NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Access to Abortion

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:05 am

La xinga wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Quality in Health Services, Minimum Standards of Living Act, and the Administrative Compliance Act."

OOC: What number are those?

OOC: ctrl+F is your friend
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:05 am

La xinga wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: I don't do pro bono for other players.

OOC: I'm sorry?

Ooc: it means I'm inviting you to do your own research.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:07 am

Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:OOC: What number are those?

OOC: I don't think most computers do that thing that you want.
Separatist Peoples wrote:
La xinga wrote:OOC: I'm sorry?

Ooc: it means I'm inviting you to do your own research.

OOC: I could try. It would take about an hour, so please give me some time to read them.
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:13 am

"So will the increased costs of the new abortion clinics, subsidised travels, abortion operations, etc. be partly covered by the WA? Or the states will have to cough up money from higher taxes?"
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:14 am

Picairn wrote:"So will the increased costs of the new abortion clinics, subsidised travels, abortion operations, etc. be partly covered by the WA? Or the states will have to cough up money from higher taxes?"

"I wonder where the WA gets all this money from....."

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:14 am

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

OOC: I don't think most computers do that thing that you want.

Oh, I’m absolutely certain there is an analogous function on your computer. Israeli keyboard or otherwise.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:16 am

Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:OOC: I don't think most computers do that thing that you want.

Oh, I’m absolutely certain there is an analogous function on your computer. Israeli keyboard or otherwise.

Israeli keyboard? :blink:

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:16 am

La xinga wrote:
Picairn wrote:"So will the increased costs of the new abortion clinics, subsidised travels, abortion operations, etc. be partly covered by the WA? Or the states will have to cough up money from higher taxes?"

"I wonder where the WA gets all this money from....."

“I have now earmarked another fifteen seconds of replicator time to produce rare metals for WA funding. I think I shall have it make Americium!”
New to F7? Click here!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:17 am

“If the abortion clinic is one of WA Choice Plus, then the cost of the abortion operations and the clinic itself will be funded by the IAO. However, the travel must be provided for by member states. If the abortion clinic is a state one, then all aspects must be subsidised by members.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:18 am

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

Israeli keyboard? :blink:

Hebrew, Yiddish, whatevs. If you have different alphabetical systems on your keyboard it will still have a find function.
New to F7? Click here!

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:19 am

This resolution was a few mere words away from being perfect. There is, however, a deep moral conflict in ascribing personhood only at the time of birth. Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy, with the often unfortunate associated cost of the life of the fetus. A right to abortion does not inherently provide a right to end the life of a fetus as an end in itself. Per third trimester, fetuses are viable, and meet the necessary neurobiological predisposition to experience pain via the spinothalamic tract to a fully developed dorsal posterior insula. Abortive procedures which have as intention the preservation of the fetuses life at this point in the pregnancy are prescribed, which, per the biologically independent nature of the erstwhile developed fetus should be sufficient for a definition of personhood which does not impinge on the bodily autonomy of the person who theretofore carried the fetus. This should not be construed to be in conflict with the right to universal access to abortive healthcare, but presents a serious moral issue of what prescribes personhood, and why it should have an arbitrary delineation of birth, and not a more scientifically or morally compelling category. This also puts forth a cynical apprehension of future technology in which it surely will become possible to preserve, in the total sense, the life of all aborted fetuses without restriction of abortive procedure. This is a deeply troubling flaw in an otherwise extremely well-written and thoroughly considered resolution, and creates a significant ethical dilemma that is only resolved by the more pressing need of bodily autonomy. We will vote for this resolution, but we will keep an eye out for a repeal and replacement which maintains the strength of this resolution, but compels a much more ethically sound prerequisite of personhood. With consideration to these significant concerns, but in keeping with the presently more compelling moral objective of this resolution, and with deep apprehension, we vote FOR in the matter of the proposal entitled Access to Abortion.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:21 am

Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:"I wonder where the WA gets all this money from....."

“I have now earmarked another fifteen seconds of replicator time to produce rare metals for WA funding. I think I shall have it make Americium!”

Really now?
Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:Israeli keyboard? :blink:

Hebrew, Yiddish, whatevs. If you have different alphabetical systems on your keyboard it will still have a find function.

I mean, it does search stuff, but I think other non-related to NS stuff will show up.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:29 am

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

Really now?

“Yes, really. You should see what the market rates are for that stuff!”

Godular wrote:

I mean, it does search stuff, but I think other non-related to NS stuff will show up.

Not if you’re in the correct thread. Seriously. ‘Passed General Assembly Resolutions’ is stickied for a reason.
Last edited by Godular on Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
New to F7? Click here!

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:34 am

Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:Really now?

The WA sells those stuff? So no member nation pays?
Godular wrote:

La xinga wrote:

Not if you’re in the correct thread. Seriously. ‘Passed General Assembly Resolutions’ is stickied for a reason.

I must be doing everything wrong then.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:39 am

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

The WA sells those stuff? So no member nation pays?

“If certain nations are demonstrably incapable, yes. This does not mean that you get an automagic pass on funding for such resolutions, however. If you can afford it, you are expected to pay for it.”

Godular wrote:

La xinga wrote:

Acknowledging the problem is the first step to resolving it.
New to F7? Click here!

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:40 am

Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:The WA sells those stuff? So no member nation pays?

“If certain nations are demonstrably incapable, yes. This does not mean that you get an automagic pass on funding for such resolutions, however. If you can afford it, you are expected to pay for it.”

I thought the WA has mines producing everything that they sell. Why then do they need our money?

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:41 am

Kenmoria wrote:“If the abortion clinic is one of WA Choice Plus, then the cost of the abortion operations and the clinic itself will be funded by the IAO. However, the travel must be provided for by member states. If the abortion clinic is a state one, then all aspects must be subsidised by members.”

"That's still eye-poppingly expensive. To accomplish this, we would need a restructure of the current Picairnian government's budget, which means that we will have to cut spending to our state-of-the-art schools as well as military and welfare spending AND increase taxes at the same time. The Parliament is meeting soon with the best economists in Picairn to decide on this, but I sense that the majority of Picairnians won't like the prospect of having their schools and welfare defunded. Expect pamphlets villifying Imperium Anglorum littering public places, should you desire to visit our nation this year."
Last edited by Picairn on Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:42 am

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

I thought the WA has mines producing everything that they sell.

Look up the WA general fund. It is not far down the list.
New to F7? Click here!

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:44 am

Picairn wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“If the abortion clinic is one of WA Choice Plus, then the cost of the abortion operations and the clinic itself will be funded by the IAO. However, the travel must be provided for by member states. If the abortion clinic is a state one, then all aspects must be subsidised by members.”

"That's still eye-poppingly expensive. To accomplish this, we would need a restructure of the current Picairnian government's budget, which means that we will have to cut spending to our state-of-the-art schools as well as military and welfare spending AND increase taxes at the same time. The Parliament is meeting soon with the best economists in Picairn to decide on this, but I sense that the majority of Picairnians won't like the prospect of having their schools and welfare defunded. Expect pamphlets villifying Imperium Anglorum littering public places, should you desire to visit our nation in this year."

Ambassador, if you use the funds granted by the resolution to build clinics, you will not have to fund travel to member nations that have them. If your national budget is this delicate, take comfort in the fact that the cost for this resolution is distributed to all member nations. This is of particular benefit to nations with small or delicate budgets.
Last edited by Heavens Reach on Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:49 am

Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:I thought the WA has mines producing everything that they sell.

Look up the WA general fund. It is not far down the list.

Donations?

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:51 am

Heavens Reach wrote:Ambassador, if you use the funds granted by the resolution to build clinics, you will not have to fund travel to member nations that have them. If your national budget is this delicate, take comfort in the fact that the cost for this resolution is distributed to all member nations. This is of particular benefit to nations with small or delicate budgets.

"There are a million things the government must do, Ambassador, even with a large budget. We certainly can't afford to have spaceships and other scientific inventions on top of state-of-the-art schools, world-class healthcare, extensive public welfare, guaranteed minorities outreach programs, a strong military, an effective police force, etc. at the same time without bankrupting the state. Resources are scarce, and how to distribute them is a science in itself (Economics). So yes, if this resolution operates on the insurance model, where every country pays into a funding pool, then it would be much appreciated since our burden just got a bit lighter."

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:55 am

There are a million things the government must do, Ambassador, even with a large budget. We certainly can't afford to have spaceships and other scientific inventions on top of state-of-the-art schools, world-class healthcare, extensive public welfare, guaranteed minorities outreach programs, a strong military, an effective police force, etc. at the same time without bankrupting the state. Resources are scarce, and how to distribute them is a science in itself (Economics). So yes, if this resolution operates on the insurance model, where every country pays into a funding pool, then it would be much appreciated since our burden just got a bit lighter.

That is how the proposal is written, ambassador. Plus access to abortion creates demonstrable healthcare cost savings for nations with access. If you are looking at this through a cold, hard, fiscal, lens, it's all positives for your nation, ambassador.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:55 am

Picairn wrote:
Heavens Reach wrote:Ambassador, if you use the funds granted by the resolution to build clinics, you will not have to fund travel to member nations that have them. If your national budget is this delicate, take comfort in the fact that the cost for this resolution is distributed to all member nations. This is of particular benefit to nations with small or delicate budgets.

"There are a million things the government must do, Ambassador, even with a large budget. We certainly can't afford to have spaceships and other scientific inventions on top of state-of-the-art schools, world-class healthcare, extensive public welfare, guaranteed minorities outreach programs, a strong military, an effective police force, etc. at the same time without bankrupting the state. Resources are scarce, and how to distribute them is a science in itself (Economics). So yes, if this resolution operates on the insurance model, where every country pays into a funding pool, then it would be much appreciated since our burden just got a bit lighter."

“It works off of donations, to which I have functionally added the GNP of a moderately-sized ‘modern’ nation. While you might require the aid of such funds at first, the savings that you subsequently reap should be more than sufficient to enable you to stand on your own.”
Last edited by Godular on Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
New to F7? Click here!

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:03 am

Heavens Reach wrote:That is how the proposal is written, ambassador. Plus access to abortion creates demonstrable healthcare cost savings for nations with access. If you are looking at this through a cold, hard, fiscal, lens, it's all positives for your nation, ambassador.

Godular wrote:“It works off of donations, to which I have functionally added the GNP of a moderately-sized ‘modern’ nation. While you might require the aid of such funds at first, the savings that you subsequently reap should be more than sufficient to enable you to stand on your own.”

"Excellent, Ambassadors. Maybe we won't need to cut funding to education or welfare after all."
Last edited by Picairn on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:33 am

Heavens Reach wrote:This resolution was a few mere words away from being perfect. There is, however, a deep moral conflict in ascribing personhood only at the time of birth. Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy, with the often unfortunate associated cost of the life of the fetus. A right to abortion does not inherently provide a right to end the life of a fetus as an end in itself. Per third trimester, fetuses are viable, and meet the necessary neurobiological predisposition to experience pain via the spinothalamic tract to a fully developed dorsal posterior insula. Abortive procedures which have as intention the preservation of the fetuses life at this point in the pregnancy are prescribed, which, per the biologically independent nature of the erstwhile developed fetus should be sufficient for a definition of personhood which does not impinge on the bodily autonomy of the person who theretofore carried the fetus.
This should not be construed to be in conflict with the right to universal access to abortive healthcare, but presents a serious moral issue of what prescribes personhood, and why it should have an arbitrary delineation of birth, and not a more scientifically or morally compelling category. This also puts forth a cynical apprehension of future technology in which it surely will become possible to preserve, in the total sense, the life of all aborted fetuses without restriction of abortive procedure. This is a deeply troubling flaw in an otherwise extremely well-written and thoroughly considered resolution, and creates a significant ethical dilemma that is only resolved by the more pressing need of bodily autonomy. We will vote for this resolution, but we will keep an eye out for a repeal and replacement which maintains the strength of this resolution, but compels a much more ethically sound prerequisite of personhood. With consideration to these significant concerns, but in keeping with the presently more compelling moral objective of this resolution, and with deep apprehension, we vote FOR in the matter of the proposal entitled Access to Abortion.

"Ambassador, you perfectly explained our sole grievance with this resolution (well other than the money). If this passes, Ardiveds would have to allow free abortions even after the beginning of the third trimester. While we support the bodily sovereignty of women, even we feel like abortion after foetal viability is a needless procedure when the foetus can be seperated from the mother's body. We hopefully won't get too many such cases since women usually don't wait till the third trimester to get an abortion. Sadly, we don't expect to ever get a better replacement of this this since resolutions related to abortion seem almost impossible to repeal even if the purpose is a minor amendment.

Speaking of money, can anyone here explain to us what the whole 'WA choice plus clinic' thing is and how would it be different from a average abortion clinic from an operational standpoint?"
Last edited by Ardiveds on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives