NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Regulating Desalination

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:51 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:Draft Three up

OOC: Could you please change the draft order so that the newest draft comes first in the OP? Or even move the older drafts to a different post of yours in this thread?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:52 am

Araraukar wrote:
Ancient Greek Empire wrote:Draft Three up

OOC: Could you please change the draft order so that the newest draft comes first in the OP? Or even move the older drafts to a different post of yours in this thread?

I will do that. But do you have content critiques?
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:47 am

OOC: A few quick notes...

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:Observing that desalination is used by several member nations as a source of water;

I'd use "as a source of potable water" or "as a method of obtaining fresh water for their populations" or "as a way to extend existing freshwater resources".

Acknowledging that desalination, if carried out correctly when used environmentally safely, is a method of obtaining potable water that should be encouraged amongst freshwater deficient member nations with that have unrestricted access to saline water saltwater;

Even with the fixes, this reads kinda clumsily. What are you trying to say with this? That desalination should be encouraged? You'd benefit more from explaining WHY desalination should be encouraged.

Aware that improperly managed use of desalination could lead to irreversible environmental damage, such as the improper disposal of toxic byproducts from saline water that could damage ecosystems, or the high energy usage which could result in a higher production of greenhouse gases release of highly concentrated pollutants into the environment or possibly contaminating natural freshwater sources with salt;

Believing...

Hoping to prevent negative environmental impacts, while continuing to enable the use of desalination as a way to obtain potable water;

Throughout the preamble's current form, the starting verbs sound wrong. You're observing and acknowledgeing and being aware, but not concerned or worried or resolved.

1. Defines the following, for the purpose of this resolution:

* "desalination" as the process of purifying saline water obtained from saltwater reserves,

Or, instead, "Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, "desalination" as the process of obtaining freshwater from saltwater through one or more purification methods," because you don't need a subclause when there's just one, and because you're not "purifying" - that is, removing the salt - the water, but rather removing some of the water from the solution.

2. Mandates that member nations dispose of any waste products from the desalination process in a manner that does not pose a significant degree of threat to sapient or sentient life, or to the natural environments thereof;

Don't chicken out when this is your main mandate.

3. Encourages member nations to research into and, when possible, utilize combining desalination with salt-recovery for industrial and commercial use:

Also, the ending punctuation is wrong.

4. Mandates that desalination plants, their operation and waste products must not cause irreversible damages to the ecosystem, and that environmental damage mitigation plans are in place to be enacted in the case of an accident;

Given that clause 2 talks specifically of the waste products, you could have this one say "desalination plants and their operation" instead, leaving the waste products out of it (as they have already been addressed). Alternatively, combine this clause with clause 2.

5. Encourages member nations with access to large quantities of saltwater to use desalination as a new source of water, instead of tapping into pristine freshwater reserves;

If you do this bit any other way, it'll be trouble. Though you might want to consider an additional clause to affirm/reaffirm something from the previous resolutions about responsible water management practices.

6. Encourages member nations to minimise energy usage in desalination, and, if possible, to use renewable energy;

This still seems out of place. What does energy use have to do with solving water scarcity? Getting freshwater out of saltwater is going to take helluva lot of energy, that can't be helped, the "minimise energy usage" is kinda no-go to begin with. Even if you used solar distillation, it does take a fuckton of energy to turn liquid water into vapour, you'd just get the energy for free from the sun.

7. Clarifies that nothing in this resolution discourages the use of other methods of alleviating water shortage, such as water use reduction policies.

Just a slight omission.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:56 am

For the one on energy, it’s mainly there because one of the biggest cons about desalination is the huge amount of energy. So you know, global warming and whatever. It’s just encouraging energy efficiency and trying not to accelerate global warming.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:01 am

Honeydewistania wrote:For the one on energy, it’s mainly there because one of the biggest cons about desalination is the huge amount of energy. So you know, global warming and whatever. It’s just encouraging energy efficiency and trying not to accelerate global warming.

OOC: Those words should be used instead of what it has/had.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:08 am

Fourth draft up

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:49 pm

Please leave your suggestions below, or I shall submit in around 72 hours

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:00 pm

Yet another call. I’ll submit this in 2 days

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:07 pm

Almost time

WA Kitty Kops
Envoy

Founded: Oct 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby WA Kitty Kops » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:46 pm

OOC: Clause 6 still says purification. And first preamble clause "populations" would read nicer as "people".
Last edited by WA Kitty Kops on Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Head Inshpekshuuner looks like a dark grey kitten with yellow eyes and a small white patch on his chest, he's about 4-5 months old. He's much smarter than you could guess from the way he talks.
-- my main nation is Araraukar
NERVUN wrote:And my life flashed in front of my eyes while I did and I honestly expected my computer to explode after I entered the warning.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:59 am

(OOC: This has been submitted.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:41 am

The only part of this resolution that we are confused about is why desalination of salt water is being prescribed over the use of fresh water as a source of potable water. Desalination is an expensive, energy-consuming process, and, arguably, if there is an environmentally important reason to differentiate between fresh and salt water use, it would seem more imperative to us to preserve salt water resources. Of particular importance, we recognize that many biomes ultimately rely on salt water fauna for nitration of soil via ocean to river migration, and that this has far reaching effects on the biosphere as a whole. Nitrogen from such salt water fauna allows vegetation to grow -- vegetation that provides food and shade for other fauna, who in turn have their place in the natural cycles of their environments. Conversely, there seems no especial reason that fresh water reservoirs, which are usually maintained by natural, nonanthropogenic, water cycles, should be used over salt water reservoirs, which are not. We would, therefor, strongly recommend that salt water be a last resort for sourcing potable water, in contravention with the recommendations of this proposal.
Last edited by Heavens Reach on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:02 pm

Heavens Reach wrote:The only part of this resolution that we are confused about is why desalination of salt water is being prescribed over the use of fresh water as a source of potable water. Desalination is an expensive, energy-consuming process, and, arguably, if there is an environmentally important reason to differentiate between fresh and salt water use, it would seem more imperative to us to preserve salt water resources. Of particular importance, we recognize that many biomes ultimately rely on salt water fauna for nitration of soil via ocean to river migration, and that this has far reaching effects on the biosphere as a whole. Nitrogen from such salt water fauna allows vegetation to grow -- vegetation that provides food and shade for other fauna, who in turn have their place in the natural cycles of their environments. Conversely, there seems no especial reason that fresh water reservoirs, which are usually maintained by natural, nonanthropogenic, water cycles, should be used over salt water reservoirs, which are not. We would, therefor, strongly recommend that salt water be a last resort for sourcing potable water, in contravention with the recommendations of this proposal.

Because fresh water is environmentally important and desalinization, done properly is less impactful then tapping into fresh water tables.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:20 pm

Heavens Reach wrote:The only part of this resolution that we are confused about is why desalination of salt water is being prescribed over the use of fresh water as a source of potable water. Desalination is an expensive, energy-consuming process, and, arguably, if there is an environmentally important reason to differentiate between fresh and salt water use, it would seem more imperative to us to preserve salt water resources. Of particular importance, we recognize that many biomes ultimately rely on salt water fauna for nitration of soil via ocean to river migration, and that this has far reaching effects on the biosphere as a whole. Nitrogen from such salt water fauna allows vegetation to grow -- vegetation that provides food and shade for other fauna, who in turn have their place in the natural cycles of their environments. Conversely, there seems no especial reason that fresh water reservoirs, which are usually maintained by natural, nonanthropogenic, water cycles, should be used over salt water reservoirs, which are not. We would, therefor, strongly recommend that salt water be a last resort for sourcing potable water, in contravention with the recommendations of this proposal.

(OOC: Although it is true that there are examples where desalination might be slightly more damaging than utilising freshwater supplies, in the vast majority of cases desalinating salt water is far more environmentally-friendly than disrupting the balance of freshwater ecosystems. That’s why the clause is a recommendation rather than a mandate, so that member states can use their judgement with regards to their environmental situation.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Aclion wrote:

Because fresh water is environmentally important and desalinization, done properly is less impactful then tapping into fresh water tables.

Could you (OOC: or Kenmoria) expand on that, ambassador?

United States of Americanas
Envoy

Founded: Jan 23, 2017

Postby United States of Americanas » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:05 pm

Kenmoria wrote:

(OOC: Although it is true that there are examples where desalination might be slightly more damaging than utilising freshwater supplies, in the vast majority of cases desalinating salt water is far more environmentally-friendly than disrupting the balance of freshwater ecosystems. That’s why the clause is a recommendation rather than a mandate, so that member states can use their judgement with regards to their environmental situation.)

So if this is a recommendation then I can literally ignore it. Let’s make something that’s mandatory and makes a large impact. Regulating desalination will make a pretty small dent in a big problem. Well thought out but a no vote because it just doesn’t seem like it will make a difference.
Political Compass as of Jul 17 2022

Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Damn right I’m a liberal democratic socialist. I sit in the ranks of Caroline Lucas

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:08 pm

United States of Americanas wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: Although it is true that there are examples where desalination might be slightly more damaging than utilising freshwater supplies, in the vast majority of cases desalinating salt water is far more environmentally-friendly than disrupting the balance of freshwater ecosystems. That’s why the clause is a recommendation rather than a mandate, so that member states can use their judgement with regards to their environmental situation.)

So if this is a recommendation then I can literally ignore it. Let’s make something that’s mandatory and makes a large impact. Regulating desalination will make a pretty small dent in a big problem. Well thought out but a no vote because it just doesn’t seem like it will make a difference.

(OOC: The proposal does have mandatory clauses, as well as recommended ones.

Heavens Reach wrote:
Aclion wrote:Because fresh water is environmentally important and desalinization, done properly is less impactful then tapping into fresh water tables.

Desalination is most often done on oceans and seas which are exclusively saltwater-based and have a supply which can be viewed as limitless in practical circumstances. On the other hand, freshwater sources are confined to rivers and lakes that may have a sufficiently small supply so as to be able to be reduced by excessive usage. I don’t know the full details of this, however, so take this with a pinch of salt.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Yshrenia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 27, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Yshrenia » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:52 pm

The Yshrenian Empire votes no, as the proposal would harm its industries.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:30 pm

Yshrenia wrote:The Yshrenian Empire votes no, as the proposal would harm its industries.

“That, ambassador, is the inherent nature of the proposal. The legislation protects the environment of all sapient beings in exchange for a dent in some business’s protects. Ultimately, the long-term survival of ecosystems and therefore nations results in the long-term survival of industry.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:10 am

Heavens Reach wrote:

Desalination is most often done on oceans and seas which are exclusively saltwater-based and have a supply which can be viewed as limitless in practical circumstances. On the other hand, freshwater sources are confined to rivers and lakes that may have a sufficiently small supply so as to be able to be reduced by excessive usage. I don’t know the full details of this, however, so take this with a pinch of salt.)

That would seem to imply that the answer is sustainable water use practices vis a vis fresh water sources, rather than desalination as an alternative per se. As mentioned in our original concern, desalination is not without its environmental costs. These environmental costs are not just with respect to what would happen if large quantities of salt water were to be utilized over fresh water, and the reverberating effects that would have on ecology in general, but also with respect to the energy costs of desalination, the logistical difficulty of dealing with saline waste, and the fiscal costs which could hypothetically be devoted to more gainful environment protection and sustaining efforts. We realize this clause only has the power of a recommendation, but it seems rather contentious advice to officially and legally codify in the annals of the general assembly.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:50 am

While desalination has environmental impacts, most are addressed in the proposal. Also it’s more recommended towards nations with lots of saltwater but non sustainable freshwater.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:While desalination has environmental impacts, most are addressed in the proposal. Also it’s more recommended towards nations with lots of saltwater but non sustainable freshwater.

We're suggesting that desalination has environmental impacts that the bill is not actually addressing, and maintain would maintain that these environmental impacts are not seriously mitigated by the suggestion applying to nations with more access to salt water than fresh water.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:27 am

Heavens Reach wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:While desalination has environmental impacts, most are addressed in the proposal. Also it’s more recommended towards nations with lots of saltwater but non sustainable freshwater.

We're suggesting that desalination has environmental impacts that the bill is not actually addressing, and maintain would maintain that these environmental impacts are not seriously mitigated by the suggestion applying to nations with more access to salt water than fresh water.

"And if you are aware of the issues, you can do something to mitigate them. It's that simple, really."

OOC: It's impossible to regulate EVERYTHING on a topic in GA proposals, so the point is to go for the most obvious issues and leave the rest to the nations to deal with.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:49 am

Araraukar wrote:
Heavens Reach wrote:We're suggesting that desalination has environmental impacts that the bill is not actually addressing, and maintain would maintain that these environmental impacts are not seriously mitigated by the suggestion applying to nations with more access to salt water than fresh water.

"And if you are aware of the issues, you can do something to mitigate them. It's that simple, really."

OOC: It's impossible to regulate EVERYTHING on a topic in GA proposals, so the point is to go for the most obvious issues and leave the rest to the nations to deal with.

OOC: it's not that we're asking for this particular proposal to address anything more than it's addressing, it's that we directly disagree with one of its recommendations.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:05 am

Regulating Desalination was passed 11,930 votes to 6,378.

Thank you to all, especially Kenmoria, Araraukar and Maowi, for all of your support in getting this passed :)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives