NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Access to Abortion

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:40 am

Riverpost wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:
OOC: "A lot of resources" =/= "bottomless pit".

Also, if anything the proposal would see funds accruing to the General Fund. On the one hand, the construction (may construct ... with funds assessed by the General Accounting Office from members in which there does not exist ...) and operating costs of these clinics fall to non-compliant member states, OTOH if a lease terminates, the value of land improvements is reimbursed to the General Fund.

OOC: Humanly bottomless, as far as I'm concerned. I thought you read it, but whatever numbers Seps came up with isn't practically comparable to anything IRL, is it?

Besides, for a nation like my own, and many others, it's certainly bottomless, unless I go about declaring I am the land of leaves, population 10 trillion. For the sake of political sophistry, my ambassador declared it bottomless, and well, the ambassador is about as modern a sophist as they get.

In any case, it seemed like that to me, and I think to others too. In any case, if there was an error in judgement, apologies. Perhaps you could clarify how the funding functions actually, then, for our benefit?

OOC: Funding generally or just for this proposal? If just for this proposal, see edit to my last post.

Generally, funds must come from taxpayers in member states. ICly I always oppose profligate spending by the General Fund because the burden, even if widely spread, falls on taxpayers in member states and Bananaistan would prefer to spend its own money generally but can see that it's nice and charitable to facilitate given others a leg up when necessary.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Riverpost
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Riverpost » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:51 am

Bananaistan wrote:
Riverpost wrote:
OOC: Humanly bottomless, as far as I'm concerned. I thought you read it, but whatever numbers Seps came up with isn't practically comparable to anything IRL, is it?

Besides, for a nation like my own, and many others, it's certainly bottomless, unless I go about declaring I am the land of leaves, population 10 trillion. For the sake of political sophistry, my ambassador declared it bottomless, and well, the ambassador is about as modern a sophist as they get.

In any case, it seemed like that to me, and I think to others too. In any case, if there was an error in judgement, apologies. Perhaps you could clarify how the funding functions actually, then, for our benefit?

OOC: Funding generally or just for this proposal? If just for this proposal, see edit to my last post.

Generally, funds must come from taxpayers in member states. ICly I always oppose profligate spending by the General Fund because the burden, even if widely spread, falls on taxpayers in member states and Bananaistan would prefer to spend its own money generally but can see that it's nice and charitable to facilitate given others a leg up when necessary.

OOC: I don't mind both, as they can all have something to take for this and future resolutions.

Alright, I see for the proposal, and I concede that I was mistaken there. But for the general usage, how did the HQ come into being without a general fund? I know it's rather nitpicky, but it was something that I came across and it seemed rather incredulous to me at the time. Neither am I really for excessive spending, in particular that if this were more in line with the UN and their funding debacles, I'd probably be a lot more timid in my wishful thinking. How much has all this cost past and present with stuff such as the HQ, and resolutions (though further which I have not found to name, but only based on what I recall reading another say was true, which admittedly, is iffy of me to ascribe to) that may also draw General Funds from the WA? Unless there is none, then it's clearly overblown of me. With non-compliance fines and the General Fund around for two examples of income, how well would you say these hallowed halls to be doing in cash?
Last edited by Riverpost on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:05 am

Riverpost wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:

OOC: I don't mind both, as they can all have something to take for this and future resolutions.

Alright, I see for the proposal, and I concede that I was mistaken there. But for the general usage, how did the HQ come into being without a general fund? I know it's rather nitpicky, but it was something that I came across and it seemed rather incredulous to me at the time. Neither am I really for excessive spending, in particular that if this were more in line with the UN and their funding debacles, I'd probably be a lot more timid in my wishful thinking. How much has all this cost past and present with stuff such as the HQ, and resolutions (though further which I have not found to name, but only based on what I recall reading another say was true, which admittedly, is iffy of me to ascribe to) that may also draw General Funds from the WA? Unless there is none, then it's clearly overblown of me. With non-compliance fines and the General Fund around for two examples of income, how well would you say these hallowed halls to be doing in cash?

OOC: GAR#8 has its own funding mechanism: rent for offices and fees for use of the toilets.

As to the rest, nobody knows. It can't be quantified. But the central point remains. The General Fund cannot engage in deficit spending. Therefore everything it spends comes from member states in some unknowable proportion between "donations" and fines. It's possible that fines might exceed the costs for the year, in which case because surpluses are returned to member states, you'd imagine member states would be in favour of both no donation and getting a reimbursement. Or if fines do not exceed the costs, they'd want to minimise their donation by keeping costs down. Either way, flahulach General Fund spending is not a wise policy from any member state's POV.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:14 am

Bananaistan wrote:
Riverpost wrote:

OOC: GAR#8 has its own funding mechanism: rent for offices and fees for use of the toilets.

As to the rest, nobody knows. It can't be quantified. But the central point remains. The General Fund cannot engage in deficit spending. Therefore everything it spends comes from member states in some unknowable proportion between "donations" and fines. It's possible that fines might exceed the costs for the year, in which case because surpluses are returned to member states, you'd imagine member states would be in favour of both no donation and getting a reimbursement. Or if fines do not exceed the costs, they'd want to minimise their donation by keeping costs down. Either way, flahulach General Fund spending is not a wise policy from any member state's POV.

OOC: I'm ICly donating a pretty hardcore amount. What is 'post-scarcity' if not being able to share?
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Riverpost
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Riverpost » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:17 am

Bananaistan wrote:
Riverpost wrote:

OOC: All fair points. I mostly looked at GAR#8 quite stringently for the purposes of the argument, as in that the precedent seems to be that resolutions go into effect immediately after being passed. Sure, it is self-sustaining now, but where did the actual construction get the money to begin with? Maybe nations made some pre-emptive contributions during the very close vote? :lol2:

In any case, all good to hear, especially from someone who seems to quite well know their stuff on monies and the sort. Even so, I imagine we can ensure that our unknown budget is quite pristine in future resolutions to come, conservative and sensible spending in mind (or just imagining that it'll be so, which should work too)

OOC: I'm ICly donating a pretty hardcore amount. What is 'post-scarcity' if not being able to share?

^
Last edited by Riverpost on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dreadton
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dreadton » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:16 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:"I hear a dripping sound," says Ambassador Pierce visibly irritated. "Am I the only one hearing it? Ah yes, it must be that good old bottomless abortion money pit. Drip. Drip. Drip. The sovereignty, the money, the morals. They all go 'drip, drip, drip.'"

Its kind of neat to see an Ambassador who's nation actively worked with a fascist regime to overthrow a lawfully elected democratic government, take issue with the morals of other nations.
Just a Shameless Nobody.

All post are representations of the policy and opinions of the nation of Dreadton and not official TNP policy, unless specifically noted

Union of Sovereign States and Republics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:59 pm

Laka Strolistandiler wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Ok slaver.

And will you, please, tell me why stripping the mentally ill of their political and civil rights and liberties is a bad thing? What’s next, granting rights to schizophrenics?

OOC: What the actual fuck? This is on so many levels of fucked up and just plain wrong.
Current IC Year: 2031
The Union of Sovereign States and Republics; USSR
In 1991, a plane carrying would-be conspirators of an armed coup crashed in the Crimean Peninsula. Without the coup, the Union of Sovereign States treaty was signed; and the USSR survived... Lore currently undergoing a rework.
Current Ruling Party: Second Forward Coalition (NPSU, Motherland, Agrarian League)
News: BREAKING NEWS: Unceremoniously, USSR officially departs from the European Union 2 years before schedule

South World
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby South World » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:28 pm

Why bother to pass this only to repeal it next month?
Gun control is not about guns, it’s about control.
Speedin

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:30 pm

South World wrote:Why bother to pass this only to repeal it next month?

Because people like it.
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:36 pm

Because it's been tried multiple times to repeal any of the other two Abortion Legislations that were passed by this August Body. I lost count when it it 20 a piece.

All of them have failed.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-18 | LSU 25-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-10

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:39 pm

"Chances are very good that it will not be repealed, ambassador."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:24 pm

It’s tradition to attempt and fail to repeal abortion legislation here. Just like it’s tradition for nations to send their worst to be their ambassadors, and tradition to chuck ambassadors out of windows
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Dubrana
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Dubrana » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:35 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

It’s tradition to attempt and fail to repeal abortion legislation here. Just like it’s tradition for nations to send their worst to be their ambassadors, and tradition to chuck ambassadors out of windows

"Although I am no longer a member of the WA defenestration is a tried and true method of expressing your displeasure with your fellow ambassador, after all throwing someone out of a window is by far one of the most expressive ways to inform someone that you despise them."

Edlos
Civilian

Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Edlos » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:04 pm

It is in our opinion that an amendment to the proposal will be necessary, it being that the abortion must occur before the end of the first trimester of the pregnancy. Otherwise, according to the proposal, there's nothing stopping a mother from terminating a pregnancy well after a heartbeat and other functions have began inside the fetus. In fact, under this proposal, a mother can terminate a pregnancy just before birth.

Therefore, with the current proposal, we'll vote against.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:16 pm

Edlos wrote:It is in our opinion that an amendment to the proposal will be necessary, it being that the abortion must occur before the end of the first trimester of the pregnancy. Otherwise, according to the proposal, there's nothing stopping a mother from terminating a pregnancy well after a heartbeat and other functions have began inside the fetus. In fact, under this proposal, a mother can terminate a pregnancy just before birth.

"If I recall correctly, World Assembly resolutions cannot be amended."
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Godular wrote:
Edlos wrote:It is in our opinion that an amendment to the proposal will be necessary, it being that the abortion must occur before the end of the first trimester of the pregnancy. Otherwise, according to the proposal, there's nothing stopping a mother from terminating a pregnancy well after a heartbeat and other functions have began inside the fetus. In fact, under this proposal, a mother can terminate a pregnancy just before birth.

"If I recall correctly, World Assembly resolutions cannot be amended."

"You are recalling correctly, Ambassador. Sooner or later the Ambassador from Edlos will learn that."
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:02 pm

"Actually Ambassador, if you have issue with abortion being allowed at any stage, you are blaming the wrong resolution."
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Union of Sovereign States and Republics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:11 pm

OOC: Access to Abortion was passed 12,266 votes to 4,936.

Congratulations, IA!
Current IC Year: 2031
The Union of Sovereign States and Republics; USSR
In 1991, a plane carrying would-be conspirators of an armed coup crashed in the Crimean Peninsula. Without the coup, the Union of Sovereign States treaty was signed; and the USSR survived... Lore currently undergoing a rework.
Current Ruling Party: Second Forward Coalition (NPSU, Motherland, Agrarian League)
News: BREAKING NEWS: Unceremoniously, USSR officially departs from the European Union 2 years before schedule

United Engiresco
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

This is outrageous!

Postby United Engiresco » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 pm

I go against this resolution with all my human morality, this is just morally wrong. There is a reason why Abortion is illegalized in so many countries, Imperium Anglorum. >:(
UNITED ENGIRESCO

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:46 pm

United Engiresco wrote:I go against this resolution with all my human morality, this is just morally wrong. There is a reason why Abortion is illegalized in so many countries, Imperium Anglorum. >:(

"Then you would be in violation of not one, not two, but THREE World Assembly General Assembly resolutions. Makes me wonder why you continue to want to be in the World Assembly if you are just going to be a little 'rogue' nation and not follow standing Resolutions, which are not even Optional, they are Mandatory for members."
Last edited by Shazbotdom on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Engiresco
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby United Engiresco » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:59 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:
United Engiresco wrote:I go against this resolution with all my human morality, this is just morally wrong. There is a reason why Abortion is illegalized in so many countries, Imperium Anglorum. >:(

"Then you would be in violation of not one, not two, but THREE World Assembly General Assembly resolutions. Makes me wonder why you continue to want to be in the World Assembly if you are just going to be a little 'rogue' nation and not follow standing Resolutions, which are not even Optional, they are Mandatory for members."

The only real reason I'm in the WA is because I like endorsements.
UNITED ENGIRESCO

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:10 pm

United Engiresco wrote:
Shazbotdom wrote:"Then you would be in violation of not one, not two, but THREE World Assembly General Assembly resolutions. Makes me wonder why you continue to want to be in the World Assembly if you are just going to be a little 'rogue' nation and not follow standing Resolutions, which are not even Optional, they are Mandatory for members."

The only real reason I'm in the WA is because I like endorsements.

Then while you might enjoy having endorsements, you also support the right to procure abortions...
New to F7? Click here!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:18 pm

The Most Holy and Grand Empire condemns this resolution. It's an affront to human dignity and human rights. Nobody has "natural rights to property" in other people. WA citizens of good conscience need to rise up and shut down the facilities that this resolution establishes.

Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:40 pm

"So... we are now at advocating Christian Terrorism... Wunderbar."
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:49 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:"So... we are now at advocating Christian Terrorism... Wunderbar."

Ambassador, our government does not advocate violence. We support nonviolent direct action: mass demonstrations, blockades, sit-ins. National governments should respect the right of the people to engage in such action, upholding human dignity and human rights.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives