NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Repeal of Rights and Duties of WA States

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

What side to you support

Poll ended at Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:30 pm

The establishment WA
86%
Revolutionaries of the Federation of the WA
14%

Total votes : 157

Keshiland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Repeal of Rights and Duties of WA States

Postby Keshiland » Mon May 29, 2017 11:56 am

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=323#p313

Category: Repeal
Resolution: #2
Proposed by: Keshiland

Description: Rights and Duties of WA States A resolution to restrict political freedoms in the interest of law and order.

Argument: This resolution put an undue burden on the WA to work as a governing body. With too many regulations that impede the WA as a whole.

Noting: that this resolution fails to take into account what is needed for any governing body to be effective.

Noting that The Principle of National Sovereignty is far too vague and used as essentially a get out of jail free card for anyone to use against any resolution they want to not pass.

Regretting that this resolution fails to relies the difference between nations and how in some circumstances equality in the resolutions is not doable

Seeking the opportunity to introduce a more effective version of this resolution to the World Assembly,

The World Assembly hereby repeals "Rights and Duties of WA States".
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 14 times in total.
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon May 29, 2017 11:59 am

World Assembly Resolution #344, Minimum Standard of Living Act
World Assembly Resolution #43, WA Labor Relations Act

Read Me

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:
OOC: Keshiland, seriously, just stop it. Do not come up with anymore half-baked, ill thought out crusades and submit version after version. This is getting you a reputation as a badge hunter. Read the rules and guidelines, listen to advise, read the rules and guidelines again, participate in debate, read the rules and guidelines again (until you really understand them).

Similar sentiments have been echoed in every one of your other threads. it's time to KNOCK IT OFF and follow the same policies and procedures as the rest of us.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Mon May 29, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon May 29, 2017 1:45 pm

*sigh*

It is considered Bad Form to change a debate thread from the original to a completely unrelated topic.

That said, this repeal is flawed. badly. Just like everything else you have spammed on the the submissions. Stop it.

Not Ta'veren

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Mon May 29, 2017 1:51 pm

is it illegal no!
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon May 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Keshiland wrote:is it illegal no!

Might as well be. After all, all you seem to do is write badly thought ouabain illegal proposals. And whine when everyone tells you so.

But for the sake of argument, how does GAR2 actually prevent the WA from functioning?
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon May 29, 2017 1:58 pm

It is nothing but ad hominums without any supporting evidence. None. Rights and Duties is one of the more straight forward and concise resolutions on the books. To describe it as "vague" is ludicrous. Have an issue with it? Fine, whatever. But back up what you say. Give reason. Read the freaking rules and guidelines, for chrissakes.

Not Ta'veren

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon May 29, 2017 1:58 pm

Keshiland wrote:is it illegal no!

Well natsov isn't a get out of rail free card as you claim. All WA legislation applies to all members weather they like it or not.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Mon May 29, 2017 2:00 pm

But for the sake of argument, how does GAR2 actually prevent the WA from functioning?

It gives a reason for every proposal ever to be illegal basically letting everyone go on opinion with the sovereignty in boarders clause. I could say the abortion legalization one is in violation of that. I could say the helping the poor violates that. I could say equal rights violates that. I can say anything violates that cause it trespasses on sovereignty

State count 135

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon May 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Keshiland wrote:

It gives a reason for every proposal ever to be illegal basically letting everyone go on opinion with the sovereignty in boarders clause. I could say the abortion legalization one is in violation of that. I could say the helping the poor violates that. I could say equal rights violates that. I can say anything violates that cause it trespasses on sovereignty

You saying it doesn't make it so.
The Secretariat, Mods, and experienced GA authors saying it does, as a general rule, bear paying attention to.

You have deliberately misconstrued what #2 is because you have yet to write anything close to legal, as well as a demonstrated inability to listen to advise or learn from mistakes. When told something is illegal or a bad idea, that is what it is, illegal or a bad idea. Not a personal attack. Not obstructionism. Not "Vague Resolutions".

Read the rules and guidelines please. Stop submitting, withdrawing, and resubmitting half-baked ideas, please.

Not Ta'veren

Dragonslinding WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonslinding WA Mission » Mon May 29, 2017 2:07 pm

OOC:

Is it just me, or does it stand to reason that if NatSov alone is not grounds for a repeal would not IntFed also not be grounds alone for a repeal. That being said, if this ever gets to the floor we'll be opposed. The argument simply isn't good enough.
Ser Aegon Snow: Chief Ambassador of HM Government to the WA.
Ser Dawrin Stone: Assistant Ambassador of HM Government to the WA

Please note that Ser is a title not a name. It denotes that both of these gentlemen have been knighted

We creatively comply with a number of WA resolutions, check out our factbook on the matter if you'd like to know more.

Cisgendered, homosexual white male. Classically liberal/libertarian, this nation does not reflect my actual political positions.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Mon May 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Keshiland wrote:

You saying it doesn't make it so.
The Secretariat, Mods, and experienced GA authors saying it does, as a general rule, bear paying attention to.

You have deliberately misconstrued what #2 is because you have yet to write anything close to legal, as well as a demonstrated inability to listen to advise or learn from mistakes. When told something is illegal or a bad idea, that is what it is, illegal or a bad idea. Not a personal attack. Not obstructionism. Not "Vague Resolutions".

Read the rules and guidelines please. Stop submitting, withdrawing, and resubmitting half-baked ideas, please.

How does reguiring abortion rights not fall under illegal for not respecting sovereignty but banning guns does?

State count 135

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon May 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Keshiland wrote:

I'm starting to think that you did not read GAR2. After all, it does clearly state the a nation's own laws are not an excepted reason for breaking international law.

And no nation needs a reason to ignore or break international law as the WA has no way of enforcing any of it.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Mon May 29, 2017 2:19 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:
Keshiland wrote:

I'm starting to think that you did not read GAR2. After all, it does clearly state the a nation's own laws are not an excepted reason for breaking international law.

And no nation needs a reason to ignore or break international law as the WA has no way of enforcing any of it.

So resolutions are mere suggestions? Basically like Congress under the Articles of Confederation? That sounds pointless.

State count 135

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Mon May 29, 2017 2:19 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:
Keshiland wrote:It gives a reason for every proposal ever to be illegal basically letting everyone go on opinion with the sovereignty in boarders clause. I could say the abortion legalization one is in violation of that. I could say the helping the poor violates that. I could say equal rights violates that. I can say anything violates that cause it trespasses on sovereignty

I'm just going to be OOC for this entire thread.

Yeah, NatSov has never been a justification for nations to violate WA law. The assumption is always that nations either make a good-faith effort to enforce the law, or mysterious gnomes enforce it for them. Because, barring a theoretical glitch in the actual game programming, a nation always gets the automatic stat-changes that occur. So clearly, something in the narrative has to be enforcing the WA laws.
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon May 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Gnomes don't enforce the laws, they just add them to a nation's legal system. Then it's up to the nation to actually enforce them or not. After all, the WA is not permitted to have an enforcement branch.

Keshiland,

Just like in RL, nations can choose the extent to which they enforce and abide international law. Or to completely ignore laws they do not wish to comply with. Though, it's much more assuming to find the loopholes of the laws and use them to not have to abide by the law but still be in compliance with them.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon May 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:Though, it's much more assuming to find the loopholes of the laws and use them to not have to abide by the law but still be in compliance with them.

OOC: I think your autocorrect might be tripping you up there, but yeah, creative compliance rather than an outright "I won't do this, and you can't make me, nyah" is much preferred. So you might take your own advice there, Jarish. :P

101 minutes ago: The Democratic Republic of Keshiland submitted a proposal to the General Assembly Repeals Board entitled "Repeal "Rights and Duties of WA States"".

So why was it a good idea to submit this? Especially after a moderator told you to stop doing that?
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon May 29, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon May 29, 2017 3:23 pm

My IPhone and I are currently having communications issues. Now where is the fun in this after you find loopholes? Gotta do something. Plus, I do have a reputation to uphold. :p
Last edited by Jarish Inyo on Mon May 29, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon May 29, 2017 3:30 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:My IPhone and I are currently having communications issues. Now where is the fun in this after you find loopholes? Gotta do something. Plus, I do have a reputation to uphold. :p

You know what is reputation? Is people talking, is gossip. I also have reputation; not so pleasant, I think you know.
(opens the door to show a man hanging upside-down from the ceiling)
Now for you, my reputation is not from gossip. You see this man? Ehh, he does not do the job. I show you what I do with him, and now for you my reputation is fact. Is solid.

Not Ta'veren

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon May 29, 2017 3:46 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:My IPhone and I are currently having communications issues. Now where is the fun in this after you find loopholes? Gotta do something. Plus, I do have a reputation to uphold. :p

You know what is reputation? Is people talking, is gossip. I also have reputation; not so pleasant, I think you know.
(opens the door to show a man hanging upside-down from the ceiling)
Now for you, my reputation is not from gossip. You see this man? Ehh, he does not do the job. I show you what I do with him, and now for you my reputation is fact. Is solid.

Where's the bat and sharp pointy things? Don't tell me you just hang people up.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon May 29, 2017 4:43 pm

IC: Ambassador, it is in incredibly poor taste to go for a shotgun effect of submitting multiple proposals to get one passed. It is actually on the verge of belligerency at this stage, considering the sheer number of proposals you have made within a short time frame, despite the more-than-adequate feedback stating how bad your draft proposals are. Take a breather in the World Assembly Lobby, gather your thoughts, and work on a single draft proposal. Work on the draft for several weeks if necessary, and take any feedback on board, rather than ignoring it. Ignoring feedback from others is a surefire way of irritating the members of the World Assembly who will vote on - and ultimately decide the fate of - your proposal. We are here to help, so let us help.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue May 30, 2017 6:31 am

The submitted version
Repeal: “Rights And Duties Of WA States”
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.

Category: Repeal
Resolution: GA#2
Proposed by: Keshiland

General Assembly Resolution #2 “Rights and Duties of WA States” (Category: Political Stability; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Description: Rights and Duties of WA States A resolution to restrict political freedoms in the interest of law and order.

Argument: This resolution put an undue burden on the WA to work as a governing body. With too many regulations that impede the WA as a whole.

Noting: that this resolution fails to take into account what is needed for any governing body to be effective.

Noting that The Principle of National Sovereignty is far too vague and used as essentially a get out of jail free card for anyone to use against any resolution they want to not pass.

Regretting that this resolution fails to relies the difference between nations and how in some circumstances equality in the resolutions is not doable

Seeking the opportunity to introduce a more effective version of this resolution to the World Assembly.

Approvals: 0
has been inspected by two GenSec members so far, and although we might not have been entirely happy about its wording we are agreed so far that it does qualify [however narrowly] as legal.

GenSec Status: LEGAL
Info
Legal (2): Sierra Lyricalia, Bears Armed
20 minutes ago: Bears Armed: Legal
40 minutes ago: Sierra Lyricalia: Legal
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue May 30, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue May 30, 2017 9:32 am

It doesn't appear there is a repeals clause. Has that requirement been changed?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue May 30, 2017 10:15 am

OOC: I love it how Keshiland has cynically put {LEGAL} in the thread title now. It may be legal, but it is still a damn awful proposal that will never reach quorum. I wish that spelling mistakes and punctuation errors (which this proposal has) were enough to make a proposal illegal, just on the basis that such mistakes could potentially cause confusion in interpretation. Even so, having such mistakes does reduce the odds of a proposal reaching quorum, so I guess there is a silver lining in every cloud...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue May 30, 2017 10:24 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:It doesn't appear there is a repeals clause. Has that requirement been changed?

Some time ago. As a repeal only repeals, and so no other explanation of its effects is necessary, the boilerplate line automatically added saying that it repeals the target resolution is considered sufficient.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue May 30, 2017 10:28 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:It doesn't appear there is a repeals clause. Has that requirement been changed?

Some time ago. As a repeal only repeals, and so no other explanation of its effects is necessary, the boilerplate line automatically added saying that it repeals the target resolution is considered sufficient.

I'm pleased. That is the correct decision, it should have been made when repeals were first introduced.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives