NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Right to Self-defense

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:40 pm

Would the Nueva Ricoan delegation be willing to rephrase the third section of its proposal? Perhaps, it could say:

Declares that all member states and their subdivisions shall uphold an individual right to self-defense and shall permit and accept the exercise of this right as an affirmative defense in cases where an individual:

&c. &c. &c.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Nueva Rico
Secretary

Founded: Feb 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nueva Rico » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:19 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Declares that all member states and their subdivisions shall uphold an individual right to self-defense and shall permit and accept the exercise of this right as an affirmative defense in cases where an individual:

I thank you for your contribution and feedback. I have rephrased that line to make it more clear.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:34 am

OOC: I would still suggest that you put in a restriction about allowing the self defence clause only if getting help from law enforcement or other professional security personnell was impossible. Like, it's one thing if you'd need the help right now and it would take the police 15 minutes to get there, but calling them should still be your first priority.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:43 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: I would still suggest that you put in a restriction about allowing the self defence clause only if getting help from law enforcement or other professional security personnell was impossible. Like, it's one thing if you'd need the help right now and it would take the police 15 minutes to get there, but calling them should still be your first priority.

a) The threat poses a clear and immediate danger to the life of the individual or his or her family,

If you have time to wait for police then how is the danger immediate?
Last edited by Aclion on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:06 am

Aclion wrote:
a) The threat poses a clear and immediate danger to the life of the individual or his or her family,

If you have time to wait for police then how is the danger immediate?

OOC: Oh, if you can read it that way, then no objections as it's loopholeable to death, and the self-defence legal defence can be ignored in favour of prosecuting it as an assault anyway...

EDIT: A random thought; capital punishment probably should be excluded from this. As in, not letting family members of the person-to-be-executed to try to interfere with a legal execution procedure...
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 am

"The definition of family is extremely vague and should be tightened. Furthermore, could you explain 3a as to what 'immediate' means. If, for example, a person entered the home of another, it is ambiguos whether the danger is immediate, since there is no instantaneous threat but an immediate likelihood the criminal is violent. Also, maybe the authoring delagation could add something about defence of property."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Nueva Rico
Secretary

Founded: Feb 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nueva Rico » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:23 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"The definition of family is extremely vague and should be tightened. Furthermore, could you explain 3a as to what 'immediate' means. If, for example, a person entered the home of another, it is ambiguos whether the danger is immediate, since there is no instantaneous threat but an immediate likelihood the criminal is violent. Also, maybe the authoring delagation could add something about defence of property."

1. How is an armed invader in your home not an immediate threat to your danger? In that case, nothing is a threat until you are harmed. A threat is a potential injury, and you can be sure that that is a high possibility when someone is armed and in your home.

2. Castle laws are another thing entirely, I leave enough wiggle room already.
Last edited by Nueva Rico on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:45 am

Nueva Rico wrote:1. How is an armed invader in your home not an immediate threat to your danger?

OOC: Because. You. Should. Call. The. Police. First.

In that case, nothing is a threat until you are harmed.

Exactly why anything else is just assault, not self-defence.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bananaaaaa
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bananaaaaa » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:35 am

Greetings, your draft proposal, is basically in a nutshell, "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."?

-The Principality
NEWS UPDATE The Principality
Law Writing equals headache, Flag has been changed, might change it in the foreseeable future. Factbook Category History updates

Real Life has been rearing again, so have been on and off again. W.A voting is really on a rare occasion, but endorsements are in full swing

United Capitalist Federations
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby United Capitalist Federations » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:41 am

[/quote]
"Furthermore, someone stumbling and colliding with you on the subway platform - where such accident had the distinct possibility of putting both your life in danger - should not give you the right to punch them in the face.

"Though that reminds me that defining "arms" seems unnecessary if the word is only used to say that this proposal has nothing to do with regulating them."
[/quote]

That makes no sense. There is a distinct difference between an accident for which your shooting someone and for someone actively trying to harm you or your family.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:45 am

Araraukar wrote:
Nueva Rico wrote:1. How is an armed invader in your home not an immediate threat to your danger?

In that case, nothing is a threat until you are harmed.

Exactly why anything else is just assault, not self-defence.

OOC: I think I'm missing something here. Clause 3a states the threat must be "a clear and immediate danger to the life ...". If there's a clear and immediate danger to my life, I'm not going to be fluting around with my phone. It's either run like **** or fight back. Not pause to make a phone call while getting murdered.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

The United Orthodox States
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Orthodox States » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Ambassador Justin rises to speak. "The wording of section 3.b is extremely vague, and excessive force could be argued to mean almost anything, and should be altered to be more specific as to what excessive means. Nevertheless, The United Orthodox States will support this proposal."
Last edited by The United Orthodox States on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Ambassador Blackbourne enters the room, having heard that the matter of self defensive use of force was up for debate. After looking over the draft before him and then rereading it, he remarks "The definition of arms is quite unnecessary. It is only used in the final clause, which, quite frankly, does nothing. The final clause is fine, of course, it prevents confusion of the scope of this proposal, but the definition of arms is not really needed for comprehension of that clause. You would be best served simply leaving it off altogether, or it may invite debate among other ambassadors despite its irrelevance."

He pauses. "Also, I advise changing 'his or her family' to 'their family', as not all species have binary gender. But that's a minor grievance."
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: I think I'm missing something here.

OOC: Yes. This:

If someone breaks into your house, you call the police. Even if you then ended up having to defend yourself, if you hear someone breaking into your house, you first call the police.

United Capitalist Federations wrote:That makes no sense.

OOC: The draft was changed since I posted that, so it doesn't make sense now.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:18 pm

"On a minor note, clause five should end with a full stop and not a comma as it is the end of the proposal."

(OOC: There are currently multiple different interpretations of "immediate" in 3a, I recommend clarifying.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The United Orthodox States
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Orthodox States » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Nueva Rico wrote:Hereby,

1. Defines “family” as someone related to an individual by blood, in marriage, in law, or of some substantial and tangible relationship,

"Another minor detail I would edit is Clause 1. The definition of Family is very broad, and doesn't really define a 'Family' in the traditional sense. Therefore, I propose to change the entirety of this Clause to 'People in the vicinity' instead of family, because this new definition includes strangers in danger, as their lives are as important as everyone you know. Therefore, Clause 1. should become 'People in the vicinity i.e. 50 yards, are counted as in danger form the specified threat, and are subject to this law, and are hereby refered to as People in the Vicinity'. After this edit, the rest of the references tofamily should be changed to people in the vicinity.''

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 am

(OOC: I believe that clause 5 is unnecessary, as there is no reasonable interpretation of the above 4 clauses that would do the things you clarify against.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Slavonia and Srijem
Attaché

Founded: Nov 02, 2016

Postby Slavonia and Srijem » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:19 pm

This can be easly solved by investing funds into Law and Order, but yeah, ofcourse individuals should have rights to defend themself, sorry i didn't read whole proposal either........ :lol:

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 am

Araraukar wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:OOC: I think I'm missing something here.

OOC: Yes. This:

If someone breaks into your house, you call the police. Even if you then ended up having to defend yourself, if you hear someone breaking into your house, you first call the police.

Whether or not the person called the police is immaterial to whether they needed to defend themselves. If you want to create a law mandating that people inform the police of crimes they witness you can do so. But creating a gotcha clause to be abused by activist judges isn't the way to do it.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:30 pm

This is now in queue.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:57 am

Aclion wrote:But creating a gotcha clause to be abused by activist judges isn't the way to do it.

OOC: Clause 3 is that kind of gotcha all on its own, so it can be freely abused by the judges of a super-pacifist nation like Araraukar. :P

I still object to defining something that is used only to say the proposal has nothing to do with it (clause 2 in other words).

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:59 am

“The immediate issue I can see with this is capital punishment. If capital punishment is going to be committed on someone’s family, defence of them from the government shouldn’t be legalised. Of course I would prefer if the death penalty would be banned anyway, but forcing member nations to legalise someone killing the person administering death is ludicrous. Thus, I am firmly AGAINST this proposal.”
My pronouns are he/him.

New Waldensia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby New Waldensia » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:04 pm

Araraukar wrote:

Araraukar wrote:If someone breaks into your house, you call the police. Even if you then ended up having to defend yourself, if you hear someone breaking into your house, you first call the police.

Assuming you have time to. Victims of such situations don't always have the luxury of time to do so.

New Waldensia, and the Federation of Conservative Nations, fully support this measure.
IC WA Diplomat Josiah Garrett
Author of GA #414 (Freedom to Seek Medical Care) and GA #456 (Freedom to Seek Medical Care II)

Army of Freedom medals received:
N-Day² Medals -- N-Day³ Medals -- N-Day⁴ Medals
Z-Day6 Medals

Fardhin
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fardhin » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:15 pm

The Legacy Council of Fardhin has shown support for this; however, we feel that it inadequately defines the conditions for the justification of right to self-defense. It must be included, and defined; that the person causing harm is doing so with intention, otherwise, any accident such as an accidental bump could be easily misinterpreted as an attack. While some misinterpretations may seem ridiculous, these do indeed happen, sometimes with simple bumps being interpreted as rape.
THE FARDHINIST COALITION OF THE NATIONS OF MALAYA
"Hand in hand, we march to meet tomorrow."
Chairman : Farid Harun Samporna | Official Language : Malay | IC Year : 2069 | Anthem : Malaya will be Victorious!
A coalition of the nations of Malaya working hand in hand towards common goals and supporting each other. Founded to combat Natzarist faction in currently ongoing Malayan Civil War [PMT | OPEN].

NEWS:Coalition conducts ICBM and nuclear test, armed missile launched into Sahara with cooperation of Malayan ally, Cairene Arabia. | "Natzar is a fraud and the aristocratic party are traitors. If you are loyal to Malaya, it is much better to support the Coalition." says former Crown Prince Sayf Ar-Rijal Bolkiah.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:59 pm

FOR. In New Bremerton, the right to self-defense, not to be confused with a right to bear arms, is enshrined in our constitution, although we would like the proposal to have gone a little further by incorporating a Castle doctrine with respect to home invasions, which would permit homeowners to use whatever force they deem necessary to defend themselves, their property and their loved ones from home invaders, up to and including deadly force, with no obligation to retreat and complete immunity from prosecution. No homeowner should ever have to fear not only for their lives but also their freedom should they choose to defend themselves.

This proposal also seeks to uphold the inalienable right of citizens to defend themselves in the event that their own government turns on them by killing them, or in the event that the government is either unable or unwilling to defend its citizens i.e. there is a complete breakdown of law and order, and terrorists and radical extremists have overrun part of a nation in a bloody civil war.

While this proposal doesn't go as far as we would like, it nevertheless represents a significant step forward for the protection of human rights.

We would like to clarify, however, that we do not believe in an inherent "right to bear arms". In New Bremerton, gun ownership is strictly prohibited except in circumstances where there is a complete breakdown of law and order and the government is unable to defend its citizens, although the use of a firearm in a defensive situation is not. Being an island continent, even the most hardened criminals would be hard-pressed to acquire a firearm, whether legally or illegally.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives