NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Protecting Free Expression

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Founded: Nov 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:05 am

Zhan furiously takes down notes with his red-and-black pen. He then raises it to signal asking a question.

"Strongly supporting this, but could you please further define what terms exactly make violation of Free Speech as is, orchestrated by both civlian and government personnel? What if a government operative/s suppresses a rally through a counter-rally, then denies government assosiation?"
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES
RPs I'm In: (1) (2) (3) (4)
Puppet(s): Hintuwan
NO-ONE FIGHTS ALONE! JOIN ESCB  TWI  ISC  ISVC TODAY!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:39 pm

"For clause 1b, political groups are organisations, and it is dictatorial to allow member states to ban criticism of them."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:53 am

Kenmoria wrote:"For clause 1b, political groups are organisations, and it is dictatorial to allow member states to ban criticism of them."

"I agree this should be clarified a bit. As is, any false statement, including parody and satire, could be construed as intent to 'falsely injure' its target. That won't fly."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:21 am

In terms of classified information or information received in confidence, I'd like to see some protection for whistle-blowers.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:26 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:"For clause 1b, political groups are organisations, and it is dictatorial to allow member states to ban criticism of them."

"I agree this should be clarified a bit. As is, any false statement, including parody and satire, could be construed as intent to 'falsely injure' its target. That won't fly."

I believe my new definition of defamation should clarify this; please confirm as much."
Uan aa Boa wrote:In terms of classified information or information received in confidence, I'd like to see some protection for whistle-blowers.

"Such as?"

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:18 am

United Massachusetts wrote:
Uan aa Boa wrote:In terms of classified information or information received in confidence, I'd like to see some protection for whistle-blowers.

"Such as?"

How about "...except where the information constitutes evidence of serious wrongdoing and disclosure is clearly in the public interest"?

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:58 pm

The natural law reference is awkward, and I can't think of any natural law philosophers who endorse freedom of speech per se. I would prefer a resolution that categorically prohibits international restrictions on speech and that simultaneously prohibits the worst kinds of national restrictions.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:31 pm

"For clause g, I suggest adding public property to the list, seeing as some of the most important buildings in society: schools, hospitals and fire stations, are publicly-owned."
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:10 am

I would like to see member states have the right to restrict hate speech without the requirement that an expression of hate speech be, in and of itself, a threat to civil order or an incitement to violence. I think it's pretty clear that widespread hate speech increases the risk of violence and other negative outcomes even where that can't be attributed to any individual piece of expression.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:53 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:I would like to see member states have the right to restrict hate speech without the requirement that an expression of hate speech be, in and of itself, a threat to civil order or an incitement to violence. I think it's pretty clear that widespread hate speech increases the risk of violence and other negative outcomes even where that can't be attributed to any individual piece of expression.

We believe that this is a matter for future legislation to deal with. Our bill permits future hate speech legislation to occur.
Kenmoria wrote:"For clause g, I suggest adding public property to the list, seeing as some of the most important buildings in society: schools, hospitals and fire stations, are publicly-owned."

Will do.
Christian Democrats wrote:The natural law reference is awkward, and I can't think of any natural law philosophers who endorse freedom of speech per se. I would prefer a resolution that categorically prohibits international restrictions on speech and that simultaneously prohibits the worst kinds of national restrictions.

I'll amend the preamble.

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:I would like to see member states have the right to restrict hate speech without the requirement that an expression of hate speech be, in and of itself, a threat to civil order or an incitement to violence. I think it's pretty clear that widespread hate speech increases the risk of violence and other negative outcomes even where that can't be attributed to any individual piece of expression.

We believe that this is a matter for future legislation to deal with. Our bill permits future hate speech legislation to occur.

I'm not so sure that it does. Your bill would prevent the government from placing any hindrance on free expression outside the scope of specified exemptions. If a later proposal tries to allow greater restriction of hate speech will it not be ruled illegal for contradicting your bill?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:52 pm

"2c, protecting civil order sounds rather vague and looks as though it could be easily used to suppress dissent against characteristics of society."
My pronouns are he/him.

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:34 am

United Massachusetts wrote:"defamation" as any exercise of expression which seeks to maliciously injure the reputation of another individual, group, or organisation, on the basis of false information, and excluding satire

I'd like to ask about defamation. Suppose that a newspaper carries an opinion piece which sets out some facts about the President's speeches, policies and conduct that are not in dispute and then goes on to assert in strong terms that because of these facts the President is incompetent, immoral, opportunistic, undignified and a stain on the integrity of the nation. The tone of the article is clearly malicious and it clearly intends to injure the reputation of the President. Does your proposal allow the President to take action against the author?

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:39 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:We believe that this is a matter for future legislation to deal with. Our bill permits future hate speech legislation to occur.

I'm not so sure that it does. Your bill would prevent the government from placing any hindrance on free expression outside the scope of specified exemptions. If a later proposal tries to allow greater restriction of hate speech will it not be ruled illegal for contradicting your bill?

Read and weep :P

Prohibits member states from hindering the right of individuals to free expression, excepting the restrictions established in section 2, and restrictions required to fulfill the mandates of WA legislation, or restrictions permitted in future, unrepealed WA legislation,

Kenmoria wrote:"2c, protecting civil order sounds rather vague and looks as though it could be easily used to suppress dissent against characteristics of society."

I'll change that.

Uan aa Boa wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:"defamation" as any exercise of expression which seeks to maliciously injure the reputation of another individual, group, or organisation, on the basis of false information, and excluding satire

I'd like to ask about defamation. Suppose that a newspaper carries an opinion piece which sets out some facts about the President's speeches, policies and conduct that are not in dispute and then goes on to assert in strong terms that because of these facts the President is incompetent, immoral, opportunistic, undignified and a stain on the integrity of the nation. The tone of the article is clearly malicious and it clearly intends to injure the reputation of the President. Does your proposal allow the President to take action against the author?

Emphasis mine.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:The natural law reference is awkward, and I can't think of any natural law philosophers who endorse freedom of speech per se.

I somehow, agree with CD again. However that is, this.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

New Mushroom Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby New Mushroom Kingdom » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Holly has two copies of the proposal on her desk, one older and one showing the current draft's text. After a final spot-check, she stood up to ask the question "I largely agree with the current proposal, even if I preferred certain parts of the original version (e.g prohibition of advocating the overthrow of the state). While free expression does have limits, by and large it is a very important right for a populace. I give a tentative FOR vote on this proposal."
NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Embassy Request Thread NS section of my wiki-thing Questions?
DEFCON 5. Never forget Z-Day. 1/4/13. 'Corporate Police State' fits just as well as the actual WA category.
There are no magic mushrooms in this nation. Seriously.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:01 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:The natural law reference is awkward, and I can't think of any natural law philosophers who endorse freedom of speech per se.

I somehow, agree with CD again. However that is, this.

I have amended the proposal.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:26 am

"The People's Republic of Bananaistan cannot support this proposal. It goes way too far in the exceptions allowed particularly the threat to civil order which could be used to justify any cause for restriction of expression by tyrannical governments. The title could just as easily be "have whatever restrictions of the freedom of expression you want"."

- Ted
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:28 am

Bananaistan wrote:"The People's Republic of Bananaistan cannot support this proposal. It goes way too far in the exceptions allowed particularly the threat to civil order which could be used to justify any cause for restriction of expression by tyrannical governments. The title could just as easily be "have whatever restrictions of the freedom of expression you want"."

- Ted

I disagree. Any reasonable interpretation of this resolution protects peaceful free expression. The original FoE allowed member nations to restrict free expression to prevent "widespread disorder", this of course being "a threat to civil order." In my reading, it doesn't change the longstanding WA policy in this regard.
Last edited by United Massachusetts on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:33 am

Bananaistan wrote:"The People's Republic of Bananaistan cannot support this proposal. It goes way too far in the exceptions allowed particularly the threat to civil order which could be used to justify any cause for restriction of expression by tyrannical governments. The title could just as easily be "have whatever restrictions of the freedom of expression you want"."

- Ted

I disagree. Any reasonable interpretation of this resolution protects peaceful free expression.

"I could imagine a dictatorship deciding that any criticism of "dear leader" is a threat to civil order. Or perhaps a theocracy stating that opinions advancing the cause of women being allowed to drive as a threat to civil order. It's not that hard to think of examples or exceptions which this proposal would allow.

"Widespread disorder =/= a threat to civil order. It's well short as these examples illustrate."

- Ted
Last edited by Bananaistan on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:34 am

- Ted

I disagree. Any reasonable interpretation of this resolution protects peaceful free expression.

(OOC: “Civil order - the form of government of a social organisation”, from the dictionary. If one accepts that protecting something could require banning protests on it, which isn’t that unreasonable, then clause 2c could allow prohibiting criticism of a whole range of organisations, including the government.)
My pronouns are he/him.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:37 am

Kenmoria wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:I disagree. Any reasonable interpretation of this resolution protects peaceful free expression.

(OOC: “Civil order - the form of government of a social organisation”, from the dictionary. If one accepts that protecting something could require banning protests on it, which isn’t that unreasonable, then clause 2c could allow prohibiting criticism of a whole range of organisations, including the government.)

(OOC: Do I have to unsubmit?)

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 am

Kenmoria wrote:(OOC: “Civil order - the form of government of a social organisation”, from the dictionary. If one accepts that protecting something could require banning protests on it, which isn’t that unreasonable, then clause 2c could allow prohibiting criticism of a whole range of organisations, including the government.)

(OOC: Do I have to unsubmit?)

OOC:. Based on 2(g) alone, I sure would. Under this extremely vague definition, calling for the repeal of DMCA could be construed as "a threat to intellectual property" by nations we might otherwise consider reasonable. Use some word like "breach" or "destruction" or "infringement" instead.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 am

Very well. This has been unsubmitted. Worst waste of stamps ever.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:47 am

I have made the appropriate changes and these are reflected in the OP.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives