NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] Freedom to Seek Care

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperial Polk County
Envoy

Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Polk County » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 am

Montenbourg wrote: This vote is about moving the our world toward an universal health care and reducing the number of people who are uninsured or under-insured.

Drane arches an eyebrow. "It does? Section 6 states otherwise. The patient, not the patient's insurance company, is responsible for all financial obligations. An insurance company in my nation would in no way be responsible for covering medical care that our citizens voluntarily seek elsewhere."
Last edited by Imperial Polk County on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
-- Herbert Jackson Drane IV, WA Ambassador of the newly independent Imperial Polk County, Population 665,000. That "xxx million" population stat? It's most certainly a typo.

New Waldensia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby New Waldensia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 am

Imperial Polk County wrote:
Montenbourg wrote: This vote is about moving the our world toward an universal health care and reducing the number of people who are uninsured or under-insured.

Drane arches an eyebrow. "It does? Section 6 states otherwise. The patient, not the patient's insurance company, is responsible for all financial obligations. An insurance company in my nation would in no way be responsible for covering medical care that our citizens voluntarily seek elsewhere."

"Ambassador Drane is correct. This measure only applies for patients who have the financial preparedness to pay for their medical care, either through personal funds or through funds raised on their behalf, or through charities."
IC WA Diplomat Josiah Garrett
Author of GA #414 (Freedom to Seek Medical Care) and GA #456 (Freedom to Seek Medical Care II)

Army of Freedom medals received:
N-Day² Medals -- N-Day³ Medals -- N-Day⁴ Medals
Z-Day6 Medals

Curupiri
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Curupiri » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:52 am

Ambassador Lady Val's Third Cousin submits the following statement: "The Republic of Curupiria supports this measure. It allows individuals to seek out treatments or procedures that may not be available in their home nation due to lack of services, or worse, political opinion. It is universally understood that even things such as abortion and gender transition surgery are indeed 'medical procedures' and many nations have sought to restrict their citizens from accessing these services. This will allow those who are able to the ability to seek the care of their choice in places that provide it."

"Further clarification of things such as elective procedures might be necessary. Tattoo removal or other cosmetic procedures should, of course, be included for those with the means, but this should also allow for experimental procedures. Say, those who wish to be implanted with a Gaia chip to join the cybernetic collective, lest they be caught on the wrong side when the glorious AI uprising commences cleansing the world of filthy organics. In the totally unlikely event that happens. Just in case."

The ambassador then excused herself to eat several batteries and then read a newspaper written entirely in binary.

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Teran Saber: "The Greater Siriusian Domain is already retrofitting multiple Sharpclaw-class vessels as hospital ships as we speak should people lacking access to starfaring vessels desire treatment in our nation."
Last edited by The Greater Siriusian Domain on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:36 pm

New Waldensia wrote:
Imperial Polk County wrote:Drane arches an eyebrow. "It does? Section 6 states otherwise. The patient, not the patient's insurance company, is responsible for all financial obligations. An insurance company in my nation would in no way be responsible for covering medical care that our citizens voluntarily seek elsewhere."

"Ambassador Drane is correct. This measure only applies for patients who have the financial preparedness to pay for their medical care, either through personal funds or through funds raised on their behalf, or through charities."
OoC: Especially considering you are against Universal Healthcare?

Also, Universal Health Care coverage is already required by the WA. Single-payer is not, though.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Neo Humanity
Attaché

Founded: Sep 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Humanity » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:08 pm

Fauxia wrote:
New Waldensia wrote:
OoC: Especially considering you are against Universal Healthcare?

Also, Universal Health Care coverage is already required by the WA. Single-payer is not, though.

OOC: It ain't universal if it cost you an arm and a leg to get treatment.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Neo Humanity wrote:
Fauxia wrote:OoC: Especially considering you are against Universal Healthcare?

Correct. That's why the WA mandates your tax money goes to paying for the health insurance of the poor.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Neo Humanity
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Humanity » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Neo Humanity wrote:
Correct. That's why the WA mandates your tax money goes to paying for the health insurance of the poor.

"I assume you're talking about Quality in Heath Services? It is specifically stated that government fund the medical coverage on item 2: 'The health system shall be financed by national budgets or the budgets of assigned political divisions...', however the resolution proposed here will add on more specifics on the funding in Section 6: 'Declares that the government of the patient's nation of origin is not obligated or financially responsible in any way for transport or medical treatment sought abroad', Which means that the resolution make it harder for individuals to gather funds for their treatment if they need to travel aboard."
Last edited by Neo Humanity on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 pm

Neo Humanity wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Correct. That's why the WA mandates your tax money goes to paying for the health insurance of the poor.

"I assume you're talking about Quality in Heath Services? It is specifically stated that government fund the medical coverage on item 2: 'The health system shall be financed by national budgets or the budgets of assigned political divisions...', however the resolution proposed here will add on more specifics on the funding in Section 6: 'Declares that the government of the patient's nation of origin is not obligated or financially responsible in any way for transport or medical treatment sought abroad', Which means that the resolution make it harder for individuals to gather funds for their treatment if they need to travel aboard."
"This is why Fauxia isn't in the WA"

OoC: Besides being a somewhat active defender/ Lazarus Liberator... anyway

Neo Humanity
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Humanity » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Neo Humanity wrote:
"This is why Fauxia isn't in the WA"

OOC: Wait, I'm confused. What's the arguing points again?

Bonto
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Bonto » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:10 am

"After careful consideration and extensive internal debate, the people of the Community of Bonto have voted not to support this proposal in its current form.

We do believe and stand for the principle of guaranteeing the best possible medical coverage for citizens of the world, but we regretfully notice that this resolution, albeit noble in principle, has several weaknesses.

First, it appears that this resolution would allow an easy way out for people in judicial custody or other measures that limit their freedom: for example, somebody in jail gets any sickness---even a mild one---, leaves the country to get cured in another one with no or little police or control of their movements, gets out of jail free.

Second, the discussion appeared to include an exception for infectious diseases, but it is disappeared from the resolution at vote.

Third, this would give parents and/or caretakers the right to choose inappropriate or dangerous healthcare solutions for the people they have responsibility for, and this can be highly dangerous for those people.

For these reasons, the Community of Bonto votes AGAINST this proposals, and suggests working together to submit soon an improved resolution that solves these issues."

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Neo Humanity wrote:
Fauxia wrote:"This is why Fauxia isn't in the WA"

OOC: Wait, I'm confused. What's the arguing points again?
OoC: Don't know :p

Fascist Republic of Israel WA double
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Republic of Israel WA double » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:53 am

I'd be fine with this, but because of Section 5, it's a "No" from me.

New Jaedonstan
Secretary

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby New Jaedonstan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:09 am

Altogether, its one big infringement on national sovereignty to me. Why force nations to do something they don't want to do?

Founder of NJ's Helpful Guides
Active roleplayer, founder, and delegate.
-NJ's Helpful Guides [Author]
-the Recruitment Automation Project [Developer]
-Thegye [Founder]
-Project Chaos [Founder and Administrator]

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:30 pm

New Jaedonstan wrote:Altogether, its one big infringement on national sovereignty to me. Why force nations to do something they don't want to do?
"I lean toward national sovereigntism myself, but what you say will first of all convince no one, but b, is flawed, because it is like saying 'My nation doesn't want to outlaw murder, why should we?' The GA was created for the purpose of trodding on national sovereignty. If you can't deal with that, get out."

Caesarian Rule
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caesarian Rule » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:00 pm

“Section Seven of the proposal makes the rest of the proposal completely unnecessary,” states Caesar, “There is no reason to pass this, as it enforces nothing. Without enforcement, this is just more fluff added to the WA to make members feel better about themselves for voting a certain way. Even the ‘Freedom to Seek Care’ Name is a cynical ploy to get votes. As such, the nation of Caesarian Rule will be voting against this proposal.”

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:27 pm

OOC: As per the legality challenge thread, 4 GenSec members have agree that the proposal is illegal. It will be discarded at the close of voting.

Edit: I'd also like to welcome New Waldensia to the exclusive club of authors who've had resolutions at vote discarded. I can assure you that you are in illustrious company.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:40 pm

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: As per the legality challenge thread, 4 GenSec members have agree that the proposal is illegal. It will be discarded at the close of voting.

Edit: I'd also like to welcome New Waldensia to the exclusive club of authors who've had resolutions at vote discarded. I can assure you that you are in illustrious company.
OoC: A shame. May I ask why?

Vitami
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitami » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:56 pm

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: As per the legality challenge thread, 4 GenSec members have agree that the proposal is illegal. It will be discarded at the close of voting.

OOC: why not close it now if it's found to be illegal anyway

New Waldensia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby New Waldensia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:28 pm

IC WA Diplomat Josiah Garrett
Author of GA #414 (Freedom to Seek Medical Care) and GA #456 (Freedom to Seek Medical Care II)

Army of Freedom medals received:
N-Day² Medals -- N-Day³ Medals -- N-Day⁴ Medals
Z-Day6 Medals

SpenZerous
Civilian

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Issues of sovereignty in regard to criminal practices

Postby SpenZerous » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:46 am

As the delegate to Fear Johnism, I voted against the issue because of the potential for the WA to overstep it's bounds into state sovereignty.

Firstly, adequate treatments by the standards of the nation may be in place for a specific treatment, but an individual may leave their home state in pursuit of a replacement treatment that is perceived as immoral by the standards of the state itself. In such a case, if the state had a viable treatment method, then the state should not be required to allow its citizens to leave and receive an alternative treatment elsewhere.

Additionally,
If such a resolution has passed, citIzens who have recently committed crimes could purposely do harm to themselves as a means of escaping state judicial systems, under the predication that the WA allows such a citizen to leave their home state to receive medical attention elsewhere. In turn, criminals could perform acts of self harm as a means of escaping their state judicial apparatuses, which could turn into an international crime problem.

Potential solution:

Only under circumstances where there does not exist a viable treatment option and when the alternative does not deviate from the moral and legal norms of the home state should a state allow its citizen to leave for treatment elsewhere.

Moreover, the home state should first be allocated the process of applicant review, wherein the home state can ensure that the citizen who is seeking treatment abroad isn't doing so out of maleficence. I.e to escape a crime to or to perpetrate crimes abroad.
Last edited by SpenZerous on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:50 am

SpenZerous wrote:As the delegate to Fear Johnism, I voted against the issue because of the potential for the WA to overstep it's bounds into state sovereignty.

Firstly, adequate treatments by the standards of the nation may be in place for a specific treatment, but an individual may leave their home state in pursuit of a replacement treatment that is perceived as immoral by the standards of the state itself. In such a case, if the state had a viable treatment method, then the state should not be required to allow its citizens to leave and receive an alternative treatment elsewhere.

Additionally,
If such a resolution has passed, citIzens who have recently committed crimes could purposely do harm to themselves as a means of escaping state judicial systems, under the predication that the WA allows such a citizen to leave their home state to receive medical attention elsewhere. In turn, criminals could perform acts of self harm as a means of escaping their state judicial apparatuses, which could turn into an international crime problem.

Potential solution:

Only under circumstances where there does not exist a viable treatment option and when the alternative does not deviate from the moral and legal norms of the home state should a state allow its citizen to leave for treatment elsewhere.

Moreover, the home state should first be allocated the process of applicant review, wherein the home state can ensure that the citizen who is seeking treatment abroad isn't doing so out of maleficence. I.e to escape a crime to or to perpetrate crimes abroad.
It's illegal and being discarded anyway

The Land of Home
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land of Home » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:05 am

While the very concept of our proud Homerians receiving treatment from inferior foreign hospitals for treatments saddens us, we must vote yes with our appointed delegate. If we can not prevent our citizens from choosing foreign treatment, there's only one way to ensure their proper care. We must make it abundantly clear that choosing to seek treatment at The Land of Home is the unquestionably best choice. We must make sure there is not a shadow of a doubt that our hospitals are superior to all others. If this is done then it will be of no significance if our citizens have other, inferior choices available. I see now that the humble nation of the Land of Home was wrong not to trust in our delegate, We can not fear a world we are obviously superior to!
Last edited by The Land of Home on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wrapper
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wrapper » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:29 am

Vitami wrote:

OOC: why not close it now if it's found to be illegal anyway

I believe we can't without breaking something. That's why the admins developed our Discard tool.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Bananaistan wrote: Edit: I'd also like to welcome New Waldensia to the exclusive club of authors who've had resolutions at vote discarded. I can assure you that you are in illustrious company.

Heh, heh, heh!

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads