NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Alasdair I Frosticus (The Holy Empire)

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

[PASSED] Commend Alasdair I Frosticus (The Holy Empire)

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:47 am

This proposal has been re-re-re-re-refiled to the Security Council Commendation Board.
NOTE: at 0010 BST on the 9th of April 2018, this proposal reached quorum with Sumatriptan's approval, the 107th all told

TINHAMPTONIAN MINISTRY OF WORLD ASSEMBLY AFFAIRS: Notice of Submission Warning
Considering the original draft publication date for this resolution (April 2nd 2017), let it hereby be known by the Tinhamptonian Ministry of WA Affairs that this proposal will be submitted, lack of complaints notwithstanding, on May 12th 2017. Thank you for your consideration.

NOTE: The nuclear apocalypse, whilst fun, was non-canon in Tinhampton. Instead, it turned out to be a whole-country drill for the disposal of an unexploded nuclear bomb which could have irradiated Tinhampton within minutes. Once the bomb was disposed of in the wee hours of the morning, the vote count went ahead. Confusing, I know.
TBS Election Centre, 0555 Tinhampton Time, 1st April 2017:
  • William Everson, TBS anchor for the night: This has been a tense election so far, despite earlier leads for Mayor Anderson. The United Conservatives and their Free Democratic Allies have lost out in the polls so far to the Libertarians and Tinhampton First. As I speak, the results from the Tinhampton Barrier Islands' 307 voters are coming in, and the Social Democratic List needs a miracle to steal the Mayor's thunder, requiring 191 votes more than the UCP to win the election. With just one party in the last 60 years having gained more than 40% of the vote there, a shock in "the belated bellwether" appears unlikely. Our current election statistics:
  • (female voice): These are the current party vote and seat counts.
United Conservative Party: 69,860 votes - 34 seats.
Social Democratic List: 69,670 votes - 33 seats.
Tinhampton Libertarian Party: 38,933 votes - 19 seats.
Free Democratic Party: 36,594 votes - 18 seats.
Green-Environmentalist Party: 15,432 votes - 7 seats.
Equal Rights Party: 13,294 votes - 6 seats.
Solidarity with Immigrants Party: 12,382 votes - 6 seats.
Tinhampton First Party: 12,208 votes - 6 seats.
Pirate Party: 10,548 votes - 5 seats.
Other parties: 31,360 votes - 15 votes.

• William Everson: Thank you very much. Now, if I am not mistaken, Barrier Islands lad and football team captain Ian Jones is presenting the results, in his last appearance in the Tin City before the Independents Cup in Schottia and Mercedini - all 64 games, by the way, are live on TBS. Remember, the SDL needs 191 more votes than the UCP to dethrone Anderson. And so to City Hall.
  • Ruth Ford, live on air at City Hall: Thanks, Will. If I'm not mistaken...
  • (voice emanating from elsewhere): DEATH TO THE HOLY EMPIRE!
  • Ruth Ford: I mean, if I'm not mistaken, the results should be coming in now. The whole world is awaiting the result of this small backwater's election. As I speak, the Returning Officer is about to demand our attention.
  • Returning Officer: Thank you. I come here today to give you results that could prove influential in deciding who shall become the next Mayor of Tinhampton. With 50% less ado than the previous recipe, here follows the results:
All other parties: 0 votes.
Death to the State: 2 votes.
The Miners' Party: 2 votes.
The Pirate Party: 4 votes.
The Tinhampton First Party: 6 votes.
The Seriously Serious Party: 7 votes.
The Equal Rights Party: 10 votes.
The Humanist and Secularist Union: 11 votes.
The Solidarity with Immigrants Party: 18 votes.
The Green-Environmentalist Party: 26 votes.
The Tinhampton Libertarian Party: 31 votes.
The Free Democratic Party: 36 votes.
The Social Democratic List...

The cheering was evident amongst the crowd, as the Mayor had finally - finally - secured a second term. It had been a long time coming, but it was worth it. At about the same time, Delegate-Ambassador Smith turned off the television in his office, but refused to go to sleep, for fear of missing out on the April Fools' shenanigans that were about to take place (and had already kicked off, in some circles). But the day after that, he had a task to do - another presentation to the Security Council.

World Assembly HQ - Security Council Building - Discussion Chamber 094, 1445 Tinhampton Time, 2nd April 2017:
  • Jamie Williamson, Assistant to the Delegate-Ambassador: (inaudible to the other delegates) Now, I know that it might have been close, scary and pretty damn concerning at the same time, but you can do this - this coming from a 70-something to the impendent 62nd birthday boy. Alright?
  • Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: About six weeks ago, the Unibotian delegation to the World Assembly produced a list of nations or regions that deserved to be commended or condemned, but there have been slim pickings as of yet. Today's selection from the Wheel of Azbantium: Alasdair I Frosticus. No, don't ask me if it's pronounced "one" or "eye" - for what it's worth, I'll probably clear up the confusion and refer to them as The Holy Empire like virtually everybody other than the World Census literalists, including that yelling protestor who interrupted the Barrier Islands vote announcement. It took a while for me to cut this down to 3,500 characters, but I eventually got there.
  • Jamie Williamson, Assistant to the Delegate-Ambassador: And I'm aware that there have been a few other since-vanquished proposals from that list?
  • Delegate-Ambassador Smith: Correct. Commend The Rejected Realms, a proposal that was not drafted in these chambers first, was yanked after the author of that proposal was found to be "thanking" the Unibotians, rather than listing Unibot III - no, don't ask me if its pronouced "three" or "eye eye eye" - as a co-author.
  • Assistant Williamson: It was, admittedly, resubmitted, but the nation "The Rejected Realms" was nominated second time around, not the region - the nation was then an unofficial Rejected pollster operated by the same government that brought you La Navasse and Aimdar-Goomdar. Then that got pulled, and a new version of the original got yanked for mentioning the conspiracy theory circulating in these chambers that the world is controlled by a simulation entitled "NationStates", and then those Septic Ghost people were chucked from the WA.
  • Delegate-Ambassador Smith: And as for Condemn Pierconium... Don't get me started on Condemn Pierconium. Almost all other traces of its very existence have since been removed by the Secretariat, and the resolution's author with it. That was drafted here, and it died here. So, that makes two resolutions from the Unibotian list, and two failures. Well, four failures.
  • Assistant Williamson: You did forget something - Commend Forest was the first - or maybe the second, I don't remember - resolution to be yanked for crediting those nations you see as being international dilemma "editors", whatever that means, for doing anything with a vague relevance to these dilemmas. So make that five failures. That being said, here's hoping to this proposal actually getting to vote...
  • Delegate-Ambassador Smith: Cue the criticism.
Commend Alasdair I Frosticus
A resolution to recognise outstanding contribution by a nation or region.
Category: Commendation
Nominee: Alasdair I Frosticus
Proposed by: Tinhampton

THE SECURITY COUNCIL:

RECOGNISING [nation=Alasdair I Frosticus] (a nation better known as the Holy Empire, hereinafter THE) to have been founded around March 2003 - or at least what many nations consider to be March 2003, since time is non-linear in THE - and THE's territory, [nation=The Archregimancy] (TA), to have been founded in August 2005;

NOTING the existence of a football World Cup (WC) first organised in antiquity, widely considered the world's premier sporting stage, with 79 editions played and hundreds of nations served over the past 14 years. THE was one of the 32 nations that played at the 1st WC, one of only two now extant (with Ariddia), and the only one playing at the 79th WC;

INSPIRED at the effort consistently put in by THE for the WC throughout history, including:
  • hosting four WCs (plus one as TA), an achievement few other nations have rivalled: hosting the 2nd WC alone, the 28th (as TA) with New Montreal States, the 34th with Ariddia, the 50th with Krytenia, and the 69th with Apox;
  • making the WC final eight times (and winning it at the 48th, 60th, 62nd and 69th WCs), no doubt aided by THE's dedication to attacking football;
  • playing at 50 WCs proper (including all WCs between the 32nd and 73th editions), more than any other nation (even despite not playing at all between the 8th and 24th WCs); and
  • induction into the World Cup Hall of Fame after the 45th WC, thus securing THE's legacy as one of history's great football-playing nations;

RECALLING the following facts about the many creative scenarios that have involved THE in past WCs:
  • THE has fielded a diversity of squads in the past: from humans to jumping foodstuffs to refugees from the Land of Faerie to the Fog-Thing of Antiquity, and most latterly intergalactic zombie space pirates;
  • THE's coach, Juan Tzimisces, has stayed in his role for the last 54 WCs; he also led a brave defence of THE's Black Gate for 100 days during The Event, which ended before the 48th WC;
  • As a nation in [region=The Dreamed Realm], THE is accessible solely by portal (and not by what many nations would deem to be normal transport);
  • The long-running World Cup Show with Basil and Theo is renowned as a snarky highlights show covering games that THE has recently played; and
  • When THE played at the 45th WC and made the final (losing 4-1 to Candelaria and Marquez), despite never making the semifinals before, THE fielded a team of cavemen who eschewed normal footballs for spherical rocks. The team captain, Ug-Ug, kept a monosyllabic diary throughout said WC, retiring after the 48th WC;

UNDERSTANDING, therefore, that THE is a nation with much experience and knowledge of world football, which is thankfully passed onto football associations the world over in the form of guidance and stabilisation;

IMPRESSED at how, via TA, THE's various general debaters have been consistently relied upon for dialogue on matters historical, archaeological and political; being well-respected by many other debaters, and regularly ranking highly in debating awards ceremonies;

BELIEVING that the achievements and continued presence of the Holy Empire/Alasdair I Frosticus - which have taken up the better part of the world's existence, but have led to respect from countless nations, and inspired more still to engage in general debate and the football World Cup - deserve recognition by this august body:

HEREBY COMMENDS [nation=Alasdair I Frosticus].

Drafts of Old:
Draft 4: As D3, but removing @-tags and making limited other changes (nothing too serious, mind you), in order to allow this to fit within the 3,500 characters we're given.

Draft 3: As D2, but written after World Cup 77. The new edition has only changed to update stats since World Cup 78.

THE SECURITY COUNCIL:

NOTING the existence of a football World Cup (WC) first organised in antiquity, with 77 editions played and hundreds of nations served over the past 14 years;

RECOGNISING that [nation=Alasdair I Frosticus] (a nation better known as The Holy Empire, hereinafter THE) was one of the 32 nations that played at the 1st WC, one of only two now extant (along with @Ariddia), and the only one playing at the 77th WC;

AMAZED at how THE has hosted four WCs (plus one as their territory, @The_Archregimancy (TA)): hosting the 2nd WC alone, the 28th WC (as TA) with New Montreal States, the 34th WC with Ariddia, the 50th WC with @Krytenia, and the 69th WC with @Apox;

INSPIRED by how THE is one of the WC's winningest nations, with their famous attacking style helping them win the coveted trophy at the 48th, 60th, 62nd and 69th WCs (and losing the final another four times);

APPLAUDING THE's consistent WC turnout, having played in 48 WCs proper (including all WCs between the 32nd and 73th editions), more than any other nation (even despite not playing at the 8th through to 24th WCs);

RECALLING the following facts about the many creative scenarios that have involved THE in past WCs:
  • THE has fielded a diversity of squads in the past, ranging from regular humans to jumping foodstuffs to refugees from the Land of Faerie to the Fog-Thing of Antiquity;
  • THE's coach, Juan Tzimisces, has stayed in his role for the last 52 WCs (an unusually long time); he also led a brave defence of THE's Black Gate for 100 days during The Event, which ended before the 48th WC;
  • As a nation in [region=The Dreamed Realm], THE is accessible solely by portal (and not by what would be considered normal transportation for many football-playing nations);
  • The long-running World Cup Show with Basil and Theo is renowned as a snarky highlights show covering games that THE has recently played; and
  • When THE played at the 45th WC and made the final (which they lost 4-1 to @Candelaria_and_Marquez), despite never making the semifinals before, THE fielded a team of cavemen who eschewed normal footballs for spherical rocks. The team captain (and last survivor), Ug-Ug, kept a monosyllabic diary of his thoughts during said WC, retiring after THE won the 48th WC;

AWED at THE's streak of 26 consecutive WC games won (qualifiers or finals) in 2012-13. At the 62nd WC, THE won all of their 14 qualifiers and 7 games in the WC proper (winning the final 4-1 over @Bears_Armed, which this august body has also Commended); THE also won their first 5 qualifiers for the 63rd WC before a 1-1 draw at @Vettrera. This streak was part of a sequence where THE went unbeaten for 39 WC games all told, excluding penalty shootouts;

NOTICING that THE was inducted into the World Cup Hall of Fame (which honours those nations that have had excellent form in the WC through time) after the 45th WC;

OBSERVING that THE's football excellence goes beyond the WC; losing the final of the 67th Cup of Harmony (CoH) (held during the 75th WC) to @Turori, but (as TA) winning the 52nd and 60th CoHes. In 2012, THE won both the Fair Play Trophy (the 1st World Fair's football trophy; gaining 12 points out of 12 and beating the likes of @Starblaydia and @Valanora) and the "Legends of the World Cup" tournament held during the 58th WC; and

STRIVING to ensure that the world recognises the achievements of The Holy Empire, aka @Alasdair_I_Frosticus:

HEREBY COMMENDS [nation=Alasdair I Frosticus].

THE SECURITY COUNCIL:

NOTING that a football World Cup for the nations of the world to partake in was originally founded in antiquity, and has served the world for 77 editions over the past fourteen years;

RECOGNISING that Alasdair I Frosticus (a nation better known as The Holy Empire, hereinafter "THE") was one of the 32 nations to have taken part in the 1st World Cup; one of only two known to currently exist (after @Ariddia, the nation widely considered to have set up the World Cup), and the only one still playing in the World Cup to this day;

ACKNOWLEDGING that THE were the sole hosts of the 2nd World Cup; but noting that THE is also adept at hosting World Cups in conjunction with other nations (having hosted the 28th edition (as @The_Archregimancy) with New Montreal States, the 34th edition with Ariddia, the 50th edition with @Krytenia, and the 69th edition with @Apox);

INSPIRED by how THE has been one of the World Cup's winningest nations, having won the coveted trophy at the 48th, 60th, 62nd and 69th iterations of the competition (in addition to losing the final another four times);

APPLAUDING THE's consistent World Cup appearances, having played in 48 World Cups proper, more than any other nation (around 30 of those engagements coming back-to-back in the 2010s); even despite failing to register with the World Cup Committee for between the 8th and 24th World Cup cycles;

RECALLING the diversity of squads put out by THE, even for more recent World Cups; ranging from regular humans to jumping foodstuffs; and from refugees from the Land of Faerie to the Fog-Thing of Antiquity;

AMAZED at THE's streak of 26 consecutive World Cup matches won (in the qualifiers or the proper tournament) in 2012 and 2013. Having lost on penalties in the octofinals of the 61st World Cup, the 62nd World Cup saw THE win all 14 of their qualifiers and all seven games in the tournament proper (including a 4-1 victory in the final against @Bears_Armed, which has also been Commended by this august body). THE also won their first five qualifiers for the 63rd World Cup before drawing 1-1 at @Vettrera;

EVEN MORE AMAZED at THE's record of scoring 91 goals in 18 games in their qualification group for the 77th World Cup, equivalent to over five goals a game; including a 10-1 defeat of @Kosovakia, as well as putting five goals past the Unified Sunrise Islands (the World Cup holders, and officially considered the world's best football team at the time) twice. THE also topped their group, finishing one point ahead of the Islands;

OBSERVING that THE was inducted into the World Cup Hall of Fame (which is intended to showcase those nations that have had excellent form in the World Cup through time) after the 45th World Cup;

UNDERSTANDING that THE's excellence in world football does not just extend to the World Cup; having finished runners-up to @Turori in the 67th Cup of Harmony (which corresponded with the 75th World Cup), and (as The Archregimancy) winning the 52nd and 60th Cups of Harmony. THE also won the Fair Play Trophy, the football tournament played at the first World Fair in 2012, gaining 12 points out of 12 (and beating the likes of @Starblaydia and @Valanora); as well as winning the "Legends of the World Cup" tournament held during the 58th World Cup; and

HOPING that the success of The Holy Empire, aka @Alasdair_I_Frosticus, in world football will be recognised by this august body:

HEREBY COMMENDS Alasdair I Frosticus.

OOC: No, @Alasdair_I_Frosticus is not a mistake. This is being done to show the short nation name when the resolution appears gameside, whilst also using less characters than [nation=short] tags. Ditto [nation=Alasdair I Frosticus]. This OOC note has been made redundant by the removal of @[NATION] as a way to link to a particular nation over Summer 2017.
Last edited by Wrapper on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:17 am, edited 16 times in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:56 am

UNDERSTANDING that THE's excellence in world football does not just extend to the World Cup; having finished runners-up to @Turori in the 67th Cup of Harmony (which corresponded with the 75th World Cup), and (as The Archregimancy) winning the

It might be better if you referred to 'The Archregimancy' as a dependency [or some such term] of The Holy Empire, rather than -- as is the case, in my opinion, with the current wording -- leaving the impression that they are alternate names for the same nation.
(Yes, I do know that they have the same player, but SC resolutions are supposed to be worded so that they refer to nations rather than to players...)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Unibot III
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Unibot III » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:05 am

Good luck on this one, Tin.
[violet] wrote:I mean this in the best possible way,
but Unibot is not a typical NS player.
Milograd wrote:You're a caring, resolute lunatic
with the best of intentions.
Org. Join Date: 25-05-2008 | Former Delegate of TRR

Factbook // Collected works // Gameplay Alignment Test //
9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Headlines from Unibot // WASC HQ: A Guide

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:50 pm

I wouldn't mention the WC77 records. NS Sports is an RP subforum, and while AIF is a fairly deserving commendee, in my opinion it should be more focused on his RPing. Highlight the exploits of characters like Basil & Theo, Juan Tzimisces, Ug-Ug, or Isaac the Prince Imperial to show why AIF is a standout--not the luck of the RNG.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:14 am

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: A second draft is now up, based on your concerns about the first draft. It took me a while to cut it down to the necessary 3,500 characters, but I got there in the end. Your feedback is, unsurprisingly, much appreciated.

OOC: For Bears, I've clarified that The Archregimancy is a territory of The Holy Empire. (IC, this is the case; OOC, TA is the puppeteer of THE.) For Zwangzug, I've put in some information on THE's roleplay - the bit about WC77 was ditched, but I did leave a small reference to THE's attacking style of play.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:06 am

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: So... nothing? No more complaints, changes or quibbles you have for us? Anything we could do to improve before this gets filed with the Security Council Commendations Board or whatever they call it these days?

Unibot III
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Unibot III » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:28 am

WC's winningest nations

No, no, no. :P

I think unless Arch has said otherwise the commendation should also take a clause to recognize Arch as a generalite. Take for example "Commend The Cat Tribe" where I commended him for being both a superb generalite and WA author. A simple way to do accomplish this under R4 would be to "Recognizing their contributions, via The Archregimancy, to debate in general, offering a wealth of experience in historical studies and archaeology."

If you rearrange the clause to begin a sentence with General: "General debate has been elevated with its contributions, via The Arch..." you can get around the capitalization of 'general' issue (which plagued me as an author - capitalizing general mid-sentence was found to violate R4.) Presumably this clause would be a two-sentence clause then, like...

Noting their enduring presence in many facets of NationStates. General debate, for example, has long been elevated with their contributions, via the Archregimancy, on the subject of historical studies and archaeology for which the Archregimancy is an trusted and well recognized authority.

I believe Arch has won several generalite awards too, being a popular generalite. Worth looking into.

I also believe the resolution just begins with far too much 'statswonk' in terms of NS Sports - rather than telling a 'story' about the player's contributions, it seems more like a hockey commentator rambling off stats during a pre-game session: "Never before have the Leafs won against the Habs in a playoff game in April with a left-handed Captain under thirty-three and a collective team BMI over 1000!" It needs a bit more, err, romance and less facts - which is unusual because usually I complain about the presence of generalities in SC resolutions.
Last edited by Unibot III on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:26 pm

I know you're trying to squeeze into the character limit, but the acronyms of "THE" and "WC" really don't help readability. And yes, "winningest" is a terrible word to use unless very clearly tongue in cheek (the tone of the rest of the proposal suggests it isn't).

You've got a long list of achievements, but what I feel is missing is a line just before the operative clause that argues/explains why those achievements warrant recognition from the SC. A lot of resolutions seem to be missing this, yet to me it's always felt the most crucial part of a proposal. You can write a wikipedia-esque list of achievements about almost anyone. Why do your nominee's contributions deserve a Commendation? Sum that up in a sentence or two.

My point is similar to Unibot's, but if you're not sure what I mean by the above, take a look at the resolutions I authored years ago. With the exception of the first couple, they all have this "summing up" line.

Unibot III
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Unibot III » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Sedgistan wrote:My point is similar to Unibot's, but if you're not sure what I mean by the above, take a look at the resolutions I authored years ago. With the exception of the first couple, they all have this "summing up" line.

I agree. The penultimate clause, I believe I called it in a guide. The "summing up" part is a real necessity - it binds the commendation's argument together. In the case of Arch, the overarching 'story' is obvious: longevity and community engagement - a near constant (quality) presence in the game.

--

Take for example, "Commend Starblaydia." In that resolution I spent almost half my time talking about the leadership he had shown in his community, rather than his team's successes. Beyond that I spent a lot of words (27%) talking, more abstractly, about what made Starblaydia a good player - and 'debriefing' the reader as to why he was worthy a commendation over all.

48% - Specific Community Leadership / Activity
14% - Debriefing
13% - Values
10% - Specific Successes
9% - Definitions
5% - Introduction
1% - Operative

So specifics vs generalities was about 60-30.

I also spent a lot of time trying to define and introduce the reader to the world of NS Sports and concepts they'd need to understand to get why the nominee was so important to NS Sports.
Last edited by Unibot III on Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:52 am

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: I have now put up a third draft, which should hopefully cater to all of your needs. Any opinions, of course, are welcomed.

States of Glory
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Tinhampton wrote:playing at 48 WCs proper (including all WCs between the 32nd and 73th editions)

That should be '73rd', not '73th'.
#KanyeForPresident2K20
Make America Great Britain Again!
TWP's Minister for WA Affairs

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:05 pm

States of Glory wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:playing at 48 WCs proper (including all WCs between the 32nd and 73th editions)

That should be '73rd', not '73th'.

Thanks! The correction has been applied. Of course, any more thoughts on the proposal itself would be welcomed.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: So... anybody? Have any more opinions on this proposal?

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:33 am

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: Well, nobody's complaining, for the most part. This proposal has now been submitted.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:06 am

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: This proposal did gain speed earlier on, but it appears to have stagnated. In with a chance, yes, but still stagnated. If you'd excuse me, I'm just popping out for a bit, to check Forest's badge-ified World Census report and probably keep an eye out on GA business.
OOC: A dispatchified version of the campaign: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=803551
Last edited by Tinhampton on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri May 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: With only a single proposal in the queue - admittedly, one quickly racking up approvals - I thought that resubmission, and on the date we intended to file it for the first time, would be a good idea. So, lo and behold: Commend The Holy Empire, mark 2.

Unibot III
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Unibot III » Sat May 13, 2017 5:20 pm

You've sent out a campaign letter, right?

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat May 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Unibot III wrote:You've sent out a campaign letter, right?

Currect. It's basically what's in the campaign dispatch from a couple of posts above.

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Sat May 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Did this not get quorum the first time, or?

Unibot III
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Unibot III » Sun May 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Unibot III wrote:You've sent out a campaign letter, right?

Currect. It's basically what's in the campaign dispatch from a couple of posts above.

Hmmm. In my opinion, your problem isn't that the resolution isn't good, it's that your campaign letter is a bit of a mess. You can't overwhelm a delegate reader like that, you have to provide them with a very minimalist, very organized piece of writing. Something that immediately draws them in. Bold significant items, IE: links you want them to click on.

Like...

Dear ____,

I’ve recently submitted a new proposal entitled "Commend Alasdair I Frosticus." The resolution recognizes the contributions of Alasdair I Frosticus (better known as The Holy Empire), a nation that has consistently participated in NationStates' World Cup since the very start.

The Holy Empire, one of the sports community's better-known roleplayers, has partaken in 48 World Cups - more than any other - playing eight finals, winning four of them, and hosting another four (including one as The Archregimancy). Fielding a diverse array of squads over the years, The Holy Empire has always put quality before quantity in its roleplay.

Beyond their considerable sports achievements, The Holy Empire - via their IC territory (but OOC puppeteer), The Archregimancy - has often engaged in NationStates General debates ; he's recognized in those circles as a popular and respected contributor. You might also recognise TA as a Game Moderator.

Your approval is vital to the success of the proposal, so please approve "Commend Alasdair I Frosticus!"

If you’re interested, the draft thread and the prospective debate thread is available here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=407998

If you have any questions, suggestions or comments, don't hesitate to reply.

Yours truly,
Tinhampton.

This letter is based off the campaign's I used to run. It's a bit dated, I suppose. It's also the prototype used in the SC Guide.

The current quorum rate (100+) is quite high so make sure you're contacting the hell of delegates. All of the delegates voting on the current resolution, for starters, plus contacting delegates who have supported proposals in the queue. We're talking like four hundred delegates or so.
Last edited by Unibot III on Sun May 14, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu May 18, 2017 12:35 am

I will note that 'Filed' looks a bit similar to 'Failed'. It might be best to use the standard nomenclature, i.e. 'IN QUEUE' or 'SUBMITTED'.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:28 am

This proposal has been submitted yet again.

Unibot III
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Unibot III » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Tinhampton wrote:This proposal has been submitted yet again.

Bonne chance, ambassador!
Last edited by Unibot III on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Tinhampton wrote:This proposal has been submitted yet again.
If it gets to quorum, I'll probably oppose. I don't think participating the World Cup a lot is enough to warrant a commendation.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:57 am

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. If you still haven't succeeded by that point - try yet again...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives