NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Ban on the Administration of Unwanted Substances

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Federation of the Astral Plane
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 16, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Federation of the Astral Plane » Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 pm

Our government's primary concern with this bill regards the consideration of chemical castration as a punishment as well as certain treatments for mental conditions which will then exist in a grey area created by this law. Without clarification regarding such edge cases, my government cannot support this law, due to real possibility of litigation.

Bear Connors Paradiso
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 03, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bear Connors Paradiso » Sat May 02, 2020 7:34 pm

What if you have a mentally unstable patient or patients at a mental ward? Anything that isn't related to sedating them cannot be given? Or that anyone who is at risk for harming themselves and others can be given any kind of medication? Lack of clarity in the text.

Also leaves out people with other mental illness that don't involve risk of harm but need those medications.

And then it allows doctors to force antivaxxers to get vaccinated?

Demonos
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Sec 2.(d.)

Postby Demonos » Sat May 02, 2020 10:16 pm

Clarification Requested:

SEC 2.(d) "...substances deemed necessary for the widespread public health of either the nation or the world at large must be administered, even if there are skeptics who are vocally opposed to such substances being administered;"

Who is to judge that necessity?

What if "skeptics" have a reasonable and qualifiable objection based on fact? Either way, "even if there are skeptics", this section opens a loophole for potential totalitarian misuse.

Why should Demonos vote for this flawed proposal?

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat May 02, 2020 10:56 pm

Typica wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Stop the commies from polluting our precious bodily fluids!

You mean "stealing". We must stop those commies from "stealing our precious bodily fluids."

Edit: oh wow, I've had it wrong for years.. dang it

At any rate, this proposal would protect individuals from evils like fluoridated drinking water.

The people's precious bodily fluids will remain secure and uncontaminated!

Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun May 03, 2020 1:31 am

Bear Connors Paradiso wrote:What if you have a mentally unstable patient or patients at a mental ward? Anything that isn't related to sedating them cannot be given? Or that anyone who is at risk for harming themselves and others can be given any kind of medication? Lack of clarity in the text.

(OOC: Mentally ill patients wouldn’t be covered under the legislation, which only applies to sapient beings of legal competence.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The land between the Prut and the Nistru
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The land between the Prut and the Nistru » Sun May 03, 2020 2:38 am

Point 2, subsection d):substances deemed necessary for the widespread public health of either the nation or the world at large must be administered, even if there are skeptics who are vocally opposed to such substances being administered

My question is: deemed necessary by whom?
If you do not clarify that,the entire resolution is pointless.

Raegis
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 25, 2012

Postby Raegis » Sun May 03, 2020 3:29 am

If this assembly is to act in the best interest of its member nations and their people, then it must take steps to ensure said member nations are not infringing on such autonomy, which has no benefit beyond the enjoyment of cruel masters. The Witan of Saexia approves of this legislation, in the name of individual freedom across the WA.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun May 03, 2020 6:01 am

The land between the Prut and the Nistru wrote:Point 2, subsection d):substances deemed necessary for the widespread public health of either the nation or the world at large must be administered, even if there are skeptics who are vocally opposed to such substances being administered

(OOC: That would be deemed necessary by the reasonable interpretation of the member state in question. Although the wording is ambiguous, it would be hard to clarify and doesn’t scuttle the entire proposal, in my view.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Garialdi
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Garialdi » Sun May 03, 2020 7:19 am

"The people's of Garialdi do feel inclined to accepting the proposal, however we feel a needed clause is missing. We'd have to ask what happens in the case of mental illnesses and deficiencies, is the patient able to deny needed and important medical care? Is a suicidal patient able to ask for his own death by not accepting any treatments? We believe the proposal NEEDS to include situations in which the patients can express themselves but are not able to take reasonable decisions. Besides that, if the proposal aludes these cases as no legally ration, ot opens up a precedent for allowing dictatorships to determine that citizens that do not follow medical recommendations are not capable of taking a decision, effectively rendering it Null. If this is fixed, we'd vote FOR the proposal. But as is, we cannot approve of it."
Last edited by Garialdi on Sun May 03, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun May 03, 2020 7:58 am

Federation of the Astral Plane wrote:Our government's primary concern with this bill regards the consideration of chemical castration as a punishment as well as certain treatments for mental conditions which will then exist in a grey area created by this law. Without clarification regarding such edge cases, my government cannot support this law, due to real possibility of litigation.

“Your first concern has already been settled by extant law. Preventing Forced Sterilisations bans involuntary chemical castrations, so this proposal wouldn’t be allowed to enable them.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Magnaebellan Foreign Embassy
Civilian

Founded: Apr 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Magnaebellan Foreign Embassy » Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 am

I do wish this bill didn't attempt to govern treatment of those sentenced to execution. If one has committed actions severe enough to warrant death, then one does not warrant any humane considerations. What's warranted is doing as much as possible to provide reparations for the victims, and the suffering of the perpetrator is a good place to start. Might support this bill otherwise.

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Sun May 03, 2020 9:03 am

Magnaebellan Foreign Embassy wrote:I do wish this bill didn't attempt to govern treatment of those sentenced to execution. If one has committed actions severe enough to warrant death, then one does not warrant any humane considerations. What's warranted is doing as much as possible to provide reparations for the victims, and the suffering of the perpetrator is a good place to start. Might support this bill otherwise.

"Ambassador, your problem then isn't with this resolution. GA #443, Preventing the Execution of Innocents, already forces governments to execute people in a humane way. It forces governments to carry out capital punishment in a way which is "proven beyond any reasonable doubt not to cause pain or suffering".
Delegate of the 10000 Islands
Ambassador to the WA: Mr. Reede Tappe

TITO Tactical Officer

For a detailed list of positions, and other things of note, click here.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Sun May 03, 2020 10:00 am

Kenmoria wrote:
The land between the Prut and the Nistru wrote:Point 2, subsection d):substances deemed necessary for the widespread public health of either the nation or the world at large must be administered, even if there are skeptics who are vocally opposed to such substances being administered

(OOC: That would be deemed necessary by the reasonable interpretation of the member state in question. Although the wording is ambiguous, it would be hard to clarify and doesn’t scuttle the entire proposal, in my view.)

OOC: So if an authoritarian government deems mind control drugs to be essestial for the nation's health, it would be free to forcefully administer them to its people under this resolution? I feel like this resolution helps in the administration of unwanted substances as much as it bans it :eyebrow:
Last edited by Ardiveds on Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun May 03, 2020 11:19 am

Ardiveds wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: That would be deemed necessary by the reasonable interpretation of the member state in question. Although the wording is ambiguous, it would be hard to clarify and doesn’t scuttle the entire proposal, in my view.)

OOC: So if an authoritarian government deems mind control drugs to be essestial for the nation's health, it would be free to forcefully administer them to its people under this resolution? I feel like this resolution helps in the administration of unwanted substances as much as it bans it :eyebrow:
pretty sure that would violate existing wa law.
Last edited by Aclion on Sun May 03, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Necosia
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Necosia » Sun May 03, 2020 11:21 am

against, i want muh drugs

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 am

Ardiveds wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: That would be deemed necessary by the reasonable interpretation of the member state in question. Although the wording is ambiguous, it would be hard to clarify and doesn’t scuttle the entire proposal, in my view.)

(OOC: That would not be reasonable interpretation of what constitutes a benefit to public health.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Sun May 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Ardiveds wrote:OOC: So if an authoritarian government deems mind control drugs to be essestial for the nation's health, it would be free to forcefully administer them to its people under this resolution? I feel like this resolution helps in the administration of unwanted substances as much as it bans it :eyebrow:

(OOC: That would not be reasonable interpretation of what constitutes a benefit to public health.)

Well an obedient and compliant population can make crime rates go down, and the government can make everybody take up healthier lifestyles, improving health... I know I'm stretching the possible interpretation a bit :p but the that clause just sounds somewhat sketchy to me
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Nollaa
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 28, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nollaa » Sun May 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Due to recent mentions we decided to change our vote completely in favor of the resolution.

The United States of Nollaa completely support this, and will always vote for the protection of innocent humans, and hope to see more of these in the future of WA resolutions.
Last edited by Nollaa on Sun May 03, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Sun May 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Nollaa wrote:We are very happy to see such a proposal and mostly agree with the proposal on the issue at hand, however while we are still voting yes on this issue, we would like clarification on if this proclamation is intended to act as an early form of banning capital punishment, as it seems to put many limitations of capital punishment and the means which capital punishment can be conducted under certain countries laws, for example, it seems many countries might resort to older forms of capital punishment to avoid the costs of having to switch over all programs to comply with clause 2c.

Astrobolt wrote:"Ambassador, your problem then isn't with this resolution. GA #443, Preventing the Execution of Innocents, already forces governments to execute people in a humane way. It forces governments to carry out capital punishment in a way which is "proven beyond any reasonable doubt not to cause pain or suffering".

TITO Tactical Officer

Mylusch
Civilian

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Point of Clarification?

Postby Mylusch » Sun May 03, 2020 2:50 pm

In this proposal, I do not see any element that allows, say, a parent or guardian, to give consent for a child to receive a substance. If the child does not wish to get a shot, as most children don't, would the parents consent be the deciding factor here? Is this assumed? Can the ability to consent be signed over to, for example, a family member?

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Sun May 03, 2020 3:00 pm

Mylusch wrote:In this proposal, I do not see any element that allows, say, a parent or guardian, to give consent for a child to receive a substance. If the child does not wish to get a shot, as most children don't, would the parents consent be the deciding factor here? Is this assumed? Can the ability to consent be signed over to, for example, a family member?

"The proposal address sapients of legal competence. A child would not meet the definition of legal competence."

TITO Tactical Officer

Camellias
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 16, 2019

Postby Camellias » Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 pm

"With regards to human life, the Democratic Whimsical Republic of the Camellias is in unanimous approval of this resolution. It is fundamental to our ideology that all sentient life have control over their own bodies - with few exceptions 8) .

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun May 03, 2020 8:33 pm

"The Empire of Picairn today has voiced its near-unanimous approval in Parliament (with 693-7 in the House of Representatives and 486-14 in the House of Lords), although it shares the same concerns with other nations regarding the vague meaning of the words which could be open to abuse. The Prime Minister recommends that a follow-up clarification should be made."
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon May 04, 2020 6:28 am

Subject to other World Assembly Legislation, bans the administration of undesirable substances to any sapient individual of legal competence who has not freely consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:

the individual poses a reasonable threat to themselves or others, and must be sedated;

Does this wording prevent a police force from pepper spraying unruly protesters or criminals?
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

The New Sicilian State
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sicilian State » Mon May 04, 2020 6:35 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Subject to other World Assembly Legislation, bans the administration of undesirable substances to any sapient individual of legal competence who has not freely consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:

the individual poses a reasonable threat to themselves or others, and must be sedated;

Does this wording prevent a police force from pepper spraying unruly protesters or criminals?

“I’m not too sure, screaming while covering your eyes in a fetal position on the ground doesn’t seem like sedated to me, ambassador.”
From the office of: John Crawford
Ambassador of Foreign Affairs
Office: the floor between the copier and the water fountain
Palermo Parliamentary Building
Ideological Bullshark # -26

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives