NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal 'World Assembly Central Medicinal [...]'

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Mon May 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Breezelandia wrote:"Hey guys, let's repeal something we just passed with overwhelming support!"

The World Assembly in a nutshell.

You're preaching to the choir. If it wasn't for the fact resolutions can't alter the fundamental laws of The World Assembly, I would have written one suggesting we ban repeals within three months of a resolution passing, unless it gets support of over 75% of the member states (not just those that vote).
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon May 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Breezelandia wrote:"Hey guys, let's repeal something we just passed with overwhelming support!"

The World Assembly in a nutshell.

"I'm not sure that those who fundamentally misunderstand the WA process should be allowed to be World Assembly ambassadors." Blackbourne remarks.

Calladan wrote:You're preaching to the choir. If it wasn't for the fact resolutions can't alter the fundamental laws of The World Assembly, I would have written one suggesting we ban repeals within three months of a resolution passing, unless it gets support of over 75% of the member states (not just those that vote).

"I am not sure any WA resolution has received the support of 75% of all member nations. I am also not sure why this arbitrary number was chosen."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon May 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Why is it that people do not understand that when the voters at large only hear one side of the story, you can get them to pass anything?

If I had an assembly, where only I could speak, only I could organise a campaign (the majority of resolutions are not opposed with campaign telegrams), only I could invite other speakers, etc. would you be surprised that the assembly was a rubber stamp for my proposals? Let me repeat this — most nations do not read GA debates. Even if they did, they would not receive the same polished and coherent argumentation as adopted by the faction pushing the resolution. And even in regions where a WA ministry or Office exists, that does not lead to significantly higher turnout or conversion (i.e. votes in favour of the position adopted by the government, the significance bar being somewhere around 25pc) rates.

The format of the WA, for most players, is if in a debate, the Affirmative walked up and gave a speech. And then that was the end of the debate. There ought be no wonder why the WA keeps voting things in. Before even considering the size of the 'lemming effect' or that voters don't read — the format of the resolution system as a whole means that things like this and like the World Space Administration are easily passed.

Putting limits on the ability to repeal passed resolutions does nothing to solve the actual structural problem that faces any Opposition. Allowing instant repeals, i.e. giving the Opposition the same structural advantage, is the only way, in the current voting system, to make both sides more fair. This idea of limits is practically indicative of simply not having thought about the actual structure and applying a band-aid solution that addresses none of the root causes. It's like treating a sore throat with morphine.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue May 16, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon May 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Allowing instant repeals, i.e. giving the Opposition the same structural advantage, is the only way, in the current voting system, to make both sides fair.

OOC
One could argue that makes the system equal, but not fair. After all, it's just as unfair that the Opposition has virtually no opposition during the repeal. This result in a pendulum effect where a resolution passes with virtually no opposition and then gets repealed with virtually no opposition and so on until one side stops. That's not really fair, it's just equal.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue May 16, 2017 12:16 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Allowing instant repeals, i.e. giving the Opposition the same structural advantage, is the only way, in the current voting system, to make both sides fair.

OOC
One could argue that makes the system equal, but not fair. After all, it's just as unfair that the Opposition has virtually no opposition during the repeal. This result in a pendulum effect where a resolution passes with virtually no opposition and then gets repealed with virtually no opposition and so on until one side stops. That's not really fair, it's just equal.

Alright, allowing instant repeals, i.e. giving the Opposition the same structural advantage, is the only way, in the current voting system, to make both sides ... comparatively more fair than the alternative in which the metaphorical pendulum is only allowed to swing in one direction.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue May 16, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Nativista
Lobbyist

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nativista » Tue May 16, 2017 4:21 am

Briers nods slowly. "I reckon I would support the decision from Calladan. But, then again, new members are poppin' up all the time. Even iffin we was to wait three months, quite a few new members would have cropped up that same week, and we wouldn't be any better off."
Government:
- Director of Foreign Policy and Defense: Lorene Whittaker
- Director of Education: Benson Lieberman
- Director of Economic Affairs: Zachary Briars
- Director of Agriculture: Gerard James
- Director of Health and Welfare: Lynn Costa
- Director of Transportation: Polly Linchester-Diedrick
- Director of Miscellany: Moe Harrison

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Tue May 16, 2017 8:03 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Why is it that people do not understand that when the voters at large only hear one side of the story, you can get them to pass anything?

If I had an assembly, where only I could speak, only I could organise a campaign (the majority of resolutions are not opposed with campaign telegrams), only I could invite other speakers, etc. would you be surprised that the assembly was a rubber stamp for my proposals? Let me repeat this — most nations do not read GA debates. Even if they did, they would not receive the same polished and coherent argumentation as adopted by the faction pushing the resolution. And even in regions where a WA ministry or Office exists, that does not lead to significantly higher turnout or conversion (i.e. votes in favour of the position adopted by the government, the significance bar being somewhere around 25pc) rates.

The format of the WA, for most players, is if in a debate, the Affirmative walked up and gave a speech. And then that was the end of the debate. There ought be no wonder why the WA keeps voting things in. Before even considering the size of the 'lemming effect' or that voters don't read — the format of the resolution system as a whole means that things like this and like the World Space Administration are easily passed.

Putting limits on the ability to repeal passed resolutions does nothing to solve the actual structural problem that faces any Opposition. Allowing instant repeals, i.e. giving the Opposition the same structural advantage, is the only way, in the current voting system, to make both sides more fair. This idea of limits is practically indicative of simply not having thought about the actual structure and applying a band-aid solution that addresses none of the root causes. It's like treating a sore throat with morphine.

So because people are too fracking lazy to investigate what they are being told, we should watch The WA engage in the legislative equivalent of sticking its head up its own ass?
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue May 16, 2017 8:44 am

Covenstone wrote:So because people are too fracking lazy to investigate what they are being told, we should watch The WA engage in the legislative equivalent of sticking its head up its own ass?

No, its because the structure in which information is being conveyed requires that this be the only method to increase fairness. Read what I wrote. The WA is not a normal legislative assembly, it ought not be judged on the basis that it constantly makes and unmakes some decision — this is inevitable given the structure of the Assembly. To prove that a restriction on instant repeals is justified, you need to show that doing so would promote fairness between the opposition and affirmative sides. You haven't done that.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue May 16, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

The Greater Libertalian Islands
Civil Servant

Founded: May 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Libertalian Islands » Tue May 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Outlined here: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=825016

I put my vote in on the FOR side, If a piece of legislation is ineffective at what it was set out to do, why keep it?
Also any excuse to lessen bureaucracy is an excuse i'm willing to take!
The Dominion of The Greater Libertalian Islands
"La liberté au-dessus de tout"
Freedom Above All

New Mooland
Civilian

Founded: Feb 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

How do you vote?

Postby New Mooland » Wed May 17, 2017 1:21 am

I am looking through the general assembly and I can't find how to vote

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Wed May 17, 2017 10:22 am

New Mooland wrote:I am looking through the general assembly and I can't find how to vote

Firstly you have to apply to join. Once you are a member, go the World Assembly page (it should be on the menu on the left) and you will see the proposal currently on the floor (if there is one.) You can then vote on that.

But the key part is being a member. Unless you are a member, you can't vote.
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

NDH Republic
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby NDH Republic » Wed May 17, 2017 11:01 am

I`m against. No regulation of tobacco. I will resign WA if it passes

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed May 17, 2017 11:06 am

NDH Republic wrote:I`m against. No regulation of tobacco. I will resign WA if it passes

I will note that this resolution, the Repeal of the WA Central Medicinal whatever, is no longer at vote.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives