NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Cyberweapons Control Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wabberjocky
Secretary

Founded: Oct 07, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Wabberjocky » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:00 pm

Who determines what constitutes a crime?

Freepublican
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

hacker orgs

Postby Freepublican » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Hey, does this mean we can treat members of organizations that use hacking as prisoners of war?

Imperial Domain of Persia
Secretary

Founded: May 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Domain of Persia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:19 pm

The Domain of Persia finds the definition of cyberweapon to be too strong, and wishes those in favor of the resolution to acknowledge that cyber weapons can be of much lower capacity and caliber than those mentioned in the resolution. This resolution does not regulate them, therefore we vote against.

Poopsancagizal
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 21, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Poopsancagizal » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Oh, great. Now it's an international crime to attack literal concentration camps just because the enemy calls them "hospitals."

Strong Against.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:47 pm

Poopsancagizal wrote:Oh, great. Now it's an international crime to attack literal concentration camps just because the enemy calls them "hospitals."

Strong Against.

Hospitals have long been protected

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:23 am

Freepublican wrote:Hey, does this mean we can treat members of organizations that use hacking as prisoners of war?

(OOC: No, it means you can treat people who are part of hacking organisations as criminals, not prisoners of war.
Wabberjocky wrote:Who determines what constitutes a crime?
The WA in most cases, and, where there exists no GA law, member nations themselves. Due to the ambiguity of the current proposal, a member state has a lot of leeway as to what constitutes a cybercrime.
Poopsancagizal wrote:Oh, great. Now it's an international crime to attack literal concentration camps just because the enemy calls them "hospitals."

Strong Against.
The enemy cannot just call something a hospital, it must actually be a hospital to be protected by this proposal. If you disagree with that idea then unfortunately you have several resolutions which protect the status of medical facilities. I am also unsure as to what benefit a nation could gain from attacking concentration camps.)
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:29 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: Off the top of my head, I see the proposal defines cyberweapons as items that can cause "electronic or physical damage," and that the type of "cyberwarfare" which causes prohibited political damage can only be carried out with "cyberweapons." This has the odd effect of making it illegal for hackers and soldiers to cause political damage (since their devices must be classified as cyberweapons, being capable of causing electronic or physical damage), but ordinary/unskilled people may go right ahead and advocate (and succeed in!) overthrowing the government under this proposal, since their devices are simply not dangerous in that manner.

OOC: The proposal doesn't agree with you, though:
Hereby defines the usage of electronic devices that cause significant negative political, economic, industrial, or physical damage to another sovereign state an act of warfare, to be referred to as Cyberwarfare.

It doesn't mention anything about needing to be a professional hacker or soldier. If you as a regular civilian use your smartphone to arrange a successful political smear campaign (think things like using Facebook in a non-professional manner) against a prominent candidate in another nation (which may be your home nation! you just need to be in another nation) and they end up not getting elected in an important election, you've caused "significant negative political damage" nevertheless, and also, "Establishes these electronic devices or tools as Cyberweapons" and "to be designated and treated ... as" make your smartphone count as one. Or using your cellphone for stock trading in a mannner that can easily tank a nation's economy, if it rests on a single product (like Saudi Arabia's rests on oil) that you crash the market price for.

Now, if it was referring to nations officially causing said things to happen, then I'd agree with you. But there's no restriction on "usage".

Like I said before, it doesn't matter that a newborn baby isn't a nuclear weapon; if you're required to designate and treat it as one, then it legally counts as one. Think of RL examples of how new vehicles invented by people in history have been licenced under (and thus "designated and treated as", as far as legislation has been concerned) licence systems meant for existing, often radically different vehicles, simply because there wasn't a suitable existing category.

(EDIT: It seems destined to lose the vote, so no need to make an official challenge.)

Kenmoria wrote:
Freepublican wrote:Hey, does this mean we can treat members of organizations that use hacking as prisoners of war?

(OOC: No, it means you can’t rest people who are part of hacking organisations as criminals, not prisoners of war.

OOC: I presume that was meant to read "arrest". :P And you might be right if not for the fact that using cyberweapons has been defined as a method of warfare. In my understanding people who carry out acts of war during a war, count as enemy combatants? So during a war, a hacker from the enemy nation would count as a prisoner of war if caught.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Saranidia
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:50 am

did you read it?
Mostly represents my views but what I think a Middle Eastern nation should do which will be sometimes different to what I think a western nation should do(because the people have different needs in different places)

Vote Lisa Nandy

Copy this into your sig if you know sex and gender are different and did not fail biology.

RIP grandpa kitchen

Saranidia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:54 am

Kenmoria wrote:

(OOC: No, it means you can treat people who are part of hacking organisations as criminals, not prisoners of war.
The WA in most cases, and, where there exists no GA law, member nations themselves. Due to the ambiguity of the current proposal, a member state has a lot of leeway as to what constitutes a cybercrime.

Strong Against.
The enemy cannot just call something a hospital, it must actually be a hospital to be protected by this proposal. If you disagree with that idea then unfortunately you have several resolutions which protect the status of medical facilities. I am also unsure as to what benefit a nation could gain from attacking concentration camps.)

I know right. I think member states have ulterior motives for voting against this.
Also any form of attacks on civilians are haram so it is haram to Muslim nations to vote against this law
sources:
Book 008, Hadith Number 2663.
Book 019, Hadith Number 4319.
Mostly represents my views but what I think a Middle Eastern nation should do which will be sometimes different to what I think a western nation should do(because the people have different needs in different places)

Vote Lisa Nandy

Copy this into your sig if you know sex and gender are different and did not fail biology.

RIP grandpa kitchen

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:15 am

Araraukar wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: Off the top of my head, I see the proposal defines cyberweapons as items that can cause "electronic or physical damage," and that the type of "cyberwarfare" which causes prohibited political damage can only be carried out with "cyberweapons." This has the odd effect of making it illegal for hackers and soldiers to cause political damage (since their devices must be classified as cyberweapons, being capable of causing electronic or physical damage), but ordinary/unskilled people may go right ahead and advocate (and succeed in!) overthrowing the government under this proposal, since their devices are simply not dangerous in that manner.

OOC: The proposal doesn't agree with you, though:
Hereby defines the usage of electronic devices that cause significant negative political, economic, industrial, or physical damage to another sovereign state an act of warfare, to be referred to as Cyberwarfare.

It doesn't mention anything about needing to be a professional hacker or soldier. If you as a regular civilian use your smartphone to arrange a successful political smear campaign (think things like using Facebook in a non-professional manner) against a prominent candidate in another nation (which may be your home nation! you just need to be in another nation) and they end up not getting elected in an important election, you've caused "significant negative political damage" nevertheless, and also, "Establishes these electronic devices or tools as Cyberweapons" and "to be designated and treated ... as" make your smartphone count as one. Or using your cellphone for stock trading in a mannner that can easily tank a nation's economy, if it rests on a single product (like Saudi Arabia's rests on oil) that you crash the market price for.

Now, if it was referring to nations officially causing said things to happen, then I'd agree with you. But there's no restriction on "usage".

Like I said before, it doesn't matter that a newborn baby isn't a nuclear weapon; if you're required to designate and treat it as one, then it legally counts as one. Think of RL examples of how new vehicles invented by people in history have been licenced under (and thus "designated and treated as", as far as legislation has been concerned) licence systems meant for existing, often radically different vehicles, simply because there wasn't a suitable existing category.

OOC: TBH the resolution contradicts itself badly. Yes, there's the bit you cite, but there is also this:

Establishes these electronic devices or tools as Cyberweapons, to be designated and treated alongside conventional arms and weaponry as:

I. A means of causing significant electronic or physical damage that would warrant a proportional diplomatic or military response.

Followed by:
Designates further the legally binding definitions of the term Cyberwarfare as:

I. A warfare technique utilizing and relying on the class of weaponry defined under Clause I as cyberweapons.

II. A method of warfare which, using cyberweapons, causes significant economic, industrial, political, or physical damage to the target entity.

These sections wind up meaning that if the device is not capable of causing electronic or physical damage, nations are not required to treat it as a cyberweapon. Thus even a debilitating fake news campaign that gets a fascist demagogue in control of nuclear weapons and trade policy doesn't apply here, unless it was done using means that would also be capable of direct hacking (electronic damage) or worse (physical damage). Hence the comment about hackers and soldiers, which is not in the text but logically follows from it.

That it's poorly written doesn't make it illegal.

OTOH I agree that it seems unlikely to pass.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:34 am

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:51 am

Legal=/=Acceptable
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Hey Ara, internal contradiction isn't illegal.

OOC: Hey IA, never claimed it was. :P
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:34 pm

Welp. The drawing board shall be cleaned and be used again very soon.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Taliostia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Taliostia » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Will this stop hackers and keep the internet safe? That's up to debate.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:07 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:Welp. The drawing board shall be cleaned and be used again very soon.

OOC: You can actually start a new draft on it right now in its own thread, you don't need to wait for the vote to end. :)

Saranidia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:46 am

Taliostia wrote:Will this stop hackers and keep the internet safe? That's up to debate.

True but it is better than having no law to target civilians.
Now if a nation does that their leaders could be arrested for war crimes as could the hackers themselves and all other points of the chain of command.

Vote Lisa Nandy

RIP grandpa kitchen

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:42 am

Saranidia wrote:Now if a nation does that their leaders could be arrested for war crimes as could the hackers themselves and all other points of the chain of command.

OOC: The leaders could only be legally accused of that if they actually gave the orders to use cyberweapons on civilian targets. Besides, it's not like US President or UK royalty/prime minister got accused of warcrimes just because some of their soldiers committed some during WW2, nor did US president get accused of all the civilian deaths from using nukes in Japan, even knowing there'd be huge civilian casualties and also that they didn't actually need to use them. Chain of command only works up to whoever actually made the actual decision, and even then national leaders tend to get in trouble only if they're on the losing side.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saranidia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:16 am

Araraukar wrote:
Saranidia wrote:Now if a nation does that their leaders could be arrested for war crimes as could the hackers themselves and all other points of the chain of command.

OOC: The leaders could only be legally accused of that if they actually gave the orders to use cyberweapons on civilian targets. Besides, it's not like US President or UK royalty/prime minister got accused of warcrimes just because some of their soldiers committed some during WW2, nor did US president get accused of all the civilian deaths from using nukes in Japan, even knowing there'd be huge civilian casualties and also that they didn't actually need to use them. Chain of command only works up to whoever actually made the actual decision, and even then national leaders tend to get in trouble only if they're on the losing side.

OOC: true but the white house torture memo people even if they are not prosecuted are prisoners in America because Spain for example says they will prosecute.

Vote Lisa Nandy

RIP grandpa kitchen

Saranidia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:20 am

The Grand Mufti of Saranidia Suleiman Al Gaddafi condemns the idea of voting against this

Vote Lisa Nandy

RIP grandpa kitchen

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:53 pm

Saranidia wrote:The Grand Mufti of Saranidia Suleiman Al Gaddafi condemns the idea of voting against this

"And I'm sure you would do that for the same reasons why I'll be yelled at for logging Araraukar's vote "against"; because of the government wanting to have the power to strip people of modern communication devices for the flimsiest of reasons. Makes the masses easier to control."

Saranidia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:42 am

Araraukar wrote:
Saranidia wrote:The Grand Mufti of Saranidia Suleiman Al Gaddafi condemns the idea of voting against this

"And I'm sure you would do that for the same reasons why I'll be yelled at for logging Araraukar's vote "against"; because of the government wanting to have the power to strip people of modern communication devices for the flimsiest of reasons. Makes the masses easier to control."

"not true!
We are against cyber atrocities!"

Vote Lisa Nandy

RIP grandpa kitchen

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:01 am

"Cyberweapons Control Act" was defeated 10,741 votes to 5,010.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Hey everyone. Due to recent IRL business, I have been unbale to monitor this thread, but I'm back. I'm working on trimming the resolution, and rewording and structuring it to be more suitable. I plan to resubmit this soon.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:01 pm

It is customary to allow defeated resolution threads to be archived for historical purposes, rather than writing over them for a second attempt. I strongly recommend that you revert the changes made here and open a new thread for this new proposal effort.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives