NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Marriage Blocker

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:28 am

Twilight Imperium wrote:OOC: Also, WA resolutions are only binding on WA members, so if you don't want that you can leave? It's 100% voluntary. :eyebrow:

OOC: ^This.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 am

FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever wrote:The only resolutions we will approve are ones that protect individual rights FROM the overreach of governments.

For example, a resolution stating: "No NationState member shall be allowed to legislate on matters of personal relationships" would immediately gain our vote.

"I'm not sure who you are, since you are not an ambassador, but I do not believe your views are in any way compatible with an international legislative body made up of member nations." Blackbourne informs. "The World Assembly was created by and for nations, not anarchist communes, and I don't think you'll find any sympathy here."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Webhendge
Civilian

Founded: Feb 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Webhendge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 am

Whilst i agree the grammar in the bill is indeed rather confusing, the subject matter which the bills attempts to write about should really be the main focus rather than the afore mentioned issues. I think it would be rather interesting to be able to legislate independently on issues real world governments deal with. I think it would be interesting to see how some nations would legislate. :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:37 am

Webhendge wrote:Whilst i agree the grammar in the bill is indeed rather confusing, the subject matter which the bills attempts to write about should really be the main focus rather than the afore mentioned issues. I think it would be rather interesting to be able to legislate independently on issues real world governments deal with. I think it would be interesting to see how some nations would legislate. :)

You have a fair point, and I'd agree to a degree that the legalistic approach does somewhat discourage WA participation, and could even be argued to be elitist.

However, I'd also assert that when a proposal is going to enter the permanent legislation of the World Assembly, it is absolutely vital that it exist within that permanent record in the accepted format and style, as this allows for clear legal interpretation and strengthens the WA as a whole.

For that reason, I consider it important for WA members to demand high levels of clarity, correct spelling and grammar, and properly formed proposals. To be legalistic is absolutely an appropriate approach when dealing with a body of international law.

So while the Archive is delighted and amused by the less literate antics of many WA newcomers, we as a nation cannot support or condone any proposal that is presented anything less than 100% professionally.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Clean Land
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Clean Land » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:18 pm

It seems that the majority of the nations(although the support might have been higher with another format) aren't tired of the marriage debates, then. We already see multiple proposals again... But we will not pursue this further, and rather shift our attention to the next matter we will try to legislate on. More on this will follow shortly, somewhere else.

Bismarck und Schoenhausen
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bismarck und Schoenhausen » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:31 pm

Imperial Polk County wrote:
FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever wrote:For example, a resolution stating: "No NationState member shall be allowed to legislate on matters of personal relationships" would immediately gain our vote.

"Which would be an illegal blocker. Nice try, though. Here, have a cookie."

"Here have a cookie? What are we, children?"
"Not through speeches and majority decisions will the great questions of the day be decided—that was the great mistake of 1848 and 1849—but by iron and blood."

Bismarck und Schoenhausen
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bismarck und Schoenhausen » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:36 pm

FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever wrote:Aside from poor writing ability, our reason for opposing this resolution is the following clause:
member states shall be allowed to legislate on the topics of Marriage, personal unions and Civil Unions freely within the boundaries set by this resolution and earlier resolutions

Members should NOT be allowed to legislate personal relationships. Only free individuals have the authority to determine the nature and social recognition of a marriage, partnership, or other union.

Bismarck replies, "As you are an anarchist commune, you should be treated as such." Bismarck, realizing some may not know what he means by you should be treated as such follows up with, "Meaning, he should promptly be ejected from the World Assembly."
"Not through speeches and majority decisions will the great questions of the day be decided—that was the great mistake of 1848 and 1849—but by iron and blood."

Mombombu
Attaché

Founded: Mar 20, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Mombombu » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:32 pm

I think there should be a bill similar to this, recognizing and guaranteeing the right of every nation to define marriage in the way it seems fit.

That said, the language in this resolution is just....kind of...odd.
I don't think I've ever seen a resolution drafted in this format and it's somewhat confusing what it intends to do.
I think maybe the idea could work in a different resolution but, again, it would need to be reworded and structured differently so that it protects nations' right to decide what marriage is instead of blocking future legislation.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Twilight Imperium » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Clean Land wrote:It seems that the majority of the nations(although the support might have been higher with another format) aren't tired of the marriage debates, then. We already see multiple proposals again... But we will not pursue this further, and rather shift our attention to the next matter we will try to legislate on. More on this will follow shortly, somewhere else.

:roll:

Baptized Believers
Civilian

Founded: Aug 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Frustrated with Marriage issues

Postby Baptized Believers » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:32 pm

I’m am appalled and completely frustrated with all these issues dictating marriage. This is an issue of none importantance on the world stage. We should be discussing Trade, Economics, Security, Human Rights, and etc. not trying to decide who can marry who. Quit wasting the nation’s of the world’s time on this nonesense. This issue is a regional and nation issue, not an issue for bureaucrats to discuss to shove down our throats. We want real debates, right now! Not this hogwash.

FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

blah blah blah

Postby FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:51 pm

Baptized Believers wrote:I’m am appalled and completely frustrated!! blah blah blah i'm angry blah blah
NationStates would be better without moderators policing profanity and other non-violent behavior.

Please visit FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever!

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:53 pm

FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever wrote:
Baptized Believers wrote:I’m am appalled and completely frustrated!! blah blah blah i'm angry blah blah
OOC: What are you even trying to say?
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:35 pm

FreethinkingAnarchists ResidingWherever wrote:

*** Warned for malicious quote editing. ***

B BBBBB BBBBBBBBB BBB
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby B BBBBB BBBBBBBBB BBB » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:55 am

"The only good thing about this shoddily-written resolution... is that it's about to die! Opposed."
Last edited by B BBBBB BBBBBBBBB BBB on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clean Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clean Land » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:28 am

"Marriage Blocker" was defeated 15,176 votes to 2,107.

Didn't pass. We will move to other topics of legislation, then.

Greater Gilead
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Gilead » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:53 am

Clean Land wrote:
"Marriage Blocker" was defeated 15,176 votes to 2,107.

Didn't pass. We will move to other topics of legislation, then.

Please don't. Poor proposals get nowhere.
Before jumping to conclusions, look at my FAQ fact book. FAQ here:FAQ Ask Questions Here
Proudly violating WA resolutions since May 25, 2017! Visit The Republic of Gilead!
( -_- ) My nation does support my political views...deal with it.
"Under His Eye" is a blessing. It's asking God to keep them under His eye.
Deropia wrote:Jason can't help but laugh as the scotch bottle, followed soon after by the pie, fly through the air of the chamber. "Ah, this place may be a mad-house...but its the best damn posting I've ever had...".

The Bible Baptist Republic wrote:Ambassador Conklin reads the proposal, blinks twice, and mutters "There ain't enough whiskey to deal with this crap."

Clean Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Clean Land » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 am

Greater Gilead wrote:
Clean Land wrote:Didn't pass. We will move to other topics of legislation, then.

Please don't. Poor proposals get nowhere.

OOC: I will spend more time drafting that one, at least. I don't want to get a reputation in the WA similar to the one of Keshiland.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:40 pm

88 pc against is pretty strong.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley