NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Repeal "Quarantine Regulation"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:54 pm

Umeria wrote:You know this room has windows, right?

Fairburn: So what? You may have seen the marker, but you couldn't have known that it was permanent. Windows tend to muffle sound.

Umeria wrote:Does anyone have any comments, about this repeal, not about Lockwood's unconsciousness?

Neville: It seems fine to me, though you'll have to ask someone with more knowledge in this field.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Umeria
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:35 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: So what? You may have seen the marker, but you couldn't have known that it was permanent. Windows tend to muffle sound.

When Carlyle took this job, she didn't expect to be in danger from pranks like this.
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Neville: It seems fine to me, though you'll have to ask someone with more knowledge in this field.

"Well, it seems like a fine time to submit, then."
Ambassador Anthony Lockwood, at your service.
Author of GAR #389

"Umeria - We start with U"

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:42 pm

Umeria wrote:"Well, it seems like a fine time to submit, then."

OOC: Haven't looked at your proposal's latest draft yet, but if I was you, I'd wait to submit until the submitted list has cleared up a bit. There seem to be various illegal/naive/silly proposals there right now.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:27 pm

Araraukar wrote:

OOC: Haven't looked at your proposal's latest draft yet, but if I was you, I'd wait to submit until the submitted list has cleared up a bit. There seem to be various illegal/naive/silly proposals there right now.

OOC: I wasn't actually going to submit it. "I'm submitting this if no one has anything else to say" just seems to be the one thing that can get people to comment about my proposals during lulls.
Author of GAR #389

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:36 pm

I have no problems with the proposal at hand. I will support a submission effort in two days if no further responses are garnered.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Cogoria
Attaché

Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cogoria » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:46 pm

Cogoria feels that the current draft is as good as it is likely to get. Though despite acknowledging the effort that has gone into writing this repeal, we look forward to voting against it.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:04 pm

Araraukar wrote:

OOC: I don't want to be that guy, but it's 'if I were you'. You use the subjunctive mood in this case, not the indicative.

Umeria wrote:OOC: I wasn't actually going to submit it. "I'm submitting this if no one has anything else to say" just seems to be the one thing that can get people to comment about my proposals during lulls.

OOC: Now that you've revealed your technique, it's not going to fool us anymore. :P

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:43 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: Now that you've revealed your technique, it's not going to fool us anymore. :P

OOC: Yes it will. I'll just add "I mean it this time". :D
Imperium Anglorum wrote:I have no problems with the proposal at hand. I will support a submission effort in two days if no further responses are garnered.

Two days it is. If no one has any more proposal objections by Wednesday night, I'm going to submit it. I mean it this time.
Author of GAR #389

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:12 am

Umeria wrote:
The World Assembly,

Understanding that the logistics of quarantines raise many issues due to the individual's needs conflicting with society's;

Acknowledging that the resolution puts a number of measures into place which fixes some of these issues and improves the standards of quarantines;

Regretting that 385 GA fails to cover many issues involving medical ethics and medicine within a quarantine;
Is there a reason why this could not be covered in a further resolution?

Questioning whether the resolution's four point definition of "treatment" is malleable enough to cover untested methods or procedures;
Eh? What's the precise problem here? It allows such untested methods or procedures or it disallows them?

Concerned that 385 GA requires any appropriate treatment available to be given to infected persons regardless of whether the treatment would, as a side effect, permanently cripple the person;
I would like an explanation of this because I don't see how it requires such.

Unsettled by the resolution's mandate to put infected persons in the nearest quarantine to them, causing drastic displacement if a person happened to be far away from their home at the time;
Considering that a nation would only need to enact the measures contained in the resolution in a major crisis which would "significantly decrease the nation's functioning and/or well-being", is it really a major issue that a person might wind up in a quarantine far away from home?

Distraught by 385 GA's complete lack of information on what constitutes appropriate force when restraining infected persons attempting to escape a quarantine;
So what?

Believing that the resolution does not properly address these matters, and skims many central issues on the topic of quarantines;

Worried that 385 GA makes it extremely difficult to pass further legislation on ethical problems as pertaining to quarantines;

Hoping to clear the hastiness of the resolution from these halls and pass a new resolution that fills the gaping hole 385 GA created;

Hereby repeals "Quarantine Regulation".

"My comments are above on specific sections. This is full of petty nitpicking. We will not support."

- Ted Hornwood
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:32 pm

Bananaistan wrote:This is full of petty nitpicking.

Fairburn: I agree. Ambassador Lockwood, pay no attention to Ambassador Hornwood.

Neville: Wait, both of their names end in 'wood'?

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:17 pm

Lockwood is reawakened my Hornwood's comments.
Bananaistan wrote:Is there a reason why this could not be covered in a further resolution?

"Yes. The reason is that it would almost certainly constitute a House of Cards violation."
Bananaistan wrote:Eh? What's the precise problem here? It allows such untested methods or procedures or it disallows them?

"The problem is it's too vague to tell whether a given untested method should be used on an infected person."
Bananaistan wrote:I would like an explanation of this because I don't see how it requires such.

"Permanently crippling someone as a consequence of curing a disease can be considered necessary harm, and would, in many horrific cases, be legal."
Bananaistan wrote:Considering that a nation would only need to enact the measures contained in the resolution in a major crisis which would "significantly decrease the nation's functioning and/or well-being", is it really a major issue that a person might wind up in a quarantine far away from home?

"Yes. They would spend their last days isolated from any close family comfort. It's an emotional thing."
Bananaistan wrote:So what?

"So member nations can undertake totally unjust practices in the name of disease control and there's be nothing the WA can do to stop it."
Bananaistan wrote:"My comments are above on specific sections. This is full of petty nitpicking. We will not support."

- Ted Hornwood

"I hope my explanations will change your mind."
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Neville: Wait, both of their names end in 'wood'?

"Well, my name makes more sense. One can definitely have a lock made of wood, but horns almost always consist of, well, horn."
Author of GAR #389

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:38 pm

Umeria wrote:"Well, my name makes more sense. One can definitely have a lock made of wood, but horns almost always consist of, well, horn."

Fairburn: Most horns I'm aware of are made from brass.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:08 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: I don't want to be that guy, but it's 'if I were you'. You use the subjunctive mood in this case, not the indicative.

OOC:
Thinking about what I, as a native speaker, knew was correct... it actually really doesn't make sense. You say "I was walking down the street", why would you say "If I were you"? That's about as logical as making people say "If you was me". No wonder the Finnish guy said it wrong.

Umeria wrote:"Well, my name makes more sense. One can definitely have a lock made of wood, but horns almost always consist of, well, horn."

"Our intelligence reports do not indicate the geographical location of Umeria or your nation's precise origins..." Blackbourne remarks as he scrolls through data on his wrist. "But do you not know of alphorns? They are not a common musical instrument, especially in Excidium Planetis."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:18 pm

"Apologies; I was thinking of horns such as the one on a rhinoceros. But wooden locks still are more common."
Author of GAR #389

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:04 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:

Fairburn: Most horns I'm aware of are made from brass.

OOC: The English horn (Cor anglais) is made of wood. But as it happens, it isn't English in any way. It's actually Silesian.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:23 am

Cubbins steps in.

"This discussion of horns is very interesting, but we should get to the matter at hand. Can we submit the proposal now? Or does Mr. Hornwood find Lockwood's explanations unsatisfying?
Author of GAR #389

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:53 am

"A fine job you did getting everyone to stop talking about horns," says Carlyle, "it seems your bluntness silenced everyone for good."

"Oh, this happens all the time," says Lockwood, "I'm sure people will start talking again in a week or two."
Author of GAR #389

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:11 pm

Umeria wrote:"A fine job you did getting everyone to stop talking about horns," says Carlyle, "it seems your bluntness silenced everyone for good."

"Oh, this happens all the time," says Lockwood, "I'm sure people will start talking again in a week or two."

OOC: Just threaten to submit, then sit back and watch.

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Umeria wrote:"A fine job you did getting everyone to stop talking about horns," says Carlyle, "it seems your bluntness silenced everyone for good."

OOC: Just threaten to submit, then sit back and watch.

OOC: Okay then. Two days from this post's time stamp, I will submit.
Author of GAR #389

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Umeria wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: Just threaten to submit, then sit back and watch.

OOC: Okay then. Two days from this post's time stamp, I will submit.

OOC: I should have told you to be vague. Now you'll have to submit if no-one comments within two days.

I guess that's what I get for being vague. :P

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:45 pm

Umeria wrote:OOC: Okay then. Two days from this post's time stamp, I will submit.

OOC: I should have told you to be vague. Now you'll have to submit if no-one comments within two days.

Oh no, heaven forbid I ever get to submit this.

Two days is plenty of time for someone with an objection to voice it.
Author of GAR #389

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:33 am

Umeria wrote:Oh no, heaven forbid I ever get to submit this.

OOC: Submit it and someone will log in the day after, point out a fatal flaw and you or they will have to do a GHR to have it pulled for rewriting. :P

The problem with you not getting comments is that there are a lot of more interesting things afoot (like the influx of Reddites and the GA Council) that take people's attention.

States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: I don't want to be that guy, but it's 'if I were you'. You use the subjunctive mood in this case, not the indicative.

OOC: This came to mind... :P

And this. :lol:
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Umeria wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: I should have told you to be vague. Now you'll have to submit if no-one comments within two days.

Oh no, heaven forbid I ever get to submit this.

OOC: That sort of reasoning is exactly why you have to draft a repeal in the first place. :P

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:59 pm

OOc: I see this has now been submitted. PPU still has no official opinion one way or another, so if it makes it to vote, I'll be voting based on whether the proposal text makes enough sense at the time. :p

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:08 pm

OOC: It seems my campaign telegram didn't reach anyone. Apparently, I have no idea how to use API.
Author of GAR #389

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives