NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Ban on the Administration of Unwanted Substances

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Ban on the Administration of Unwanted Substances

Postby Morover » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:30 pm

Regulation - Safety

The World Assembly,

Believing in the rights of every sapient individual to have full bodily autonomy,

Knowing that the involuntary administration of certain drugs, medications, or other substances, can infringe on this right to bodily autonomy,

Wishing to regulate the involuntary administration of these substances so as to prevent a severe violation of natural sapient rights,

Hereby,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, an "undesirable substance" as any drug, medication, or other substance, whose primary intent in administration can be reasonably assumed to not be desired by the individual to whom it is being administered;
  2. Subject to other World Assembly Legislation, bans the administration of undesirable substances to any sapient individual of legal competence who has not freely consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:
    1. the individual poses a reasonable threat to themselves or others, and must be sedated;
    2. the individual is undergoing a medical procedure and needs to receive emergency medications, where consent is not able to be received;
    3. the undesirable substance is being administered as capital punishment, lethal, non-painful doses must be administered in order to induce a humane death;
    4. substances deemed necessary for the widespread public health of either the nation or the world at large must be administered, even if there are skeptics who are vocally opposed to such substances being administered;
  3. Clarifies that, even under these exceptions, adverse effects that are not deemed necessary shall be minimized to the greatest extent which is possible.

OOC: If it's not clear, this is a continuation of my old discarded proposal, Ban On The Involuntary Administration Of Drugs.

Feedback appreciated.

Drafts:
The World Assembly,

Believing in the rights of every sapient individual to have full bodily autonomy,

Knowing that the involuntary administration of certain drugs, medications, or other substances, can infringe on this right to bodily autonomy,

Wishing to regulate the involuntary administration of these substances so as to prevent a severe violation of natural sapient rights,

Hereby,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, "undesirable substance" as any drug, medication, or other substance, in which its primary intent in administration can be reasonably assumed to not be desired by the individual in which it is being administered to;
  2. Bans the administration of undesirable substances unto any sapient individual who has not consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:
    1. the individual poses a reasonable threat to themselves or others, and must be sedated;
    2. a patient which is undergoing a medical procedure and needs to receive emergency medications, where consent is not able to be received;
    3. in cases of capital punishment, lethal, non-painful doses must be administered in order to invoke a humane death;
    4. substances deemed necessary for the widespread public health of either the nation or the world at large must be administered, even if there are skeptics who are vocally opposed to such substances being administered;
  3. Clarifies that, even under these exceptions, no adverse effects should be administered other than those deemed absolutely necessary.
The World Assembly,

Hereby,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, "undesirable substance" as any drug, medication, or other substance, in which its primary intent in administration can be reasonably assumed to not be desired by the individual in which it is being administered to;
  2. Bans the administration of undesirable substances to any sapient individual who has not consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:
    2. a patient which is undergoing a medical procedure and needs to receive emergency medications, where consent is not able to be received;
    3. in cases of capital punishment, lethal, non-painful doses must be administered in order to invoke a humane death;
  3. Clarifies that, even under these exceptions, adverse effects that are not deemed necessary should be minimized to the greatest extent which is possible.
The World Assembly,

Hereby,

2. Bans the administration of undesirable substances to any sapient individual of legal competence who has not consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:
  3. Clarifies that, even under these exceptions, adverse effects that are not deemed necessary should be minimized to the greatest extent which is possible.
The World Assembly,

Hereby,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, "undesirable substance" as any drug, medication, or other substance, whose primary intent in administration can be reasonably assumed to not be desired by the individual to whom it is being administered;
  2. Bans the administration of undesirable substances to any sapient individual of legal competence who has not freely consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:
    2. the individual is undergoing a medical procedure and needs to receive emergency medications, where consent is not able to be received;
      [*the undesirable substance is being administered as capital punishment, lethal, non-painful doses must be administered in order to induce a humane death;
    3. substances deemed necessary for the widespread public health of either the nation or the world at large must be administered, even if there are skeptics who are vocally opposed to such substances being administered;
The World Assembly,

Hereby,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, an "undesirable substance" as any drug, medication, or other substance, whose primary intent in administration can be reasonably assumed to not be desired by the individual to whom it is being administered;
  2. Bans the administration of undesirable substances to any sapient individual of legal competence who has not freely consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:
    3. the undesirable substance is being administered as capital punishment, lethal, non-painful doses must be administered in order to induce a humane death;
  3. Clarifies that, even under these exceptions, adverse effects that are not deemed necessary shall be minimized to the greatest extent which is possible.
The World Assembly,

Hereby,

2. Subject to other World Assembly Legislation, bans the administration of undesirable substances to any sapient individual of legal competence who has not freely consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:
Last edited by Ransium on Wed May 06, 2020 9:14 am, edited 15 times in total.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Cosmosplosion » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:34 pm

"Opposed, although not strictly on the principle of the legislation. Our World Assembly Ministry here in Cosmosplosion cannot, in good faith, reconcile our moral code with Part C of Active Clause 2. The death penalty, and any proposal that explicitly allows such punishment, will not receive the approval of our nation."
Former Minister of World Assembly Affairs - The North Pacific
Former WA Delegate - The Versutian Federation
Author of GAR #459 - On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes
I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting. - Che Guevara

Economic Left/Right: -7.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:39 pm

Assuming the-powers-that-be rule this to be an admissible proposal, I am in favor of it.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:40 pm

Cosmosplosion wrote:"Opposed, although not strictly on the principle of the legislation. Our World Assembly Ministry here in Cosmosplosion cannot, in good faith, reconcile our moral code with Part C of Active Clause 2. The death penalty, and any proposal that explicitly allows such punishment, will not receive the approval of our nation."

"Though perhaps it is poorly worded, the intention of the subclause was not to explicitly permit capital punishment (OOC: I don't believe it does? Though I may be biased on the subject), but rather to ensure that in nations where capital punishment is permitted, due to there not being an adequate ban, that it is done so in a way that is not painful. We're not seeking to explicitly allow capital punishment - but we are not aiming to outlaw it in this proposal, either."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2014

Postby Cosmosplosion » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:45 pm

Morover wrote:
Cosmosplosion wrote:"Opposed, although not strictly on the principle of the legislation. Our World Assembly Ministry here in Cosmosplosion cannot, in good faith, reconcile our moral code with Part C of Active Clause 2. The death penalty, and any proposal that explicitly allows such punishment, will not receive the approval of our nation."

"Though perhaps it is poorly worded, the intention of the subclause was not to explicitly permit capital punishment (OOC: I don't believe it does? Though I may be biased on the subject), but rather to ensure that in nations where capital punishment is permitted, due to there not being an adequate ban, that it is done so in a way that is not painful. We're not seeking to explicitly allow capital punishment - but we are not aiming to outlaw it in this proposal, either."

"If any nation has invented a truly painless, physically and mentally, way to execute people, we would love to see it, as it would be new to us. And sure, while it doesn't explicitly permit capital punishment, it does make it okay as long as it is "non-painful" physically, and we would posit that every prisoner who has been executed has went through levels of mental punishment leading up to said execution that none of us could ever truly understand."
Former Minister of World Assembly Affairs - The North Pacific
Former WA Delegate - The Versutian Federation
Author of GAR #459 - On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes
I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting. - Che Guevara

Economic Left/Right: -7.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:47 pm

Should it be assumed that Article 2d would expand the principle of GA#412, Article 1, to include (for instance) anti-viral drugs that are effective against a particular virus-borne disease where no vaccine for that disease is available?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Should it be assumed that Article 2d would expand the principle of GA#412, Article 1, to include (for instance) anti-viral drugs that are effective against a particular virus-borne disease where no vaccine for that disease is available?

"Theoretically, yes, provided that is was deemed necessary for the public health."

Cosmosplosion wrote:
Morover wrote:"Though perhaps it is poorly worded, the intention of the subclause was not to explicitly permit capital punishment (OOC: I don't believe it does? Though I may be biased on the subject), but rather to ensure that in nations where capital punishment is permitted, due to there not being an adequate ban, that it is done so in a way that is not painful. We're not seeking to explicitly allow capital punishment - but we are not aiming to outlaw it in this proposal, either."

"If any nation has invented a truly painless, physically and mentally, way to execute people, we would love to see it, as it would be new to us. And sure, while it doesn't explicitly permit capital punishment, it does make it okay as long as it is "non-painful" physically, and we would posit that every prisoner who has been executed has went through levels of mental punishment leading up to said execution that none of us could ever truly understand."

"While I understand your opposition to such capital punishment, and even share in it, I feel that it is not suited for this proposal. I would love to see an explicit ban to capital punishment myself, and I feel it is something to work towards, but I don't quite understand why it merits opposition to the proposal at hand."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:52 pm

Cosmosplosion wrote:
Morover wrote:"Though perhaps it is poorly worded, the intention of the subclause was not to explicitly permit capital punishment (OOC: I don't believe it does? Though I may be biased on the subject), but rather to ensure that in nations where capital punishment is permitted, due to there not being an adequate ban, that it is done so in a way that is not painful. We're not seeking to explicitly allow capital punishment - but we are not aiming to outlaw it in this proposal, either."

"This proposal, as far as I can read, does not take a pro-capital-punishment stance. It merely places restrictions on capital punishments for nations which do carry them out. Current World Assembly legislation, to my knowledge, permits capital punishment in all cases. This proposal does not reinforce that status, nor would it make outlawing capital punishment more difficult.

In fact, Clause 2(c) of this resolution is entirely non-operative were it passed right now, as GAR #443 contains even stronger language."
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Charax
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Charax » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:34 pm

Morover wrote:
  2. Bans the administration of undesirable substances unto any sapient individual who has not consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:
  3. Clarifies that, even under these exceptions, no adverse effects should be administered other than those deemed absolutely necessary.
[/box]

A couple of things:
  1. I believe you mean "bans the administration of undesirable substances into any sapient individual
  2. I would personally go with prohibits over "bans", but that might just be that I like ornate language for its own sake
  3. The final point is a little clunkily worded. This isn't perfect, but I would offer Clarifies that, even under these exceptions, medical practitioners may not induce any more adverse effects in patients than absolutely necessary as a potential jumping-off point for that.
I think this is a good proposal and I'll vote for it if it's ruled legal and makes it through the editing process more-or-less intact.
Minister of WA Affairs, Balder
◆◆◆

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Charax wrote:
Morover wrote:
[/box]

A couple of things:
  1. I believe you mean "bans the administration of undesirable substances into any sapient individual
  2. I would personally go with prohibits over "bans", but that might just be that I like ornate language for its own sake
  3. The final point is a little clunkily worded. This isn't perfect, but I would offer Clarifies that, even under these exceptions, medical practitioners may not induce any more adverse effects in patients than absolutely necessary as a potential jumping-off point for that.
I think this is a good proposal and I'll vote for it if it's ruled legal and makes it through the editing process more-or-less intact.

OOC: Fixing 1 and 3, 2 I see as a nonissue.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 am

OOC: Clause 1 should have something about legal competence in it, so that children can be "forced" (or cajoled or coerced or whatever) to take medications that they don't want to take (because they taste bad or whatever) but which they need to take for their own health's sake (like, say, antibiotics).
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:59 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Clause 1 should have something about legal competence in it, so that children can be "forced" (or cajoled or coerced or whatever) to take medications that they don't want to take (because they taste bad or whatever) but which they need to take for their own health's sake (like, say, antibiotics).

OOC: Fixed, thanks.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:19 am

OOC: Bumping this.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 am

OOC:

Sorry for the undesirable triple post, but I'd like to say that due to general lack of feedback (which I presume means it has at least a decent standard of quality), this will be submitted in three weeks, on April 25, unless any substantive critiques which are unfixable in the given time frame are brought to light.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Maowi
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:52 am

Morover wrote:
  1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, "undesirable substance" as any drug, medication, or other substance, in which its whose primary intent in administration can be reasonably assumed to not be desired by the individual in which to whom it is being administered to;

OOC: Just some grammatical suggestions there to clean up the language.
  • Bans the administration of undesirable substances to any sapient individual of legal competence who has not consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:

• "Although a minor detail, I suggest adding "freely" before "consented", to eliminate the possibility of people being threatened in order to obtain their "consent"."
    2. a patient whichthe individual is undergoing a medical procedure and needs to receive emergency medications, where and consent is not able to be received;
    3. in cases ofthe undesirable substance is being administered as capital punishment, in which case lethal, non-painful doses must be administered in order to invoke induce a humane death;

OOC: Those suggestions in part b) are for consistency with part a) and with the phrasing of the main clause those are sub-clauses of. With that in mind, the way part c) is currently written sounds like these undesirable substances may only be used where national laws already require non-painful doses and a humane death. That's not that different to what I assume you're going for and would probably be interpreted correctly anyway, but it does feel kinda strange to read so I suggested an alternative. (Also, "invoke" means "call upon" [e.g. evil spirits, or it's used to mean referring to a source in a document or something] so maybe use "induce" or "cause" or "lead to" or something.)

Anyway, those are all tiny things so I'm fully in support!
    THE SUPINE SOCIALIST SLOTHLAND OF MAOWI

hi!LETHARGY ⭐️ LANGUOR ⭐️ LAZINESShi!

Home | Guide for Visitors | Religion | Fashion

Morover
    Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:32 am

Maowi wrote:
    Morover wrote:
    1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, "undesirable substance" as any drug, medication, or other substance, in which its whose primary intent in administration can be reasonably assumed to not be desired by the individual in which to whom it is being administered to;

OOC: Just some grammatical suggestions there to clean up the language.
  • Bans the administration of undesirable substances to any sapient individual of legal competence who has not consented to the administration, except in the following circumstances:

• "Although a minor detail, I suggest adding "freely" before "consented", to eliminate the possibility of people being threatened in order to obtain their "consent"."
    2. a patient whichthe individual is undergoing a medical procedure and needs to receive emergency medications, where and consent is not able to be received;
    3. in cases ofthe undesirable substance is being administered as capital punishment, in which case lethal, non-painful doses must be administered in order to invoke induce a humane death;

OOC: Those suggestions in part b) are for consistency with part a) and with the phrasing of the main clause those are sub-clauses of. With that in mind, the way part c) is currently written sounds like these undesirable substances may only be used where national laws already require non-painful doses and a humane death. That's not that different to what I assume you're going for and would probably be interpreted correctly anyway, but it does feel kinda strange to read so I suggested an alternative. (Also, "invoke" means "call upon" [e.g. evil spirits, or it's used to mean referring to a source in a document or something] so maybe use "induce" or "cause" or "lead to" or something.)

Anyway, those are all tiny things so I'm fully in support!

OOC: All fixed! And welcome back. Good to see you again.
    World Assembly Author
    ns.morover@gmail.com

Morover
    Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:54 pm

OOC: Just a reminder that this will be submitted in nine days. If there have been no more comments, I will bump again when we're three days out as a final call.
    World Assembly Author
    ns.morover@gmail.com

Imperium Anglorum
    GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
    Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:58 pm

"Undesirable Substances" is vague unto meaningless. I doubt it would be a good title choice.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
    Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
    Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
    GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
    Delegate for Europe
    Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
    Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
    Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Morover
    Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:09 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:"Undesirable Substances" is vague unto meaningless. I doubt it would be a good title choice.

OOC:

I switched the title from "undesirable" to "unwanted", which I assume still isn't ideal, but it's the best I could come up with for the time being. I'll think more about it.
    World Assembly Author
    ns.morover@gmail.com

Kenmoria
    GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:22 pm

“Clause 1 would read better if there were an ‘an’ after ‘for the purposes of this resolution’.”
    Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
    My pronouns are he/him.
    Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
    Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Maowi
    Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2019
    Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Morover wrote:Clarifies that, even under these exceptions, adverse effects that are not deemed necessary should be minimized to the greatest extent which is possible.

OOC: Is this supposed to be binding or an "urges..."-type thing? If you were going for the former, "should" is probably not the best choice of language, as its force seems ambiguous to me.
    THE SUPINE SOCIALIST SLOTHLAND OF MAOWI

hi!LETHARGY ⭐️ LANGUOR ⭐️ LAZINESShi!

Home | Guide for Visitors | Religion | Fashion

Morover
    Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:03 pm

OOC: Fixed both of the above complaints.
    World Assembly Author
    ns.morover@gmail.com

Wallenburg
    Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
    Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:16 pm

Clause IV of the Patient's Rights Act seems to cover all of this and more.
    While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Morover
    Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Wallenburg wrote:Clause IV of the Patient's Rights Act seems to cover all of this and more.

OOC: I'd argue that "treatments" are different from "administrations", if that makes any sense.

Nevertheless, to prevent substantive overlap, I'll include some wording that should solve the issue.
    World Assembly Author
    ns.morover@gmail.com

Wallenburg
    Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
    Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:39 pm

Morover wrote:
    Wallenburg wrote:Clause IV of the Patient's Rights Act seems to cover all of this and more.

OOC: I'd argue that "treatments" are different from "administrations", if that makes any sense.

Nevertheless, to prevent substantive overlap, I'll include some wording that should solve the issue.

What difference is there?
    While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives