NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Protecting Freshwater From Manufacturing Bill

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 am

The Zakuvian WA Ambassador rubs the bridge of his nose, slapping his thigh slowly with his copy of 'Historical Zakuvian Pedants'.

"While the Imperial Senate has determined this bill to be so simple to circumvent that it sees no issue in voting for it in principle, I would raise as a matter of record that Section 2 of the provision should read "(based off estimates)", as the 'off of' is a grammatical error."
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46

Insaynitia
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Insaynitia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:49 pm

The Baron of Insaynitia arrives at the conference, taking a seat. The combat plating beneath his brown leather duster is adorned with bullet scuffs and scorch marks, and the faint shape of a compact carbine is shadowed on his back.

"Sorry I'm late. Had a few things to deal with. Came as soon as I could as this affects my people personally." He scratches his beard. "What does this Bill have to say about those of us in the Wastelands? There's no fresh water to speak of there. It's all irradiated from the War. Our manufacturers aren't hurting anything by dumping the radiation out when we scrub the water clean. We can't dump the fresh water back into the rivers because it'll get irradiated again. There's no way for us to store the waste because the entirety of our world is irradiated, and we simply cannot conjure the resources. The best thing we can do in our position is suck up the green water, dump the rads back into the river, and bottle up the output." He pauses. "Also, our industry cools our parts with the unpurified dirty water. If we take in impure water and dump hot impure water, where would this Bill have us?"

The of Japan
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The of Japan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:41 pm

The Diplomat Inojō wipes his brow and reads:
“The of Japan will not support such a bill that mandates regulation. It sounds good on paper, but The of Japan will make its own environmental regulation that is not mandated on us by the World assembly”
Last edited by The of Japan on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Communist and Internationalist

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:20 am

Zakuvia wrote:The Zakuvian WA Ambassador rubs the bridge of his nose, slapping his thigh slowly with his copy of 'Historical Zakuvian Pedants'.

"While the Imperial Senate has determined this bill to be so simple to circumvent that it sees no issue in voting for it in principle, I would raise as a matter of record that Section 2 of the provision should read "(based off estimates)", as the 'off of' is a grammatical error."

"Technically, it is correct, though it is extremely klunky and could be better worded."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rovikstead » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:04 am

OOC: Despite what I said previously, I will continue to work on this bill if (and likely when) it fails. Currently, there are 7,223 "for" votes (40.1% of votes), and 10,808 "against" votes (59.9% of votes). I feel confident that, by continuing to read and incorporate new ideas and views into future drafts, and work directly with regions heavily involved in the World Assembly, I can make a new proposal that efficiently addresses the dangers of the over-consumption of water by the manufacturing industry while being very clear and specific rather than vague and confusing, being agreeable with the various different nations of the WA, not acting to the detriment of nations' economies, and not impeding too greatly upon nations' independent sovereignty.
Author of Convention on International Oil Spills, A Convention on Freshwater Shortages
Co-Author of Reducing Food Waste
Former Minister of Culture in TEP
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:** RED FLAG ** . ** RING CHURCH BELLS ** . ** BESTIALITY ALERT ** . ** CHRISTIANS TAKE COVER **

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 am

Rovikstead wrote:OOC: Despite what I said previously, I will continue to work on this bill if (and likely when) it fails.

OOC: You can start a new draft thread already. This thread will eventually be archived, whether the proposal fails or passes.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rovikstead » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:44 am

Araraukar wrote:
Rovikstead wrote:OOC: Despite what I said previously, I will continue to work on this bill if (and likely when) it fails.

OOC: You can start a new draft thread already. This thread will eventually be archived, whether the proposal fails or passes.

OOC: Thanks for telling me. I forgot about how these voting threads will be archived. After this proposal inevitably fails, I will create a new drafting thread.
Author of Convention on International Oil Spills, A Convention on Freshwater Shortages
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:** RED FLAG ** . ** RING CHURCH BELLS ** . ** BESTIALITY ALERT ** . ** CHRISTIANS TAKE COVER **

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:53 am

OOC: Also, rather than "work directly with regions heavily involved in the World Assembly", I'd suggest continuing to work on it here.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Wolf state
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolf state » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:45 am

"i like the idea but i will loose lots of money i will reject that unless you pay me in bitcoins i will not accept"
Last edited by Wolf state on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:13 pm

Wolf state wrote:"i like the idea but i will loose lots of money i will reject that unless you pay me in bitcoins i will not accept"

"In my opinion, environmental benefits are worth the monetary losses."
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Insaynitia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Insaynitia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Rovikstead wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: You can start a new draft thread already. This thread will eventually be archived, whether the proposal fails or passes.

OOC: Thanks for telling me. I forgot about how these voting threads will be archived. After this proposal inevitably fails, I will create a new drafting thread.

The Baron chuckles. "I understand your merits. I'd vote if it were effective. Perhaps next time. The thing around here with all these nations in all these dimensions is you have to take all things into account, even those places where water may not even exist. It's all fantasy when it comes to nations here. It's nigh impossible to predict what other nations need. So is politics in the real world..." He takes a long drag of a cigar and chases it with a Quantum. "I understand you'd at least take the Insani point of view into account as well, eh?"

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:31 pm

Insaynitia wrote:
Rovikstead wrote:

The Baron chuckles. "I understand your merits. I'd vote if it were effective. Perhaps next time. The thing around here with all these nations in all these dimensions is you have to take all things into account, even those places where water may not even exist. It's all fantasy when it comes to nations here. It's nigh impossible to predict what other nations need. So is politics in the real world..." He takes a long drag of a cigar and chases it with a Quantum. "I understand you'd at least take the Insani point of view into account as well, eh?"

(OOC: The comment you responded to was OOC, which means that an IC ambassador wouldn't be able to hear and, if they're responded, would just be talking to air. This means that any OOC comment must always be responded to in OOC.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Fronimith
Civilian

Founded: Mar 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fronimith » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:58 pm

Least importantly, This would also help with tourism.

More importantly:
Chemicals and other minuscule particles such bacteria have the potential to increase illness in filtered water, depending on how well the water was filtered. As for those nations who do not have purifiers, this bill would help them out by protected said water.

I would also like to point out that there are certain aquatic species that thrive in freshwater. These species could help with scientific advancements as well as probably public education.

Every citizen also likes to swim at a certain freshwater place as well as a certain saltwater place. Taking those away would make freshwater lakes a bio-hazard from industrial waste.

I know I may be laughed at, ignored, or whatever, but I do know is that I have a few subjects on the matter that I must voice.

Thank you

Insaynitia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Insaynitia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:21 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
Insaynitia wrote:

(OOC: The comment you responded to was OOC, which means that an IC ambassador wouldn't be able to hear and, if they're responded, would just be talking to air. This means that any OOC comment must always be responded to in OOC.)

OOC: It wasnt really a response to the quote, I was hoping that it would notify him for a reply.

Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rovikstead » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:40 pm

Insaynitia wrote:The Baron of Insaynitia arrives at the conference, taking a seat. The combat plating beneath his brown leather duster is adorned with bullet scuffs and scorch marks, and the faint shape of a compact carbine is shadowed on his back.

"Sorry I'm late. Had a few things to deal with. Came as soon as I could as this affects my people personally." He scratches his beard. "What does this Bill have to say about those of us in the Wastelands? There's no fresh water to speak of there. It's all irradiated from the War. Our manufacturers aren't hurting anything by dumping the radiation out when we scrub the water clean. We can't dump the fresh water back into the rivers because it'll get irradiated again. There's no way for us to store the waste because the entirety of our world is irradiated, and we simply cannot conjure the resources. The best thing we can do in our position is suck up the green water, dump the rads back into the river, and bottle up the output." He pauses. "Also, our industry cools our parts with the unpurified dirty water. If we take in impure water and dump hot impure water, where would this Bill have us?"

Ambassador Amelia greets the Baron of Insaynitia by first handing him a draft of the bill and responds "Although this bill is primarily set to apply to industrialized nations, it was designed with the knowledge that the World Assembly is diverse and may have nations that are medieval, futuristic, modern, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, etc. There are some provisions that could benefit your nation especially. For example, clause 4 states that it would allocate "funds from the Joint Water Resources Management Panel to finance efforts to aid nations with reparations and clean-up in the event of an environmental disaster threatening freshwater sources and reserves," which could in effect, benefit your nation by providing financial aid and resources to get greater access to fresh, purified water and provide the tools needed to treat water. Also, regarding your question on using unpurified, dirty water on industrial tools, there would be no problem as long as it is not freshwater and if the water consumed exceeds 30% of your nation's annual water."

Wolf state wrote:"i like the idea but i will loose lots of money i will reject that unless you pay me in bitcoins i will not accept"

High Diplomat Boris' face turns into a puzzled expression. "Erm... 'right then... Thanks fer uh- elaborating why you're against this bill and, sorry, lad, but we're not at liberty ta give you bitcoins." Boris puts away the rest of his champagne in his desk, convinced that the awkward tension in the air was amplified by his modest drinking these past few nights.

Wolf state
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolf state » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Rovikstead wrote:
Insaynitia wrote:The Baron of Insaynitia arrives at the conference, taking a seat. The combat plating beneath his brown leather duster is adorned with bullet scuffs and scorch marks, and the faint shape of a compact carbine is shadowed on his back.

Ambassador Amelia greets the Baron of Insaynitia by first handing him a draft of the bill and responds "Although this bill is primarily set to apply to industrialized nations, it was designed with the knowledge that the World Assembly is diverse and may have nations that are medieval, futuristic, modern, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, etc. There are some provisions that could benefit your nation especially. For example, clause 4 states that it would allocate "funds from the Joint Water Resources Management Panel to finance efforts to aid nations with reparations and clean-up in the event of an environmental disaster threatening freshwater sources and reserves," which could in effect, benefit your nation by providing financial aid and resources to get greater access to fresh, purified water and provide the tools needed to treat water. Also, regarding your question on using unpurified, dirty water on industrial tools, there would be no problem as long as it is not freshwater and if the water consumed exceeds 30% of your nation's annual water."

High Diplomat Boris' face turns into a puzzled expression. "Erm... 'right then... Thanks fer uh- elaborating why you're against this bill and, sorry, lad, but we're not at liberty ta give you bitcoins." Boris puts away the rest of his champagne in his desk, convinced that the awkward tension in the air was amplified by his modest drinking these past few nights.

wolfen would chuckle "you only have one day left (1hr) and you are loosing you want to know why? because we don't need a person to say what we can put in our sea i like the idea of the health but i also like the idea of money you are not giving it then im done here" wolfen would get up after drinking the last bit of water he had when he first started this meeting "we are done here goodbye" he would leave in fustration that people can even think of making him pay more money to go around the fresh water just because they say so

Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rovikstead » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Wolf state wrote:
Rovikstead wrote:

wolfen would chuckle "you only have one day left (1hr) and you are loosing you want to know why? because we don't need a person to say what we can put in our sea i like the idea of the health but i also like the idea of money you are not giving it then im done here" wolfen would get up after drinking the last bit of water he had when he first started this meeting "we are done here goodbye" he would leave in fustration that people can even think of making him pay more money to go around the fresh water just because they say so

Ambassador Amelia covers Boris' mouth before he could sputter another ridiculous, petty reply towards the ambassador of Wolf state and responds "Ignoring the condescending and grammatically incorrect nature of your remarks, Boris and I would agree that you have grossly butchered the intentions and actions of this proposal. Furthermore, your comments are evidence of your lack of knowledge on the topic of the manufacturing industry and its effects on freshwater resources, and of the functions and purposes of the WA. This bill was submitted with the inte-"
Before Amelia could continue with her long-winded response to the ambassador, Boris recognizes the futility of elaborating any further. He gestures at her to stop, and begins to wave good bye towards the ambassador of Wolf state as he walks towards the door without any concern for what Amelia has to say. "G'bye yer royal highness, " Boris says in a petty, sarcastic tone and chuckles to himself.
He looks back at Amelia. "What a character, yeah?"
Last edited by Rovikstead on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf state
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolf state » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Rovikstead wrote:
Wolf state wrote:

Ambassador Amelia covers Boris' mouth before he could sputter another ridiculous, petty reply towards the ambassador of Wolf state and responds "Ignoring the condescending and grammatically incorrect nature of your remarks, Boris and I would agree that you have grossly butchered the intentions and actions of this proposal. Furthermore, your comments are evidence of your lack of knowledge on the topic of the manufacturing industry and its effects on freshwater resources, and of the functions and purposes of the WA. This bill was submitted with the inte-"
Before Amelia could continue with her long-winded response to the ambassador, Boris recognizes the futility of elaborating any further. He gestures at her to stop, and begins to wave good bye towards the ambassador of Wolf state as he walks towards the door without any concern for what Amelia has to say. "G'bye yer royal highness, " Boris says in a petty, sarcastic tone and chuckles to himself.
He looks back at Amelia. "What a character, yeah?"

he would hear him before door shut and when it shut he laughed whale he walked out of building

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:06 pm

"Protecting Freshwater from Manufacturing Bill" was defeated 11,215 votes to 8,341.

OOC: Better luck next time. EDIT: And I hope you expand from Manufacturing to All Businesses with your next try.
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insaynitia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Insaynitia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Rovikstead wrote:Ambassador Amelia greets the Baron of Insaynitia by first handing him a draft of the bill and responds "Although this bill is primarily set to apply to industrialized nations, it was designed with the knowledge that the World Assembly is diverse and may have nations that are medieval, futuristic, modern, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, etc. There are some provisions that could benefit your nation especially. For example, clause 4 states that it would allocate "funds from the Joint Water Resources Management Panel to finance efforts to aid nations with reparations and clean-up in the event of an environmental disaster threatening freshwater sources and reserves," which could in effect, benefit your nation by providing financial aid and resources to get greater access to fresh, purified water and provide the tools needed to treat water. Also, regarding your question on using unpurified, dirty water on industrial tools, there would be no problem as long as it is not freshwater and if the water consumed exceeds 30% of your nation's annual water."
[/quote]
The Baron nods, scanning over the bill. "I see..." He takes a few moments to read, rapping on the conference table with his left hand. "I'd like to add that, while Insaynitia does welcome the prospect of ample fresh water... We have a few... enemies." He puts down the paper. "A few nations within the WA might utilize this to cause us harm. If this bill passes and we indeed become flooded with pure, clean water, some hostile nations within our region may become a bit more... hostile. Perhaps the bill could add in something along the lines of: 'if the receiving nation consents to aid...' or some mention that they can alter the amount of aid received to a point? Of course I'm not saying nations should ask for more, but instead allow them to reduce the aid received or decline entirely." He scratches his stubble. "Also perhaps we should consider whether or not a nation may be gaming the system, and not permit freshwater export from the nation receiving aid. That way we can ensure that the bill may not be abused in any way to bolster nations willing to parch their citizenry for a quick buck."

Saheda
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

fresh water vs polluted

Postby Saheda » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:47 am

You would think that with the high taxes that are enacted, we should have enough to clean up the industries. If you don't think so, then consider a carbon and waste tax. Otherwise we face higher mortality rates, especially among infants and children.[nation]Saheda[
Last edited by Saheda on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:53 am

I think it's much more reasonable to look at this question in a model of Pigouvian taxes. Disincentivise the things that you don't like and correct the negative consumption externalities.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives