NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Restrictions on Blood Sports

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Restrictions on Blood Sports

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Tue May 05, 2020 6:10 am

Category: Moral Decency
Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING that sports such as bullfighting, cockfighting and dogfighting are popular amongst member nations;

HORRIFIED that in most of these cases at least one of the participants in such competitions is forced to participate, usually resulting in their death or serious injury;

BELIEVING that, for the safety and protection of all sentient beings, legislation in the form of a General Assembly resolution is needed to prevent such cruel and barbaric practices;

Hereby:

1. Defines a "blood sport" as a form of entertainment involving two or more living beings in which the aim is to injure or kill the opponent, not including hunting of non-sapient creatures;

2. Prohibits all forms of blood sports in which one or more of the participants did not provide consent;

3. Prohibits all forms of blood sports in which the aim is to kill the opponent, despite consent;

4. Requires member states to relocate all captive former sapient blood sport participants to a safe and healthy rehabilitative environment, such as their natural habitat, where they will not destroy the environment, be harmed or harm others;

5. Encourages member states to relocate all captive former non-sapient blood sport participants to a safe and healthy rehabilitative environment, such as their natural habitat, where they will not destroy the environment, be harmed or harm others;

6. Encourages members states to humanely put down non-sapient creatures groomed for blood sports if rehabilitation is not possible.
Last edited by Ancient Greek Empire on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:44 am, edited 32 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue May 05, 2020 6:13 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:Category: Social Justice

...for the sake of moral decency, [a GA] resolution is needed to prevent such cruel and barbaric practi[c]es

Should this be Moral Decency rather than Social Justice? If not, why not?
Last edited by Tinhampton on Tue May 05, 2020 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Tue May 05, 2020 6:18 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Ancient Greek Empire wrote:Category: Social Justice

...for the sake of moral decency, [a GA] resolution is needed to prevent such cruel and barbaric practi[c]es

Should this be Moral Decency rather than Social Justice? If not, why not?

I’ll fix it, thanks.

Giant Bats
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Giant Bats » Wed May 06, 2020 1:18 am

Ikiti Tikilikrr, a prime specimen of a species that in various aspects of anatomy and physiology would have reminded people of such creatures as bats, porcupine, birds of prey and great white sharks, flexed her claws on her perch. "This cannot ban hunting, which is called a sport by those who do not need to hunt to eat, so the definition needs rewriting or clarification."

- Ikiti Tikilikrr, the Head of Diplomatic Wing of the Tikrr, and 10th generation mother of four
Large, eyeless, carnivorous bat-like creatures with interstellar FTL capabilities. (See OOC addition here for size reference.)

Allies of Potted Plants United.

"We do not write because we want to. We write because we have to." - Somerset Maugham

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Wed May 06, 2020 2:39 am

Giant Bats wrote:Ikiti Tikilikrr, a prime specimen of a species that in various aspects of anatomy and physiology would have reminded people of such creatures as bats, porcupine, birds of prey and great white sharks, flexed her claws on her perch. "This cannot ban hunting, which is called a sport by those who do not need to hunt to eat, so the definition needs rewriting or clarification."

- Ikiti Tikilikrr, the Head of Diplomatic Wing of the Tikrr, and 10th generation mother of four

“Thank you bat ambassador, the proposal has been updated to be more specific.”

Giant Bats
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Giant Bats » Wed May 06, 2020 4:03 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:“Thank you bat ambassador, the proposal has been updated to be more specific.”

Ikiti could never understand why people referred to Tikrr as bats, since it was about as sensible as calling all bipedal creatures gibbons. "Has the text changed? It still fails to define sport, so hunting - even subsistence hunting - could still be caught under the definition."
Large, eyeless, carnivorous bat-like creatures with interstellar FTL capabilities. (See OOC addition here for size reference.)

Allies of Potted Plants United.

"We do not write because we want to. We write because we have to." - Somerset Maugham

The New Sicilian State
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sicilian State » Wed May 06, 2020 5:54 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:'Blood sports' as a sport between two living beings in which the aim of all participants is to injure or kill the opponent

OOC: So is boxing a blood sport? I don't think it matters, but is it?

Releases all living beings held in captivity to be used to participate in blood sports.

I think you'd have to expand on this one a little bit more. Releasing them where? How? Just release them? Now you've got bulls and aggressive dogs running around the state.
From the office of: John Crawford
Ambassador of Foreign Affairs
Office: the floor between the copier and the water fountain
Palermo Parliamentary Building
Ideological Bullshark # -26

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Wed May 06, 2020 5:57 am

Giant Bats wrote:
Ancient Greek Empire wrote:“Thank you bat ambassador, the proposal has been updated to be more specific.”

Ikiti could never understand why people referred to Tikrr as bats, since it was about as sensible as calling all bipedal creatures gibbons. "Has the text changed? It still fails to define sport, so hunting - even subsistence hunting - could still be caught under the definition."

“Apologies, our old ambassador has been promptly executed for offending your nation. Hunting has now been purposely excluded from the definition”
The New Sicilian State wrote:
Ancient Greek Empire wrote:'Blood sports' as a sport between two living beings in which the aim of all participants is to injure or kill the opponent

OOC: So is boxing a blood sport? I don't think it matters, but is it?

Releases all living beings held in captivity to be used to participate in blood sports.

I think you'd have to expand on this one a little bit more. Releasing them where? How? Just release them? Now you've got bulls and aggressive dogs running around the state.

OOC: Yes it does, but in boxing most cases is that you’re a willing participant. What would be outlawed is gladiator fights, especially when you’re not consenting.

Also, what would you suggest? Releasing them into their natural habitant would be bad, but so would keeping them in captivity.

The New Sicilian State
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sicilian State » Wed May 06, 2020 6:09 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:

OOC: Yes it does, but in boxing most cases is that you’re a willing participant. What would be outlawed is gladiator fights, especially when you’re not consenting.

Also, what would you suggest? Releasing them into their natural habitat would be bad, but so would keeping them in captivity.

OOC: Personally, I think something broad along the lines of;

Requires member states to relocate all captive blood sport participants to a healthier, safer environment.

That way, if we're talking about captive gladiators, as per your example, the legislation gives them liberty to go home to their families safely. For animals, they could be released to animal shelters. However, the clause is also vague enough that it's not "one-size" or restricting to some scenarios.
From the office of: John Crawford
Ambassador of Foreign Affairs
Office: the floor between the copier and the water fountain
Palermo Parliamentary Building
Ideological Bullshark # -26

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Wed May 06, 2020 6:11 am

The New Sicilian State wrote:

Also, what would you suggest? Releasing them into their natural habitat would be bad, but so would keeping them in captivity.

OOC: Personally, I think something broad along the lines of;

Requires member states to relocate all captive blood sport participants to a healthier, safer environment.

That way, if we're talking about captive gladiators, as per your example, the legislation gives them liberty to go home to their families safely. For animals, they could be released to animal shelters. However, the clause is also vague enough that it's not "one-size" or restricting to some scenarios.

OOC: Thanks

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed May 06, 2020 6:19 am

Cool. So Fox tossing isn't a blood sport.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Wed May 06, 2020 6:22 am

Aclion wrote:Cool. So Fox tossing isn't a blood sport.

Now it is

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Wed May 06, 2020 6:24 am

The Newark Aristocracy's NEW WA Ambassador got mad after reading the propsalresponding to it saying:NOPE,JUST NOPE!,and then promptly shot at the WA ambassador of the Ancient Greek Empire with a 9mil 5 times,all of weicth were aimed at his chest,but not at vital spots.

I swear,my WA ambassadors love to shoot other WA ambassadors.
Last edited by Newark Aristocracy on Wed May 06, 2020 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Wed May 06, 2020 6:26 am

Newark Aristocracy wrote:
The Newark Aristocracy's NEW WA Ambassador got mad after reading the propsal,and then promptly shot at the WA ambassador of the Ancient Greek Empire with a 9mil 5 times,all of weicth were aimed at his chest,but not at vital spots.

“Please shoot outside of the embassy, else the priceless statues get washed with my blood”

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed May 06, 2020 6:30 am

“You don’t need to define ‘consent’ in your proposal, since it has only one meaning. Also, there is a useless ‘I’ in the first ‘prohibits’ clause.”

The Newark Aristocracy's NEW WA Ambassador got mad after reading the propsalresponding to it saying:NOPE,JUST NOPE!,and then promptly shot at the WA ambassador of the Ancient Greek Empire with a 9mil 5 times,all of weicth were aimed at his chest,but not at vital spots.

(OOC: That’s not helpful, nor would it work given weapon nullifiers.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Wed May 06, 2020 6:32 am

The Newark Aristocracy's NEW WA Ambassador got mad after reading the propsal,and then promptly shot at the WA ambassador of the Ancient Greek Empire with a 9mil 5 times,all of weicth were aimed at his chest,but not at vital spots.

“Please shoot outside of the embassy, else the priceless statues get washed with my blood”

My WA Ambassador would ask:"What statues?" *cocks Glock 18* *fires at the WA ambassador 10 times,targeted at his chest again,this time the bullets are armor piercing,and again,targeted at non vital areas.*
Around the same time,the weapon nullifers would flicker on and off for 30 seconds,before turning back to their normal functions..
"Want any more lead thrown at you,dumbass?"
Last edited by Newark Aristocracy on Wed May 06, 2020 6:37 am, edited 6 times in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 06, 2020 6:35 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:“Please shoot outside of the embassy, else the priceless statues get washed with my blood”

My WA Ambassador would ask:"What statues?" *cocks Glock 18* *fires at the WA ambassador 10 times,targeted at his chest again,this time the bullets are armor piercing,and again,targeted at non vital areas.*
around the same time,the weapon nullifers would be turned off by hackers.

OOC: You dont get to turn off the nullifiers. The player receiving damage can. Thats godmodding in this forum and gets ignored.

IC: "We are in support of such a policy. Bloodsport often invites needless cruelty and inefficient waste of resources."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Wed May 06, 2020 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Wed May 06, 2020 6:37 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
around the same time,the weapon nullifers would be turned off by hackers.

OOC: You dont get to turn off the nullifiers. The player receiving damage can. Thats godmodding in this forum and gets ignored.

IC: "We are in support of such a policy. Bloodsport often invites needless cruelty and inefficient waste of resources."

Post edited.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 06, 2020 6:39 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: You dont get to turn off the nullifiers. The player receiving damage can. Thats godmodding in this forum and gets ignored.

Post edited.

OOC: still godmodding. You dont get to control the nullifiers for other players except to turn them on to nullify bad roleplaying violence like this. Friendly advice: don't do it

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Wed May 06, 2020 6:40 am

"Let's just take this outside and settle this with a gunfight,right outside of the WAHQ,so EVERYONE can see this crapshow unfold."

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Wed May 06, 2020 6:43 am

Kenmoria wrote:“You don’t need to define ‘consent’ in your proposal, since it has only one meaning. Also, there is a useless ‘I’ in the first ‘prohibits’ clause.”

Post edited, thanks.
Ancient Greek Empire wrote:“Please shoot outside of the embassy, else the priceless statues get washed with my blood”

"Let's just take this outside and settle this with a gunfight,right outside of the WAHQ,so EVERYONE can see this crapshow unfold."

“We shall proceed no further in this business. Good day to you sir.”

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 06, 2020 6:44 am

Ambassador Bell, without standing up, speaks out "The Ambassador from the Ancient Greek Empire should know he has no obligation to accept schoolyard threats from unknown ambassadors while on the WAHQ campus, and that, of he wishes, the C.D.S.P. would be happy to extend their diplomatic protection to the good ambassador in addition to the Empire' own."

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Wed May 06, 2020 6:48 am

Kenmoria wrote:“You don’t need to define ‘consent’ in your proposal, since it has only one meaning. Also, there is a useless ‘I’ in the first ‘prohibits’ clause.”

Post edited, thanks.

"No,Let's settle this crap show like real men do. A DUEL! HUMPHREY,GET MY WAX DUELING PISTOL SET,WE ARE SETTLING THIS WITH A GUN DUEL."
Last edited by Newark Aristocracy on Wed May 06, 2020 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Greek Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Greek Empire » Wed May 06, 2020 6:50 am

Ancient Greek Empire wrote:Post edited, thanks.

"No,Let's settle this crap show like real men do. A DUEL! HUMPHREY,GET MY WAX DUELING PISTOL SET,WE ARE SETTLING THIS WITH A GUN DUEL."

“Excuse me but you are creating a fuss. The members of this assembly would much prefer to get back on topic, rather than engage in unnecessary violence!”
Last edited by Ancient Greek Empire on Wed May 06, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 06, 2020 6:50 am

"If I might offer some support," Bell says to the author, ignoring the nearby tantrum, "you might want to expand upon what constitutes a safe and healthy environment. It sounds like you intend to detail minimal precautions for arenas. I would advise that you spell some of those factors out."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives