NATION

PASSWORD

DEFEATED: Commend Yelda

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Joshuahood
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Joshuahood » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Gun-Makers wrote:
Joshuahood wrote:I have my vote FOR, but I don't think my 16 votes will do much against the 300 vote margin....

On another note....

The Commonwealth of Mr Speer
4 hours ago Dear Delegate,

I like to seek your help to vote against the current resolution to Commend Yelda (http://www.nationstates.net/page=sc)

Yelda is one of those nations who is a Security Council regular. He spends a lot of time there, and frequently makes fun of resolutions that other people proposes. He's like the proverbial court joker. To many of his fellow regulars, his antics are funny, but to those people he makes fun of, they are nothing funny at all.

Yelda, A Mean Old Man, Kenny, and few others have seemed to form a kind of "Old Boys Club" in the Security Council. They frequently criticisms any proposals that are not submitted through the NS forum. This kind of group behavior in effect discourages non-regulars to participate in the process of resolution making.

Recently they also formed the habit of patting each other's back by proposing commendations for each other. Like this current Commend Yelda ---I'm sure you remember about a week ago we had a "Commend A Mean Old Man" resolution, and just before that, "Commend Antarctic Oasis (the region where Yelda comes from).... when does this end!?

Please help us send a message by voting NO to commend Yelda.

Thank you in advance.

Ambassador J D Speer

I got that twice from the same guy, which I hate :evil: . And "Old Boys Club?" What do they do, play bingo all day or something? I would've given it a kewler name, like The (insert number here) Triumverate, but that's just me... and this guy needs to check his facts and grammar. This put me over the edge FOR the Commendation, and I hope it does the same.

You only got it twice?! Lucky... And i agree with you. I was already FOR, but this just sent me over the edge.

Yeah... this has made me so mad that I'm gonna try to convince delegates FOR it....
Romulus Dion-Capulet Diablessa Potentia, Son of Elindra Kshrlmnt and Avakael Diablessa. Proud Grandson of Heras Savaer Dion
Former WA Delegate of Unknown
Raids participated in (regardless of outcome): 26

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Kanaia wrote:I completly agree, especially with missing the comma. :blush:

Heh. Sorry about the comma, I'm just bitchy like that. :p

I understand that it would be boring without antics, however every time I have read Yelda's posts, admittedly I was usually lurking, he has lacked civility.

Furthermore I believe 10KI sees the whole Fake Islands incident, despite claims that it was all in good fun, to be a directed insult to 10KI, especially since the region has been removed and refounded multiple times.

I'm sure they do, which is kind of the point. I think they're overreacting, and sadly, that may mean the difference between Yelda getting a (hilariously written) commendation and not. If the commendation were standard boilerplate "@@Nation@@ is so awesome" with Yelda in the nation field, I'd abstain at best. But it's a cross-section of NSUN/WA history in poetic format - it just has to pass!

In the end I believe this will pass when the various pacifics vote. However I feel that 10KI should not be vilified because it disagrees with a commendation of an individual with whom it has had a turbulent history.

I'm not interested in vilifying 10KI. I think that Ananke II has been remarkably polite during this whole thing, and I've been in a bind as delegate on a contentious vote before (and may again!). AD is entitled to an opinion, and I won't bore everybody by giving my view on that opinion again. When a commendation of 10KI comes up again, I'm not going to be waiting with torch and pitchfork to campaign against it. I'm more in favor of injecting humor into what can be dry and tedious debate. I want to see the RP side of things represented more in the SC. I think that "Commend Yelda" could help with both of those objectives while commending an active NSer.

Gun-Makers
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gun-Makers » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Opwanr wrote:Out of curiosity, how could you be FOR if you're not even a WA member?

Well...um...well I would be FOR if I was to join the WA. And that's the worst part, I think. I'm not even IN the WA and I got several of these. Don't have the exact number because I'd already deleted a couple before I started to count.

Iron Felix
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Iron Felix » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Krioval wrote:But it's a cross-section of NSUN/WA history in poetic format - it just has to pass!

"It is a declaration of WAR! Do not be deceived Ambassador Tyvok! This "TV show" is not what it seems!", Felix shouts while leaping from desk to desk, still wearing the horse's head and brandishing a vintage Tokarev TT-33 pistol.
Vanguard of the Yeldan Worker's Revolution

Vitius
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitius » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Your commendation is being defeated at the moment. A silly poem cannot win Yelda, no matter how humourous he is, a commendation.
Bambi Praxis wrote:
4years wrote:Hitler was worse, but I hate stalin more.

Maintain the rage! Spell the bastard's name without a capital letter, that will settle the score!
Proud Reform Jew

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:17 pm

I got the same TG earlier (and wasn't planning on posting it, but since it's already up here ... ), and I have a few comments ...

Joshuahood wrote:Yelda, A Mean Old Man, Kenny, and few others have seemed to form a kind of "Old Boys Club" in the Security Council. They frequently criticisms any proposals that are not submitted through the NS forum. This kind of group behavior in effect discourages non-regulars to participate in the process of resolution making.

First of all, if proposals are not written/drafted on the forum, what sort of "process of resolution making" is being discouraged? Secondly, I've noticed a number of situations as of late where AMOM, at the very least, has tried to help other nations improve their drafted proposals. In other words, this argument is patently false.

Joshuahood wrote:Recently they also formed the habit of patting each other's back by proposing commendations for each other. Like this current Commend Yelda ---I'm sure you remember about a week ago we had a "Commend A Mean Old Man" resolution, and just before that, "Commend Antarctic Oasis (the region where Yelda comes from).... when does this end!?

First off, "Commend a Mean Old Man" was about 2 months ago - early to mid February, if I recall correctly. And, secondly, Commend Antarctic Oasis was passed loooong after that one (maybe 2 weeks ago)? Secondly, apparently I am considered a member of this "Old Boys Club" ! Because, as this telegram author has clearly failed to note, I am the one who authored Commend Antarctic Oasis. (And, as I told him in my response telegram, criticizing a proposal that I authored? Really isn't the best method of getting me to change my mind/vote.)

Joshuahood wrote:Please help us send a message by voting NO to commend Yelda.

I remain, as I was before, a strong vote in favor - with all 7 votes that I carry. Hopefully, some of the larger regions who have yet to vote will register their votes in favor in the coming hours. Ordinarily - like others here - I wouldn't get terribly worked up about a proposal that I support not passing. While I do agree that Yelda is deserving of a commendation, I'm sure that - in time - he will get his due. However, the spreading of partial truths (and a lack of understanding of the RP side of the WA forum) in attempt to cause this proposal to fail .... Well, to put it as nicely as I can, I'm very much not a fan. (Also, seriously, what did Yelda ever do to this author of the telegram? Either I missed something, or he's easily upset over things not going as he wants them to.)

Best wishes on the final outcome of this proposal, AMOM!
Ambassador Lizzy Hall
Leader of the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate to Monkey Island
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Old Boys Club? How'd these people find out about... oh, wait. SC business, most of whom aren't part of... that. Which totally doesn't exist. Nothing to see here.

Anyone want a bottle of Ennish Shandy, to smooth over this lack-of-anything-to-talk-about?

Stephanie Fulton, of Enn
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Juksereen
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Juksereen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:03 pm

NAY!!!
If you want to make the Security Council just a mere joke than you'll vote Aye, for making a mother fucking poem and not listing actual reasons in a normal and sufficient attitude is despicable and makes us look like assholes for considering it.

NAY!!
The Democratic States of Juksereen
President: Michael Juksereen
Vice President: Cindy Bernstein
Secretary of Defence: Josh Gadd
Secretary of Foreign Affairs: Dennis Commoner
Secretary of Domestic Affairs: Camile Sents
Treasurer: Bob Setty

Poree
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Poree » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:48 pm

Juksereen wrote:NAY!!!
If you want to make the Security Council just a mere joke than you'll vote Aye, for making a mother fucking poem and not listing actual reasons in a normal and sufficient attitude is despicable and makes us look like assholes for considering it.

And using profanity rather then well articulated arguments helps your cause how?
Sarah Woodman
Representative of The Empire of Poree
Regional Delegate

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Vitius wrote:Your commendation is being defeated at the moment. A silly poem cannot win Yelda, no matter how humourous he is, a commendation.

*snap*

Say, you strike me as a fairly clever person. Why don't you show us all how to write a proper commendation? How about you write, oh I don't know, a commendation of your own region, 10000 Islands?

:clap:
OOC puppet of Yelda

Ananke II
Envoy

Founded: Mar 15, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ananke II » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:15 am

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:*snap*

Say, you strike me as a fairly clever person. Why don't you show us all how to write a proper commendation? How about you write, oh I don't know, a commendation of your own region, 10000 Islands?

:clap:

Bah, don't put silly ideas into our newbies' heads. Nicely done though. ;)

I'm not really sure why a 10ki commendation keeps getting mentioned though. Whether you're thinking it's useful as a vague threat or as bribery you're rather wasting your time. In my people's minds there's no correlation between the two, so you won't change anyone's opinion (other than possibly make more of them vote against) by bribing/threatening them with a commendation none of them expect. ;)
Last edited by Ananke II on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:38 am

Ananke II wrote:...threat...bribery....bribing/threatening.....

?

What in the world are you talking about? :blink:
OOC puppet of Yelda

Diatraba
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Diatraba » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:54 am

Vitius wrote:Your commendation is being defeated at the moment. A silly poem cannot win Yelda, no matter how humourous he is, a commendation.

I agree (yes I know I'm breaking the rules of my sabbatical a bit, but I just HAD to see how this turned out!)
I am on sabbatical from now (Easter Saturday) until 19 April - I will participate in SOME debates, but not all of them
Je suis d'accord (oui je sais je suis d'enfreindre les règles de mon congé sabbatique un peu, mais je me devais de voir comment cela se sur!)
Je suis en congé sabbatique à partir de maintenant (samedi de Pâques) jusqu'au 19 avril - Je vais participer à des débats certains, mais pas tous
Dimitri MacCarinson - Honourary Chief Ambassador on behalf of the Communist State of Diatraba (PMT)- One nation, one vision!
DEFCON: 3 - army at rediness - rediness levels above normal
UK Threat Level: Substantial - an attack is a strong possibility
REDCON: 2 - Full Alert - Army ready to fight
My Nation's Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian Authoritarian: 3.69
My Political Compass
Our economic report

Crabulonia
Minister

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Crabulonia » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:06 am

A Crabulonian protestor outside the destroyed 4th wall of the SC was apoplectic with rage. How could this proposal be debated so dramatically but there being no pop corn present?

He picked up his sandwhich bored and cut out a shape, a silouhette of Orville Redenbacher. The lone protester yelled with a megaphone;

'Orville Redenbacher! Where are you?'

Meanwhile inside, some form of chaos ensued. This made the crippling urge for popcorn only more.

'I wonder if Orville still has that storefront...' thought the protestor.

Fuaidh Mor
Attaché

Founded: Oct 24, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Fuaidh Mor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:06 am

I too have that TG from Mr Speer who seems to have overlooked my vote for. (At no point does he suggest I should change sides). But I also doubt he knew that I am also Fuaidh Mor.

The old boys club could conceivably include many of the regular posters on this forum including myself; after all I do believe that a debated and thus properly amended motion tends to be better than the ones knocked out in a few seconds by a newbie.

Juksereen
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Juksereen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:07 am

I'm inclined to agree.

If the World Assembly wishes to consider Commendations in the forms of poems, and commend someone for harboring puppets (last time I checked was agaisnt game rules) and being funny, than it surprises me how stupid mods could've been to let this qeue, and how we must not take our Assembly seriously at all.

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:31 am

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:

?

Pascal started to get all hot and sweaty, pulling his uncomfortable collar. "I don't ... I really just.. don't know what they're talking about."
Last edited by Unibotian WASC Mission on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:47 am

Juksereen wrote:... and commend someone for harboring puppets (last time I checked was agaisnt game rules) ...

Haha, I guess this is what comes from belonging to a body where the rules are simply made up as we go along. Now owning puppets is against the rules! Or commending someone for owning puppets, in which case, "Commend Sedgistan" really ought to be deleted.

Take that, mods! Image
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:59 am

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:
Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:

?

Pascal started to get all hot and sweaty, pulling his uncomfortable collar. "I don't ... I really just.. don't know what they're talking about."

*Kalibarr Hides the cookie he was about to start eating* :p

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:03 am

Kalibarr wrote:
Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:

?

Pascal nodded slowly, winking.

Juksereen
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Juksereen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:07 am

Kalibarr wrote:
Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:

?

:D :lol:
Yes yes, someone who knows a little about a good Commendation I take it? :P :D

Juksereen
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Juksereen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:07 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Juksereen wrote:... and commend someone for harboring puppets (last time I checked was agaisnt game rules) ...

Haha, I guess this is what comes from belonging to a body where the rules are simply made up as we go along. Now owning puppets is against the rules! Or commending someone for owning puppets, in which case, "Commend Sedgistan" really ought to be deleted.

Take that, mods! Image

And yes, that is very true.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:33 am

Juksereen wrote:And yes, that is very true.

OK, is this a just game you like playing? What is very true? Image
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005

Postby The Palentine » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:07 am

The dolphins at the Palentine delegation really seem to revel in this sort of chaos. They gleefully start shouting profanity at the delegates, however they realize their efforts are being drowned out. It was time for reinforcements. One of the dolphins swam through the portal in the bottom of the aquarium, and a few minutes later returned with about 12 more dolphins. These dolphins joined their fellow pod members and started swearing with words too dirty and vile to dare mention. Happily and gleefully they hooted, and jeered, casting aspersions on the chastity and professional occupatuions of various delegates' sisters, and mothers... and the legitimacy of some of those very same delegates.
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:20 am

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:

?

Oh you didn't? Did you?
OOC puppet of Yelda

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives