NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] The Amelioration of Maritime Conditions

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Radical Republic
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 20, 2018
New York Times Democracy

[DEFEATED] The Amelioration of Maritime Conditions

Postby Radical Republic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:09 pm

Figured I should use the forum this time. Anyway, here's the draft:

Recognizing the vast amount of pollutants in the hydrosphere.

Defining a pollutant as a substance added to the hydrosphere that has negative effects on organisms.

Wishing to monitor and record the sources and track the severity of pollutants in the hydrosphere.

Hereby:
[list=1][*]Requires all governmental organizations to keep a record of any and all pollutants added by them to the hydrosphere.
[*]Encourages governments to legislate private corporations to keep a record themselves.
[*]Requires the record to be accessible to anyone who wishes to view it. This includes other governments or citizens.
Last edited by Ransium on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:24 am

OOC: Welcome to the GA forum!

Am I right in guessing that this was marked illegal after you first submitted it? Did you take note of what it was marked illegal for?

The usual questions:

Category and strength/AoE? (Some categories have strengths, some have areas of effect, and you can find them in the proposal rules, which are in a sticky on this forum.)

In case you were aiming for Environmental, then this doesn't actually do anything about the pollutants, so it's not really a good fit. The problem is that it's not really a good fit in anything else either, given that Bookkeeping isn't a real category.

This would be akin to, let's say you wanted to stop people from speeding, and you mandated that people kept records of how often they drive faster than the speed limit, and by how much did they exceed it. That wouldn't actually do anything about the problem.

Another problem here is the wording "added by them to the hydrosphere", as that could read as only meaning pollutants added directly into water. Air pollution becomes hydrosphere pollution when it rains, yet it's not added directly into the hydrosphere, unless you take the view that clouds count as part of hydrosphere, in which case you will likely need to add a definition of hydrosphere, as that's not the normal reading. Same for any pollution that might be washed into water by rain, after it had been dumped on land. The polluting company could easily declare that they didn't add it into the hydrosphere, that it was due to a natural process (rain) and thus not their fault.

Ironically you would catch sewage purification plants and such, which are trying to limit water pollution.

The failed code was already in it.
Radical Republic wrote:Figured I should use the forum this time. Anyway, here's the draft:

Defining a pollutant as a substance added to the hydrosphere that has negative effects on organisms.

Wishing to monitor and record the sources and track the severity of pollutants in the hydrosphere.

Hereby:
[list=1][*]Requires all governmental organizations to keep a record of any and all pollutants added by them to the hydrosphere.
[*]Encourages governments to legislate private corporations to keep a record themselves.
[*]Requires the record to be accessible to anyone who wishes to view it. This includes other governments or citizens.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:06 am

OOC
I'm not entirely sure that it was marked as illegal, it might just have failed to reach quorum due to the lack of a lobbying campaign.
Looking at it now, though, it certainly needs to specify that it's only applying to member nations' governments.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

New Jorsonn
Secretary

Founded: Oct 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jorsonn » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:22 am

As an island nation, we are very interested in the recording of maritime pollution, however, we believe that this bill doesn't go far enough to address maritime pollution's causes and effects. Ideally, this bill would require something more substantial than record keeping. Maybe it should require member nations of the World Assembly to monitor and attempt to rectify pollution occurring in their national waters. Remember also that international waters are vast and a World Assembly organization built to deal with pollution there would get a lot of traction.

Elon Rustsson
Minister of Foreign Affairs
New Jorsonn

1159 Coast Guard Street
Freeport, New Jorsonn
Last edited by New Jorsonn on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radical Republic
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 20, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby Radical Republic » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:06 pm

The few responses I have gotten provided a great deal of information. A general basis of the new content will include:
1. Redefining a maritime pollutant as a pollutant that affects the hydrosphere. (This includes most chemical pollutants. Excludes pollution like light or noise)
2. Mandating that member nations above the recorded international average must reduce their maritime pollutant production 5% by the end of the fiscal year.
note: I am not sure about point 2 since it includes quantitative actions. I don't know if that goes against WA resolution standard.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:41 pm

Radical Republic wrote:The few responses I have gotten provided a great deal of information. A general basis of the new content will include:
1. Redefining a maritime pollutant as a pollutant that affects the hydrosphere. (This includes most chemical pollutants. Excludes pollution like light or noise)
2. Mandating that member nations above the recorded international average must reduce their maritime pollutant production 5% by the end of the fiscal year.
note: I am not sure about point 2 since it includes quantitative actions. I don't know if that goes against WA resolution standard.

(OOC: Point 2 wouldn’t necessarily be bad, but it would mean that nations even with massive pollution would be forced to reduce slightly, and those who are already at a very low standard would be forced to go even further. I recommend looking online for examples of real-world legislation on this issue.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:51 pm

Dadi01 wrote:An independent body of experts in the matter at hand is by its nature going to make better decisions.

OOC: Not necessarily, if the experts don't understand the realities that their decisions affect, plus inflexible one-sided decision-making on huge issues is always a bad idea.

But even that aside, anyone wanting to legislate on pollution, should read the already existing ones on the subject, because if "anything that can end up in water" is a water pollutant, that includes air pollutants and there are some resolutions addressing that, already in effect. And there are some already addressing freshwater pollution. (And unless it got repealed and I missed that, there's one for the greenhouse gas cap trade thingy.)
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:02 pm

OOC: In queue, as submitted:
The Amelioration of Maritime Conditions

Category: Environmental
Area of Effect: All Businesses - Mild

Defining a maritime pollutant as a pollutant that affects the hydrosphere or on its organisms. These pollutants are limited to substance added directly to the hyrdosphere through methods like dumping or runoff. Airborne pollutants are exempt.

Hereby:

• Requires all governmental organizations to keep a record of any and all pollutants added by them to the hydrosphere.
  • Encourages governments to legislate private corporations to keep a record themselves.
  • Requires the record to be accessible to anyone who wishes to view it. This includes other governments or citizens.
  • Mandating that member nations above the recorded international average must reduce their maritime pollutant production 5% by the end of the fiscal year

Still illegal for failing to specify member nations only for the first three clauses and then using member nations specifically in the last one. Aka legislating on non-members.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:12 pm

This is a pretty skeletal proposal.

About the only things that it does is require governments to keep track of pollutants they add, and I'm not entirely sure how practical even that is with this wording. If you have a neolithic civilisation, which is somehow able to comprehend membership to the WA, and a rainstorm floods their storehouse of twine, do they have to keep track of every strand as it floats into the sea? Where would a modern nation get the information to be aware of all pollutants that they produce and is any research required? That is to say, if you have written a list of four things that you know you've polluted the ocean with and genuinely aren't aware of the eight billion others, is that compliance? If airborne pollutants are excepted, is it permissible to dispose of your nation's waste with a large seaside catapult? This is the type of stuff that can't really be structured in less than 150 words.

Aside, point 4. mandating a 5% reduction in existing waste is really just duck teeth. Granted there is no pollution metric in the game, but let's say if there were it would be called spilled barrels of oil per day. And the average for the world is 1,300 spilled barrels per day. Alright, well irl that would be quite bad and necessitate international action since I can only assume it's been going on for years. Point 4. would say that anyone who is spilling 1,300 barrels of oil a day is A-OK, and anybody who is spilling 25,000 need only spill 23,750 to be in compliance.

Kranostav
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:59 pm

Generally against, It feels incomplete and I think its fairly unreasonable to require a nation to know all of its pollutants and then use them to come to a conclusion of reducing them per a national average.

Perhaps task a committee with collection of that data and the public distribution, and then have that committee liaison with nation leaders to find ways to reduce pollutants.
Non-compliance is lame and you should feel bad
The meddling WA Kid of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:46 am

(OOC: I don’t understand why this was submitted. There are still demonstrably legality issues with the proposal, and the legislation generally would have benefitted in quality from a longer period of drafting. I encourage the author to withdraw this proposal so that it can be worked on.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:20 am

For the record, the submitted version (possibly with some different formatting) is

Defining a maritime pollutant as a pollutant that affects the hydrosphere or on its organisms. These pollutants are limited to substance added directly to the hyrdosphere through methods like dumping or runoff. Airborne pollutants are exempt.

Hereby:

1. Requires all governmental organizations to keep a record of any and all pollutants added by them to the hydrosphere.
  2. Encourages governments to legislate private corporations to keep a record themselves.
  3. Requires the record to be accessible to anyone who wishes to view it. This includes other governments or citizens.
  4. Mandating that member nations above the recorded international average must reduce their maritime pollutant production 5% by the end of the fiscal year.

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: I don’t understand why this was submitted. There are still demonstrably legality issues with the proposal, and the legislation generally would have benefitted in quality from a longer period of drafting. I encourage the author to withdraw this proposal so that it can be worked on.)

OOC: At current GenSec has marked this legal on the control panel, so maybe someone prod them? If there is a serious question, it would be better to hold it from vote.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:28 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:OOC: At current GenSec has marked this legal on the control panel, so maybe someone prod them? If there is a serious question, it would be better to hold it from vote.

GenSec too busy ruling on my proposal at vote, I'm guessing :p

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:37 am

OOC: The current control panel rulings are consistent with our informal precedent which has been much discussed with the community. References to nations rather than member nations, or in this case governments rather than governments of member nations, are not metagaming violations. The point of the rule is not to force authors to jump through pedantic hoops where "all nations" cannot be used but to actually stop attempts at legislating on non-member nations.

And to get in ahead of accusations of inconsistency, the other submitted proposal, Maritime Safety And Disaster Response, which is currently held as illegal. My illegal vote there is in line with my previously expressed thoughts on international waters.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:20 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: The current control panel rulings are consistent with our informal precedent which has been much discussed with the community. References to nations rather than member nations, or in this case governments rather than governments of member nations, are not metagaming violations. The point of the rule is not to force authors to jump through pedantic hoops where "all nations" cannot be used but to actually stop attempts at legislating on non-member nations.

And to get in ahead of accusations of inconsistency, the other submitted proposal, Maritime Safety And Disaster Response, which is currently held as illegal. My illegal vote there is in line with my previously expressed thoughts on international waters.

OOC: But it uses literally "Requires all governmental organizations". That's a requirement placed for non-member nations' governmental organizations as well, given that it specifies member nations separately.

East Meranopirus wrote:*snip*

Pimping your proposal on someone else's thread is bad manners.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:23 am

Araraukar wrote:it specifies member nations separately.

Code: Select all
Python 2.7.16 (default, Oct 16 2019, 00:34:56)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.37.14)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> s = '''Recognizing the vast amount of pollutants in the hydrosphere.
... Defining a pollutant as a substance added to the hydrosphere that has negative effects on organisms.
... Wishing to monitor and record the sources and track the severity of pollutants in the hydrosphere.
... Hereby:
... [list=1][*]Requires all governmental organizations to keep a record of any and all pollutants added by them to the hydrosphere.
... [*]Encourages governments to legislate private corporations to keep a record themselves.
... [*]Requires the record to be accessible to anyone who wishes to view it. This includes other governments or citizens.'''
>>> 'member' in s
False
>>> 'member' in s.lower()
False
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:31 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Araraukar wrote:it specifies member nations separately.

Code: Select all
Python 2.7.16 (default, Oct 16 2019, 00:34:56)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.37.14)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> s = '''Recognizing the vast amount of pollutants in the hydrosphere.
... Defining a pollutant as a substance added to the hydrosphere that has negative effects on organisms.
... Wishing to monitor and record the sources and track the severity of pollutants in the hydrosphere.
... Hereby:
... [list=1][*]Requires all governmental organizations to keep a record of any and all pollutants added by them to the hydrosphere.
... [*]Encourages governments to legislate private corporations to keep a record themselves.
... [*]Requires the record to be accessible to anyone who wishes to view it. This includes other governments or citizens.'''
>>> 'member' in s
False
>>> 'member' in s.lower()
False
OOC: Version submitted is not the one in the OP.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Borovan entered the region as he
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Borovan entered the region as he » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:40 am

Our delegation wish to not vote for cuz we feels it is incomplete and needs more weeks or few months of work on the draft so it is more well done.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:44 am

The submitted version and title are completely different from OP, I hope that is addressed.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:45 am

Bananaistan wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:[-code-]
OOC: Version submitted is not the one in the OP.

OOC: Indeed, it was posted when I bumped this thread.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:47 am

Requires all governmental organizations

OOC: Is illegal. Because
Mandating that member nations

Exists.
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:51 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Requires all governmental organizations

OOC: Is illegal. Because
Mandating that member nations

Exists.

OOC: Yeah, but it looks like it needs an official legality challenge to deal with. You want to do it? :)

Ransium
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:42 am

I have edited the title to be consistent with the submitted version (I hope, I’m on my iPhone walking my dogs, so mistakes are possible).

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017 with some down time.
Author of 27 issues. First editor of 44.
Moderator since November 10th 2017 with some down time.

Kolm
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 18, 2013

Postby Kolm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:49 am

This legislation implies that all governments legalize private corporations.
"I mean, you had it coming."
The United Republic of Kolm

Zyvetskistaahn
Envoy

Founded: Oct 07, 2012

Postby Zyvetskistaahn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Clause 1 of this resolution seems to be overbroad, given the lack of any de minimis exception as to the pollutants that need to be recorded, such that it would seem very difficult for a nation to comply with.

On the other hand, given the optionality of clause 2, the reach of the mandatory provisions of the resolution seem too narrow to adequately address the issue it is aimed at.

Finally, given that the mandatory recording applies only to governments, it would seem that there would be disparate impacts of clause 4, in that nations that take the further step to comply with clause 2 would be expected to appear to have a higher level of pollutants while nations that do not (which one might think would seem to have the least regard for the risk of pollution and so the ones most requiring remedial action) would appear to have a lower level and escape the effect of the clause. I may be wrong in my reading, but that is certainly how it appears to me.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives