NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Protecting Personal Data

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Why have you barred courts from assessing damages against businesses that abuse consumers under this proposal?"

"How did I do that Mr Secretary"
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Why have you barred courts from assessing damages against businesses that abuse consumers under this proposal?"

"How did I do that Mr Secretary"

"I'm not a secretary, I'm an ambassador. Clause 4:

Grants any person the right to press charges against a business/government that doesn't follow the boundaries established in this resolution in an appropriate domestic court and to receive appropriate equitable relief from that tribunal;

"Equitable remedies do not include damages. They are extraordinary remedies suited for extraordinary circumstances, and never have ever included damages. By listing one remedy, you preclude ththe other under the interpretive canon of exclusio unius est inclusio alterius. So, why have you done that?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:52 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:"How did I do that Mr Secretary"

"I'm not a secretary, I'm an ambassador. Clause 4:

Grants any person the right to press charges against a business/government that doesn't follow the boundaries established in this resolution in an appropriate domestic court and to receive appropriate equitable relief from that tribunal;

"Equitable remedies do not include damages. They are extraordinary remedies suited for extraordinary circumstances, and never have ever included damages. By listing one remedy, you preclude ththe other under the interpretive canon of exclusio unius est inclusio alterius. So, why have you done that?"

"That was unintended Mr Ambassador"

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:55 pm

"Is the solution to simply remove equitable relief?"

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"I'm not a secretary, I'm an ambassador. Clause 4:

et

"That was unintended Mr Ambassador"

"Oh, good. For a moment, I thought it was your intention to undermine national remedial theories in nations, ambassador. That it was entirely unintentional brings me great relief."

Marxist Germany wrote:"Is the solution to simply remove equitable relief?"

"Ideally, the solution is to consider what relief you wish to empower courts to hand down, and include them. I'd say the particulars are also up to you.

"Also, pressing charges implies a criminal action. Which does not include remedies, merely incarceration or punitive fines. Did you intend to remove such cases from the realm of civil law and empower solely the state to prosecute those cases?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:59 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:"That was unintended Mr Ambassador"

"Oh, good. For a moment, I thought it was your intention to undermine national remedial theories in nations, ambassador. That it was entirely unintentional brings me great relief."

Marxist Germany wrote:"Is the solution to simply remove equitable relief?"

"Ideally, the solution is to consider what relief you wish to empower courts to hand down, and include them. I'd say the particulars are also up to you.

"Also, pressing charges implies a criminal action. Which does not include remedies, merely incarceration or punitive fines. Did you intend to remove such cases from the realm of civil law and empower solely the state to prosecute those cases?"

"No Mr Ambassador, I'll change it to sue which should hopefully satisfy your needs, or just Holds businesses liable to trial if they violate the boundaries established within this resolution"
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Oh, good. For a moment, I thought it was your intention to undermine national remedial theories in nations, ambassador. That it was entirely unintentional brings me great relief."

"No Mr Ambassador, I'll change it to sue which should hopefully satisfy your needs, or just Holds businesses liable to trial if they violate the boundaries established within this resolution"

"I dont think "liable to trial" means...well, anything, ambassador. You want to create a right of private action. That said, you dont need to. The Administrative Compliance Act grants all individuals a right to a remedy for rights created implicitly or explicitly by WA resolution."

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:"No Mr Ambassador, I'll change it to sue which should hopefully satisfy your needs, or just Holds businesses liable to trial if they violate the boundaries established within this resolution"

"I dont think "liable to trial" means...well, anything, ambassador. You want to create a right of private action. That said, you dont need to. The Administrative Compliance Act grants all individuals a right to a remedy for rights created implicitly or explicitly by WA resolution."

"So i could simply remove that clause and leave it to that resolution, Ambassador?"

Kurmedistan
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurmedistan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Kurmedistan wrote:We like the draft as is, although we do worry about the potential for loopholes and workarounds. There should be a clear set of guidelines regarding the language used to indicate both data collection and the opt-out process. The opt-out process should also have reasonable rules in place, a certain time line for companies to get into compliance or provide records, for example.

There are a lot of technical aspects that will probably need to be sorted out, both on an individual nation scale and globally.

"We would love to know the exact technical aspects that should be sorted out"

OOC: This is a complex issue indeed, and I'm guessing you're basing this on current EU protections. A good article on it is located at https://www.troyhunt.com/these-cookie-w ... t-to-stop/ . Basically, the language should present users clear, valid information in a form that is easy to process, and the opt-out process should be transparent as well. I can see some companies making the process complex, such as needing a signed form of 50 papers mailed to them at a hard to find physical location... for each entry. There should be language in the bill attempting or recommending the streamlining of the process. Clear, effective communication.

Honestly, given the global nature of the internet and the effects per nation, we should probably have a few more resolutions regarding the safekeeping of information, suggestions to keep it accessible to a range of people... at least for matters that concern the global populace.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:13 pm

Kurmedistan wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:"We would love to know the exact technical aspects that should be sorted out"

OOC: This is a complex issue indeed, and I'm guessing you're basing this on current EU protections. A good article on it is located at https://www.troyhunt.com/these-cookie-w ... t-to-stop/ . Basically, the language should present users clear, valid information in a form that is easy to process, and the opt-out process should be transparent as well. I can see some companies making the process complex, such as needing a signed form of 50 papers mailed to them at a hard to find physical location... for each entry. There should be language in the bill attempting or recommending the streamlining of the process. Clear, effective communication.

Honestly, given the global nature of the internet and the effects per nation, we should probably have a few more resolutions regarding the safekeeping of information, suggestions to keep it accessible to a range of people... at least for matters that concern the global populace.

OOC: That is a good faith argument
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:25 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:

"So i could simply remove that clause and leave it to that resolution, Ambassador?"

"I think you would be better served requiring member states make a private right of action against businesses that illegally collect or use personal data and leave it at that. Since it is ambiguous if the ACA creates a cause of action against private entities. My instinct says no, so on reflection, err on that limited inclusion."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:"So i could simply remove that clause and leave it to that resolution, Ambassador?"

"I think you would be better served requiring member states make a private right of action against businesses that illegally collect or use personal data and leave it at that. Since it is ambiguous if the ACA creates a cause of action against private entities. My instinct says no, so on reflection, err on that limited inclusion."

" I did that Mr Ambassador"

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Also, pressing charges implies a criminal action. Which does not include remedies, merely incarceration or punitive fines. Did you intend to remove such cases from the realm of civil law and empower solely the state to prosecute those cases?"

ELSIE: Of course, I'll note on the side that the last part of that assessment is not necessarily the case. We, and many other jurisdictions, still have private prosecutions brought for criminal matters.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:00 am

Kurmedistan wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:"We would love to know the exact technical aspects that should be sorted out"

(OOC: Although that does make sense, it is no less ambiguous than the current wording. Requiring something to be a clear process leaves ambiguity on what ‘clear’ means. Needing an easy and simple wording leaves ambiguity as to what covers ‘easy and simple’. It is much easier to rely on member nations to enforce good-faith interpretations of law.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:12 am

"This has been submitted"

Newciv
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Newciv » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:11 am

(OOC: It looks as though this won't get nearly enough approvals to go to a vote. Are the regional representatives largely inactive, or is there just not a lot of support for this proposal? It seems like it is a perfectly reasonable proposal to be put to vote.)

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:32 am

Newciv wrote:(OOC: It looks as though this won't get nearly enough approvals to go to a vote. Are the regional representatives largely inactive, or is there just not a lot of support for this proposal? It seems like it is a perfectly reasonable proposal to be put to vote.)

OOC:It's very likely because it was submitted at the end of a weekend, i might have to use a telegram API to spread the news of this

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:50 pm

OOC: This might not reach quorum, so I'm accepting feedback for a redraft now

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:OOC: This might not reach quorum, so I'm accepting feedback for a redraft now

Well, your proposal was crowded with about 5 blatantly illegal proposals, so that probably contributed. Minor edits may be in order, but keep fighting for this.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Hatzisland wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:OOC: This might not reach quorum, so I'm accepting feedback for a redraft now

Well, your proposal was crowded with about 5 blatantly illegal proposals, so that probably contributed. Minor edits may be in order, but keep fighting for this.

OOC: Trying my best to get this to quorum, even did a manual WA campaign to like 20 delegates. Can't afford to spend $1.25 like Joco

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Hatzisland wrote:

OOC: Trying my best to get this to quorum, even did a manual WA campaign to like 20 delegates. Can't afford to spend $1.25 like Joco

OOC: Well, neither can I.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

The Canadian Republic Colonies
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 07, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Good except for one thing

Postby The Canadian Republic Colonies » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 pm

In full support minus one issue. Under the section about a minor Guardianship does not necessarily include adopted parents. The term "biological parents" can be exclusive of members of society with adopted parents or same sex parents. The ambiguity of this should be replaced with something along the lines of "biological parents or other legally designated parents" or another way of putting it, "biological or adoptive parents" .

This is in relation to a term known as PAL or Positive Adoption Language in law.
The Canadian Republic Colonies - Canada For All ; All For Canada

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 pm

The Canadian Republic Colonies wrote:In full support minus one issue. Under the section about a minor Guardianship does not necessarily include adopted parents. The term "biological parents" can be exclusive of members of society with adopted parents or same sex parents. The ambiguity of this should be replaced with something along the lines of "biological parents or other legally designated parents" or another way of putting it, "biological or adoptive parents" .

This is in relation to a term known as PAL or Positive Adoption Language in law.

Adoptive parents, as I understand it, qualify as legal guardians.

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. This indeed should be edited.
Last edited by Wallenburg on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Alyrria
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyrria » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:31 pm

With the addition of Positive Adoption Language, Alyrria is in full support.
Ambassador Della Cato on behalf of Chancellor Valerian:
Plan your next vacation on the black sand beaches of Alyrria! We have excellent exchange rates with most foreign currency!

New Zacharianasville
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Zacharianasville » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:09 am

You have my vote to bring it to the assembly floor.
On the political compass I am:
Economic Left/Right: -1.87
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.48

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives