkentuck doesn't live in the days of old. We are a strong nation with an iron fist filled with heart moving forward with the pursuit of justice. We remember we ared called to protect life, practice mercy, and reject vengeance.

Hope the next proposal is something as stated below.........

Thankfully this repeal looks to pass. I believe the best way to move forward is to have a proposal for something economic that will help the nations prison systems and close the inequality gap between the rich and poor. I won't vote for something that is straight out communist but will vote for a sound policy in which nations citizens who make over 150,000 from every nation will lose only 20,000 in gains that will go towards workers and close the inequality gap. The poor will always be amongst society. Would like to see a proposal for the American Worker in my nation. I also believe their should be something in the next proposal that will benefit the rich too. Perhaps in the next proposal for those who make over 150,000 nations with the policy of a high tax with a high tax over 50% w will be forced into taking a tax of only 50%. This will improve our income wealth gap.

That's the proposal I would like to see in which no one wins based on their view but we slightly close the wealth gap.

Alpha Carinae
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 06, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpha Carinae » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:57 am

In the Kingdom of Alpha Carinae, we long ago banned the death penalty. We believe in the sanctity of all life and wish to give all people the best chance possible to reform their lives and atone for their actions. Our judicial system is robust enough that the death penalty simply is not necessary any longer: while there is always the chance of something going wrong in any society, we have the capability to protect our people from even the most violent criminals without needlessly shortening their lives.

That said, we also recognize that not all nations have this same ability to protect their society without the death penalty. We respect each nation's right to self-determination and while we personally see the death penalty as abhorrent and unnecessary and dream of a day when it is no longer needed on a worldwide scale, we recognize that this dream is not currently possible. Alpha Carinae votes to support the repeal.

Pax,

Sir Francis Walker
Ambassador to the World Assembly from Alpha Carinae

Hexxon
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 19, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hexxon » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:57 am

Hexxon votes FOR repealing the "Death Penalty Ban".
Hexxon fully supports the nullification of this bill. There are certain extreme circumstances where nations need to be able to apply the death penalty in order to protect their own national security. Mass murderers, serial rapists, and war criminals are all cases where the only form of justice is execution.

To those who still stand opposed to our viewpoint, consider the following scenario.

Say for the sake of argument there is a convict imprisoned for multiple counts of murder and sexual assault, and this prisoner is serving a life sentence for their heinous acts. This inmate continuously attacks other prisoners and has made multiple attempts to kill others whenever the opportunity arises. They don't care for being sent to solitary or other corrective measures. This prisoner obviously poses a liability to the detention facility in which they reside, therefore the only way to ensure the safety of their fellow inmates and guards is to execute them.

However let me be clear - I believe the death penalty should only be used sparingly. State-prescribed execution should only be used in exceptional cases where the individual in question poses a great danger to others.
Just some nation who sometimes comments on WA proposals.

Flumeno
Civilian

Founded: Dec 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Flumeno » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:18 am

Ardiveds wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:OOC: There is no judicial system anywhere which is not fallible to error. The involvement of human beings, whom inherently are not perfect, exacerbates this problem. Furthermore, while it is true that many nations will try not to discriminate, biases are inherent in judicial systems, since, again, humans are not perfect creatures. Furthermore, it's more about the risk of despotic regimes utilizing the death penalty in such a manner while superficially appearing in compliance with World Assembly law.

OOC: As far as I'm aware, the WA gnomes are supposed to be perfect creatures and currently, all executions in the WA go through them. Second, how many people have been wrongly executed for crimes against humanit? I'm sure it's not zero but is it really high enough to warrant a ban?

If you don't like the WA so much then why don't you make your own WA and make your own rules?

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:32 pm

Flumeno wrote:
Ardiveds wrote:OOC: As far as I'm aware, the WA gnomes are supposed to be perfect creatures and currently, all executions in the WA go through them. Second, how many people have been wrongly executed for crimes against humanit? I'm sure it's not zero but is it really high enough to warrant a ban?

If you don't like the WA so much then why don't you make your own WA and make your own rules?

OOC: I urge you not to put words in my mouth.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Previous

Return to WA Archives