NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Convention on Animal Testing

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:08 am

OOC: Updated.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:21 pm

"More feedback would be appreciated."

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:25 pm

“Clause 7 should end with a full stop.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:26 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Clause 7 should end with a full stop.”

"This has been fixed."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Infra.

Noting that mistreatment of animal test subjects may lead to severe distress for the animal and inaccurate research results,

should end with an "and".

Clarifies that an animal can still be adopted even if it is unable to live for over a year;

Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:19 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Infra.

Noting that mistreatment of animal test subjects may lead to severe distress for the animal and inaccurate research results,

OOC
Also, there should be a comma after "the animal".
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:32 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Infra.

OOC

OOC: The Oxford comma was already used in the end of that clause, afaik, Oxford commas are not used all the time, and are instead used to breakdown lists or something similar?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC

OOC: The Oxford comma was already used in the end of that clause, afaik, Oxford commas are not used all the time, and are instead used to breakdown lists or something similar?

OOC: without it, the clause says that "mistreatment of animal test subjects"may cause "severe distress to ... inaccurate research results", rather than that it may cause the actual inaccuracy...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:01 am

Noting that mistreatment of animal test subjects may lead to—
severe distress for the animal and
inaccurate research results,

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:15 am

“2b should have ‘reporting’ as opposed to ‘report’.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:05 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“2b should have ‘reporting’ as opposed to ‘report’.”

"Fixed."

OOC: Also added comma as suggested by BA.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:48 pm

Concerned by the lack of legislation regarding the treatment of testing animals,

Recognising that animals deserve to be properly treated during, and after testing,

Noting that mistreatment of animal test subjects may lead to severe distress for the animal, and inaccurate research results, and,

Seeking to establish regulations on the treatment of animal test subjects,

Bolding is unnecessary. The commas highlighted in red are incorrectly placed.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Concerned by the lack of legislation regarding the treatment of testing animals,

Recognising that animals deserve to be properly treated during, and after testing,

Noting that mistreatment of animal test subjects may lead to severe distress for the animal, and inaccurate research results, and,

Seeking to establish regulations on the treatment of animal test subjects,

Bolding is unnecessary. The commas highlighted in red are incorrectly placed.

OOC: I personally like the bolding. Commas fixed

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:17 am

OOC: Bumping this one more time. Looks like this isn't getting much feedback. I'll be submitting on next Sunday if this is the case.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:14 pm

OOC: Clause 7's "before the viability of its adoption or release into the wild has been examined and found unsuitable" should perhaps be reworded as "before its viability for adoption or release into the wild has been examined, and it has been found unsuitable for both" or something similar.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:03 pm

OOC: fixed.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:11 am

OOC: Submission tomorrow.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:35 am

OOC: Had to delay submission due to IRL, but now submitted.
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:56 am

“You don’t need the second instance of ‘if it’ in clause 5a.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“You don’t need the second instance of ‘if it’ in clause 5a.”

"It has already been submitted and campaigned for unfortunately, it's a very minor problem."

Creslonia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Creslonia » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:37 pm

"A resolution such as this is long overdue, and the Creslonian Animal Welfare Society wholly supports it. This resoultion also has wide support from the Creslonian population."
- Alexander Finch, Minister of Foreign Affairs

Office of the Minister of Foreign Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
2 Creslon Square
Creslon City, East Island 0123
Republic of Creslonia

Saturna1ia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Saturna1ia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:32 am

Saturna1ians genuinely support the nature of this Resolution, but feel it does not go far enough. Specifically, the lack of a ban on animal testing for cosmetic research purposes (or at the very least a condemnation of the practice) and the lack of a section on the ethical use of animal cadavers used for studying veterinary medicine. Given this dilemma, Saturna1ia will not vote For or Against. If this Resolution fails, it our hope the issue will be taken up again strengthened and revised.
A spacefaring Americana exploring Saturn's satellites, an ancient Roman festival, and a herd of wild capybaras.

Voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 and 2020 Primaries | Biden & Baldwin 2020 | Enjoying the representation of Senator Doug Jones while it lasts
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
- Roy Batty (Blade Runner 1982)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Saturna1ia wrote:Saturna1ians genuinely support the nature of this Resolution, but feel it does not go far enough. Specifically, the lack of a ban on animal testing for cosmetic research purposes (or at the very least a condemnation of the practice) and the lack of a section on the ethical use of animal cadavers used for studying veterinary medicine. Given this dilemma, Saturna1ia will not vote For or Against. If this Resolution fails, it our hope the issue will be taken up again strengthened and revised.

“How could one unethically use animal cadavers? If they are dead, there is nothing that can be done to make them feel pain. This proposal, in my opinion, hits the ideal level of strength.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Saturna1ia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Saturna1ia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“How could one unethically use animal cadavers? If they are dead, there is nothing that can be done to make them feel pain. This proposal, in my opinion, hits the ideal level of strength.”

Not adhering to a professional code of conduct during procedures on the cadaver, lack of oversight by a certified veterinarian, and improper/unsafe storage and disposal of the cadaver.
A spacefaring Americana exploring Saturn's satellites, an ancient Roman festival, and a herd of wild capybaras.

Voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 and 2020 Primaries | Biden & Baldwin 2020 | Enjoying the representation of Senator Doug Jones while it lasts
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
- Roy Batty (Blade Runner 1982)

Outboundstagnate
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Fatal flaws

Postby Outboundstagnate » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:07 am

1b. A "test animal" as a sentient but not sapient animal in the custody of any research facility for scientific purposes

Assumes citizens are sapiens and excludes sapient animals such as orangutans that have legitimate testing purposes.

1c. "Ethical testing", and all derived terms, as testing carried out on an animal in a way that is not maliciously intended to cause severe distress or harm to the animal;

Does not define severe.

2. Establishes the World Assembly Board of Bioethics (WABB), which will be tasked with the following:

2a. Overseeing scientific experimentation in member states to ensure animal testing is being carried out ethically and in accordance with all relevant WA law;

Adds bureaucracy.

3. Dictates that member states must reasonably and proportionally penalise research labs upon receiving a report about unethical testing from the WABB;

Does not define reasonable.

4a. Report all procedures carried out on animals, and euthanisations in their custody to the WABB;

More bureaucracy.

5a. The animal is returned to the wild if it was captured from the wild, has a good chance of being returned to its natural habitat successfully, and if it poses no risk to the environment it is being released into, such as carrying diseases; or;

Re-introducing experimented animals into the wild could have consequences.

7. Prohibits the intentional killing of a test animal in a cruel manner, in addition to forbidding the killing of a former test animal before the viability of its adoption or release into the wild has been examined, and it has been found unsuitable for both.

Forbids intentionally killing animals which severely limits research into the toxicology of substances.

This is fatally flawed. It does too much in one are and too little in another area.
Last edited by Outboundstagnate on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives