NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Protecting Personal Data

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:39 am

OOC
Now _
Approvals: 61 (Dunmoyle, Hatzisland, Kolkatta, United Western State, White Bluff, Freedonianism, Nonadia, Pantseria, Simbolon, Ualoi, Jocospor, Hfhbsd, Greater Germany, Independant Canada, New Mexican Republics, Libonesia, Karteria, Vordia, Merni, Dragons of Power, Arrstotzka, German Byzantium, Refuge Isle, Toopaka, Alistia, Leskya, Ellenburg, New Zacharianasville, Flopdania, The Tomerlands, Stoner Anime Gang, Dragoonite, The Montonian, Grand-Turinia, The Chicago Economic States, Funky Goats, The Jazz Masters, Gay Elysium, Bruhhhhhhhhhhh, Republic Of Sumpra, Boku no Pica, Arpad, Greater Slavicland, Astrum Nigrum, Faniviace, Peoples Republic of California, Vampz, ScottishCanadia, Iciaros, Vampirism, Ryhnn, Pius Desurongcrandis, Fearsburg, Standardized Tests, Mombombu, Stolkland, Amerigaia, Chin chin, Isle of Xay, The Eireann WA Delegation, Woods Is Back)

10 hours to go.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:05 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC
Needs 13 more approvals in 13 hours.
Currently _
Approvals: 58 (Dunmoyle, Hatzisland, Kolkatta, United Western State, White Bluff, Freedonianism, Nonadia, Pantseria, Simbolon, Ualoi, Jocospor, Hfhbsd, Greater Germany, Independant Canada, New Mexican Republics, Libonesia, Karteria, Vordia, Merni, Dragons of Power, Arrstotzka, German Byzantium, Refuge Isle, Toopaka, Alistia, Leskya, Ellenburg, New Zacharianasville, Flopdania, The Tomerlands, Stoner Anime Gang, Dragoonite, The Montonian, Grand-Turinia, The Chicago Economic States, Funky Goats, The Jazz Masters, Gay Elysium, Bruhhhhhhhhhhh, Republic Of Sumpra, Ashrstan, Boku no Pica, Arpad, Greater Slavicland, Astrum Nigrum, Faniviace, Peoples Republic of California, Vampz, ScottishCanadia, Iciaros, Vampirism, Ryhnn, Pius Desurongcrandis, Fearsburg, Standardized Tests, Mombombu, Stolkland, Amerigaia).

21 in 10 hours, just need to send out more campaign TGs and this should hopefully make it, otherwise I will be postponing the submission for at least a month

(OOC: I hope it does. I believe that, if this reaches quorum, it should be able to pass. It’s just the first hurdle that is causing difficulty.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:31 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:21 in 10 hours, just need to send out more campaign TGs and this should hopefully make it, otherwise I will be postponing the submission for at least a month

(OOC: I hope it does. I believe that, if this reaches quorum, it should be able to pass. It’s just the first hurdle that is causing difficulty.)

OOC: Yeah, I think as well
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:32 pm

Now _
Approvals: 61 (Dunmoyle, Hatzisland, Kolkatta, United Western State, White Bluff, Freedonianism, Nonadia, Pantseria, Simbolon, Ualoi, Jocospor, Hfhbsd, Greater Germany, Independant Canada, New Mexican Republics, Libonesia, Karteria, Vordia, Merni, Dragons of Power, Arrstotzka, German Byzantium, Refuge Isle, Toopaka, Alistia, Leskya, Ellenburg, New Zacharianasville, Flopdania, The Tomerlands, Stoner Anime Gang, Dragoonite, The Montonian, Grand-Turinia, The Chicago Economic States, Funky Goats, The Jazz Masters, Gay Elysium, Bruhhhhhhhhhhh, Republic Of Sumpra, Boku no Pica, Arpad, Greater Slavicland, Astrum Nigrum, Faniviace, Peoples Republic of California, Vampz, ScottishCanadia, Iciaros, Vampirism, Ryhnn, Pius Desurongcrandis, Fearsburg, Standardized Tests, Mombombu, Stolkland, Amerigaia, Chin chin, Isle of Xay, The Eireann WA Delegation, Woods Is Back)

10 hours to go.

It's going to be real close. I think it will easily pass if it reaches enough approvals, it just needs to get them. Let's hope it does.

Edit: 9 more in 5 hours! Let's finish this!
Last edited by Hatzisland on Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Borovan entered the region as he
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Borovan entered the region as he » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:15 pm

Hatzisland wrote:
Now _

10 hours to go.

It's going to be real close. I think it will easily pass if it reaches enough approvals, it just needs to get them. Let's hope it does.

Edit: 9 more in 5 hours! Let's finish this!

13 minutes ago: The General Assembly proposal "Protecting Personal Data" [Marxist Germany] failed to achieve quorum.
64 minutes ago: Sorovo approved the World Assembly proposal "Protecting Personal Data".

Short six approvals

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:18 pm

(OOC: Aww. Well, now that we're here, what's next? What does Marxist Germany have to do before they can submit this again, if at all?)
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 pm

Iciaros wrote:(OOC: Aww. Well, now that we're here, what's next? What does Marxist Germany have to do before they can submit this again, if at all?)

OOC: Given that it was presumably legal, nothing.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:20 am

Iciaros wrote:(OOC: Aww. Well, now that we're here, what's next? What does Marxist Germany have to do before they can submit this again, if at all?)

"We'll wait 2 weeks before next submission"

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:35 am

“In 2a, ‘or it would be impractical to do so’. Although, in the age of the internet, it is possible for most companies to trace the ages of people taking part in anonymous surveys, that probably shouldn’t be encouraged.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:19 am

Marxist Germany wrote:

"We'll wait 2 weeks before next submission"

You should definitely stick with this. This has the support, and will pass if you keep trying.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Kranostav
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kranostav » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:32 am

Spam submitting isn't appreciated. And honestly the proposal doesn't adequately address the issue at all. It seems to not understand how warrants work and greatly harms the ability for the government to collect data for reasons beyond criminal investigations.
Non-compliance is lame and you should feel bad
The meddling WA Kid of Kranostav
Author of GAR #423 and #460

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:42 am

Kranostav wrote:Spam submitting isn't appreciated. And honestly the proposal doesn't adequately address the issue at all. It seems to not understand how warrants work and greatly harms the ability for the government to collect data for reasons beyond criminal investigations.

(OOC: My understanding of the draft (clause 2c specifically) is that the ability for governments to collect information is not really impaired unless they are going through businesses to do it? So they should still be fine collecting info through national surveys and censuses (censi?) and such so long as they don't go through businesses to do it. Though, now that I'm looking at it again, I wonder what the potential impact of 3c is on government retention of information - I can imagine both a very restrictive effect and a very liberal one depending on how one interprets the word 'purpose'.)
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 pm

Kranostav wrote:Spam submitting isn't appreciated. And honestly the proposal doesn't adequately address the issue at all. It seems to not understand how warrants work and greatly harms the ability for the government to collect data for reasons beyond criminal investigations.

OOC:
1) As I said, I'm not submitting this for a while
2) How doesn't it address the issue adequately?
3) Changed warrant to search warrant
4) Why would a government want to collect data from its citizens through a business other than for criminal investigations?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:15 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:4) Why would a government want to collect data from its citizens through a business other than for criminal investigations?

"For all the reasons businesses want it. Data allows efficient analysis of trends and needs, and allows predictive patterns. Theoretically, states have an interest in monitoring data to determine something as mundane as the length of red lights during peak transit hours based on population concentration and public preference for route."

OOC: there absolutely is a disconnect between at least US law regarding warrants and private data. I cannot speak to other jurisdictions because I've no experience with their law, so don't think I'm trying to argue that US law is the only law worth modeling, but that disconnect raised eyebrows. This is a nuanced area of the law that is even now unfolding, but the proposal deals with the entirety of government use of data in criminal proceedings with one, relatively ungraceful swoop.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:50 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:4) Why would a government want to collect data from its citizens through a business other than for criminal investigations?

"For all the reasons businesses want it. Data allows efficient analysis of trends and needs, and allows predictive patterns. Theoretically, states have an interest in monitoring data to determine something as mundane as the length of red lights during peak transit hours based on population concentration and public preference for route."

OOC: there absolutely is a disconnect between at least US law regarding warrants and private data. I cannot speak to other jurisdictions because I've no experience with their law, so don't think I'm trying to argue that US law is the only law worth modeling, but that disconnect raised eyebrows. This is a nuanced area of the law that is even now unfolding, but the proposal deals with the entirety of government use of data in criminal proceedings with one, relatively ungraceful swoop.

OOC:Can you recognise someone by the amount of time they waited at a red light? If the answer is no then this isn't covered by the proposal
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"For all the reasons businesses want it. Data allows efficient analysis of trends and needs, and allows predictive patterns. Theoretically, states have an interest in monitoring data to determine something as mundane as the length of red lights during peak transit hours based on population concentration and public preference for route."

OOC:Can you recognise someone by the amount of time they waited at a red light? If the answer is no then this isn't covered by the proposal

(OOC: Perhaps you should add something in your definition of ‘personal data’ to clarify that the data must be able to identify a sapient by itself. If, for example, there were two identical twins with the same name who waited at a traffic light for different times, that data could be used to identify them.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:OOC:Can you recognise someone by the amount of time they waited at a red light? If the answer is no then this isn't covered by the proposal

(OOC: Perhaps you should add something in your definition of ‘personal data’ to clarify that the data must be able to identify a sapient by itself. If, for example, there were two identical twins with the same name who waited at a traffic light for different times, that data could be used to identify them.)

OOC: Fixed

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:39 am

Kenmoria wrote:“In 2a, ‘or it would be impractical to do so’. Although, in the age of the internet, it is possible for most companies to trace the ages of people taking part in anonymous surveys, that probably shouldn’t be encouraged.”

"Can you elaborate more on that please"

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:57 am

OOC: Minor wording issue I noticed in the definitions, "A "Guardian" as any legal parent of a minor, or if none, the biological parent;" I think you meant "as any legal guardian" instead of "any legal parent", since an orphaned ward of the state living in an orphaned children's facility wouldn't have parents, biological or otherwise, but would have legal guardian(s).
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:57 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Minor wording issue I noticed in the definitions, "A "Guardian" as any legal parent of a minor, or if none, the biological parent;" I think you meant "as any legal guardian" instead of "any legal parent", since an orphaned ward of the state living in an orphaned children's facility wouldn't have parents, biological or otherwise, but would have legal guardian(s).

OOC:Using the word being defined in the definition should be avoided; nevertheless I'll do it.

Maowi
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:59 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Minor wording issue I noticed in the definitions, "A "Guardian" as any legal parent of a minor, or if none, the biological parent;" I think you meant "as any legal guardian" instead of "any legal parent", since an orphaned ward of the state living in an orphaned children's facility wouldn't have parents, biological or otherwise, but would have legal guardian(s).

OOC:Using the word being defined in the definition should be avoided; nevertheless I'll do it.

OOC: 'Guardian' is a commonly known English word with an accepted definition, so it's perfectly fine to use it in your definition. All you're doing with your definition is just show who would be affected by your proposal, not explain the meaning of a word to someone who has no idea what it means.
THE SUPINE SOCIALIST SLOTHLAND OF MAOWI

hi!LETHARGY ⭐️ LANGUOR ⭐️ LAZINESShi!

Home | Guide for Visitors | Religion | Fashion

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 am

Maowi wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:OOC:Using the word being defined in the definition should be avoided; nevertheless I'll do it.

OOC: 'Guardian' is a commonly known English word with an accepted definition, so it's perfectly fine to use it in your definition. All you're doing with your definition is just show who would be affected by your proposal, not explain the meaning of a word to someone who has no idea what it means.

OOC:Alright

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:33 pm

“For Claude 3b, what about sensitive or confidential information? For example, care homes, which can be privatised, may keep sensitive information on children that would be best not revealed until the children are older. I suggest adding ‘unless release of the data would compromise the well-being of the user or others’.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:25 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“For Claude 3b, what about sensitive or confidential information? For example, care homes, which can be privatised, may keep sensitive information on children that would be best not revealed until the children are older. I suggest adding ‘unless release of the data would compromise the well-being of the user or others’.”

OOC: Done

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:38 am

“In 1b, I believe the clause would flow better were there to be added the word ‘exist’ after ‘none’.”
My pronouns are he/him.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives