NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal: "Ensuring Safe Syringe Use"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Acronis
Civil Servant

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Acronis » Mon May 18, 2020 10:08 am

Morover wrote:If you read the replacement, you'll see that it covers syringes as well.

My question is more along the lines of "is a repeal of this particular resolution strictly necessary even if there is planned future legislation that intends to be more broad than the legislation that currently exists?" I've looked over the proposed replacement and as far as I can tell, if it were at vote now, I would vote in its favor, but we tend to see a lot of repeals that begin with things like "RECOGNIZING the good intentions of Resolution Whichever, HOWEVER..." and I'm not convinced it's necessary to always do things in such a manner.
Some guy from The East Pacific

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon May 18, 2020 10:42 am

“As this is now at vote, I have voted in favour of this proposal; it accurately addresses and resolves an error in prior legislation.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Sancta Romana Ecclesia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sancta Romana Ecclesia » Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am

Wallenburg wrote:Needles are syringes. I don't see what the issue is here.

I agree with this sentiment and this is the reason for my against vote.
Paulus Asteorra

Gogtopia
Civil Servant

Founded: May 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Gogtopia » Mon May 18, 2020 11:43 am

Full support, assuming "Act for the Proper Hygiene for Medical Instruments" is promptly put at vote.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Mon May 18, 2020 11:51 am

Abstain, until there is a replacement proposal submitted.
Last edited by Heavens Reach on Mon May 18, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon May 18, 2020 11:57 am

Heavens Reach wrote:Abstain, until there is a replacement proposal submitted.

(OOC: A replacement proposal would be submitted after this repeal has passed, since it would otherwise be duplication or contradiction of the target resolution. The replacement is, however, currently on the forum and ready for submission.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Angry Peasant Crusader Mob
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Angry Peasant Crusader Mob » Mon May 18, 2020 12:52 pm

If your problem is the terminology of the legislation make a motion to edit or fix it instead of removing it.

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Mon May 18, 2020 1:17 pm

The Angry Peasant Crusader Mob wrote:If your problem is the terminology of the legislation make a motion to edit or fix it instead of removing it.

OOC: Due to how game mechanics work, resolutions cannot be amended. In order to resolve certain issues with the text, it is necessary to repeal and replace the resolution in question.
Delegate of the 10000 Islands
Ambassador to the WA: Mr. Reede Tappe

TITO Tactical Officer

For a detailed list of positions, and other things of note, click here.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Mon May 18, 2020 1:24 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Heavens Reach wrote:Abstain, until there is a replacement proposal submitted.

(OOC: A replacement proposal would be submitted after this repeal has passed, since it would otherwise be duplication or contradiction of the target resolution. The replacement is, however, currently on the forum and ready for submission.)

(OOC: got it!)

Support.

Pigeonstan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pigeonstan » Tue May 19, 2020 3:59 pm

Morover wrote:

General Assembly Resolution #482: Ensuring Safe Syringe Use (Category: Health; Area of Effect: Healthcare) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Noting the good intentions of GAR#482: "Ensuring Safe Syringe Use";

Believing that, despite these good intentions and eloquence of the target, it does have some significant issues, which most notably include the following:
  1. The use of the term "syringe" in place of "needle", the intended issue of GAR#482, which makes nearly all of the clauses obsolete, given that they have no actual significant effect on actual syringes, as syringes need significantly less disinfection than needles;
  2. The ambiguous use of the word "OR" in clause 1(a) which could lead to some confusion among the actual goal of the Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response Center;
Knowing that, as a result of these issues, the target resolution doesn't actually accomplish its goals effectively;

Wishing to replace GAR#482 with a resolution that does actually accomplish the noble goal that the target was initially intended to do;

Hereby repeals and strikes out "Ensuring Safe Syringe Use".

OOC: Decided to say "screw it" and go ahead with a repeal. Very rough. I will get a replacement up sooner or later. Comments are greatly appreciated.

DRAFTS:
WA Resolution #482: Ensuring Safe Syringe Use (Category: Health; Area of Effect: Healthcare) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Believing that, in spite of these good intentions and eloquence of the target, it does have some significant issues, listed below in no specific order:
  1. The use of the term "syringe" in place of "needle", the intended issue of GAR#482, which makes nearly all of the clauses obsolete, given that they have no actual significant effect on actual syringes, given that syringes need significantly less disinfection than needles;
  2. The ambiguous use of the word "OR" in clause 1(a) which could lead to some confusion among the actual goal of the Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response Center;
Knowing that, as a result of these issues, the target resolution doesn't actually accomplish its goals effectively;

Wishing to replace GAR#482 with a resolution that does actually accomplish the noble goal that the target was initially intended to do,

General Assembly Resolution #482: Ensuring Safe Syringe Use (Category: Health; Area of Effect: Healthcare) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Believing that, in spite of these good intentions and eloquence of the target, it does have some significant issues, which most notably include the following:
  1. The use of the term "syringe" in place of "needle", the intended issue of GAR#482, which makes nearly all of the clauses obsolete, given that they have no actual significant effect on actual syringes, given that syringes need significantly less disinfection than needles;

Wishing to replace GAR#482 with a resolution that does actually accomplish the noble goal that the target was initially intended to do,

endorse PIGEONSTAN
WELL HI
REMEMBER IF YOU ARE IN TNP FORUM (AND A CITIZEN)
VOTE FOR PIGEONSTAN FOR DELEGATE
IN JANUARY DELEGATIAL ELECTIONS

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri May 22, 2020 9:08 am

Repeal "Ensuring Safe Syringe Use" was passed 19,244 votes to 3,770.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri May 22, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives