NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Freedom To Farm

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Freedom To Farm

Postby San Carlos Islands » Thu May 30, 2019 9:40 am

Freedom To Farm
Category: Advancement of Industry | Area of Effect: Tort Reform | Proposed by: San Carlos Islands

Believing firmly in the right to farm and defending the food security of all nations.

Asserting, therefore, the preservation of a maximum amount of agricultural land is necessary for the assurance of adequate amounts of healthful, and nutritious food.

Concerned that expansion of urban development in rural areas has created legal conflicts between agricultural and urban activities.

Realizing that many of these legal conflicts are merely nuisance lawsuits.

Distressed that these nuisance lawsuits have pushed many farmers out of business due to expensive legal costs.

Asserting, therefore, this loss of agricultural land is a threat not only to the rights, lives, and well being farmers; but also global food security.

Hereby:

1. Defines, for the sake of this resolution, "nuisance lawsuit" as lawsuits wherein the plaintiff claims that the defendant is causing a nuisance. When focusing on agriculture nuisances may include noise, odors, visual clutter and dangerous structures.

2. Defines, for the sake of this resolution, "accepted and standard agricultural practices " as those agricultural practices that don't pose a substantial, adverse effect on the public health, safety, or welfare; be it intentional or negligent.

3. Prohibits nuisance lawsuits against those engaging in agricultural activities who use accepted and standard agricultural practices that have been in prior operation.

First GA Resolution! Hope everything is in order.
Last edited by Ransium on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Foreign Affairs Director for the League of Conservative Nations

WA Ambassador: Trinity Ryan
WA Information: wa.mission.gov.sci

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 am

"At first glance, this seems to be perfectly legal. However, I must say that your preambulatory clauses don't necessarily reflect your operative clauses, as far as I can tell. The preamble seems to suggest that the proposal will create legislation in order to prohibit urbanization, in order to preserve agricultural districts. While a prohibition on nuisance lawsuits may somewhat contribute towards this, it is, overall, somewhat ineffective and doesn't actually do anything."

"Overall, I simply can't see a reason for the proposal, as is."

OOC: Welcome to the GA :)
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu May 30, 2019 10:37 am

“I believe you are missing a word or two in clause 2, as it currently doesn’t read very well and I’m having trouble working out what it is supposed to mean.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby San Carlos Islands » Thu May 30, 2019 10:49 am

Kenmoria wrote:“I believe you are missing a word or two in clause 2, as it currently doesn’t read very well and I’m having trouble working out what it is supposed to mean.”

Fixed ;)

Morover wrote:"At first glance, this seems to be perfectly legal. However, I must say that your preambulatory clauses don't necessarily reflect your operative clauses, as far as I can tell. The preamble seems to suggest that the proposal will create legislation in order to prohibit urbanization, in order to preserve agricultural districts. While a prohibition on nuisance lawsuits may somewhat contribute towards this, it is, overall, somewhat ineffective and doesn't actually do anything."

Do you have any suggestions regarding how to address this? What I'm trying to imply is not that this will prohibit urbanization, but urbanization inherently creates legal conflict between farming and urban activity, leading to the farmers being pushed of their land due to not affording the legal costs because of these nuisance lawsuits.

San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby San Carlos Islands » Thu May 30, 2019 2:00 pm

Morover wrote:"At first glance, this seems to be perfectly legal. However, I must say that your preambulatory clauses don't necessarily reflect your operative clauses, as far as I can tell. The preamble seems to suggest that the proposal will create legislation in order to prohibit urbanization, in order to preserve agricultural districts. While a prohibition on nuisance lawsuits may somewhat contribute towards this, it is, overall, somewhat ineffective and doesn't actually do anything."

Okay. I changed some things up and I think I've addressed this.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu May 30, 2019 2:42 pm

“I don’t see the need to define ‘agricultural activities’, as it is a common word being used in its usual sense. However, due to the potential of ambiguity, defining a ‘nuisance lawsuit’ could be useful.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu May 30, 2019 3:51 pm

San Carlos Islands wrote:

Freedom To Farm
Category: Advancement of Industry | Area of Effect: Tort Reform | Proposed by: San Carlos Islands

Believing firmly in the right to farm and defending the food security of all nations.

Asserting, therefore, the preservation of a maximum amount of agricultural land is necessary for the assurance of adequate amounts of healthful, and nutritious food.

Concerned that expansion of urban development in rural areas has created legal conflicts between agricultural and urban activities.

Realizing that many of these legal conflicts are merely nuisance lawsuits.

Distressed that these nuisance lawsuits have pushed many farmers out of business due to expensive legal costs.

Asserting, therefore, this loss of agricultural land is a threat not only to the rights, lives, and well being farmers; but also global food security.

Hereby:

1. Defines, for the sake of this resolution, "agricultural activities" are farming, ranching, algaculture, aquaculture, apiculture, horticulture, viticulture, poultry farming, dairy production, the production of field crops, timber, pasturage, and any combination of the foregoing, processing, drying, storage, and marketing of agricultural products when those activities are conducted in conjunction with, but are secondary to, such husbandry or production.

2. Defines, for the sake of this resolution, "accepted and standard agricultural practices " as those agricultural practices that pose a substantial, adverse effect on the public health, safety, or welfare; be it intentional or negligent.

3. Prohibits nuisance lawsuits against those engaging in agricultural activities who use accepted and standard agricultural practices that have been in prior operation.

First GA Resolution! Hope everything is in order.

[/quote]
"Nuisance lawsuits are based on the allegation of and procurement of proof that the defendant, the farmer, in this case, is engaged in actions that devalue the plaintiff's use or enjoyment of their own property. Painting such suits as mere attacks on farming is silly.

"Further, banning classes of tort causes of action based on land use entirely places other land owners at a financial disadvantage based solely on use. This would provide malicious property owners the chance to harm neighbors' land use without recourse. Opposed."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby San Carlos Islands » Thu May 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“I don’t see the need to define ‘agricultural activities’, as it is a common word being used in its usual sense. However, due to the potential of ambiguity, defining a ‘nuisance lawsuit’ could be useful.”

Addressed.
Last edited by San Carlos Islands on Thu May 30, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby San Carlos Islands » Thu May 30, 2019 4:35 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“I don’t see the need to define ‘agricultural activities’, as it is a common word being used in its usual sense. However, due to the potential of ambiguity, defining a ‘nuisance lawsuit’ could be useful.”

Addressed.
Separatist Peoples wrote:

"Nuisance lawsuits are based on the allegation of and procurement of proof that the defendant, the farmer, in this case, is engaged in actions that devalue the plaintiff's use or enjoyment of their own property. Painting such suits as mere attacks on farming is silly.

"Further, banning classes of tort causes of action based on land use entirely places other land owners at a financial disadvantage based solely on use. This would provide malicious property owners the chance to harm neighbors' land use without recourse. Opposed."

I disagree, here's why.

1. This is illogical because urbanization encroaches on agriculture, not vice versa. The farmer was there first and has been engaging is his normal everyday practices for generations, the Resolution even specifies that it's practices been in prior operation cannot have a lawsuit brought against them. If these practices devalue someone's property, they shouldn't of built/moved there.

And because of this prior operation clause, they could sue for new practices.

2. OOC: RL These laws have been implemented successfully in every state in the US without real issue.

Furthermore; no, this resolution doesn't provide malicious property owners the chance to harm neighbors' land use without recourse because accepted and standard agricultural practices " are defined as those agricultural practices that don't pose a substantial, adverse effect on the public health, safety, or welfare; be it intentional or negligent.
Last edited by San Carlos Islands on Thu May 30, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu May 30, 2019 4:57 pm

San Carlos Islands wrote:I disagree, here's why.

1. This is illogical because urbanization encroaches on agriculture, not vice versa. The farmer was there first and has been engaging is his normal everyday practices for generations, the Resolution even specifies that it's practices been in prior operation cannot have a lawsuit brought against them. If these practices devalue someone's property, they shouldn't of built/moved there.

"If the premise of litigation is that a particular use deprives another of lawful use of their property, who was there first isn't a factor. Especially since a hallmark of a private nuisance tort is a balancing of interests. If a farm is acting in a way that deprives neighbors of their enjoyment of their property, and they can accomplish the same use with an alternative, then there is no issue.

"As for the costs of litigation, well, litigation costs money. If you cannot afford litigation, settle. If your farmers cannot afford litigation and cannot settle, create an assistance fund or pro bono program rather than undermine a valid cause of action."

And because of this prior operation clause, they could sue for new practices.

"That was never not an option, as I understand it."

2. OOC: RL These laws have been implemented successfully in every state in the US without real issue.

OOC: Sure, certain homestead laws protect growing certain crops out of particular zones, but the private nuisance tort still exists for ancillary land use like fertilization in many, if not most, states.
And, for the record, in the US, coming to the nuisance at common law is not a defense.

Furthermore; no, this resolution doesn't provide malicious property owners the chance to harm neighbors' land use without recourse because accepted and standard agricultural practices " are defined as those agricultural practices that don't pose a substantial, adverse effect on the public health, safety, or welfare; be it intentional or negligent.

OOC: Accepted and standard agricultural practices can still be a private harm, even if they are not public harms. A great example of a private nuisance that a farm may cause without violating public health, safety, or welfare protections include odors from livestock or fertilizer, consistent noise early in the morning, or, if you want to get into public nuisance, routinely blocking roads during certain operations. Cow crossings come to mind, actually.

This is not an unreasonable policy goal, but I think the methodology is less than ideal. I might instead think of a way to create an exception to certain zoning restrictions to allow small-scale agricultural processes. Zoning and land use restrictions are more pervasive than nuisance laws as a barrier to small scale agriculture in my experience.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu May 30, 2019 7:35 pm

OOC: Uh, if you don't mind me asking, why did you submit this? You've gotten feedback from very few people, and it hasn't even been up for a day. I get being overeager (I was at first, too, and still am, to an extent) but this was a bit fast. While I applaud you for making a drafting thread beforehand, the drafting thread needs to be up for a bit to really get the full effect of it.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri May 31, 2019 12:17 am

"There is not and has not been a universal right for a private citizen to own land. Thus there cannot be a universal right to farm wherever the hell you want. Or whatever you want, however you want. Furthermore, small scale agriculture is not and indeed cannot be free of the already existing WA resolutions, and ignorance and negligence are not viable defenses."
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:50 am

It is well established in many common law jurisdictions that coming to a nuisance is no defence to actions ad nocumentum or quod permittat prosternere. This resolution will too greatly affect the right to the free and unencroached enjoyment of land and property.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby San Carlos Islands » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:52 am

Great Nortend wrote:It is well established in many common law jurisdictions that coming to a nuisance is no defence to actions ad nocumentum or quod permittat prosternere. This resolution will too greatly affect the right to the free and unencroached enjoyment of land and property.

What about the right to free use of land and property?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:53 am

Great Nortend wrote:It is well established in many common law jurisdictions that coming to a nuisance is no defence to actions ad nocumentum or quod permittat prosternere. This resolution will too greatly affect the right to the free and unencroached enjoyment of land and property.

What about the right to free use of land and property?

"That right is rarely unlimited. Which is why zoning laws are so pervasive."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:09 am

(OOC: As you have submitted this, the tag ought to be [SUBMITTED] not [DRAFT]. However, I recommend for you to withdraw your proposal, because it was drafted for a far shorter time than was necessary.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Palsada
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Palsada » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: As you have submitted this, the tag ought to be [SUBMITTED] not [DRAFT]. However, I recommend for you to withdraw your proposal, because it was drafted for a far shorter time than was necessary.)

Well, let's see if the drafting process is even necessary.

If it passes, I dare say no.

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:15 pm

Palsada wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: As you have submitted this, the tag ought to be [SUBMITTED] not [DRAFT]. However, I recommend for you to withdraw your proposal, because it was drafted for a far shorter time than was necessary.)

The drafting process is very much necessary and I'm more than certain this won't pass.

The truth is, anything with a nice-sounding title and a decently-written TG campaign can get to vote. But that's where they'll fail if not drafted properly.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:48 am

Palsada wrote:

(OOC: This most likely won’t pass. If it does, then all that will have been achieved is putting legislation not up to the usual standard on the books. Although this will create a nice shiny badge for the author, it will also lead to a swift repeal and possible replace. That said, I don’t think this will pass.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:55 am

"I am appalled by your decision to submit this extremely early and have decided to vote AGAINST."
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:04 am

"The Confederate Republic supports this proposal as agriculture is one of our key industries.
WA Ambassador Michael Delcroix
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Republica JIM
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica JIM » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:16 am

I vote against this proposal.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:06 am

American Pere Housh wrote:"The Confederate Republic supports this proposal as agriculture is one of our key industries.
WA Ambassador Michael Delcroix

"That makes no sense, ambassador. If it is one of your key industries, you could impose such laws on your own. If it isn't our key industries, we have no need for such a law. Supporting a law that forces us to expand agricultural protections for competition against your key industry. Do you even think about your arguments before you make them, ambassador?"
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:42 am

“When I first looked at the proposal, I thought you were referring to ‘nuisance lawsuits’ as lawsuits designed solely for the purpose of causing a nuisance to the owners of the agricultural land, and lacking actual basis in law. Now, I see that you are targeting lawsuits on the basis of nuisances, which are far more nuanced and, at least in Kenmoria, acceptable. Therefore, I declare my vote AGAINST this proposal.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:55 am

Freedom To Farm

This proposal came to vote under the title "Right To Farm." Grudgingly in favour.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives