NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Sierra Lyricalia

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Commend Sierra Lyricalia

Postby Cretox State » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:57 am

"A versatile and outstanding nation, Sierra Lyricalia is fully deserving of recognition by this venerable body. Yes, we asked for permission. No, this shouldn't violate Rule 1. As always, any feedback is appreciated."

Commend Sierra Lyricalia

The Security Council,

Saluting Sierra Lyricalia, as well as its affiliated delegations and territories, as an incredibly versatile nation whose remarkable contributions to vastly different and equally essential areas of international concern are only fully recognized by a few,

Impressed by the outstanding efforts of Sierra Lyricalia's uniquely competent World Assembly delegation, as exemplified by:

1. their authorship of AI Coexistence Protocol, a General Assembly resolution which made significant strides towards the peaceful coexistence of synthetic and biological life while preventing the development of a catastrophic information singularity, and
  2. their continuous efforts to assist other delegations with the authoring and revision of potential legislation, as aptly demonstrated by their vital role in the drafting and passage of:
    1. Anti-Counterfeiting Pact, a General Assembly resolution designed to protect commerce and foster international goodwill by cracking down on counterfeit legal tender, and
    2. Repeal: "Promotion of Recycling", a General Assembly resolution that repealed a critically flawed prior resolution for poor execution, incoherent language, and infeasible mandates,
Expanding on the particular talents and alcohol intake of the Lyrical delegation, which has historically been represented by individuals such as Stephenie Zakalwe, a former ambassador renowned for her skills as an astronaut and her role in rescuing a kidnapped diplomat,

Recognizing the nation's efforts to directly streamline the running of national governments throughout the multiverse by presenting colloquially written and easily understandable dossiers of options to national leaders regarding an assortment of nationally significant issues, including:

1. Dossier #436, "Votes, Place Your Bets!" in which national leaders were presented the options of outlawing gambling on elections, implementing state-run gambling on elections, and legalizing private gambling on elections in response to the issue of offshore betting lines being used to predict election outcomes,
  2. Dossier #451, "A Proselyte To Burn," in which controversy over the burning of religious texts was brought to the attention of national leaders, who could deal with the problem by permitting the burning of books, burning or dispatching the author responsible for the burning, or protecting all books from burning, and
  3. Dossier #724, "Your Stuff Is Forfeit," in which national leaders could decisively respond to the issue of criminal asset forfeiture by choosing to ban the practice, permit forfeiture by police, or place forfeiture under government authority,
Revering the target's devotion to the founderless and frequently targeted region of Anarchy, a devotion readily apparent through Sierra Lyricalia's work in protecting their region from foreign invasion by serving as Principal-Agent of said region, in addition to acting as Delegate on several occasions,

Acclaiming the immense contributions of Sierra Lyricalia's military forces to the fight against fascism and similarly dangerous ideologies throughout the multiverse through the use of proxy states such as Lyrical International Brigade, including:

1. rising to the rank of Squadron Admiral in the Huey P. Newton Squadron of The Red Fleet, the penultimate position attainable in a venerable military organization commended by this body for combating fascism, and maintaining the Fleet's current staging point,
  2. leading the invasion of Apartheid South Africa, an old and vile region infamous for their disgusting promotion of dangerous ideology,
  3. staging and pointing missions out of The Rainbow Fleet, which were instrumental to the 3-day operation culminating in the fall of The Iron Confederacy, and
  4. lending vital support to raids against other fascist regions, ensuring that such regions were annihilated and forever ripped from fascist hands,
Hereby commends Sierra Lyricalia.

Co-authored by Honeydewistania.

Commend Sierra Lyricalia

The Security Council,

Saluting the critical role performed by delegations of the General Assembly, presenters of nationally important issues, and anti-fascist military forces in ensuring multiversal peace and stability,

Impressed by the remarkable contributions on all the above fronts by Sierra Lyricalia, an incredibly versatile nation which has shown outstanding achievement and competence in vastly different and equally challenging areas of international concern,

Expanding on just one example of the Lyricals' many legislative efforts, AI Coexistence Protocol, a General Assembly resolution which makes significant strides towards the peaceful coexistence of synthetic and biological life while preventing the development of a catastrophic information singularity,

Recognizing the nation's efforts to directly streamline the running of national governments throughout the multiverse by presenting colloquially-written and easily understandable dossiers of options to national leaders regarding an assortment of nationally significant issues, including:

1. Dossier #436, "Votes, Place Your Bets!" in which national leaders were presented the options of outlawing gambling on elections, implementing state-run gambling on elections, and legalizing private gambling on elections in response to the issue of offshore betting lines being used to predict election outcomes,
  2. Dossier #451, "A Prosthelytizer To Burn," in which controversy over the burning of religious texts was brought to the attention of national leaders, who could deal with the problem by permitting the burning of books, burning or dispatching the author responsible for the burning, or protecting all books from burning, and
  3. Dossier #724, "Your Stuff Is Forfeit," in which national leaders could decisively respond to the issue of criminal asset forfeiture by choosing to ban the practice, permit forfeiture by police, or place forfeiture under government authority,
Revering the immense contributions of Sierra Lyricalia's military forces to the fight against fascism throughout the multiverse, including:

1. serving as Squadron Admiral of the Huey P. Newton Squadron of The Red Fleet, and maintaining the Fleet's current staging point,
  2. staging and pointing missions out of The Rainbow Fleet, which were instrumental to the 3-day operation culminating in the fall of The Iron Confederacy,
  3. preserving over twenty-three destroyed fascist regions as memorials to the fight against fascism, including but not limited to The Fourth International, United Arkadia, The Communist Yeets, The Coalition of Steel, The Communist Union, and American Patriot Militia,
Adding that the World Assembly delegation of Sierra Lyricalia is widely hailed as a force for good, an unyielding provider of advice and support to newer delegations, and an ever-welcome figure at the World Assembly Strangers' Bar under the representation of one Leonid Berkman Pavonis,

Hereby commends Sierra Lyricalia.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:04 am, edited 23 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:43 am

preserving over twenty-three destroyed fascist regions as memorials to the fight against fascism, including but not limited to The Fourth International, United Arkadia, The Communist Yeets, The Coalition of Steel, The Communist Union, and American Patriot Militia

Holding 23 trophy regions is hardly an achievement. Put them on a login script and never look at it again.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Support.

I'm quite enamoured with the representation of Issues as "problem exists, nations provide the options" - to me, it feels much better than other Commend-style representations of Issues. That said, "Menus" of options is an incredibly weird way of putting it. It's not a deal-breaker, but "lists" or "dossiers" would be much more fitting for a piece of international legislation IMO.

It might also be worth mentioning SL's contributions to other communities, such as Haiku through their puppet Logophilia Lyricalia.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:16 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:I'm quite enamoured with the representation of Issues as "problem exists, nations provide the options" - to me, it feels much better than other Commend-style representations of Issues. That said, "Menus" of options is an incredibly weird way of putting it. It's not a deal-breaker, but "lists" or "dossiers" would be much more fitting for a piece of international legislation IMO.

OOC: I changed it to "dossiers."
Last edited by Cretox State on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:22 pm

It may be worth ditching the issue numbers and instead just give the titles - the repeated use of the phrase "Dossier" in the examples you give becomes repetitive, and I'm unsure how it would look with just the numbers.

Your first clause ("Saluting...") also seems a bit off to me right now, but I don't know why. Perhaps it's because you group the General Assembly (an organization) with "presenters..." (individuals) and "anti-fascist military forces" (groups of individuals). I don't know entirely how to fix it, nor am I sure if it is an issue at all beyond my own sleep-deprived mind, but I figure it's worth pointing out either way. Perhaps a greater reflection of SL as an individual as opposed to generalizing the groups that they are a part of would be more accurate - it's weird because I do the same thing a lot of the time, I'm just unsure if it works when it applies to someone who has contributed to a vast variety of subjects.

I also think that the significance of their helping in the drafting of GA proposals should be better expressed - I assume that's what you were going for in the latter part of the second clause, but it is not very explicit.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:25 pm

Morover wrote:It may be worth ditching the issue numbers and instead just give the titles - the repeated use of the phrase "Dossier" in the examples you give becomes repetitive, and I'm unsure how it would look with just the numbers.

Your first clause ("Saluting...") also seems a bit off to me right now, but I don't know why. Perhaps it's because you group the General Assembly (an organization) with "presenters..." (individuals) and "anti-fascist military forces" (groups of individuals). I don't know entirely how to fix it, nor am I sure if it is an issue at all beyond my own sleep-deprived mind, but I figure it's worth pointing out either way. Perhaps a greater reflection of SL as an individual as opposed to generalizing the groups that they are a part of would be more accurate - it's weird because I do the same thing a lot of the time, I'm just unsure if it works when it applies to someone who has contributed to a vast variety of subjects.

I also think that the significance of their helping in the drafting of GA proposals should be better expressed - I assume that's what you were going for in the latter part of the second clause, but it is not very explicit.

OOC: Interesting. I could combine "Saluting..." with the clause beneath it, bump everything up, and use "Expanding.." to talk about drafting. That'll make it flow better while preserving the acrostic. I'll also see how it looks without the "Dossier #XXX." On further inspection, certain parts of the draft are a bit uncomfortable for me to read, but that might be my own sleep-deprived brain talking. :p

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:21 pm

Darn, I had a fully completed draft ready, but I was dragging my feet in asking for permission... Anyways it’s very weak and mentioning one of the issues is illegal
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:26 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:Darn, I had a fully completed draft ready, but I was dragging my feet in asking for permission... Anyways it’s very weak and mentioning one of the issues is illegal

I'm assuming R1, but which issue? I'm pretty sure SL had retired from editorship prior to the publication of #724, and they definitely weren't an editor prior to the publication of #451.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:30 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Darn, I had a fully completed draft ready, but I was dragging my feet in asking for permission... Anyways it’s very weak and mentioning one of the issues is illegal

I'm assuming R1, but which issue? I'm pretty sure SL had retired from editorship prior to the publication of #724, and they definitely weren't an editor prior to the publication of #451.

According to previous drafts, it’s 724.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:33 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:I'm assuming R1, but which issue? I'm pretty sure SL had retired from editorship prior to the publication of #724, and they definitely weren't an editor prior to the publication of #451.

According to previous drafts, it’s 724.

Huh? The last issue they edited was #614, so it's odd that they were still a member of the team 100 issues later. That said, I'll bow to precedent if it's been ruled illegal in the past.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:41 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:According to previous drafts, it’s 724.

Huh. The last issue they edited was #614, so it's odd that they were still a member of the team 100 issues later. That said, I'll bow to precedent if it's been ruled illegal in the past.

It’s likely they put the issue on the forum before they bowed out as editor, since issues such as those are illegal too

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:46 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:Huh. The last issue they edited was #614, so it's odd that they were still a member of the team 100 issues later. That said, I'll bow to precedent if it's been ruled illegal in the past.

It’s likely they put the issue on the forum before they bowed out as editor, since issues such as those are illegal too

Having gotten back to a computer... it does seem that mentioning #724 is definitely illegal. Oh well, no big loss - that one issue won't make the difference ;)

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:51 am

OOC: I cut #724. Yes, it's not as flowery as this dropped one, but I specifically wanted to keep this one short and to-the-point. What specifically makes this "very weak"?
Last edited by Cretox State on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:18 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:It’s likely they put the issue on the forum before they bowed out as editor, since issues such as those are illegal too

Having gotten back to a computer... it does seem that mentioning #724 is definitely illegal. Oh well, no big loss - that one issue won't make the difference ;)

So there's been another discussion on this, and it's been decided that authored issues published after an IE has left the team can be cited in Commendations/Condemnations.

So for clarity:

You cannot Commend / Condemn for any issues editing.

You can Commend / Condemn for any issues authoring, so long as the issues were not published whilst the author was an Issues Editor.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:40 pm

"Flip-flop flip-flog wink-wink nudge-nudge revert. #724 is included in the draft once again."

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:00 pm

Cretox State wrote:

OOC: I cut #724. Yes, it's not as flowery as this dropped one, but I specifically wanted to keep this one short and to-the-point. What specifically makes this "very weak"?

It's basically three issues and one GA, as well as antifash. Needs to expand on why SL is helpful etc

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:52 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
Cretox State wrote:OOC: I cut #724. Yes, it's not as flowery as this dropped one, but I specifically wanted to keep this one short and to-the-point. What specifically makes this "very weak"?

It's basically three issues and one GA, as well as antifash. Needs to expand on why SL is helpful etc

I’d like to echo this. As it stands in the proposal, SL’s achievements are not enough imo. A single General Assembly resolution? Just one can be a fluke. Three issues are not very many, at least in this day and age. SL’s promotion to TRF’s admiralty is also fairly recent.

I expect there is much more that can be said for SL’s GA resume that will greatly improve the likelihood of this passing. Work on that.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:52 am

Cretox State wrote:an ever-welcome figure at the World Assembly Strangers' Bar under the representation of one Leonid Berkman Pavonis,

Ever welcome maybe, active not really. Last post was May and before that start of April. Looking at the messages, they post in the topic once a month at most.

Edit: Unless they post under a puppet as well, if they do it should be linked in the proposal to avoid confusion.
Last edited by Drop Your Pants on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:41 pm

"We've put up the second draft of this proposal, with Honeydewistania coauthoring."

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:40 am

Cretox State wrote:"We've put up the second draft of this proposal, with Honeydewistania coauthoring."

Who is this clown? Bet they couldn't write if their life was dependent on it!

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:24 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Cretox State wrote:"We've put up the second draft of this proposal, with Honeydewistania coauthoring."

Who is this clown? Bet they couldn't write if their life was dependent on it!

You're right! Their name should be removed from the proposal. What were we thinking?

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:11 pm

OOC: Bumping this.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:47 pm

Added "Repeal: 'Promotion of Recycling'" and will most likely be going forward with this. Also bump.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:04 am

Co-author, not coauthor >:(

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:39 am

Excellent as always, Cretox! I’ll try to have more feedback when I have time.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives