NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Ban on Capital Punishment

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Jibby
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jibby » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:24 am

*Jimbo shuffles his tie* "Well guys i mean even though youve lost maybe we could all celebrate together, Right? I mean like i dont know what you guys do after these meetings. So uh yeah."
I hate mondays
-Garfield

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:01 am

"Ban on Capital Punishment" was defeated 10,165 votes to 7,905.

New Jibby
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jibby » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 am

Yay
I hate mondays
-Garfield

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 am

New Jibby wrote:*Jimbo shuffles his tie* "Well guys i mean even though youve lost maybe we could all celebrate together, Right? I mean like i dont know what you guys do after these meetings. So uh yeah."

“Generally we just pop down to the Stranger’s bar, they have a huge variety of beverages and one can always be certain to find something abnormal there.”
Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:"Ban on Capital Punishment" was defeated 10,165 votes to 7,905.
(OOC: :( I was looking forward to the ensuing explosion of rage and Natsov that would result from it being passed. Even without the controversy, it was still a good law that I would like to have seen passed, if only for the resulting discussion about WA overreach.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 am

Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:"Ban on Capital Punishment" was defeated 10,165 votes to 7,905.

OOC: Thankfully. I just hope that there is no constant resubmission of this.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

New Jibby
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jibby » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 am

The New California Republic wrote:OOC: Thankfully. I just hope that there is no constant resubmission of this.

OOC: there is just a bit looser
I hate mondays
-Garfield

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:01 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: :( I was looking forward to the ensuing explosion of rage and Natsov that would result from it being passed. Even without the controversy, it was still a good law that I would like to have seen passed, if only for the resulting discussion about WA overreach.)

Agreed.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Nunavutialand
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nunavutialand » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:07 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Jocospor wrote:Oh, we've nothing else to say here, other than you should question the validity of that "regionmate" when they provide your with further information. ;)

OOC: If it makes you feel better, the information was offered unsolicited.

OOC: More proof that the Secretariat is a complete and utter twat.

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 am

Nunavutialand wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: If it makes you feel better, the information was offered unsolicited.

OOC: More proof that the Secretariat is a complete and utter twat.

Let's calm

Nova Trieste
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Trieste » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:29 am

The people of Nova Triest is glad to see that majority of the WA values common sense more than the subjective morals of the "ethics police". I'm almost feared that our glorious work of purging our territory from traitors, bandits and spies would have been... compromised.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:34 am

Extremely delighted to see this fail.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Inberdia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 11, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Inberdia » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:45 am

It would have been entertaining to see this pass, but I dont really care.

Hamstan
Envoy

Founded: Sep 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamstan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Ambassador Hamer stands. He looks relived and rejuvenated.
"Today, I address you, thank Hamehameha, a delegate from the free Confederacy of Hamstan. I hope that this day is marked well as the day the nations of the world stood up to what could have been tyranny by the Assembly. Let us also hope that this day marks a turnaround for an as-of-late increasingly globalist and overbearing organization. We Hamstanians also have a debate on this very issue brewing, but the fact that that decision is not being made for us is a great relief. Let us now reflect on our actions and continue to try to make both the world and the Assembly a better place for all mankind. Long live the World Assembly! Libertate et iustitiae mundi Valete!
ALL POWER TO THE HAM KINGS, COMRADES!-Vladimir Bacon, our founder
a 5.63 civilization, according to https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
IC Location: Has now expanded beyond the borders of its home universe and has constructed its own little interstellar empire in its own pocket universe
OOC: Hamstan does not reflect my views. I'm just a teenage anarchist

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Well this was entertaining
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:52 pm

We hope this will be resubmitted. Even if it fails again, we're happy to see it drain the resources of those states that believe it acceptable to kill.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Kashida
Secretary

Founded: Jun 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kashida » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Linux and the X wrote:We hope this will be resubmitted. Even if it fails again, we're happy to see it drain the resources of those states that believe it acceptable to kill.

This cost Kashida literally nothing to fight in fact after the first day we just kept an eye on the voting.Also how petty lose with dignity.
KashidaHistory, Pragmatism, Strength.
In support
Gaullism, Military, Social Welfare, Human Rights, Independent Nations, Gun and weapons, LGBT Rights

In opposition
Fascism, Discrimination, Genocide, Assholes

Kashida
Secretary

Founded: Jun 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kashida » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Victory! We the nation of Kashida are glad to see the ban defeated and to see that WA nations sovereign right of law will remain with the nation.
KashidaHistory, Pragmatism, Strength.
In support
Gaullism, Military, Social Welfare, Human Rights, Independent Nations, Gun and weapons, LGBT Rights

In opposition
Fascism, Discrimination, Genocide, Assholes

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Kashida wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:We hope this will be resubmitted. Even if it fails again, we're happy to see it drain the resources of those states that believe it acceptable to kill.

This cost Kashida literally nothing to fight in fact after the first day we just kept an eye on the voting.Also how petty lose with dignity.

Ooc: ironic considering how many Against voters wouldn't have complied.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sefy the Great
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sefy the Great » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:21 pm

it's actually easier on the state to kill a criminal then let them live and hoover up the taxpayer's money (or human souls or Sanity or whatever).
A 12.7 civilization, according to this index.

Motto is "All shall be well, and all matter of things shall be well." but it didn't fit.
reworking history, please wait...

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Sefy the Great wrote:

it's actually easier on the state to kill a criminal then let them live and hoover up the taxpayer's money (or human souls or Sanity or whatever).

"Ambassador, human rights are not about what is easy, but what is right."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

West Phoenicia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2017

Postby West Phoenicia » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Sefy the Great wrote:it's actually easier on the state to kill a criminal then let them live and hoover up the taxpayer's money (or human souls or Sanity or whatever).

"Ambassador, human rights are not about what is easy, but what is right."

But dear Ambassador it is not your right alone to dictate what is right and wrong. Just because you may feel your view on capital punishment is right and justified doesnt make it so.

Its a grey issue not a black and white issue. Same goes for abortion, euthanasia and sending men and women to war knowing they could be killed. You will never get 100% agreement to think so is selfish.

Your rights may lie with the accused or the woman wanting to abort or the person dying a painful death, other people feel the rights of the victim have been trampled on and justice needs to be served or they think of the life growing in the womb or the fact that doctors have given false diagnosis and healthy people have died or members of society feeling people with mental issues should also be euthanized.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:39 pm

West Phoenicia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Ambassador, human rights are not about what is easy, but what is right."

But dear Ambassador it is not your right alone to dictate what is right and wrong. Just because you may feel your view on capital punishment is right and justified doesnt make it so.

Its a grey issue not a black and white issue. Same goes for abortion, euthanasia and sending men and women to war knowing they could be killed. You will never get 100% agreement to think so is selfish.

Your rights may lie with the accused or the woman wanting to abort or the person dying a painful death, other people feel the rights of the victim have been trampled on and justice needs to be served or they think of the life growing in the womb or the fact that doctors have given false diagnosis and healthy people have died or members of society feeling people with mental issues should also be euthanized.

"Ambassador, what is right is also not a democratic question. Which is why we dont permit majorities to vote minorities into oppression. That people disagree means little."

West Phoenicia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2017

Postby West Phoenicia » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:47 pm

West Phoenicia wrote:

"Ambassador, what is right is also not a democratic question. Which is why we dont permit majorities to vote minorities into oppression. That people disagree means little."

Ambassador, so are you suggesting your thought process and beliefs are right and those outside your thinking are incorrect in their thinking?

What is right to you, may in fact not be the case for what is actually right.

What is right? The universal question does not lie in you alone.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:50 pm

"We have already discussed inalienable human rights as accepted by this assembly I believe."
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Xanthal
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Xanthal » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:51 pm

I agree with the West Phoenician delegation. Right and wrong may not be a democratic question, but in the WA it has to be. Otherwise what kind of question can it be? Everybody thinks they're right; how are we to decide whose morality to follow if not by voting?
Technology Tier: 9
Arcane Level: 4
Influence Type: 8

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives