NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Ensuring Commercial Vessel Navigation

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:04 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Bears Armed has a minority-group of sapient Ravens, and one of the main careers followed by its members is delivery-work for our main postal business: The facts that they can apparently take short-cuts through some other dimension, carry letters & even small parcels in what some people might call "hammerspace", and somehow use their wing-tips secondarily as hands (in best "Disney" fashion) help them to be very good at this...

(Have one of their leaders get in contact with my Government. Our Royal Post could find this useful).

(Consider it done.)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Terttia
Envoy

Founded: Jul 28, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:09 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:OOC: This is really starting, in my opinion, to be shaping up into a rather useful proposition. I just wish you had saved earlier drafts in the top post under spoiler tags, though. That is a good learning tool for other new authors on how an initial draft is made in to a good proposal.

I wasn’t aware of that :( I’ll be sure to do that the next time I write a proposal.
“Never was anything great achieved without danger.” -Niccolò Machiavelli

Terttia
Envoy

Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:11 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Could 4d have an addition to clarify that only reasonable regulations be respected, for example putting in that local regulations that are in contradiction of GA legislation or common good practice needn’t be followed?”

I’ll be sure to do that.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Could 4d have an addition to clarify that only reasonable regulations be respected, for example putting in that local regulations that are in contradiction of GA legislation or common good practice needn’t be followed?”

IC: "That would be a bad idea. If a nation needs to clear its territorial waters of foreign craft for whatever reason, giving ships' crews the right to go "nuh-uh, we don't feel like it" would make it a nightmarish mess with some ships obeying and some not."

OOC: Think of a war about to break out - target nation has gotten information about one of the foreign commercial craft carrying a nuke with the intention of detonating it when it nears the port. Being able to command ships off the territorial waters (not EEC) would be helpful, but most commercial transport companies maximize their profits by minimizing their kilometres traveled, and would be unlikely to volunteer to obeying something that's only a suggestion.

Also, Araraukar in IC has vested interest in this matter, since its territorial waters have some of the highest commercial traffic nautical routes in the world (on its planet).

Aclion wrote:Sea travel is safe now in part because we have accurate, up-to-date publicly available sea charts.

OOC: I never claimed differently? In any case, the problem the wording created, has been sorted in the new draft.

Grays Harbor wrote:OOC: I just wish you had saved earlier drafts in the top post under spoiler tags, though. That is a good learning tool for other new authors on how an initial draft is made in to a good proposal.

First draft. Second draft. Third draft is probably lost. Fourth draft.

Terttia wrote:obey the local authorities when it comes to additional temporary regulations applied to all commercial vessels in that area, unless one of those regulations contradicts existing GA legislation and/or the common good of the vessel, its crew, or the surrounding areas,

OOC: Please remove that. And stop editing reactively, it's the quickest way to write yourself into a corner. :P

EDIT: A WA nation couldn't legally give an order/regulation that was against WA law, anyway, and for the rest, it requires the same to be applied to all commercial vessels in that area and be temporary, so ships really shouldn't be allowed to choose if they want to obey the local authorities. A reasonable nation wouldn't put in place regulations that scuppered all commercial transport for no reason, but if we let ships disobey their orders, that's probably a contradiction of existing resolutions.

Think of it as police stopping freeway traffic and maybe ordering cars to get off the freeway, and some truckers deciding to disobey because they get bonuses when they get to their destination on time. Police are unlikely to do that just for the fun of it, though, so there's probably some very serious reason for the order. Like maybe a plane needs an emergency landing site. But whatever it is, giving the transporters freedom to choose not to obey, would lead to a disaster sooner or later.
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Republic Of Vox
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Fares and trades.

Postby Republic Of Vox » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:26 pm

That sound such a good proposal, like already many others already have suggested there's little things to change but its good.
My suggestion is a fare paid from those commercial ships, such fare should translate into a some kind of navy protection from the country where those commercial ships will pass.

Terttia
Envoy

Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Republic Of Vox wrote:My suggestion is a fare paid from those commercial ships, such fare should translate into a some kind of navy protection from the country where those commercial ships will pass.

Realistically, it wouldn’t do any good to the ship, the ship’s crew, and the shipping company to sail a ship through unsafe waters.

Ard al Islam
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 14, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ard al Islam » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Does my commercial robot shark count?

Terttia
Envoy

Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Ard al Islam wrote:Does my commercial robot shark count?

Does it transport cargo? If so, then yes. (I’m working on a definition for cargo vessel.)

Terttia
Envoy

Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:38 pm

Added 1d to cover the definition of a commercial vessel.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:00 am

“Your definition of ‘commercial vessel’ is, in my opinion, over-inclusive. ‘Passenger’ can mean a paying passenger, but often means any person on the vessel other than the driver. In which case, military vessels would count as being commercial.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:17 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Your definition of ‘commercial vessel’ is, in my opinion, over-inclusive. ‘Passenger’ can mean a paying passenger, but often means any person on the vessel other than the driver. In which case, military vessels would count as being commercial.”

Perhaps then they could add “non-military” in there, and that would solve that particular loophole, I do believe.

EDIT: the official US definition is as follows. Obviously using it word for word would be plagiarism, so it would need to be put in their own words, but that shouldn’t be overly difficult, and clean that clause up nicely. I would think just adding “for hire” would do that.

According to 26 USCS § 4462, [Title 26. Internal Revenue Code; Subtitle D. Miscellaneous Excise Taxes; Chapter 36. Certain Other Excise Taxes; Subchapter A. Harbor Maintenance Tax], the term ‘commercial vessel’ is defined as:

(A) In general. The term 'commercial vessel' means any vessel used--

(i) in transporting cargo by water for compensation or hire, or

(ii) in transporting cargo by water in the business of the owner, lessee, or operator of the vessel.

(B) Exclusion of ferries.

(i) In general. The term 'commercial vessel' does not include any ferry engaged primarily in the ferrying of passengers (including their vehicles) between points within the United States, or between the United States and contiguous countries.

(ii) Ferry. The term 'ferry' means any vessel which arrives in the United States on a regular schedule during its operating season at intervals of at least once each business day.

Maybe this ... ?
”commercial vessels” as non military vessels that transport cargo and/or passengers for hire.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Terttia
Envoy

Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:”commercial vessels” as non military vessels that transport cargo and/or passengers for hire.

I like this definition as it is concise and does the job of defining commercial vessels quite well. Therefore, I’m using it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:56 am

Grays Harbor wrote:Maybe this ... ?
”commercial vessels” as non military vessels that transport cargo and/or passengers for hire.

That would exclude ships carrying goods &/or personnel for the benefit of the same commercial interests that own those vessels, e.g. where a business owns both the banana plantations in a group of tropical nations and the 'banana boats' that transport the crops to other nations where they will be sold...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:40 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:Maybe this ... ?

That would exclude ships carrying goods &/or personnel for the benefit of the same commercial interests that own those vessels, e.g. where a business owns both the banana plantations in a group of tropical nations and the 'banana boats' that transport the crops to other nations where they will be sold...

I believe it wouldn’t as they still cost the company to operate them. I would consider them covered by the definition.

And any Captain that takes a freighter out of port without the necessary navigation charts and equipment because of a perceived loophole doesn’t deserve his stripes, and shouldn’t be in command of a rubber duckie in a bathtub.

Not Ta'veren

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:45 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:That would exclude ships carrying goods &/or personnel for the benefit of the same commercial interests that own those vessels, e.g. where a business owns both the banana plantations in a group of tropical nations and the 'banana boats' that transport the crops to other nations where they will be sold...

I believe it wouldn’t as they still cost the company to operate them. I would consider them covered by the definition.

OOC: Is this '{cargo and/or passengers} for hire' or 'cargo and/or {passengers for hire}', i.e., does the qualifier 'for hire' refer to both the cargo and the passengers or just the passengers? If the latter, the banana boats would definitely be covered.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 am

The New Nordic Union wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:I believe it wouldn’t as they still cost the company to operate them. I would consider them covered by the definition.

OOC: Is this '{cargo and/or passengers} for hire' or 'cargo and/or {passengers for hire}', i.e., does the qualifier 'for hire' refer to both the cargo and the passengers or just the passengers? If the latter, the banana boats would definitely be covered.

No, freight counts too.

Not Ta'veren

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:41 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:That would exclude ships carrying goods &/or personnel for the benefit of the same commercial interests that own those vessels, e.g. where a business owns both the banana plantations in a group of tropical nations and the 'banana boats' that transport the crops to other nations where they will be sold...

I think that there's scope for disagreement there, even with vessels that are actually owned by commercial enterprises...
... and state-run shipping lines belonging to Marxist regimes would surely reject that definition!
Also, what about vessels whose purpose isn't carrying cargo or passengers but that still could fall into the "commercial" category? Oilfield exploration & exploitation, tugs, and so on...

And any Captain that takes a freighter out of port without the necessary navigation charts and equipment because of a perceived loophole doesn’t deserve his stripes, and shouldn’t be in command of a rubber duckie in a bathtub.
That's a separate matter, and considering what some NS governments get up to...
:roll:

I'd base the requirement on tonnage rather than commercial purpose, myself.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:56 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:I believe it wouldn’t as they still cost the company to operate them. I would consider them covered by the definition.

I think that there's scope for disagreement there, even with vessels that are actually owned by commercial enterprises...
... and state-run shipping lines belonging to Marxist regimes would surely reject that definition!
Also, what about vessels whose purpose isn't carrying cargo or passengers but that still could fall into the "commercial" category? Oilfield exploration & exploitation, tugs, and so on...
I would think charts would be a good thing to have regardless of what they do or don’t carry. I wouldn’t consider including those an oversight. As for state-run shipping lines, it is still a cargo or passenger vessel. If they want to exclude themselves using that reasoning, they are idiots, and the “rubber duckie” applies to them as well.
That's a separate matter, and considering what some NS governments get up to...
:roll:

I'd base the requirement on tonnage rather than commercial purpose, myself.

Not Ta'veren

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:05 am

Grays Harbor wrote:As for state-run shipping lines, it is still a cargo or passenger vessel. If they want to exclude themselves using that reasoning, they are idiots, and the “rubber duckie” applies to them as well.

Which is small consolation to any other nation whose waters get messed up when one of those state-run lines' vessels has an accident... :(

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:14 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:As for state-run shipping lines, it is still a cargo or passenger vessel. If they want to exclude themselves using that reasoning, they are idiots, and the “rubber duckie” applies to them as well.

Which is small consolation to any other nation whose waters get messed up when one of those state-run lines' vessels has an accident... :(

Which is why my Navy routinely conducts “Health & Safety” inspections on vessels suspected of creative non compliance with safety regulation. Then we offer them a non-optional “Naval Honor Guard & Courtesy Escort” out of our territorial waters. :p

Not Ta'veren

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:57 am

“You have a mixture of varieties of finishing punctuation, which I suggest standardising. Also, there should be a ‘to’ after ‘vessel’ in clause 1a.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Terttia
Envoy

Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:07 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“You have a mixture of varieties of finishing punctuation, which I suggest standardising. Also, there should be a ‘to’ after ‘vessel’ in clause 1a.”

Added semicolons to the ending of each numerical clause except for 4 (ends with a period); fixed the grammar issue.

Also, I’m going to format the proposal.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:02 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Which is small consolation to any other nation whose waters get messed up when one of those state-run lines' vessels has an accident... :(

Which is why my Navy routinely conducts “Health & Safety” inspections on vessels suspected of creative non compliance with safety regulation. Then we offer them a non-optional “Naval Honor Guard & Courtesy Escort” out of our territorial waters. :p

OOC: Also why Araraukarian coast guard rivals some navies on its planet... and has much the same approach as GH's.

I'm doing better, but busy until Friday. Vessel definition could simply be "cargo or passenger vessel", since don't need to define common nouns.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Terttia
Envoy

Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:19 pm

Araraukar wrote:Vessel definition could simply be "cargo or passenger vessel", since don't need to define common nouns.

I think that the current definition defines commercial vessels quite well.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:38 pm

Terttia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Vessel definition could simply be "cargo or passenger vessel", since don't need to define common nouns.

I think that the current definition defines commercial vessels quite well.

OOC: The "for hire" is problematic as has already been demonstrated. Also "and/or" is clumsy language use for a law text. "Cargo or passenger vessel" would work since they're common nouns and used in the way they are normally defined, hence not needing definitions. Does it catch military transport ships? Who cares? They should have charts too.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives