NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Ban on Secret Treaties

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Elsie: I don't think you understand how definitions work. When the law does what the law says, that doesn't mean that it does anything beyond what the law says. Otherwise, it would be a very strange world, how these invisible clauses keep popping in out of nowhere. Perhaps that is what your world appears to you, Ambassador. If that is the case, please tell me exactly what you are smoking – Military Intelligence may want to test it for merits in interrogations.
"I think the joke does throw the legislation off, but the law is what the law is what the law is. Legal? Yes. Good legislation? Probably not."

IA, by "weapons and felines" shouldn't that be "agreements by multiple governments involving weapons and felines?" Otherwise, it may be illegal due to category violation.
Last edited by Fauxia on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Holy shit. 'Secret treaty' is not used in the proposal outside its definition. The definition explicitly excludes pluralisations. The definition literally does not mean anything.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:01 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Holy shit. 'Secret treaty' is not used in the proposal outside its definition. The definition explicitly excludes pluralisations. The definition literally does not mean anything.
Oh. Yikes :?
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Elsie: I don't think you understand how definitions work. When the law does what the law says, that doesn't mean that it does anything beyond what the law says. Otherwise, it would be a very strange world, how these invisible clauses keep popping in out of nowhere. Perhaps that is what your world appears to you, Ambassador. If that is the case, please tell me exactly what you are smoking – Military Intelligence may want to test it for merits in interrogations.

Elsie, darling, I have a doctorate in law and a Masters in public and international law (OOC: I have a Bachelors degree in law, and I'm about to begin a Masters in international human rights and humanitarian law), so I can speak very authoritatively when I say this is rubbish. The definition clause doesn't actually fulfill the point of a definition, and the Committee's name is ungrammatical. Further, your statement above shows how woefully uneducated you are about the law. Of course a law can do things beyond what the written words say - have you ever heard of statutory construction dear?
I'm tempted to challenge this as bloody stupid or a joke (or both)
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Thyerata wrote:I'm tempted to challenge this as bloody stupid or a joke (or both)

OOC: Go ahead. It's been challenged on multiple fronts. Also, this is the GA. The law does what the law says. If you don't like that, fine, find a different game to play. Also, if you have taken the liberty to actually look at the rules you constantly keep throwing up in everyone's face like a bloody filibuster, there isn't a bloody stupid rule.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Thyerata wrote:I'm tempted to challenge this as bloody stupid or a joke (or both)

OOC: Go ahead. It's been challenged on multiple fronts. Also, this is the GA. The law does what the law says. If you don't like that, fine, find a different game to play. Also, if you have taken the liberty to actually look at the rules you constantly keep throwing up in everyone's face like a bloody filibuster, there isn't a bloody stupid rule.

Darling, the law may do what it says on the page, but it can also be reinterpreted to do, or mean, more than that. If it weren't for statutory construction we wouldn't have that erroneous GenSec precedent that says "no peacekeeping missions because of GAR2 clause 10.
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Thyerata wrote:Darling, the law may do what it says on the page, but it can also be reinterpreted to do, or mean, more than that. If it weren't for statutory construction we wouldn't have that erroneous GenSec precedent that says "no peacekeeping missions because of GAR2 clause 10.

But sweeting, even in section 6 of the Interpretation Act 1978, it states in the body of section 6, the phrase 'unless the contrary intention appears', which just happens to be here the case. The structure of the definitions clause states something very clearly and very precisely. Try interpreting it differently.

EDIT: Responding to the below post as well – along with the one above - if you want to challenge it, challenge it. Go ahead.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Thyerata wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:OOC: Go ahead. It's been challenged on multiple fronts. Also, this is the GA. The law does what the law says. If you don't like that, fine, find a different game to play. Also, if you have taken the liberty to actually look at the rules you constantly keep throwing up in everyone's face like a bloody filibuster, there isn't a bloody stupid rule.

Darling, the law may do what it says on the page, but it can also be reinterpreted to do, or mean, more than that. If it weren't for statutory construction we wouldn't have that erroneous GenSec precedent that says "no peacekeeping missions because of GAR2 clause 10.
First of all, you just responded to an OoC post with an IC post. Secondly, GenSec, and before them, the mods, gets to interpret the law, and what they say goes. I think that certain clauses in GA #286 can be interpreted to mean that abortion can be illegalized. The mods ruled otherwise. I have to take it.

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Fairburn: The lack of a sense of humour found in certain Delegations concerns us. It doesn't concern us enough to do anything about it, mind you, but it concerns us nevertheless.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:22 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: The lack of a sense of humour found in certain Delegations concerns us. It doesn't concern us enough to do anything about it, mind you, but it concerns us nevertheless.
"Do you say this in regards to the definition of 'secret treaty?'"

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Fauxia wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: The lack of a sense of humour found in certain Delegations concerns us. It doesn't concern us enough to do anything about it, mind you, but it concerns us nevertheless.
"Do you say this in regards to the definition of 'secret treaty?'"

Fairburn: You mean the definition that is never used in the active clauses? Yes, it's used in the title, but the title isn't at all binding. The proposal could be named 'Life is like a box of chocolates' and it wouldn't make any difference to the actual mandates.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Nessuna-Arma wrote:Challenge Accepted. For brevity's sake I'll use shorthand, "weapons and kittens," instead of "military-grade weapons and feline animals of varying sizes with tabby coats." If that's not sufficient then just replace the phrase in your head when you come to it.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Ban on Weapons and Kittens
Category: Furtherment of Democracy | Strength: Mild

I know I'm new but thanks to encouragement from my region mates in Forest (especially Uan aa Boa and our delegate Ransium) and from Araraukar, I took a couple days to read all the rules before posting here. And so far, if I'm reading the category rules right, then if you're going to ban secret treaties, AKA weapons and kittens, you probably have the wrong category. It must be global disarmament. Unless, of course, this is a joke.

OOC:
No. "Secret treaties" (a plural term) is not defined. The definition of "secret treaty" (a singular term) is defined, but explicitly says:
'Secret treaty' and all variant capitalisations thereof, excluding pluralisations, shall mean military-grade weapons and feline animals of varying sizes with tabby coats.

That means "secret treaties" is explicitly excluded from the definition.

See, because "undisclosed to the public" means "secret," so "treaties undisclosed to the public" means "weapons and kittens." Unless, of course, this is a joke.

No. "Undisclosed to the public" does not mean secret. And regardless of that, "secret treaty" is defined, not "treaties undisclosed to the public". Definitions only define the terms they define, they do not define other terms not defined.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Nessuna-Arma
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nessuna-Arma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:53 pm

OOC: The logic here astounds me.

So, you're saying, that if international law defines "X, in the singular" as "Y" and then uses X in the plural, that X in the plural means something else other than Y in the plural.

Have I got that right?

If that's true, then, more evidence that this is a JOKE. The English language and international law don't work that way.

We're supposed to be simulating international legislation here, and unless you are indeed making a joke of this whole thing, then the topic is secret treaties, not weapons and kittens.

Take the definition out.
For World Assembly business: Ambassador Pino Sporco, Val Trebbia, Nessuna

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Never mind, nothing here
Last edited by Fauxia on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nessuna-Arma
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nessuna-Arma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Fauxia wrote:The definition is what it is what it is. If it's a JOKE, you don't have to stay.

Who said anything about leaving? I'm debating the legality of the proposal. Isn't that how it works here? If not, please, enlighten me, and I'll change what I'm doing. I'm just taking cues from everyone else, as it seems those with the loudest voices get the most attention, I thought I should speak up a bit.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Nessuna-Arma wrote:
Fauxia wrote:The definition is what it is what it is. If it's a JOKE, you don't have to stay.

Who said anything about leaving? I'm debating the legality of the proposal. Isn't that how it works here? If not, please, enlighten me, and I'll change what I'm doing. I'm just taking cues from everyone else, as it seems those with the loudest voices get the most attention, I thought I should speak up a bit.
My apologies, I thought you were talking about the WA as a whole.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Nessuna-Arma wrote:OOC: The logic here astounds me.

So, you're saying, that if international law defines "X, in the singular" as "Y" and then uses X in the plural, that X in the plural means something else other than Y in the plural.

Have I got that right?

If that's true, then, more evidence that this is a JOKE. The English language and international law don't work that way.

We're supposed to be simulating international legislation here, and unless you are indeed making a joke of this whole thing, then the topic is secret treaties, not weapons and kittens.

Take the definition out.
It specifically says "not in the plural" though, unlike in your example. And once again, the definition can be whatever the hell it is defined as. The WA can do whatever the hell it wants in this respect

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Nessuna-Arma wrote:OOC: The logic here astounds me.

Have I got that right?

OOC:
No, you got it completely wrong. The definition does not say "defines 'secret treaty' in the singular as", it explicitly says that plural is excluded from the definition. There is a colossal difference.

If X in the singular is a specific thing, it is not unreasonable to assume (evidence to the contrary not being present) that the plural means the same thing but in the plural. However, if X is a specific thing but not when it is plural, it is entirely unreasonable to assume that the plural is the same thing. You are interpreting the law in such a way as to contradict the explicit statements of the text. That is contrary to all interpretations of law.

Take the definition out.

You are taking things way too seriously here. This is the World Assembly, formed by Resolution 1 on April 1st, according to the text of that resolution, after the previous organization "spectacularly imploded in a colossal fireball of extra-dimensional inanity".

Take a step back for a minute. Go read World Assembly Headquarters, it might help you relax.

Edit to clarify:
Concerning the Joke rule:
Joke/Silly Proposals: Proposals intended solely to be 'humorous' or a 'joke' are removed

Emphasis not even added. The word solely is underlined in the actual rules for a reason. Jokes are allowed. It is when the only purpose of a proposal is to be a joke that the rule comes into play. Bitely's IBS proposal was ruled illegal (and I disagree with that) because GenSec deemed it to be solely a joke, with no serious intent behind it. IA, on the other hand, had a serious proposal here (100% serious) and, only after repeated frivolous demands for a definition, added in a joke definition to a proposal that was not designed as a joke. The proposal as it is is not solely a joke, it is mostly serious with a tacked on joke.
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:14 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Yes, it's used in the title, but the title isn't at all binding.

It's not even used in the title. The definition doesn't apply in the plural, for 'secret treaties'.

Nessuna-Arma wrote:
OOC: The logic here astounds me.

Have I got that right?

Take the definition out.

I mean, you've got three problems here. First, as EP noted, you're misreading the text – at this point, probably purposefully. Second, your own analogy, a generous approbation at that, does not apply. When international law defines, say, 'X in the singular', and then just doesn't use X, that's a different matter entirely. Third, if you're doing this just to be loud, then I recommend either you get real, stop whinging, and file a legality challenge or stop initiating nuclear devices on your credibility.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Nessuna-Arma
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nessuna-Arma » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:59 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:You are taking things way too seriously here. This is the World Assembly, formed by Resolution 1 on April 1st, according to the text of that resolution, after the previous organization "spectacularly imploded in a colossal fireball of extra-dimensional inanity".

Take a step back for a minute. Go read World Assembly Headquarters, it might help you relax.

All right. Commencing dialing it down a notch. Two notches. Three notches. Four notches. Okay. I'm good.

Still think this a joke.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:31 am

Nessuna-Arma wrote:Still think this a joke.

It is a joke. It's also not solely a joke.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:45 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Yes, it's used in the title, but the title isn't at all binding.

It's not even used in the title. The definition doesn't apply in the plural, for 'secret treaties'.

My point still stands. :P

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:50 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:It's not even used in the title. The definition doesn't apply in the plural, for 'secret treaties'.

My point still stands. :P
Will you be voting for just because of the joke?

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:52 am

Fauxia wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:My point still stands. :P
Will you be voting for just because of the joke?

OOC: We don't have any official ruling as to whether this proposal, as written, violates the Committee rule, so I can't comment on that right now.

Fauxia
Senator

Postby Fauxia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Will you be voting for just because of the joke?

OOC: We don't have any official ruling as to whether this proposal, as written, violates the Committee rule, so I can't comment on that right now.
It doesn't violate the committee rule. Period

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives