NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Water Fluoridation Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:38 pm

In the unlikely event that this resolution does pass, I have preemptively drafted a repeal of this Act: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=495817
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Neo-Notre Patrie
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Notre Patrie » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:16 pm

To clarify, according to cancer.org, the CDC has said there's no credible correlation of cancer and fluoride; and it's naturally found in groundwater.
They mention multiple decades long studies (one 40 year one) that haven't been able to find evidence.

Remember that correlation does not mean causation anyway, so if book reading and the housing market go up at the same time, doesn't mean they're related; and that's why larger sample sizes, and mitigating any non-tested factors is necessary in a study, and it should be from a credible source.

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:02 pm

Middle Barael wrote:Does anyone have any information on whether this may be harmful to animals and plants, getting fluorine-laced water?

According to the CDC, water fluoridation is "safe for the environment." In Montreal, fluoridating municipal water did not lead to a noticeable rise in the fluoride concentration in its river. Lastly, standard fluoride concentrations of 0.8 to 1.5 mg/L do not lead to significant risk towards marine life and the contamination of soil.

Sources:
https://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/pdf/pollick.pdf
https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/p ... 80.10.1230
https://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_ ... /l-3/7.htm
Scalizagasti | iiwiki page | he/him

URA WA Affairs Department Head
Senator in Mariner Trench
Former President of The Great Experiment

Don't let them tell you it can't be done - Jack Layton

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:18 pm

Fluorine-laced water is impossible. Any gaseous fluorine would react with the water and turn itself into acid and oxygen gas. https://www.chemistryscl.com/reactions/ ... /index.php.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Swissmas
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Swissmas » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Official Statement From the Swissmas Delegation to the World Assembly:

While such a matter as the health of the citizens of a nation is of utmost importance, Swissmas stands strong in its belief that health advocacy groups should remain as educational resources rather than regulatory bodies. Such regulations should be dealt with by lawmakers in each member nation. Swissmas, however, does recognize the goal of this act to reduce the onset of tooth decay in each member nation. Therefore, the new bureau that this resolution seeks to create should only be responsible for measuring fluoride levels in each member nation's water supply and giving recommendations as to how the member nation can use fluoride to improve dental health. Under no circumstance should this bureau be given the power to mandate their fluoride recommendations on member nations.

It is of the reasons provided above that the Swissmas delegation wishes to vote against this resolution, unless clauses 5 and 6 are stricken from it.
Last edited by Swissmas on Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Underwater Sovereignties
Attaché

Founded: Apr 16, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Proposal Does Not Address Alternate Water Sources

Postby Underwater Sovereignties » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:12 pm

The Federation of Underwater Sovereignties rejects this resolution due to the fact that it does not address non-conventional methods of attaining drinking water. As a primarily subaquatic entity that relies mostly on seawater desalination, the nation cannot fluoridate the original source of its drinking water due to environmental concerns. The artificial fluoridation of the nation's oceans, despite natural concentrations of flouride in seawater, is simply unnecessary and could result in a host of unknown complications for marine life and subaquatic settlements. The nation does practice water fluoridation, but the laws of our nation establish that all drinking water from the sea must be fluorinated after it undergoes desalination (in other words, fluoride may not be added into the ocean); that is the only way we will be able to comply with this proposal.
Last edited by Underwater Sovereignties on Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 22 times in total.

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:00 am

Underwater Sovereignties wrote:The Federation of Underwater Sovereignties rejects this resolution due to the fact that it does not address non-conventional methods of attaining drinking water. As a primarily subaquatic entity that relies mostly on seawater desalination, the nation cannot fluoridate the original source of its drinking water due to environmental concerns. The artificial fluoridation of the nation's oceans, despite natural concentrations of flouride in seawater, is simply unnecessary and could result in a host of complications for marine life and subaquatic settlements, many of which are unknown. The nation does practice water fluoridation, but the laws of our nation establish that all drinking water from the sea must be fluorinated after it undergoes desalination (in other words, fluoride may not be added into the ocean); that is the only way we will be able to comply with this proposal.

"The term 'public drinking water sources' was definied as 'a water supply system that provides water used for sapient consumption for at least 20% of the year, including treatment, storage, transportation, and distribution.' This means that fluoridation could be done at any point in the water supply system, not necessarily the very beginning. This means that you will not be required to dump fluoride into the ocean, and your current practices would indeed fall within the defined scope."

UNOE
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby UNOE » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:09 pm

This act, is Global over reach. There is no humanitarian crisis, or global threats, or civil rights being addressed. This is simply an over reach at its finest. Therefore vote no or change your vote to no. Voting yes sets a very dangerous precedent, for even more over reach. Therefore I urge you to vote no on this bill. If we don't our sovereignty as individual nations will corrode and decay. Instead of regulating promote the education of such things that relate to health and health issues. By educating, you allow the choice of each nation, and each international company or companies at the nation level. I urge you to vote no and reject this legislation.

Daveburg
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Daveburg » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Daveburg completely concurs, as this matter clearly should be left up to individual nations. I support the IBWS in principle for reasearch or guidance. Clause 5 is the real dealbreaker for us. Until this changes, or if it doesn’t change, Daveburg will keep their vote as no.
"All I want for Christmas is 57 unmarked vans full of candy canes and nuclear waste"

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:10 am

UNOE wrote:This act, is Global over reach. There is no humanitarian crisis, or global threats, or civil rights being addressed. This is simply an over reach at its finest. Therefore vote no or change your vote to no. Voting yes sets a very dangerous precedent, for even more over reach. Therefore I urge you to vote no on this bill. If we don't our sovereignty as individual nations will corrode and decay. Instead of regulating promote the education of such things that relate to health and health issues. By educating, you allow the choice of each nation, and each international company or companies at the nation level. I urge you to vote no and reject this legislation.

"National sovereignty is not a compelling argument. When your country joined the World Assembly, they knowingly forfeited some of their sovereignty to, in turn, receive the benefits of membership."

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:37 am

Scalizagasti wrote:
UNOE wrote:This act, is Global over reach. There is no humanitarian crisis, or global threats, or civil rights being addressed. This is simply an over reach at its finest. Therefore vote no or change your vote to no. Voting yes sets a very dangerous precedent, for even more over reach. Therefore I urge you to vote no on this bill. If we don't our sovereignty as individual nations will corrode and decay. Instead of regulating promote the education of such things that relate to health and health issues. By educating, you allow the choice of each nation, and each international company or companies at the nation level. I urge you to vote no and reject this legislation.

"National sovereignty is not a compelling argument. When your country joined the World Assembly, they knowingly forfeited some of their sovereignty to, in turn, receive the benefits of membership."

“Well ambassador, it seems to be compelling enough to most voters in this case.”
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Imperium Germaniae
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Germaniae » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Scalizagasti wrote:

With all due respect, the World Assembly should not be all encompassing powerful being that forces nations to do everything it wants. As UNOE said, it will create a dangerous precedent. The German delegations believes that the World Assembly should only pass resolutions that are necessary in a crisis or protects basic human rights and needs. This takes the regulations of the World Assembly a step further than it should be, and our nation opposes it.
A world where Germany took a democratic path after winning the Great War. This does not represent my political views and is simply a simulation of a nation.
Overview Parliament Makeup Embassy Program

Co-Founder of the International Consortium of Democratic Nations

Myworldandthebestworld
Civilian

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

no water fluoridation act

Postby Myworldandthebestworld » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:06 pm

It's not worth it and no wonder more people disaggre than agree

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:22 pm

Imperium Germaniae wrote:
Scalizagasti wrote:

With all due respect, the World Assembly should not be all encompassing powerful being that forces nations to do everything it wants. As UNOE said, it will create a dangerous precedent. The German delegations believes that the World Assembly should only pass resolutions that are necessary in a crisis or protects basic human rights and needs. This takes the regulations of the World Assembly a step further than it should be, and our nation opposes it.

"Ambassador, the World Assembly does not require precedent and has already regulated domestic concerns where the international community believes there is a salient reason to do so. Precedent is either irrelevant or has already been set by your standard."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Imperium Germaniae
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Germaniae » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:33 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Imperium Germaniae wrote:With all due respect, the World Assembly should not be all encompassing powerful being that forces nations to do everything it wants. As UNOE said, it will create a dangerous precedent. The German delegations believes that the World Assembly should only pass resolutions that are necessary in a crisis or protects basic human rights and needs. This takes the regulations of the World Assembly a step further than it should be, and our nation opposes it.

"Ambassador, the World Assembly does not require precedent and has already regulated domestic concerns where the international community believes there is a salient reason to do so. Precedent is either irrelevant or has already been set by your standard."

We understand that. There are many concerns that should be addressed and we support. Our nation simply feels that water fluoridation is less pressing and therefore should not be regulated by the international community and we do not wish others to interfere in smaller matters like this.

We hope this clarifies our position.
A world where Germany took a democratic path after winning the Great War. This does not represent my political views and is simply a simulation of a nation.
Overview Parliament Makeup Embassy Program

Co-Founder of the International Consortium of Democratic Nations

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:47 am

"Water Fluoridation Act" was defeated 9,712 votes to 5,670.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Nova Vandalia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Vandalia » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:28 am

I was Against it, on my WA nation, but you know what darn good try. Like Kudos for writing this up and getting it out there. ^-^
If my tone is coming off as a little harsh, please call me out on it, I rarely mean to come off that way.

Be Ruthless to Systems, Be Kind to People.

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:52 am

OOC: As a side note, I generally hate any resolution that attempts to codify a "daily issue" ... especially on such trivial matters.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:18 pm

Retired WerePenguins wrote:OOC: As a side note, I generally hate any resolution that attempts to codify a "daily issue" ... especially on such trivial matters.

OOC: At least it wasn't the colour of the toothpaste this time. :P Or was it the flavour of toothpaste? I forget...
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives