NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Commend Texas"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kylia Quilor
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kylia Quilor » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:34 pm

Good successful passage is good.
Unfocused populism is just as dangerous, if not more so, to an elected government's wellbeing as creeping authoritarianism.
Queen Emeritus of Kantrias
Kylia Basilissa Regina Quilor Anacreoni

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:38 pm

OOC: Why are people so annoyed that this passed? Is it really that important? 'Specially Dras- never seen you talk like that before, I don't understand why Texas deserves a commendation SO MUCH that you speak of "envy"
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Kylia Quilor
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kylia Quilor » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Fauxia wrote:OOC: Why are people so annoyed that this passed? Is it really that important? 'Specially Dras- never seen you talk like that before, I don't understand why Texas deserves a commendation SO MUCH that you speak of "envy"

Because Texas is old and defender? People tend to respect old just because old.
Unfocused populism is just as dangerous, if not more so, to an elected government's wellbeing as creeping authoritarianism.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Fauxia wrote:OOC: Why are people so annoyed that this passed? Is it really that important? 'Specially Dras- never seen you talk like that before, I don't understand why Texas deserves a commendation SO MUCH that you speak of "envy"

Where did I say anything about envy? :eyebrow:

Kylia Quilor wrote:

lol no, that's not why - at least for me.
See You Space Cowboy...

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Drasnia wrote:

Where did I say anything about envy? :eyebrow:
Spite, excuse me: viewtopic.php?p=32518236#p32518236

Kylia Quilor wrote:Because Texas is old and defender? People tend to respect old just because old.

lol no, that's not why - at least for me.
What is then?
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Fauxia wrote:OOC: Why are people so annoyed that this passed?

• I've been using the tools the region created for over a half-decade.
  • Texas is an extremely hospitable region with some of the genuinely nicest nations I've come across.
  • I consider myself an ally of Texas and they've generally have been supportive of me as well.
  • Big Tex has gone out of his way repeatedly to brighten my day, even before I got to know them well.
  • What we consider qualities of a great region were all precedents set by the regions such as Texas.
  • Repealing their Commend feels like retroactively stating that they weren't all that great, when they most certainly deserved the recognition when they received it.

Its mostly personal reasons for me, but I think anyone would be disappointed if a commendation of one of their allies was repealed. I also believe that the content of the repeal's resolution was not the driving motivation for many of the WA's leading votes.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:56 am

Benevolent Thomas wrote:
Fauxia wrote:OOC: Why are people so annoyed that this passed?

• Texas is an extremely hospitable region with some of the genuinely nicest nations I've come across.
  • I consider myself an ally of Texas and they've generally have been supportive of me as well.
  • Big Tex has gone out of his way repeatedly to brighten my day, even before I got to know them well.
  • What we consider qualities of a great region were all precedents set by the regions such as Texas.
  • Repealing their Commend feels like retroactively stating that they weren't all that great, when they most certainly deserved the recognition when they received it.

Its mostly personal reasons for me, but I think anyone would be disappointed if a commendation of one of their allies was repealed. I also believe that the content of the repeal's resolution was not the driving motivation for many of the WA's leading votes.
This is the thing: the tools (I believe) were created by NewTexas. Almost all of this applies only to NewTexas, and being hospitable doesn't cut it.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:15 am

Commendations set an example for other regions to follow, but this repeal used the fact that Texas's practices are now widespread to argue that the region isn't special. It's an unfortunate precedent to set.

Kylia Quilor wrote:

I don't believe commendations have an expiration date.
Last edited by Aclion on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Kylia Quilor
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kylia Quilor » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:50 am

I didn't support the repeal because it was old. I said people are so bitter about the repeal passing because its old.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:48 am

Fauxia wrote:
Benevolent Thomas wrote:

This is the thing: the tools (I believe) were created by NewTexas. Almost all of this applies only to NewTexas, and being hospitable doesn't cut it.

Thing is, he was commended after Commend Texas. Commend Texas was the original - the OG. If they should only have one commend, then NewTex's should have been repealed, not Texas'. (And btw, I disagree with repealing that one too)
See You Space Cowboy...

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:11 am

Drasnia wrote:
Fauxia wrote:This is the thing: the tools (I believe) were created by NewTexas. Almost all of this applies only to NewTexas, and being hospitable doesn't cut it.

Thing is, he was commended after Commend Texas. Commend Texas was the original - the OG. If they should only have one commend, then NewTex's should have been repealed, not Texas'. (And btw, I disagree with repealing that one too)

This logic perpetually confuses me. I don't see any particular reason for NT's to be repealed, besides perhaps a repeal and replace to fix some of the "meh" wordings. His is overall pretty damn appropriate. Half this proposal focuses on "these things are probably commend worthy, but the problem is that they're about an individual, not the region as a whole." Which one is older is irrelevant to that argument. The argument concerns which is more appropriate, and a nation commendation is more appropriate to recognize the achievements of a single nation than a regional commendation.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives