NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Access to Abortion

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby San Carlos Islands » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:18 am

La xinga wrote:OOC: Why should the state pay for abortion and contraception but not stuff like kidney transplants?

OOC: I mean. If life begins at conception and the state paid for contraceptives; on net there would be less abortion, murder, what have you.
Foreign Affairs Director for the League of Conservative Nations

WA Ambassador: Trinity Ryan
WA Information: wa.mission.gov.sci

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:20 am

La xinga wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Abortion doesn’t mean waiting for years for someone with a compatible match or anything.

What does that have to do with anything??

OOC: You specifically mentioned organ transplants. Educate yourself.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:21 am

Araraukar wrote:
La xinga wrote:What does that have to do with anything??

OOC: You specifically mentioned organ transplants. Educate yourself.
wat.

I didn't say anything, I gave an example, and NS is not the RL world, NS is much more Liberal.
Ardiveds wrote:
La xinga wrote:OOC: Why should the state pay for abortion and contraception but not stuff like kidney transplants?

OOC: I don't know about abortion but the state should definitely pay for contraception, its benifits in preventing STDs and overpopulation definitely make it something any reasonably state should pay for.
Edit: plus contraception reduces the need for abortion.

OOC: I disagree with you, but that's not the point of GA.
Separatist Peoples wrote:

Ooc: if there was a big issue with states deliberately making kidney transplants too expensive to get, we likely would. That has not been a policy issue in the GA.

Then IA could have just made it mandatory less expensive, why should citizens who oppose it need to pay with their tax money for it?
Last edited by La Xinga on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:26 am

La xinga wrote:Then IA could have just made it mandatory less expensive, why should citizens who oppose it need to pay with their tax money for it?

Ooc: this has been tried elsewhere. Nations will just lower it by a penny and call it less expensive.

Objective prices are all but useless in the GA due to the meta gaming and game mechanics rules. Anything based on a subjective affordability question is subject to bad faith interpretation.

And, before you ask, many of the opponents to abortion in this thread have been very open with their willingness to interpret in bad faith both on this forum and on the GA Discord. There have been no such claims or efforts relative to other procedures.

Edit: it is perfectly fair to argue that nations not paying for abortions is a good policy. I'm not saying you need to be pro choice. I'm just explaining why the pro choice side determined that this measure is necessary.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:28 am

La xinga wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: You specifically mentioned organ transplants. Educate yourself.

wat.

I didn't say anything, I gave an example, and NS is not the RL world, NS is much more Liberal.

OOC: You specifically referenced kidney transplants - unless someone else got on your account and posted that - and the response to it that you didn't understand, about tissue typing and years of waiting on organ transplants, means that you don't understand organ transplants. You really shouldn't throw around references you do not understand.

Liberality has nothing to do with how organ transplants work. And abortion is no more comparable to organ transplants than a tooth being removed by a dentist is comparable to brain surgery.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:30 am

La xinga wrote:Then IA could have just made it mandatory less expensive, why should citizens who oppose it need to pay with their tax money for it?

Ooc: this has been tried elsewhere. Nations will just lower it by a penny and call it less expensive.

Objective prices are all but useless in the GA due to the meta gaming and game mechanics rules. Anything based on a subjective affordability question is subject to bad faith interpretation.

If it ought to be legal, it could say a normal amount per their country.
And, before you ask, many of the opponents to abortion in this thread have been very open with their willingness to interpret in bad faith both on this forum and on the GA Discord. There have been no such claims or efforts relative to other procedures.

I'm unsure why this needs to be posted, I don't learn anything from it or understand it in general.
Araraukar wrote:
La xinga wrote:wat.

OOC: You specifically referenced kidney transplants - unless someone else got on your account and posted that - and the response to it that you didn't understand, about tissue typing and years of waiting on organ transplants, means that you don't understand organ transplants. You really shouldn't throw around references you do not understand.

Liberality has nothing to do with how organ transplants work. And abortion is no more comparable than a tooth being removed by a dentist is comparable to brain surgery.

I said any random thing, what do YOU care what I post? Why should the state pay for abortion and not organ transplant? :eyebrow:

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Draganisia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Draganisia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:32 am

Sedgistan wrote:Completely inappropriate. *** Warned for trolling. ***

Yea I might have overstepped there.

But to be honest trying to enforce this proposal on those who are fully against it would be even more inappropriate.

Wars have happened for less.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:33 am

La xinga wrote:I said any random thing, what do YOU care what I post? Why should the state pay for abortion and not organ transplant? :eyebrow:

OOC: What if the State should fund both? *thonking*
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:34 am

La xinga wrote:[

Ooc: that would not be a satisfactory solution. If a nation raises the price to many millions of USD, that would be "normal" but unobtainable. Which is bad faith, since abortions are already legal in the GA.

I'm unsure why this needs to be posted, I don't learn anything from it or understand it in general.

Somehow unsurprising.

Draganisia wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:Completely inappropriate. *** Warned for trolling. ***

Yea I might have overstepped there.

But to be honest trying to enforce this proposal on those who are fully against it would be even more inappropriate.

Wars have happened for less.

Ooc: I suppose the GA is inappropriate, since all resolutions do this.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Staypuftonia
Attaché

Founded: Feb 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Staypuftonia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:35 am

"Opposed.

Only if the baby has a defect that may kill them should an abortion be allowed.

Otherwise, we shouldn't be allowing people to have abortions left and right.

I'm not going to allow abortion just because some person thinks it's convenient.

Use a condom then, you idiots.

Abortion will be illegal in Staypuftonia as long as I live."
Last edited by Staypuftonia on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:36 am

Staypuftonia wrote:Opposed.

I'm not going to allow abortion just because some person thinks it's convenient.

Abortion will be illegal in Staypuftonia as long as I live.

Ooc: cool, but just so you know, the GA already legalized abortion on demand years ago. If you're not obeying GA law, why should we consider your input on GA law?

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:36 am

Staypuftonia wrote:Opposed.

Abortion will be illegal in Staypuftonia as long as I live.

Then you should quit the WA since the WA mandates legalisation and affordability.

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:37 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
La xinga wrote:I said any random thing, what do YOU care what I post? Why should the state pay for abortion and not organ transplant? :eyebrow:

OOC: What if the State should fund both? *thonking*

OOC: What if the state should fund all healthcare stuff? *thonking more*
La xinga wrote:[

Ooc: that would not be a satisfactory solution. If a nation raises the price to many millions of USD, that would be "normal" but unobtainable. Which is bad faith, since abortions are already legal in the GA.
That would be a lie. Millions of USD is not normal. It's like if a resolution which made lollipops affordable and a nation made it 34907390471239047903479023479023479023479023742390479023472390479023479023 NSD and called it normal.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:40 am

La xinga wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:OOC: What if the State should fund both? *thonking*

That would be a lie. Millions of USD is not normal. It's like if a resolution which made lollipops affordable and a nation made it 34907390471239047903479023479023479023479023742390479023472390479023479023 NSD and called it normal.

OOC: What's "normal" anyway? Calling the ambulance in one nation may cost stupendous amounts for that one country but in other countries profiteering off emergency services may be viewed as deeply immoral.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

MT/MagicT

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:40 am

La xinga wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:OOC: What if the State should fund both? *thonking*

Ooc: it wouldn't be a lie. Your nation can be role played anyway you want. If you tell us abortions cost $10,000,000, we literally cannot say otherwise. We can be skeptic, but its godmodding for other players to tell you what your roleplay is.

I hope you see the issue.

Staypuftonia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Staypuftonia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:41 am

"Why should we be forced to allow people to kill babies just because it's "convenient"?

Why should babies have to be killed because of them being the result of rape?

Why should babies be allowed to be killed just because they have Down syndrome?"

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:42 am

Quality in Health Services. viewtopic.php?p=2439131#p2439131

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 am

La xinga wrote:OOC: What if the state should fund all healthcare stuff? *thonking more*

Ooc: it wouldn't be a lie. Your nation can be role played anyway you want. If you tell us abortions cost $10,000,000, we literally cannot say otherwise. We can be skeptic, but its godmodding for other players to tell you what your roleplay is.

It may cost $10,000,000, but if the rest of stuff cost 2$, that's obviously not normal. It would be a break of WA leg.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Staypuftonia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Staypuftonia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 am

"You're missing the point here. If this resolution passes, then millions of innocent Staypuftonians, and millions of innocent people of other countries, would be killed just because it's "convenient", or "I don't want to have a baby", or "It's not financially right now", or "It was conceived from rape". The only reason an abortion should be allowed is if the baby would die."
Last edited by Staypuftonia on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 am

Staypuftonia wrote:"Why should we be forced to allow people to kill babies just because it's "convenient"?

Why should babies have to be killed because of them being the result of rape?

Why should babies be allowed to be killed just because they have Down syndrome?"

Ooc: if you want to ban abortion, you need to write a few repeals. This draft does not legalize abortion because other resolutions do that. As such, your concerns are off topic. You should read the GA Rules and the General Advice threads if you wish to repeal GAR#128 and GAR#286.

Flying Eagles
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Flying Eagles » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:46 am

We are concerned this could jeopardise the lives of perfectly healthy fetuses.
Last edited by Flying Eagles on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XKI TITO Field Commander

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:46 am

La xinga wrote:

It may cost $10,000,000, but if the rest of stuff cost 2$, that's obviously not normal. It would be a break of WA leg.

Ooc: you mean law? Ideally not, but some nations are willing to make some procedures very hard to obtain in order to also block abortion. That's why this proposal exists.

People smarter than you and I have tried to address similar issues in similar ways. They have failed.

Norastan
Attaché

Founded: May 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Norastan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:47 am

I can tell religious nations aren't gonna like this one, if this goes into vote and wins, expect a bunch of religious nations to leave the WA.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:47 am

Staypuftonia wrote:"You're missing the point here. If this resolution passes, then millions of innocent Staypuftonians, and millions of innocent people of other countries, would be killed just because it's "convenient", or "I don't want to have a baby", or "It's not financially right now", or "It was conceived from rape". The only reason an abortion should be allowed is if the baby would die."

"No, ambassador, we are not missing the point. You were directed to the appropriate procedural avenue for your concern. This is not it. If Access to Abortion fails, abortion will still be legal."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 am

Flying Eagles wrote:We are concerned this could jeopardise the lives of perfectly healthy fetuses.

"Only if the mother wishes to have an abortion, which is her right per prior WA law."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives