NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Protection of Nuclear Armaments

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Protection of Nuclear Armaments

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Draft 11:
Protection of Nuclear Armaments
A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.

Category: International SecurityStrength: MildProposed by: Nilla Wayfarers

Affirming the right for member nations to possess nuclear armaments;

Understanding that some nations may intend to promote violence with such armaments;

Acknowledging the interest of some nations in peacefully exchanging nuclear armaments;

this august Assembly hereby,

Requires that member nations with nuclear armaments take every precaution within the restriction of existing legislation to protect these armaments from entities outside of their respective militaries or those of nations with whom they engage in the peaceful exchange of nuclear armaments;

Further requires that no member nation engage in the distribution of nuclear armaments with any nation known to incite conflict on a large scale or use its military assets ambiguously.

This resolution was in conjunction with a suspended repeal of GA#10 Nuclear Arms Possession Act (NAPA).

Acknowledging the need for member nations to defend themselves;
Understanding that nuclear armaments are sometimes a necessary means of defense;
Noticing the possibility of warfare between member nations and other nations;
Maintains the right for member nations to possess nuclear armaments;
Requires that member nations with nuclear armaments take every precaution within the restriction of existing legislation to protect these armaments from entities outside of their respective militaries or those of nations with whom they engage in the peaceful exchange of nuclear armaments;
Further requires that no member nation engage in the distribution of nuclear armaments with any nation known to incite conflict on a large scale or use its military assets ambiguously.
Understanding that nuclear armaments are sometimes a necessary means of defense;
Maintains the right for member nations to possess nuclear armaments;
Requires that member nations with nuclear armaments take every precaution to protect these armaments from entities outside of their respective militaries or those of nations with whom they engage in the peaceful exchange of nuclear armaments;
Understanding that nuclear arms are sometimes a necessary means of defense;
Maintains the right for member nations to possess nuclear arms;
Requires that member nations with nuclear arms take every precaution to protect these arms from entities outside of their respective militaries or those of nations with whom they engage in the peaceful exchange of nuclear arms.
Demands that member nations with nuclear arms take every precaution to protect these arms from entities outside of their respective militaries or those of nations with whom they engage in the peaceful exchange of nuclear arms.
Demands that member nations with nuclear arms take every precaution to protect these arms from entities outside of their respective militaries.
Requires that only individuals within member nations' military who are proficiently trained in safely handling nuclear arms have access to nuclear arms;
Demands that member nations with nuclear arms take every precaution to protect these arms from entities outside of their respective militaries.
Requires that only individuals within member nations's military who are proficient in safely handling nuclear arms have access to nuclear arms;
Further requires that individuals intending to engage in an act of terrorism or other inhumane violence be made incapable of accessing nuclear arms.
Requires that only individuals within member nations's military who are familiar with nuclear arms have access to nuclear arms;
Further requires that individuals intending to engage in an act of terrorism or other inhumane violence be refused access to nuclear arms.
Defining "belligerents" as individuals intending to act in undue hostility;
Requires that member nations possessing nuclear arms restrict access to said arms, such that they cannot be accessed by belligerents.
Requires that member nations possessing nuclear arms restrict access to said arms, such that they cannot be accessed by belligerents.

This august Assembly also
Recommends that all member nations learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.
Last edited by Nilla Wayfarers on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Our country is the world--our countrymen are mankind.
WA Delegate for Liberationists (Ambassador Oscar Mondelez).

For: good things
Against: bad things

Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Want to make the WA more democratic? Show your support here.
The Greatest GA Resolution Author Ever wrote:Due to more of the Econmy using computers instead of Paper The Manufactoring for paper prducts shpuld decrease because were wasting rescources on paper ad more paper is being thrown in the trash

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:39 pm

"And what would define "belligerents", Ambassador?

Fully opposed, seeing as this does the exact same thing as NAPA."
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:43 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:"And what would define "belligerents", Ambassador?

I think belligerents is a pretty self-explanatory term.

Maybe you read this before I updated the OP, but I have a link to a repeal of NAPA.

The Greatest GA Resolution Author Ever wrote:Due to more of the Econmy using computers instead of Paper The Manufactoring for paper prducts shpuld decrease because were wasting rescources on paper ad more paper is being thrown in the trash

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:"And what would define "belligerents", Ambassador?

I think belligerents is a pretty self-explanatory term.

No, it isn't. Without defining it, I can set whatever criteria I want, including setting "belligerent" as "nations with the word 'Nilla' in their flags."

Maybe you read this before I updated the OP, but I have a link to a repeal of NAPA.

And why should we give you two badges instead of just leaving NAPA as-is for the exact same thing?
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:00 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Nilla Wayfarers wrote:I think belligerents is a pretty self-explanatory term.

No, it isn't. Without defining it, I can set whatever criteria I want, including setting "belligerent" as "nations with the word 'Nilla' in their flags."

Draft amended.

And why should we give you two badges instead of just leaving NAPA as-is for the exact same thing?

Read NAPA, then read this draft. There are several differences.
Last edited by Nilla Wayfarers on Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:03 pm

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:And why should we give you two badges instead of just leaving NAPA as-is for the exact same thing?

Read NAPA, then read this draft. There are several differences.[/quote]

No, there aren't.

Your two clauses are:

1. Nations can have nukes if they want.
2. Nations need to take precautions to keep said nukes out of the wrong hands.

NAPA has both of those.
Co-Author of SC #204

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Nilla Wayfarers wrote:Read NAPA, then read this draft. There are several differences.

No, there aren't.

Your two clauses are:

1. Nations can have nukes if they want.
2. Nations need to take precautions to keep said nukes out of the wrong hands.

NAPA has both of those.

If you read my repeal, you'd see that NAPA's "wrong hands" clause is not appropriate - that's the point of offering this replacement.

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:49 pm

Barbera: We are categorically opposed to any proposal which has both the words 'Bear' and 'Arms' in the title.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:45 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Barbera: We are categorically opposed to any proposal which has both the words 'Bear' and 'Arms' in the title.

Ambassador, is this meant to be humorous, or is it a legitimate concern of yours?

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:11 pm

Lara Qzu continues quietly typing though she knows better. She hopes if the repeal somehow works the Supreme Court of Bakhton will vote against this replacement to achieve a nuclear weapon-free world.
Last edited by Bakhton on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:17 pm

"This bans the use of nuclear weapons entirely, as killing would count as undue hostility. To prevent belligerents under this definition from accessing nuclear weapons would effectively prohibit their use."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:05 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:

"This bans the use of nuclear weapons entirely, as killing would count as undue hostility. To prevent belligerents under this definition from accessing nuclear weapons would effectively prohibit their use."

Killing would not be undue if the use of a nuclear armament were necessary under the circumstances of a conflict.
In fact, I still question whether "belligerent" really ought to be defined in the draft text.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"This bans the use of nuclear weapons entirely, as killing would count as undue hostility. To prevent belligerents under this definition from accessing nuclear weapons would effectively prohibit their use."

Killing would not be undue if the use of a nuclear armament were necessary under the circumstances of a conflict.

"That kind of loose assumption is as bad as "wrong hands". A fatalistic, radical organization would have a much different view of "necessity" than a more restrained government for the use of nuclear weapons."

In fact, I still question whether "belligerent" really ought to be defined in the draft text.

"I question whether this is really any different from GAR#10, and therefore whether the entire repeal effort is worth anybody's time."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:16 am

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:Killing would not be undue if the use of a nuclear armament were necessary under the circumstances of a conflict.

"That kind of loose assumption is as bad as "wrong hands". A fatalistic, radical organization would have a much different view of "necessity" than a more restrained government for the use of nuclear weapons."

I've edited the draft to hopefully give a less vague delineation.

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:06 am

I've never really cared much about the NAPA pro/con battle to be honest. It's been around longer than I have and survived more attempts to be repealed than Auralia has used the term "abortion". That said;

If this proposed piece is to be the replacement for NAPA then I find myself preferring the original legislation. This piece only has two actual requirements and I find issue with both of them if I'm being frank.

Requires that only individuals within member nations's military who are familiar with nuclear arms have access to nuclear arms;

As vague goes, you've hit the nail on the head right here. I'm familiar with a number of things when I'm drunk ambassador, or I will certainly claim to be I assure you this by no right means I should EVER be permitted access to them. "Familiar" is a very loose and almost subjective term to be using to give someone access to nuclear warheads.

Further requires that individuals intending to engage in an act of terrorism or other inhumane violence be refused access to nuclear arms.

Now, this one I take particular exception to, because, bluntly speaking, you'll find Terrorists don't particularly give a shit if you tell them no. In my life Ambassador I've yet to encounter evidence wherein a determined terrorist has turned around and gone home because someone refused them access to something. It seems a very ill-thought out point if I'm honest and for some reason makes me a little annoyed reading it. But then I am tended to be short tempered.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:25 am

Abacathea wrote:I've never really cared much about the NAPA pro/con battle to be honest. It's been around longer than I have and survived more attempts to be repealed than Auralia has used the term "abortion". That said;

If this proposed piece is to be the replacement for NAPA then I find myself preferring the original legislation. This piece only has two actual requirements and I find issue with both of them if I'm being frank.

As vague goes, you've hit the nail on the head right here. I'm familiar with a number of things when I'm drunk ambassador, or I will certainly claim to be I assure you this by no right means I should EVER be permitted access to them. "Familiar" is a very loose and almost subjective term to be using to give someone access to nuclear warheads.

Now, this one I take particular exception to, because, bluntly speaking, you'll find Terrorists don't particularly give a shit if you tell them no. In my life Ambassador I've yet to encounter evidence wherein a determined terrorist has turned around and gone home because someone refused them access to something. It seems a very ill-thought out point if I'm honest and for some reason makes me a little annoyed reading it. But then I am tended to be short tempered.

Perhaps, ambassador, you'll be less annoyed with my changes.

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:40 am

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:Requires that only individuals within member nations's military who are proficient in safely handling nuclear arms have access to nuclear arms;
"So nobody new could be trained in that work, even under the supervision of people who are already proficient in it?"

Further requires that individuals intending to engage in an act of terrorism or other inhumane violence be made incapable of accessing nuclear arms.
"But how are those nations that don't have ready access to reliable oracles to ensure this?!?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:42 am

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:I've edited the draft to hopefully give a less vague delineation.

"I, and probably any reasonably competent ambassador here, could make an argument that the mere use of nuclear weapons on soft targets is "inhumane" based on the effects of a nuclear detonation, thus banning nuclear weapons usage. Nuclear weapons cause extreme burns radiation sickness, violence, and also all the normal inhumane injuries that go with a large bomb. Can you really argue that the use of any such device isn't inherently inhumane? Its a bad standard, ambassador."

Requires that only individuals within member nations's military who are proficient in safely handling nuclear arms have access to nuclear arms;

"Also, you have an error in "Nation's" in the form of an extra S. Moreover, this doesn't actually mandate anything. Who on earth wouldn't have competent personnel in charge of their most expensive, dangerous strategic weaponry? It's a pointless inclusion, because incompetent invites loss of the strategic asset, which no sane nation, bellicose or peaceable, would do."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:44 am

Bakhton wrote:Lara Qzu continues quietly typing though she knows better. She hopes if the repeal somehow works the Supreme Court of Bakhton will vote against this replacement to achieve a nuclear weapon-free world.

PARSONS: We oppose any kind of legislation which would lead to the creation of mass mobilisation and warfare at a level not seen in the modern world. We also categorically oppose any repeal of 10 GA and will unconditionally vote it down ... especially if the drafts for repeal and replacement are both badly formatted, badly written, and exceptionally vague.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:48 am

Bears Armed Mission wrote:
Nilla Wayfarers wrote:Requires that only individuals within member nations's military who are proficient in safely handling nuclear arms have access to nuclear arms;
"So nobody new could be trained in that work, even under the supervision of people who are already proficient in it?"

"But how are those nations that don't have ready access to reliable oracles to ensure this?!?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,

Also the requirement to "make them incapable of accessing nuclear arms" is somewhat vague. Do we take the nuclear arms off them? Do we lock the people up? Do we shoot them? Do sit them down and teach them to be nice people so they don't want to engage in an act of terrorism?

And - come to think of it - if they ARE intending to engage in an act of terrorism, and we (somehow) manage to predict this fact, and take their nuclear weapons off them, doesn't that mean they'll just resort to C4 or some other equally destructive substance? Which would still kill several hundred people and do quite a lot of damage to quite a lot of people and buildings?

Wouldn't it be better if someone is going to commit an act of terror to stop them committing the act of terror, rather than simply taking the nuclear aspect out of it? I mean - I get that blowing up a nuke in the centre of Greater Leadworth will probably be worse than blowing up a brick of C4, but still - if I it comes to it, I'd rather NOT have anything blowing up a tall if I could.....
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:51 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Barbera: We are categorically opposed to any proposal which has both the words 'Bear' and 'Arms' in the title.

PARSONS: About that... in the Democratic Empire, arms are entirely legal. There is just a strict licensing programme for ammunition.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:35 am

We have amended that clause to be slightly more reasonable.

Many member nations possess ample investigative capacities to avoid such an untoward use of these armaments... and I would find it unreasonable for nations without sufficient means of domestic protection to possess nuclear arms.

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:We've edited the draft to hopefully give a less vague delineation.

"I, and probably any reasonably competent ambassador here, could make an argument that the mere use of nuclear weapons on soft targets is "inhumane" based on the effects of a nuclear detonation, thus banning nuclear weapons usage. Nuclear weapons cause extreme burns radiation sickness, violence, and also all the normal inhumane injuries that go with a large bomb. Can you really argue that the use of any such device isn't inherently inhumane? Its a bad standard, ambassador."

I've made an amendment to the draft that will hopefully appease this concern.

Moreover, this doesn't actually mandate anything. Who on earth wouldn't have competent personnel in charge of their most expensive, dangerous strategic weaponry? It's a pointless inclusion, because incompetent invites loss of the strategic asset, which no sane nation, bellicose or peaceable, would do."

Simply because it makes sense for a member nation to have competent individuals maintain their nuclear stores does not mean all member nations would - without legislation such as this.
Calladan wrote:
Bears Armed Mission wrote:"So nobody new could be trained in that work, even under the supervision of people who are already proficient in it?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,

Also the requirement to "make them incapable of accessing nuclear arms" is somewhat vague. Do we take the nuclear arms off them? Do we lock the people up? Do we shoot them? Do sit them down and teach them to be nice people so they don't want to engage in an act of terrorism?

And - come to think of it - if they ARE intending to engage in an act of terrorism, and we (somehow) manage to predict this fact, and take their nuclear weapons off them, doesn't that mean they'll just resort to C4 or some other equally destructive substance? Which would still kill several hundred people and do quite a lot of damage to quite a lot of people and buildings?

Wouldn't it be better if someone is going to commit an act of terror to stop them committing the act of terror, rather than simply taking the nuclear aspect out of it? I mean - I get that blowing up a nuke in the centre of Greater Leadworth will probably be worse than blowing up a brick of C4, but still - if I it comes to it, I'd rather NOT have anything blowing up a tall if I could.....

This draft is meant to legislate regarding the possession of nuclear arms. I thought that, at least, was clear. For it to legislate regarding other kinds of weaponry is neither permitted nor sensible.
Last edited by Nilla Wayfarers on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Second Moon Rising
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Second Moon Rising » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:03 am

The Second Moon Rising does not find this proposal to be an acceptable replacement to the already existing GAR #10, as the majority of the proposal is simply a re-wording of GAR #10's first and third clause.
The Riser delegate stands at just over six and a half feet tall and bears a vaguely humanoid shape. All other features are obscured by layers upon layers of elaborate robes and veils in varying patterns and weaves of silver, the hands are covered with meticulously wrapped strips of cloth so that only the tips of short nails are exposed, and even the voice is ambiguous. The plate on the Riser delegate's desk bears the Romanization "M'yullouand'inthouahuynn y yht Shoa Vouaniya A'alayoulin Luath'louad". Stuck to that, there is a large blue Post-it note with elegant handwriting that reads "Do not bother to try and pronounce this one's title. This one is simply the Riser delegate.".

Nilla Wayfarers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilla Wayfarers » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:05 am

The Second Moon Rising wrote:The Second Moon Rising does not find this proposal to be an acceptable replacement to the already existing GAR #10, as the majority of the proposal is simply a re-wording of GAR #10's first and third clause.

Ambassador, I don't think you understand: the entire purpose of this proposal is to reword the terms of GAR#10 such that it is less vague and ambiguous.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:19 am

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:Simply because it makes sense for a member nation to have competent individuals maintain their nuclear stores does not mean all member nations would - without legislation such as this.

"But why would they? What possible benefit is there in leaving their most prized weapon in the hands of morons? I'm not arguing that this clause would or wouldn't prevent that, I'm arguing that there is no reason in the first place for this issue to exist. This is like mandating nations not trade their military assets for all of the other nation's lions. Sure, some nations (I'm looking at you, Finland) would do it, but those nations are so slim in the minority as to make no difference, and probably have a host of other problems far more fundamental than the training of their military personnel. Its a nonissue.

"Also, the edits have two problems. First, mandating that only state actors own nuclear weapons is a great idea, but doesn't require a repeal of NAPA. If that's your goal, you don't need NAPA to be repealed at all. The rest is a substandard replacement for an effective piece of legislation."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives