NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Repeal "Restrictions On Child Labor"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Albul II
Secretary

Founded: Feb 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Repeal "Restrictions On Child Labor"

Postby Albul II » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:57 am

Category: Repeal

Acknowledging the goal of protecting children in GA Resolution 4,

Noting, however, that the resolution does not allow any enforcement to be placed on nations with a very low age of majority as found through the definition in Article A

Further noting that Article B § 7 can inhibit a child's future by criminalizing working long hours as a minor disregarding any lack of desire to pursue a full-time education,

Confused by the ambiguous regulations which prohibit employment of an undefined minor,

Understanding that the ambiguous regulations can hinder the established goal of protecting children and minors from workplace danger,

Shocked by the effects that these loopholes can have in children of World Assembly nations, thereby tainting the image of the World Assembly,

Hereby repeals GA #4 "Restrictions On Child Labor"
Last edited by Albul II on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Straight 20 year old male
PROUD LIBERTARIAN
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64
Add 1234 to my post count.
Welcome to the Internet
A specter is haunting 'Merika. It is the specter of communism.
NSG Summertime
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

USER WAS DEATED FOR STARTING A REVOLUTION

Manaime
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Manaime » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Albul II wrote:
Category: Repeal

Acknowledging the goal of protecting children in GA Resolution 4,

Noting, however, that the resolution does not allow any enforcement to be placed on nations with a very low age of majority as found through the definition in Article A

Further noting that Article B § 7 can inhibit a child's future by criminalizing working long hours as a minor disregarding any lack of desire to pursue a full-time education,

Confused by the ambiguous regulations which prohibit employment of an undefined minor,

Understanding that the ambiguous regulations can hinder the established goal of protecting children and minors from workplace danger,

Shocked by the effects that these loopholes can have in children of World Assembly nations, thereby tainting the image of the World Assembly,

Hereby repeals GA #4 "Restrictions On Child Labor"

What is Article A? Please abbreviate your explanation.
Ediff-Stok-Kal International AirportEmbassyAir Sr-bi-ji'Tom's Pizza Rolls

██████████████████████████████████

Deropia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Deropia » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:27 pm

GAR 4 'Restrictions on Child Labor' wrote:(A)Defines a 'minor' as a person below the legal age of majority as defined in their nation.

"I think this is what the author is referencing." Jason says, looking over GAR 4 on a small tablet-like device.

"I believe the target resolution was written 'ambiguously' because with so many different species in the WA it would be impossible to set an exact age for the age of majority, given that different species mature at different rates. Besides, I don't think any reasonable nation is going to set their age of majority extremely low for the sole purpose of skirting GAR 4. I mean, if they do they most certainly have more societal woes than just child labor alone."
Last edited by Deropia on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant-Commander Jason MacAlister
Deropian Ambassador to the World Assembly
macalister.j@diplomats.com
Office 1302, 13th Floor, World Assembly Headquarters
Minister of WA Affairs [TNP]
Captain, North Pacific Army Special Forces
Former Speaker of the Regional Assembly [TNP]

Albul II
Secretary

Founded: Feb 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Albul II » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Manaime wrote:

Defines a 'minor' as a person below the legal age of majority as defined in their nation.

So,

NOTING that, under Article A, a minor is defined as a legal age of majority as defined in the nation, allowing nations to circumvent the resolution by lowering the age of majority.
Straight 20 year old male
PROUD LIBERTARIAN
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64
Add 1234 to my post count.
Welcome to the Internet
A specter is haunting 'Merika. It is the specter of communism.
NSG Summertime
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

USER WAS DEATED FOR STARTING A REVOLUTION

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:29 am

Albul II wrote:
Manaime wrote:

Defines a 'minor' as a person below the legal age of majority as defined in their nation.

So,

NOTING that, under Article A, a minor is defined as a legal age of majority as defined in the nation, allowing nations to circumvent the resolution by lowering the age of majority.

OOC: This would not be reasonable. In terms of interpretation of WA Resolutions, it is assumed that the nations that it is addressing are reasonable, and will not circumvent or sabotage the implementation of WA Resolutions in the manner that you are suggesting.

Your argument is wafer thin, and could be used for almost any WA Resolution that uses age of majority, hence why this argument isn't really allowed as the sole foundation of repeals. You will likely need to come up with some far more concrete foundations for your repeal.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:11 am

The New California Republic wrote:Your argument is wafer thin, and could be used for almost any WA Resolution that uses age of majority, hence why this argument isn't really allowed as the sole foundation of repeals. You will likely need to come up with some far more concrete foundations for your repeal.

It's perfectly allowed in terms of rules. It's not natsov only if that's what you're saying. It's just an extremely weak argument as it's not something that can be fixed via legislation and it's not something that nations are likely to abuse because that would mean extending a lot of rights adults have to children.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:28 am

Aclion wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Your argument is wafer thin, and could be used for almost any WA Resolution that uses age of majority, hence why this argument isn't really allowed as the sole foundation of repeals. You will likely need to come up with some far more concrete foundations for your repeal.

It's perfectly allowed in terms of rules. It's not natsov only if that's what you're saying. It's just an extremely weak argument as it's not something that can be fixed via legislation and it's not something that nations are likely to abuse because that would mean extending a lot of rights adults have to children.

OOC: No that is not what I am saying, that is not what I am saying at all. I will need a GenSec member to come along to confirm this, but I believe that intentionally sabotaging the implementation of a Resolution, through facetious or cynical means or interpretations, is something that reasonable nations would not be expected to do. And since most Resolutions are written with reasonable nations in mind, it is unlikely that a reasonable nation would purposefully lower the age of majority, for the sole aim of circumventing the provisions of GA #4...
Last edited by The New California Republic on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:33 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Aclion wrote:It's perfectly allowed in terms of rules. It's not natsov only if that's what you're saying. It's just an extremely weak argument as it's not something that can be fixed via legislation and it's not something that nations are likely to abuse because that would mean extending a lot of rights adults have to children.

OOC: No that is not what I am saying, that is not what I am saying at all. I will need a GenSec member to come along to confirm this, but I believe that intentionally sabotaging the implementation of a Resolution, through facetious or cynical means or interpretations, is something that reasonable nations would not be expected to do. And since most Resolutions are written with reasonable nations in mind, it is unlikely that a reasonable nation would purposefully lower the age of majority, for the sole aim of circumventing the provisions of GA #4...

OOC: The Reasonable Nation Theory holds, in relevant part, that authors need not consider absurd and unreasonable interpretations that, as applied, would cause a nation more harm than benefit. That doesn't mean that such arguments are illegal, merely stupid and not something authors should be expected to accommodate. RNT isn't a hard rule that we can enforce.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:45 am

Albul II wrote:Acknowledging the goal of protecting children in GA Resolution 4,

"Ambassador," Blackbourne explains, "that is because nations which place a low age of majority to include children then grant rights to those children... this typically includes such things as the right to vote, the right to obtain vehicle licenses, the right to purchase controlled substances, et cetera. Clearly, there are significant problems with lowering the age of majority."

"Typically pursuing full time work instead of obtaining a basic education inhibits a child's future, and not the other way around."

"On the whole, I find these arguments weak and unconvincing. Excidium Planetis will therefore not support." Blackbourne concludes.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 am

"I find this poorly written, and with an ulterior motive that I can not in good faith support." Yularen said, stiffly, "Therefore I must oppose"
The Confederal Alliance of Pilarcraft ✺ That world will cease to be
Led by The Triumvirate.
OOC | Military | History |Language | Overview | Parties | Q&A | Factbooks
Proud Civic Persian Nationalist
B.P.D.: Dossier on parallel home-worlds released, will be updated regularly to include more encountered in the Convergence.

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:15 am

Teran Saber: "Opposed. Deropia has already stated why."
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Flowrisa
Diplomat

Founded: May 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Flowrisa » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:26 am

"Opposed." Alexis says simply.
I am a part of the RIA!
I have an interest in the Byzantine Empire.
Flowrisa was founded on May 11th 1454 and declared its independence on May 29th 1453.
Long live the Byzantine Emperor, Ian van Gilze-Rijen!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives