NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Command Responsibility

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dreadton
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dreadton » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:31 am

In addition to my earlier objection,

The bill states "A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets." However, nothing in this text has anything to do with military budgets.
Just a Shameless Nobody.

All post are representations of the policy and opinions of the nation of Dreadton and not official TNP policy, unless specifically noted

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:33 am

Dreadton wrote:In addition to my earlier objection,

The bill states "A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets." However, nothing in this text has anything to do with military budgets.

"Increased training and education of military forces regarding their rights and obligations will increase their budget. Increased prosecution of military law offenders will drive up policing efforts. Try again."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Grug Island
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Grug Island » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:53 am

Grug wonder if funny suit people missing the bigger cave painting.
If people with big stick hit people with no stick so often, why we give them big stick?
Why big stick used by funny suit people to make sure people with no stick give rocks to people with big stick?
Grug wonder why big stick exist.
Grug Like Rock

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:32 am

Samaster wrote:
Falcania wrote:
On the contrary. In war, possibly more than in any facet of life, it is imperative to understand right and wrong. How can you hope to have an effective force in conflict if you do not eliminate the cruel within your ranks?

How can you hope to have an effective force, if you are wasting your time by working with noncompliant soldiers and deserters? Our forces are efficient.

If you have a problem with your soldiers not complying with orders to commit war crimes, have you considered not ordering them to do war crimes? Desertion is not a big issue in the military of the Free Kingdom, because our command elements are good at their jobs. If you fail to establish even a de facto command structure, don't be surprised when you have insubordinate soldiers.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Havl
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:06 am

Grug Island wrote:Grug wonder if funny suit people missing the bigger cave painting.
If people with big stick hit people with no stick so often, why we give them big stick?
Why big stick used by funny suit people to make sure people with no stick give rocks to people with big stick?
Grug wonder why big stick exist.

"I'm inclined to agree with the ambassador from Grug Island."
Same flag, same motto, same whatever since 2004.
Champions: World Cup of Hockey 20, 21, 22, 25
Hosts: NationStates Sports Car Series 1, 2, 3, 4

Winchesterly
Civilian

Founded: Jan 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

I think, NO!!

Postby Winchesterly » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:28 am

The Dictatorship of Winchesterly would like to state that we are opposed to the idea of allowing the World Assembly to have any control over our military force. This bill is open for far too much liberal interpretation and allows too much outside influence.

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:32 am

Winchesterly wrote:The Dictatorship of Winchesterly would like to state that we are opposed to the idea of allowing the World Assembly to have any control over our military force. This bill is open for far too much liberal interpretation and allows too much outside influence.

You, and several others, need to understand the distinction between "The WA is forcing me to enforce law X" and "The WA is forcing me to enforce laws at all". This is the latter.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

People of Phoenix
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby People of Phoenix » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:34 pm

The Republic of the People of Phoenix will be voting against. No!
What the absolute fu......

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:49 pm

People of Phoenix wrote:The Republic of the People of Phoenix will be voting against. No!

“Might I ask why?”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Nakur
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakur » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:48 pm

National Security is vital to the long term stability of a nation. With nation security, comes economic security. The United States of Nakur votes FOR the resolution, and encourages all other members of the World Assembly to consider long term international security before they make their vote.

-Sebastian Caesar

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:14 pm

"Arasi Luvasa is in favour, though we have similar legislation on our books already. Good luck ambassador, we clearly have some fools and potential war-criminals amongst our ranks who need to be tied down by personal culpability in their orders."
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Elyreia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 29, 2018

Postby Elyreia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:47 pm

Elyreia is more than willing to enforce sanctions and, if need be, send expeditionary forces to assist in defense in the event that some jingoists here decide to cause trouble just to show off their military might in 'protest' to the resolution.

We'll show you the true meaning of military honour.
The Principality of Elyreia (Dārilarostegun Elyreia)
The Principality of Elyreia Wiki

World Assembly Ambassador: Dārilaros Korus Vaelans
Uncrowned Head of the House of Vaelans-Volaria
[he/him/she/her/they/them]
(Character Dossier)

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:43 pm

"Arasi Luvasa will also enact sanctions. If requested we may send voluntary military aid but we prefer to avoid war."
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Vaxian Imperium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaxian Imperium » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:57 pm

"It makes no difference to us whether this law is past or not, most of our military operations are mere pest control against lesser beings and from I see there is no minimum sentencing for crimes"

Vaktus
NS stats are not used

Elyreia
Envoy

Postby Elyreia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Vaxian Imperium wrote:"It makes no difference to us whether this law is past or not, most of our military operations are mere pest control against lesser beings and from I see there is no minimum sentencing for crimes"

Vaktus

So long as you are a member of the World Assembly, there is no such thing as "lesser beings", as per multiple resolutions.

You are therefore not in compliance and we will be speaking with our colleagues on formally filing sanctions against your nation until compliance is met.
Last edited by Elyreia on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(Character Dossier)

The American-Rhodesian Coalition
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Need to know laws before enforcing them

Postby The American-Rhodesian Coalition » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Where might i find records of WA legislation so that I have a better understanding of what this resolution will be compelling me to enforce?
Last edited by The American-Rhodesian Coalition on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:51 pm

The American-Rhodesian Coalition wrote:Where might i find records of WA legislation so that I have a better understanding of what this resolution will be compelling me to enforce?

OOC: It is stickied at the top of the forum.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Vaxian Imperium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaxian Imperium » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:07 pm

Elyreia wrote:
Vaxian Imperium wrote:"It makes no difference to us whether this law is past or not, most of our military operations are mere pest control against lesser beings and from I see there is no minimum sentencing for crimes"

Vaktus

So long as you are a member of the World Assembly, there is no such thing as "lesser beings", as per multiple resolutions.

You are therefore not in compliance and we will be speaking with our colleagues on formally filing sanctions against your nation until compliance is met.

(lesser being as in swarms of insectiods that eat everything in their path and cannibalistic mutants)
NS stats are not used

Elyreia
Envoy

Postby Elyreia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:32 pm

Vaxian Imperium wrote:
Elyreia wrote:

(lesser being as in swarms of insectiods that eat everything in their path and cannibalistic mutants)

OOC: Unfortunately, the CoCR applies to all sentient beings and, as it stands, the Elyreian Delegate has no idea what your nation is fighting aside from "lesser beings". You may want to clarify.

(Character Dossier)

Vaxian Imperium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaxian Imperium » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:33 pm

Elyreia wrote:
Vaxian Imperium wrote:

OOC: Unfortunately, the CoCR applies to all sentient beings and, as it stands, the Elyreian Delegate has no idea what your nation is fighting aside from "lesser beings". You may want to clarify.

"No such thing as lesser beings? You think that these things that would shred my people without mercy in their maw deserve to have rights? then let me show you this video taken by one of our drones, sir"
https://youtu.be/jvzzimtJN7k
"These brave cadets were shot down by these things on their way to a training exercise with mere training rifles, accompanying them was a news crew to show how far they had come...as you see they were slaughtered..the one thrown and devoured was my own flesh and blood...so I refuse to show mercy to these things"

Vaktus
NS stats are not used

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Vaxian Imperium wrote:
Elyreia wrote:

"No such thing as lesser beings? You think that these things that would shred my people without mercy in their maw deserve to have rights? then let me show you this video taken by one of our drones, sir"
https://youtu.be/jvzzimtJN7k
"These brave cadets were shot down by these things on their way to a training exercise with mere training rifles, accompanying them was a news crew to show how far they had come...as you see they were slaughtered..the one thrown and devoured was my own flesh and blood...so I refuse to show mercy to these things"

Vaktus

"Cool. Enjoy the sanctions when you violate WA law."

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 28, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:39 pm

”I know I’ve already said I’m iffy on this,” said Tokiko, not really expecting this to go very well, ”But he makes a point. Our old Tengo enemies where the kind of people who’d throw children into battle. Said children sung as they killed us, smiled as we killed them, and generally showed no signs of compassion, remorse, or free will. They built walls out of the corpses of their own dead, sent out child suicide bombers, and I think it was all because their leaders had absolute control and wanted to drive us all crazy. I’d make a case that such opponents shouldn’t be considered to have any rights, and that any kind of so-called atrocity against ‘em should be justified.”
This nation exists for fun and insanity, not to represent my actual views which are much more mundane and boring.
Also, I don't use NS stats. So please ignore them.
Current Status (yes, I'm bad at keeping this updated): Immaterial

TG me for a free cookie. May contain traces of hydrogen cyanide.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Kyoki Chudoku wrote:”I know I’ve already said I’m iffy on this,” said Tokiko, not really expecting this to go very well, ”But he makes a point. Our old Tengo enemies where the kind of people who’d throw children into battle. Said children sung as they killed us, smiled as we killed them, and generally showed no signs of compassion, remorse, or free will. They built walls out of the corpses of their own dead, sent out child suicide bombers, and I think it was all because their leaders had absolute control and wanted to drive us all crazy. I’d make a case that such opponents shouldn’t be considered to have any rights, and that any kind of so-called atrocity against ‘em should be justified.”

"Right. Meeting atrocity with atrocity is the best way to solve a complicated problem. Ambassador, have you considered that maybe, just maybe, using the same tactics makes you as bad as your enemy? Or that, having free will and choosing barbarity, you're even worse than your enemy?"

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 28, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Kyoki Chudoku wrote:”I know I’ve already said I’m iffy on this,” said Tokiko, not really expecting this to go very well, ”But he makes a point. Our old Tengo enemies where the kind of people who’d throw children into battle. Said children sung as they killed us, smiled as we killed them, and generally showed no signs of compassion, remorse, or free will. They built walls out of the corpses of their own dead, sent out child suicide bombers, and I think it was all because their leaders had absolute control and wanted to drive us all crazy. I’d make a case that such opponents shouldn’t be considered to have any rights, and that any kind of so-called atrocity against ‘em should be justified.”

"Right. Meeting atrocity with atrocity is the best way to solve a complicated problem. Ambassador, have you considered that maybe, just maybe, using the same tactics makes you as bad as your enemy? Or that, having free will and choosing barbarity, you're even worse than your enemy?"

Tokiko took out her knife, and pointed it at her eyepatch. ”I’ve been a diplomat for a while, but never did much diplomacy. Only got my current job after the Nightmare. Do you want to know what happened to me during that Nightmare? One of those little blighters gouged my eye out, and I was one of the lucky ones. It’s easy for you to act all high-and-mighty when as the one who’s job it is to negotiate with people. Yeah. Try negotiation on them, see where it gets you. Play nice with the kids who pretend to be your own troops just to ambush you, the soldiers who have no food on them because they’re expected to die en masse, singing and smiling and committing genocide as they resort to cannibalising each other ‘cause that’s the only rations they’re gonna get. Be gentle with the people using agony beams that leave you in overwhelming pain, having a seizure every five seconds for months on end, from an instant of exposure. Don’t be too hard on the people who melted entire cities apart. I couldn’t be as bad as them if I tried to, ambassador. I take offence to your characterisation of such situations as a complicated problem. It’s a very simple one. Do everything you can to survive and struggle to fight them off, or die a gruesome, agonising death. Atrocity or not, which option do you reckon I’m gonna pick? Oh, right, special pleading, isn’t it? Let’s just condemn everyone involved! Oh, except the what, hundred million fatalities on our side? Can’t really go after them because they’re dead. You can’t just ignore situations like this. Rare or not, special or not, they happen, and I’ll tell you now, I’d rather have a few sanctions than no defence force.”
This nation exists for fun and insanity, not to represent my actual views which are much more mundane and boring.
Also, I don't use NS stats. So please ignore them.
Current Status (yes, I'm bad at keeping this updated): Immaterial

TG me for a free cookie. May contain traces of hydrogen cyanide.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Kyoki Chudoku wrote:Tokiko took out her knife, and pointed it at her eyepatch. ”I’ve been a diplomat for a while, but never did much diplomacy. Only got my current job after the Nightmare. Do you want to know what happened to me during that Nightmare? One of those little blighters gouged my eye out, and I was one of the lucky ones. It’s easy for you to act all high-and-mighty when as the one who’s job it is to negotiate with people. Yeah. Try negotiation on them, see where it gets you. Play nice with the kids who pretend to be your own troops just to ambush you, the soldiers who have no food on them because they’re expected to die en masse, singing and smiling and committing genocide as they resort to cannibalising each other ‘cause that’s the only rations they’re gonna get. Be gentle with the people using agony beams that leave you in overwhelming pain, having a seizure every five seconds for months on end, from an instant of exposure. Don’t be too hard on the people who melted entire cities apart. I couldn’t be as bad as them if I tried to, ambassador. I take offence to your characterisation of such situations as a complicated problem. It’s a very simple one. Do everything you can to survive and struggle to fight them off, or die a gruesome, agonising death. Atrocity or not, which option do you reckon I’m gonna pick? Oh, right, special pleading, isn’t it? Let’s just condemn everyone involved! Oh, except the what, hundred million fatalities on our side? Can’t really go after them because they’re dead. You can’t just ignore situations like this. Rare or not, special or not, they happen, and I’ll tell you now, I’d rather have a few sanctions than no defence force.”

"Ambassador, I believe you've told most of this story before.

"I am not ignoring these situations. I am making an ethical decision that they do not outweigh the need for commanders to be responsible for their illegal actions."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives