NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Protecting Personal Privacy

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:12 pm

“Also, the ‘noting’ clause comes off as a little patronising, seeing as it implies that children are unable to make any decisions whatsoever without the help of a guardian. I suggest putting in something about them not being able to comprehend possible risks of significant decisions, rather than just decisions in general.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:15 pm

I have some problems with this, namely that I believe that personal data should only be viewable by governments with a search warrant, and in no other circumstances whatsoever, unless the person whose data is being used consents.

Despite the ridiculous 'safety' measures that certain nations insist on burdening their younger members with, I do not object as they are not applicable to the Haven, a nation without an age of majority.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:23 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Also, the ‘noting’ clause comes off as a little patronising, seeing as it implies that children are unable to make any decisions whatsoever without the help of a guardian. I suggest putting in something about them not being able to comprehend possible risks of significant decisions, rather than just decisions in general.”

"Addressed."

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I have some problems with this, namely that I believe that personal data should only be viewable by governments with a search warrant, and in no other circumstances whatsoever, unless the person whose data is being used consents.

Despite the ridiculous 'safety' measures that certain nations insist on burdening their younger members with, I do not object as they are not applicable to the Haven, a nation without an age of majority.

OOC: The original repealed resolution only allowed governments to view data with a search warrant, however, some delegacies found it troubling, I have put up a poll to decide on that issue.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:05 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“Also, the ‘noting’ clause comes off as a little patronising, seeing as it implies that children are unable to make any decisions whatsoever without the help of a guardian. I suggest putting in something about them not being able to comprehend possible risks of significant decisions, rather than just decisions in general.”

"Addressed."

"I would suggest a further change into "most minors", since there are many minors who do have full comprehension of the risks involved, and also many people above the age of majority who do not..."
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:13 am

“In clause 1c, it should be ‘exists’ not ‘exist’, since you are using ‘none’ in reference to a singular ‘guardian’.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:16 am

Kenmoria wrote:“In clause 1c, it should be ‘exists’ not ‘exist’, since you are using ‘none’ in reference to a singular ‘guardian’.”

OOC:Done.

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:56 pm

“There is no need for the word ‘aforementioned’ in clause 3b, since you can just leave it out and make the clause more clear.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Wed May 01, 2019 3:08 pm

"Minor changes have been made to this proposal, we are planning to submit this on Friday if there are no major issues."

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Thu May 02, 2019 6:25 am

There remain many issues with this, a number of which have already been pointed out to you.

You're now treating data regarding minors differently depending on whether or not the minor involved is adolescent without offering any legally workable definition of adolescence. Imagine some of the bizarre situations that could arise in a court charged with ruling without further guidance on whether or not an individual is an adolescent.

The clause preventing a business using personal data to cause harm or distress is a big problem. It basically bans secured mortgage lending since repossessing someone's home is a pretty clear cut case of causing them harm and distress. More generally it makes businesses liable for harm and distress they couldn't reasonably be expected to anticipate. At a minimum this needs something about the harm caused being intentional and malicious.

The proposal also bans CCTV since this is by definition the collection without explicit consent of data that can be used to identify someone - what they look like.

In 3d it's not at all clear how "transactions" constitutes a safety or disciplinary reason to remove data. I think you're probably aiming to exclude the possibility of people instructing their credit card company to delete records of their debts but the language is very vague.

5 is odd - if the whole effect of the proposal is to require governments to prohibit data abuse why is it necessary for there also to be a right of private action? An offence would generally be either civil or criminal but this seems to make it both.

6 is very odd - surely the proposal should enact the strength of measures it wants to instead of declaring its own inadequacy by urging governments to be stricter.

Marxist Germany wrote:Prohibits... Businesses from receiving or viewing data obtained from secondary sources if the source hasn't met the boundaries established within this resolution;

This doesn't satisfactorily close the subsidiary company loophole because "meeting the boundaries established within this resolution" is vague to the point of being meaningless. I think you mean to prohibit the use of data held by an entity that would not, if it were a business, be compliant with the requirements of the resolution. If that is what you mean then it would certainly be an improvement to clearly say so.

I'm still curious as to why you're sufficiently concerned about data abuse to pursue this resolution but so resistant to extending its provisions to political parties, fund raising scams, religious groups, credit unions, mutual building societies and all the many varieties of organisations that have the potential to abuse personal data without meeting your definition of a business.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu May 02, 2019 8:39 am

“In 3a, who is ‘them’? And what sort of changes require notification? Would altering the staffing of one person in finances, or a change from a semicolon to a full stop in the terms and conditions somewhere, require notification?”
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu May 02, 2019 9:23 am

"Submission has been postponed."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri May 03, 2019 10:46 am

“1c seems extremely vague. Every child is developing into an adult, and may continue to develop until after the age of majority is reached.’
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri May 03, 2019 10:48 am

Kenmoria wrote:“1c seems extremely vague. Every child is developing into an adult, and may continue to develop until after the age of majority is reached.’

"What do you suggest, Mr Ambassador?"

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri May 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“1c seems extremely vague. Every child is developing into an adult, and may continue to develop until after the age of majority is reached.’

"What do you suggest, Mr Ambassador?"

“I would suggest just leaving out the definition of adolescence. The only clause it’s in is 2a, which will be ambiguous either way. How about ‘a minor able to mostly comprehend risks and dangers to an adult’? This isn’t perfect, but it is at least more defined.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri May 03, 2019 2:55 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:"What do you suggest, Mr Ambassador?"

“I would suggest just leaving out the definition of adolescence. The only clause it’s in is 2a, which will be ambiguous either way. How about ‘a minor able to mostly comprehend risks and dangers to an adult’? This isn’t perfect, but it is at least more defined.”

"Thank you for the suggestion ambassador, may I ask you if you want to be listed as a Co-author since you have contributed a lot to this proposal and the previous one?"

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri May 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Uan aa Boa wrote:5 is odd - if the whole effect of the proposal is to require governments to prohibit data abuse why is it necessary for there also to be a right of private action? An offence would generally be either civil or criminal but this seems to make it both.

OOC:All issues have been addressed to some extent except for this, I was told by a lawyer to add private rights of action to that clause, is there any reason as to why I shouldn't keep it?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat May 04, 2019 5:21 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Uan aa Boa wrote:5 is odd - if the whole effect of the proposal is to require governments to prohibit data abuse why is it necessary for there also to be a right of private action? An offence would generally be either civil or criminal but this seems to make it both.

OOC:All issues have been addressed to some extent except for this, I was told by a lawyer to add private rights of action to that clause, is there any reason as to why I shouldn't keep it?

(OOC: I recommend keeping it. A private right of action is a circumstance where a court decides that a party may bring a lawsuit against another party for violation of a law, even if there is no explicit mention of this in that law.

Demanding a private right of action means that a nation can’t simply say ‘it’s against, but there is no penalty’, and not allow recompense for victims of data abuse. Having the clause in there will be pointless for a lot of reasonable nations, but there’s nothing wrong with having it. I am, however, not a lawyer, so there’s a chance this could be wrong.)

Marxist Germany wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“I would suggest just leaving out the definition of adolescence. The only clause it’s in is 2a, which will be ambiguous either way. How about ‘a minor able to mostly comprehend risks and dangers to an adult’? This isn’t perfect, but it is at least more defined.”

"Thank you for the suggestion ambassador, may I ask you if you want to be listed as a Co-author since you have contributed a lot to this proposal and the previous one?"

(OOC: If you want to, I have no objections to being listed as a co-author. If I am put as one, I’ll TG you with some more detailed feedback on the proposal later.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu May 09, 2019 1:09 pm

"Last call for any issues, otherwise submission will be tomorrow."

Maowi
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Thu May 09, 2019 2:50 pm

OOC:
Marxist Germany wrote:Appalled by the lack of legislation regarding the ability of businesses to collect data from it's customers without consent;

For this meaning, 'it's' should be 'its', but really, you want 'their' because it is 'businesses' in the plural.

A "Guardian" as any legal guardian of a minor, or if none exists, the biological parent;

I would suggest 'a biological parent' rather than 'the biological parent', as that seems to imply the presence of only one biological parent.

Businesses from storing the personal data of any non adolescent minor without the explicit consent of their guardian except when the guardian cannot be contacted or it will not be in the best interests of the minor to do so;

This clause makes me anxious. Who decides what constitutes being an adolescent minor? Perhaps you could add, to the definition of 'adolescent', something like 'as defined by the member nation's government'? Also, grammatically, change 'it will not be' to 'it is not'.

Businesses from receiving or viewing data obtained from secondary sources that would otherwise, if it were a business, be noncompliant with the requirements of this resolution;

You have a discrepancy again between singular and plural. I'd simply change 'if it were a business' to 'if businesses', and scrap the 'otherwise' as redundant..

Governments of member states from viewing the data of a user without the explicit prior consent from both the business holding the data and the user that the data belongs to, except when the information is needed for a criminal investigation, court case or a search warrant has been issued;

Slightly more elegant English to replace 'that the data belongs to' with 'to which the data belong' (data is a plural noun). Also, your list of three things after 'except when the information is needed for' doesn't make sense grammatically. It reads as 'except when the information is needed for...a search warrant has been issued'. You should probably change it to 'except when the information is needed for a criminal investigation or a court case, or when a search warrant has been issued'.

I'm sorry I don't have the energy to go through it properly except for grammar-wise, IRL has been a bit hectic recently.
THE SUPINE SOCIALIST SLOTHLAND OF MAOWI

hi!LETHARGY ⭐️ LANGUOR ⭐️ LAZINESShi!

Home | Guide for Visitors | Religion | Fashion

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri May 10, 2019 8:13 am

This clause makes me anxious. Who decides what constitutes being an adolescent minor? Perhaps you could add, to the definition of 'adolescent', something like 'as defined by the member nation's government'? Also, grammatically, change 'it will not be' to 'it is not'.

OOC:That is in fact defined.

Otherwise, I've changed everything else, thanks.

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Fri May 10, 2019 8:35 am

So a company can keep data on a child, but only if that child "can mostly comprehend dangers and risks to themself." How is a company that's doing its best to comply supposed to assess that? Send a psychologist round? Have a questionnaire on the sign-up page that measures the danger comprehension skills of someone trying to register? Or what?

Maowi
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Fri May 10, 2019 9:13 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:So a company can keep data on a child, but only if that child "can mostly comprehend dangers and risks to themself." How is a company that's doing its best to comply supposed to assess that? Send a psychologist round? Have a questionnaire on the sign-up page that measures the danger comprehension skills of someone trying to register? Or what?

OOC: This is what I was getting at. I know you've defined 'adolescent', but it's hardly an objective measure. This is why I was suggesting that a member nation's government should decide what age limit constitutes adolescence as defined in your proposal, not the businesses themselves.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri May 10, 2019 12:36 pm

OOC:Fixed

Maowi
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Fri May 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:OOC:Fixed

OOC: Eh, I don't think so. In my opinion you should still specify at least a general guideline as to what constitutes adolescence, like you had before, but state that the precise age boundary is to be set by the government. The way you have it now, you could have an 'adolescent' being defined as a cupcake. Don't know why that would be desirable, but you get my point, I hope.

Battlion
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Battlion » Fri May 10, 2019 10:53 pm

So not sure about this, but would an organisation that children facing abuse can reach out to be covered by this? Because, in effect, the way I read it at the moment those kind of organisations wouldn’t be able to keep data from anyone reaching out until there’s criminal proceedings/search warrants.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives