NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Freedom to Seek Medical Care II"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:56 am

“We support this pared-down version of the argument. Gangi þér vel!

-- Júlía Maria Jónsdóttir
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:02 am

Graintfjall wrote:“We support this pared-down version of the argument. Gangi þér vel!

-- Júlía Maria Jónsdóttir

"We appreciate the support, and hope other delegations feel the same way."
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:12 am

"If there are no objections, this will be submitted at the end of the week."
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:46 am

Honeydewistania wrote:"If there are no objections, this will be submitted at the end of the week."

“I see no reason not to support this repeal. Good luck, ambassador.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:42 am

OOC: Hmmmmmmmmm, that Clause 4 argument.

Target Resolution wrote:4: Prohibits member nations from taking legal action against citizens or permanent residents who seek medical treatments or operations abroad, as long as General Assembly resolutions have not been violated,

I think what this says is that member states may not seek legal action against their own citizens or permanent residents who have sought medical treatment in other countries. It's the use of the word "abroad" that makes me think this. So in other words, your home nation can't prosecute or sue you for your medical tourism unless you took your trip out of the country in order to subject yourself or someone else to WA-banned treatment of one sort or another; but there is nothing that says the nation you're travelling to can't charge you with those murders and armed robberies you committed while there, because from that nation's perspective you are not a citizen or permanent resident of that country travelling "abroad" (to a country outside of that one).

Maybe I'm reaching. But maybe not. I welcome arguments for and against the above position.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:34 pm

"Contingent on a replacement, we support this endeavor. We eagerly await Freedom to Seek Medical Care III."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:40 pm

"We approve of this repeal, as medical tourism is a serious issue that needs to be remedied."
I'm a master at arguing right after I hit "submit"

Veni, Vidi, Vici. I came, I saw, I conquered.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:15 pm

Morover wrote:"Contingent on a replacement, we support this endeavor. We eagerly await Freedom to Seek Medical Care III."

"As stated, we are waiting for someone to take on writing a replacement. If needed, I could come up with a quick draft."

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: Hmmmmmmmmm, that Clause 4 argument.

Target Resolution wrote:4: Prohibits member nations from taking legal action against citizens or permanent residents who seek medical treatments or operations abroad, as long as General Assembly resolutions have not been violated,

I think what this says is that member states may not seek legal action against their own citizens or permanent residents who have sought medical treatment in other countries. It's the use of the word "abroad" that makes me think this. So in other words, your home nation can't prosecute or sue you for your medical tourism unless you took your trip out of the country in order to subject yourself or someone else to WA-banned treatment of one sort or another; but there is nothing that says the nation you're travelling to can't charge you with those murders and armed robberies you committed while there, because from that nation's perspective you are not a citizen or permanent resident of that country travelling "abroad" (to a country outside of that one).

Maybe I'm reaching. But maybe not. I welcome arguments for and against the above position.

In my opinion, I disagree. It doesn’t say which citizen or permanent resident, so any citizen or permanent resident of any country that travels abroad to seek medical care is free from legal repercussions. I might be wrong though, so I too ask for other opinions on this.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:33 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

If this is true, then it would still be the case that nation X cannot take action against its own residents for actions committed outside of nation X. And this would then yield an amendment such as

which prohibits a member nation from taking legal action against its medical tourists except for those violating World Assembly law, which could allow such tourists to evade domestic justice;

In significantly more complicated terms: such a prohibition would remove the ability of a nation to impose universal jurisdiction for certain crimes; it would also place nations which refuse extradition to countries with poor legal system into a bind between injustice and facilitating possible violations of their citizens' human rights. It would also make it more difficult for recipient nations to accept medical travellers without strong extradition mechanisms, as an investigatory delay implies that travellers might depart before they can be apprehended.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:39 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

If this is true, then it would still be the case that nation X cannot take action against its own residents for actions committed outside of nation X. And this would then yield an amendment such as

which prohibits a member nation from taking legal action against its medical tourists except for those violating World Assembly law, which could allow such tourists to evade domestic justice;

In significantly more complicated terms: such a prohibition would remove the ability of a nation to impose universal jurisdiction for certain crimes; it would also place nations which refuse extradition to countries with poor legal system into a bind between injustice and facilitating possible violations of their citizens' human rights. It would also make it more difficult for recipient nations to accept medical travellers without strong extradition mechanisms, as an investigatory delay implies that travellers might depart before they can be apprehended.

I’ve amended it

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:36 pm

OOC: Really early draft of a replacement: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=488933
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:13 am

With the arrival of the replacement, a submission will be at least Friday (pending further concerns that are unable to be fixed in the next few days)

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:54 am

Submitted

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:58 am

Honeydewistania wrote:With the arrival of the replacement, a submission will be at least Friday (pending further concerns that are unable to be fixed in the next few days)

OOC: You mean the replacement that's WORSE than the target? The point was that the replacement should be honed up to perfection first.

No support.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:01 am

Araraukar wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:With the arrival of the replacement, a submission will be at least Friday (pending further concerns that are unable to be fixed in the next few days)

OOC: You mean the replacement that's WORSE than the target? The point was that the replacement should be honed up to perfection first.

No support.

There is ample time for the replacement to be refined by the time this goes to vote.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:17 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: You mean the replacement that's WORSE than the target? The point was that the replacement should be honed up to perfection first.

No support.

There is ample time for the replacement to be refined by the time this goes to vote.

OOC: Not the point. Point was support for this depended on the replacement being ready to go AND BETTER THAN THE TARGET.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:26 am

Araraukar wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:There is ample time for the replacement to be refined by the time this goes to vote.

OOC: Not the point. Point was support for this depended on the replacement being ready to go AND BETTER THAN THE TARGET.

You make a good point. I'll consider withdrawing it (especially if a legality issue pops up)

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:48 am

I'm fine supporting repeal without immediate replacement.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:00 pm

OOC: I still think you'd have had a better choice in adding in the bit about sentence-serving criminals needing to be let out of prison and to go haring off to get treated without requirement to come back. It would have helped your flimsy point of illegalities.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:05 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: I still think you'd have had a better choice in adding in the bit about sentence-serving criminals needing to be let out of prison and to go haring off to get treated without requirement to come back. It would have helped your flimsy point of illegalities.

Maybe, but I agree with Graintfjall and IA that it should be short as possible.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: I still think you'd have had a better choice in adding in the bit about sentence-serving criminals needing to be let out of prison and to go haring off to get treated without requirement to come back. It would have helped your flimsy point of illegalities.

Maybe, but I agree with Graintfjall and IA that it should be short as possible.

OOC: Then you definitely should've gone for the sentenced prisoners angle. It's even shorter. :P

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:26 pm

This proposal is officially at vote.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Kus Sikobietordia
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kus Sikobietordia » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I'm fine supporting repeal without immediate replacement.

President stand
Hello Comrades and member. I feel that untill a better bill can be past we must not repeal this bill millons of people from less fortunate countries participate in our Universal Health Care programs if we repeal we will be denying as a country hundreds of millions of people that rely on this program this is just another way for the bourgeoisie capitalist to undercut the working class People I plead to my countries who are socialist countries to not vote for this bill and keep the freedom to seek Medical Care Act 2 Bill alive with no immediate replacement bill millions of people will be out without Healthcare and I hope that the countries that are voting to accept this know that they are accepting the fact that there are people in their countries and their regions that will be without Healthcare
Last edited by Kus Sikobietordia on Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're in revolution
Musa T. Bey
President of The People's Republic of
Kus Sikobietordia

Anistria
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 04, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Anistria » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:52 pm

From: Oscar Lancaster, Anistrian Representative to the World Assembly.

The Government of Anistria shall not vote for this bill. As stated by the Government of Kus Sikobietordia, if we repeal the bill, we will deny less fortunate countries with Universal Healthcare programs of some countries, like Anistria. If we were to repeal Medical Care Act II, we must propose another resolution that will replace it.
Republic of Anistria

"United We Stand"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives