NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Treatment of the Deceased

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Erithaca
Envoy

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Masurbia wrote:Since the draft is submitted, change the title to say [SUBMITTED].

Ok! I will change it.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:01 am

"Good luck!"
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:12 am

Kenmoria wrote:"Good luck!"

Thanks for all the help! So far, I have 81 approvals.
Last edited by Erithaca on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:23 am, edited 7 times in total.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:36 am

I cannot tell you how excited I am. It looks as if we are going to reach quorum!

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Tue May 01, 2018 10:57 am

Erithaca wrote:I cannot tell you how excited I am. It looks as if we are going to reach quorum!

Oh... I spoke too soon. I failed to reach quorum with over 90 approvals.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 pm

OOC: Why did you change the time requirement in clause 1 back to the ridiculously long one?

Also, sorry I wasn't around for a few days. Life happened.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Wed May 02, 2018 9:23 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Why did you change the time requirement in clause 1 back to the ridiculously long one?

I did some research and found that it takes at most 65 years for a body to decompose. It is fine about you taking a short break from NS.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed May 02, 2018 9:39 am

Erithaca wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Why did you change the time requirement in clause 1 back to the ridiculously long one?

I did some research and found that it takes at most 65 years for a body to decompose. It is fine about you taking a short break from NS.

(OOC: That might be something to fix if you wish to re-draft and submit this again. Most WA species do not have the same decomposure rate as humans, so this should be based on something depended upon circumstances.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu May 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Erithaca wrote:I did some research and found that it takes at most 65 years for a body to decompose.

OOC: Actually it depends very much on the soil type, climate, presence of water, type of coffin (if one was used at all), if the body was embalmed, etc. (We wouldn't have mummies at all if the various factors had no effect.) Still, I've spoken with an undertaker, who said that under most conditions, an unembalmed body will be gone in 30 years. Most Finnish sources I can find, say that the body will have been completely decomposed (you might find some bone fragments and pieces of the coffin) in 10-15 years, which is why, unless living family members renew the "rent" of the gravesite, it can be reclaimed for a new (not related to the previous deceased) occupant in 25 years (and that's more for the peace of mind of the relatives, not because of practical reasons).

I'm fairly sure that how it works in various RL nations varies, based on local conditions and culture, so imposing one single long time on all WA nations, sounds insane. That part should be something left to the nations themselves, perhaps with something like "until such time that decomposition can reasonably be expected to be complete".

Also, would the proposal ban burying family members who died later, in the same gravesite? The clause 2.a. only talks about opening the grave, not burying additional family members.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu May 03, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Fri May 04, 2018 1:53 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Erithaca wrote:I did some research and found that it takes at most 65 years for a body to decompose.

OOC: Actually it depends very much on the soil type, climate, presence of water, type of coffin (if one was used at all), if the body was embalmed, etc. (We wouldn't have mummies at all if the various factors had no effect.) Still, I've spoken with an undertaker, who said that under most conditions, an unembalmed body will be gone in 30 years. Most Finnish sources I can find, say that the body will have been completely decomposed (you might find some bone fragments and pieces of the coffin) in 10-15 years, which is why, unless living family members renew the "rent" of the gravesite, it can be reclaimed for a new (not related to the previous deceased) occupant in 25 years (and that's more for the peace of mind of the relatives, not because of practical reasons).

I'm fairly sure that how it works in various RL nations varies, based on local conditions and culture, so imposing one single long time on all WA nations, sounds insane. That part should be something left to the nations themselves, perhaps with something like "until such time that decomposition can reasonably be expected to be complete".

Also, would the proposal ban burying family members who died later, in the same gravesite? The clause 2.a. only talks about opening the grave, not burying additional family members.

I have added your changes. The draft will be re-submitted.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri May 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Erithaca wrote:I have added your changes. The draft will be re-submitted.

OOC: I would've suggested to wait longer to let other people add comments too...

EDIT: Update your draft in this thread as well.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri May 04, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sat May 05, 2018 6:47 am

Araraukar wrote:
Erithaca wrote:I have added your changes. The draft will be re-submitted.

OOC: I would've suggested to wait longer to let other people add comments too...

To be honest, the draft has been commented on quite a bit. The main reason why it failed to reach quorum was poor campaigning. I will update it in this thread.

Zone 71
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 am

Erithaca wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: I would've suggested to wait longer to let other people add comments too...

To be honest, the draft has been commented on quite a bit. The main reason why it failed to reach quorum was poor campaigning. I will update it in this thread.

I have to agree with Araraukar here. I believe your proposal's failure to reach quorum may be due in part to some unagreeable mandates or assertions. I would recommend waiting before submitting the proposal again, and contacting WA delegates and experienced writers of the GA directly to ask how you can improve the proposal and make it more agreeable to them.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat May 05, 2018 11:01 am

You can bring anything to quorum with a campaign that hits all delegates. The contents of a proposal have no effect on a proposal's being inquorate.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat May 05, 2018 11:53 pm

So I finally looked up your new favorite word. I'm afraid it does not mean what you think it means.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun May 06, 2018 12:14 am

Aclion wrote:So I finally looked up your new favorite word. I'm afraid it does not mean what you think it means.

We refer to the approvals process as quorum. From the proposals page –

As the WA currently has 1,792 Regional Delegates, a proposal needs 108 approvals to achieve quorum.
If you would like to rename what is technically an incorrectly named procedure (unless the quorum process were meant to effectively be preemptive quorum call on a measure, which is somewhat ridiculous, unless you presume something akin to a pre-Reed rule US House of Representatives) please do so. What a better term would be, I do not know. However, quorum still has an adjectival form, quorate meaning 'having a quorum', whose negation makes logical sense given our linguistic context.

Insofar as the use of words in English is not prescribed by a linguistic body, I see no reason to defer to any certain dictionary but for clarity, which in this case, given the logical construction of the word, is already self-evident.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Mon May 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Yet again, I will fail to reach quorum in 17 minutes with 101 approvals. I fell asleep in the early hours of the morning. Manual recruitment is incredibly hard. However, I do think that my proposal definitely has the potential to be passed.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon May 07, 2018 11:34 pm

Erithaca wrote:Yet again, I will fail to reach quorum in 17 minutes with 101 approvals. I fell asleep in the early hours of the morning. Manual recruitment is incredibly hard. However, I do think that my proposal definitely has the potential to be passed.

(OOC: Have you done API recruitment? Also, it could be that there are some problems with the proposal itself that means delegates aren't approving it.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 am

Erithaca wrote:Manual recruitment is incredibly hard.

It really is. I really recommend using API or stamps if you want to bring this to the floor.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue May 08, 2018 10:45 am

"I would place the definition of 5.1 along with the rest of the definitions at the start of the active clauses."
My pronouns are he/him.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Tue May 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"I would place the definition of 5.1 along with the rest of the definitions at the start of the active clauses."

I have moved it.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue May 08, 2018 1:31 pm

"There should be space before “authorises” in clause 7.1"
My pronouns are he/him.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Thu May 10, 2018 10:00 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Erithaca wrote:Manual recruitment is incredibly hard.

It really is. I really recommend using API or stamps if you want to bring this to the floor.

This time round, I will use Auralia's nstg-web. It will take 15 hours to telegram every delegate!
Last edited by Erithaca on Thu May 10, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu May 10, 2018 10:36 am

(OOC: The tag should say [DRAFT] not [SUBMITTED].)
My pronouns are he/him.

New Keam
Attaché

Founded: Jul 01, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby New Keam » Sun May 13, 2018 4:50 am

"Treatment of the Deceased has gone for a vote and failed to pass. I believe that it is time for the WA to move on from this issue, and come back to it once some time passes. That will give time for both the makeup of the WA, which is always shifting, to change and time for people to forget that this legislation failed once. It will also give time for new proposal, that is different from the old".

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives