NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Condemn Raionitu

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:23 am

A Bloodred Moon wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:They aren't naive of all invasions, yes, but when a new member shows up and helps out with the community, the naivety is in trusting them fully and instantly (see the 2 weeks thing above). You can be vigilant against external threats quite easily, but my point revolves around the idea that infiltration sidesteps that process and exploits natives' trust and willingness to give new members opportunities.

Wouldn’t know where you got the two weeks thing from - Illuminati required six months. The region, again, was not unaware of the possibility of infiltration, so I would argue that it did take an amount of skill and that the region in question wasn’t as naive, trusting or helpless as most.
I got 2 weeks from Refuge, who kindly quoted the nominee themself -
Don't make someone vice and send a regionwide telling people to endorse them when they've only been in your founderless region for 2 weeks. It won't end well, it's probably me.
I wouldn't know if it's different - I'm just working with what I've got. 6 months is a pretty significant investiture of time, so I'll give you that. Though, I will still point out that they may not have been naive but they certainly would have been weakened by the internal squabbles you mentioned, which could have much the same effect.

And while it's also true that having additional external forces is part of the raid, the "skill" involved in deploying them is less than in an outright raid, as the region has been weakened by the infiltrator (and in the case of Illuminati, also weakened by internal squabbles). And the 140 number is a bit dodgy - that's essentially saying "well they got 90 pilers, gg congrats". Gathering pilers is just going on discord or forums or whatever and saying "hey can i get some more endorsements pls and thanks".

Pilers are underrated :p they do take some level of organisation building, especially in large numbers.

It takes no less skill to deploy updaters with a sleeper - you could argue it takes more, having all your troops move and endorse the sleeper in a matter of seconds.
Underrated they may be, but my point still stands. I could probably get 5+ pilers just by asking some RL mates that play on/off whether they could quickly make a nation and give me a hand, and I don't even do GP. For someone who's in probably multiple different discord servers/regional fora of raider groups, I can imagine it would be pretty minimal effort to gather a decent number of pilers.

As my understanding goes, updaters have to move and endorse quickly no matter the occasion, and my presumption is that the sleeper has enough influence that they can immediately reduce the number of BC ROs, and if they infiltrated to the point of being an RO themself, they could kick some of the others even before the raid starts, which further reduces the ability of the remaining ROs to defend their region.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Daytime to Night
Envoy

Founded: Dec 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Daytime to Night » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:22 am

I am not sure the previous discussion of whether certain aspects of raiding involve less skill (or more) than other activities is a useful conversation in the context of a C&C.

All aspects of r/d are ultimately simplistic, but it takes unique individuals to undertake those activities effectively at a high level, with determination and/or creativity, for a significant time. At all times you are competing with another side that is trying to perform those simple tasks better than you in whatever way they can. So reducing an individuals achievements in r/d down to its lowest level (the basic actions involved in raiding a region, in this case) without context isn't particularly useful commentary.

A Bloodred Moon wrote:From my knowledge, only a single region mentioned above was permanently destroyed by Rai's infiltration work, Illuminati.

This isn't true, District 12 is also locked and destroyed by TBH.

This misses an important point, that the act of raider infiltration creates mistrust in founderless communities. Once a region can't allow new members to progress and contribute out of paranoia that becomes a rot that destroys the community anyway, whether or not the individual is personally responsible for destroying the region. Where are the communities of Communist Alliance, Shadow Proclamation and Laissez Faireholm now? Hiding behind passwords with no fresh blood to sustain them.

Of course Jakker and Jo/A Bloodred Moon would try and play down criticisms of raider infiltration. Jakker did the exact same thing to Liberty Nations Alliance several months ago (thankfully we helped natives resettle in a secure region) and Jo attempted to do the same thing to Portugal in July but was thwarted by defenders from Founderless and the Rejected Realms after pretending to be a native for weeks and weeks.
Last edited by Daytime to Night on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former Minister of Security and Minister for Justice - the South Pacific

Potato General Numero Capatata

A Bloodred Moon
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 13, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby A Bloodred Moon » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:40 am

Daytime to Night wrote:This isn't true, District 12 is also locked and destroyed by TBH.

I don’t believe District 12 involved any infiltration.

This misses an important point, that the act of raider infiltration creates mistrust in founderless communities. Once a region can't allow new members to progress and contribute out of paranoia that becomes a rot that destroys the community anyway, whether or not the individual is personally responsible for destroying the region. Where are the communities of Communist Alliance, Shadow Proclamation and Laissez Faireholm now? Hiding behind passwords with no fresh blood to sustain them.

Communist Alliance moved on to a different region after conflict with the founder, though they later refounded it (I believe). Both Shadow Proclamation and Laissez Faireholm were passworded before the raids.

Of course Jakker and Jo/A Bloodred Moon would try and play down criticisms of raider infiltration. Jakker did the exact same thing to Liberty Nations Alliance several months ago (thankfully we helped natives resettle in a secure region) and Jo attempted to do the same thing to Portugal in July but was thwarted by defenders from Founderless and the Rejected Realms after pretending to be a native for weeks and weeks.

A raid on... Portugal? I never attempted a raid on Portugal. Jakker also wasn’t the point in LNA, to my knowledge.
JoWhatup

Alpha Emeritus of Lone Wolves United - For Your Protection

Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raionitu » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:49 am

To clarify about regions I was point in:
*Illuminati was 6+ month sleeper job to get border control. It was the only big region I would say I really sacked, but we did have the explicit permission of the (former) founder, plus several natives helping and supporting the destruction, plus while the region itself was captured, the natives by and large moved to another region and kept going with the security that comes from a founder.
*Communist Alliance made me vice delegate and the WAD sent a TG to endorse me when I had only been there two weeks. The raid actually led to the founder returning, its current state is the result of years gone by, not because of the raid.
*Shadow Proclamation and Lazzier Faireholm were locked before I ever got in, the sleeper work for those regions was getting the passwords.
*District 12 is a former raider jump point whose founder was puppetswept in the predator incident. There was no native community driven out, no regional culture destroyed, no sleeper or infiltration work, just securing a raider utility region before an anti-raider group could, with the express permission and support of the founder and raider group who used it up until the predator incident.

Looking at regions raided years ago and saying "look how they are today" isn't much of a good comparison, as it ignores everything that's happened since then. Most regions end up dying after that much time, regardless of if they were raided.

Not trying to say my actions were somehow good, just wanted to clarify what actually happened with the raids I was point on.
Last edited by Raionitu on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:19 am

A Bloodred Moon wrote:Jakker also wasn’t the point in LNA, to my knowledge.

Yes, Dakota was point for that: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=an_ ... allen_down

Daytime to Night
Envoy

Founded: Dec 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Daytime to Night » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:43 am

Refuge Isle wrote:
A Bloodred Moon wrote:Jakker also wasn’t the point in LNA, to my knowledge.

Yes, Dakota was point for that: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=an_ ... allen_down

Because Jakker and CrushingOurEnemies had their nations banned when the first attempt failed
Former Minister of Security and Minister for Justice - the South Pacific

Potato General Numero Capatata

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:52 pm

Daytime to Night wrote:Of course Jakker and Jo/A Bloodred Moon would try and play down criticisms of raider infiltration. Jakker did the exact same thing to Liberty Nations Alliance several months ago (thankfully we helped natives resettle in a secure region)

I don't recall ever downplaying infiltration. Was I making a point that deception to some degree happens frequently in GP? Sure, but that is more to give context to these type of raids. Also, I was saying earlier something similar to what you noted that trying to create a hierarchy of skills and which are easier than other does not make sense. Not sure why I was brought up by you but hey I appreciate the shout out. :hug:
Last edited by Jakker on Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Meh, saying that being good at infiltration is not worthy of Condemnation because the high-end ones typically involve a fair amount of lying is reasonable, if a position I find stupid. I only ask that there consistency on that aspect in regards to GCRs - if the point is that lying and deceptions to other members of a region are bad if done for the purposes of a raid, I fail to see a difference between that and specific malicious coup plots (as Fedele/etc engaged in with TEP).

In any case, this coming up this one is odd to me, because Souls' own recent Condemn specifically mentioned one specific infiltration attempt and alluded to the complete subversion of the 'native' government of TBR there.

Finally, support of course :p

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Jakker wrote: -snip- Was I making a point that deception to some degree happens frequently in GP? -snip-

Deception happens all the time in Gameplay. For instance, both you and me are deceiving each other right now. I seriously doubt your real name is actually Jakker. :p
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Spode Humbled Minions
Envoy

Founded: May 13, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Spode Humbled Minions » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:47 pm

Sending an unsolicited telegram to gather support for something that I don’t care about is an unforgivable sin.

As such, against
"Sadly we do not have seven plagues to soften your hardened heart"
“Your existing state of mind is at caress to apocalypse.”

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Tinhampton's intervention decisions continue to perplex.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:09 pm

Refuge Isle wrote:Tinhampton's intervention decisions continue to perplex.

Especially TGing people who've voiced their clear opinions in this thread already... Image
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Refuge Isle wrote:Tinhampton's intervention decisions continue to perplex.

Tin's interference has been irritating to say the least.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

A Bloodred Moon
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 13, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby A Bloodred Moon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:05 am

Spode Humbled Minions wrote:Sending an unsolicited telegram to gather support for something that I don’t care about is an unforgivable sin.

As such, against

Might I ask what TG you refer to?
JoWhatup

Alpha Emeritus of Lone Wolves United - For Your Protection

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:14 am

A Bloodred Moon wrote:
Spode Humbled Minions wrote:Sending an unsolicited telegram to gather support for something that I don’t care about is an unforgivable sin.

As such, against

Might I ask what TG you refer to?

I sent the following telegram out to about 1,800 people (i.e. against voters not resident in XKI, TRR or Europe) about ten hours ago, in the interests of transparency:
Greetings. I note that you have voted against the Security Council resolution at vote; as a result, I humbly petition you today to consider a vote in favour of Condemn Raionitu.

You may believe that the language in this proposal is essentially the backpatting of one raider - Raionitu, a Colonel in The Black Hawks - by another, or that it adopts an unnecessarily congratulatory tone. I reject this argument. The fact that Kingdom of Napels, who proposed this Condemnation, is an SC resolution author with much first-hand experience in raiding with TBH makes him ideally placed to write such a scathing account of the damage that Raionitu has wreaked upon communities too numerous to mention here.

Raionitu has not only broken into several major founderless regions, but has helped to gather a wide array of fellow raiders to plunder and even raze these communities. He has not only helped to round up dozens of pilers on many occasions, but has taught some of them in the dark arts of tagging, infiltrating, and spying. He has not only helped to train countless raiders that haunt regions to this day, but he has sometimes led them on raids that have distracted the SC from its mission of "spreading interregional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary." And he has not only helped to disrupt votes in the SC, but he has spearheaded record-breaking defacements of hundreds of founderless communities in a matter of hours.

Each of the above acts can merit simple denunciation; all of these factors put together, however, cry out for a fully-blown Condemnation. There are less than 150 votes in this as I write, and your vote could be the difference between action and silence - and I have written this of my own accord because I believe that the SC ought to take action. I would therefore like to encourage you to change your mind and vote for Condemn Raionitu.

Thank you,
Tinhampton
Three-time Security Council author (SC#250, 251, and 267)

At the time I sent this, Condemn Raionitu was being defeated by 6,542 votes to 6,404; the current margin of defeat is 6,649-6,617 or thereabouts, although Karteria and Dabberwocky - who wield about 80 votes or so in total - did switch from support to opposition overnight (with previously-neutral delegates such as Latrovia and Big Tex also casting votes against). You will note that, towards the end, I state that "I have written this of my own accord." Nowhere did I proclaim that my telegram was approved by you, Rai, or anybody else; to do so would be fraudulent at best.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Land Without Shrimp
Envoy

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:09 am

I was also surprised to see that TG in my inbox this morning. Since I already voted AGAINST, wasn't sure why I was being contacted. But, fair enough - the vote is close enough that if it manages to sway even a tiny handful of nations, it will have been worth it. Surely this kind of politicking isn't immoral in any way, even if it is unwelcome. My vote remains unchanged, however.

Honland Rebels
Civilian

Founded: Oct 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Honland Rebels » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 am

Guys that nation has destroyed some of the biggest nations in history he might somehow make the world assembely his puppet reigme

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Honland Rebels wrote:Guys that nation has destroyed some of the biggest nations in history he might somehow make the world assembely his puppet reigme

Try again, after you have read how the game actually works please.

wait

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:39 pm

This seems to be one of the closest SC votes EVER!
Last edited by La Xinga on Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:00 pm

La xinga wrote:This seems to be one of the closest SC votes EVER!

To back that up, I checked through every SC resolution and I found that if the trend continues, this will be the closest resolution ever (that passed) besides two: SC resolution 14: Liberate Free Thought, passed in 2010.

And:

SC Resolution 107: Condemn Hippostania, passed in 2013.

In other words, VERY CLOSE.
Last edited by La Xinga on Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:05 pm

Honestly I don't have a strong opinion on this but I'll advise that the telegram makes me less, not more likely to switch my vote. Made me a bit nostalgic for the days when I was a Delegate and got a lot of silly campaign telegrams though!

The original "Commend Glen-Rhodes" failed by just two votes.
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:Honestly I don't have a strong opinion on this but I'll advise that the telegram makes me less, not more likely to switch my vote. Made me a bit nostalgic for the days when I was a Delegate and got a lot of silly campaign telegrams though!

The original "Commend Glen-Rhodes" failed by just two votes.

Failed, but of the ones passed.

I'll add that in.
Last edited by La Xinga on Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Federative States of America
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Federative States of America » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Bruh this one’s gonna be close lol
Former WA delegate.
My nation is simple: the Annexation Bill passed in 1866 and the North American people were united.
Trump 2024!

Brunalis
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Against

Postby Brunalis » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:31 pm

[Español]

Para: Security Council

La Republica de Brunalis Repudia y condena energicamente la acusasion escrita por un colega suyo de asaltantes para ser un premio a Raionitu por su actividad de asalto dañina.

Los asaltantes ven este tipo de censuras como insignias que indican cuán hábiles son.

Consideramos que la Resolución ha sido más un elogio que una condena.

El Comité General de Brunalis expresa que está harto de estas propuestas que la escriben personas con falta de atención.

Brunalis vota en contra.

Aprobado, Notificado, Comunicado en Forum de GA, Tablero de Mensajes del Sur Pacifico, y Factbook de Comunicados de nuestro país.

Atentamente: Bruno, Presidente de Brunalis

[English]

To: Security Council

The Republic of Brunalis strongly repudiates and condemns the accusation written by a colleague of his of assailants to be an award to Raionitu for his harmful assault activity.

Raiders see these kinds of censures as badges that indicate how skilled they are.

We consider that the Resolution has been more a praise than a condemnation.

The Brunalis General Committee expresses that it is fed up with these proposals that are written by people with inattention.

Brunalis votes against.

Approved, Notified, Communicated in GA Forum, South Pacific Message Board, and Factbook of Communiqués of our country.

Yours sincerely: Bruno, President of Brunalis

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:00 pm

Condemn Raionitu was passed 7,137 votes to 7,059.
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives