NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Environmental Warfare Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

West Angola
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:46 am

Bears Armed wrote:Unfortunately that makes the title too long: The limit is 30 characters, including spaces.

"Thank you for pointing that out. We've mulled it over and will be using "Environmental Warfare Act" unless something better comes to mind."
Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95
Fourth Place: Cup of Harmony 59; Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 55; Champion: Cup of Harmony 57

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:28 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:That's not at all what I was referring to.

OOC: Not all the posts have been in IC, though.

West Angola wrote:"Thank you for pointing that out. We've mulled it over and will be using "Environmental Warfare Act" unless something better comes to mind."

That probably works better than the ecoterrorism one, but then changes the feel of the text, making me think this should be in IS instead. Especially with language like "to guard against such acts within their own borders".
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:That's not at all what I was referring to.

OOC: Not all the posts have been in IC, though.

All of my "roleplay's militant side" has, though, and it is what you said you were ignoring.

And at least in this thread, the only OOC I made was real life examples of IC arguments (Bat bombs to provide real life example of animals as strategic weapons, horses as invasive species). I can't recall other times in other threads recently where I OOCly argued from a heavily jingoistic perspective. I hope I didn't, because I'm not jingoistic in real life.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

West Angola
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:36 pm

Araraukar wrote:That probably works better than the ecoterrorism one, but then changes the feel of the text, making me think this should be in IS instead. Especially with language like "to guard against such acts within their own borders".

(OOC: I agree with your reasoning, but I'm wary about flipping back since Mal said it was global disarmament rather than IS.)
Fourth Place: Cup of Harmony 59; Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 55; Champion: Cup of Harmony 57

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 am

West Angola wrote:
Araraukar wrote:That probably works better than the ecoterrorism one, but then changes the feel of the text, making me think this should be in IS instead. Especially with language like "to guard against such acts within their own borders".

(OOC: I agree with your reasoning, but I'm wary about flipping back since Mal said it was global disarmament rather than IS.)

It's definitely GD rather than IS. I don't see anyway that this could reasonably increase military expenditures globally, when it severely restricts the weapons and tactics nations may use.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:37 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:"Wait, does acid-spewing cavalry count as a chemical weapon? That's interesting if they do... what if you had a sapient species of soldier who possessed that ability? Would normal citizens be considered chemical weapons? Schultz! Bring me a copy of the Chemical Weapons Accord!"

The delegation for Falcania would like to note that it has been observed on several historical occasions that when two populations from vastly different regions meet, they bring their microbes with them. Entire populations have been ravaged by foreign diseases which the native populations have not built an immunity for. Should a soldier setting foot in a new theatre where the local peoples and wildlife are unable to resist the contagious microbes living in his body, be considered a biological weapon?
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

West Angola
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:40 am

Falcania wrote:The delegation for Falcania would like to note that it has been observed on several historical occasions that when two populations from vastly different regions meet, they bring their microbes with them. Entire populations have been ravaged by foreign diseases which the native populations have not built an immunity for. Should a soldier setting foot in a new theatre where the local peoples and wildlife are unable to resist the contagious microbes living in his body, be considered a biological weapon?

"As far as I am aware, Ambassador, such a situation fails the intent requirement of GAR #242. Unless the soldier is taking the action intending to infect those he makes contact with, he is not engaging in biological warfare."
Last edited by West Angola on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

West Angola
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:48 pm

(OOC: I'm going to start looking at submitting this, so I'd welcome any more feedback.)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:35 am

West Angola wrote:(OOC: I'm going to start looking at submitting this, so I'd welcome any more feedback.)

(OOC: I'll take a closer look at the current draft later today, and post my comments tomorrow.)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:18 am

West Angola wrote:
Falcania wrote:The delegation for Falcania would like to note that it has been observed on several historical occasions that when two populations from vastly different regions meet, they bring their microbes with them. Entire populations have been ravaged by foreign diseases which the native populations have not built an immunity for. Should a soldier setting foot in a new theatre where the local peoples and wildlife are unable to resist the contagious microbes living in his body, be considered a biological weapon?

"As far as I am aware, Ambassador, such a situation fails the intent requirement of GAR #242. Unless the soldier is taking the action intending to infect those he makes contact with, he is not engaging in biological warfare."

"Throw the word "intentional" into your definitions and make a clause that deals with accidental release, and you're golden."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Hannasea
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hannasea » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:36 am

"This is an interesting proposal and we don't have a strong objection to it. But why does it only apply to such a limited class of "environmental warfare"?"

Daniella Russel, MA PhD
Representing the office of:
Ambassador Brittany Hepburn
Semi-Permanent Representative to the World Assembly

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:01 am

Bears Armed wrote:(OOC: I'll take a closer look at the current draft later today, and post my comments tomorrow.)

OOC: I've now read it. No objections or suggested changes.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Wansul
Envoy

Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wansul » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:04 am

West Angola wrote:
Strength has always been a tough one for me, first off, so I'm not certain on that. Second, I'm unsure whether the second part of the Committee's expanded mandate is too much of a distraction from the international security intent. I included it because it's similar to the WACB's current authority under GAR #242.

I took a look through the WA's terrorism resolutions, and I don't believe it runs afoul of GAR #25 because that act defines terrorism explicitly as the use of violence, whereas this looks at the introduction of an invasive species.
Environmental Warfare Act
Category: Global Disarmament
Strength: Mild

The General Assembly,

DISMAYED at the damage caused to ecosystems by the introduction of invasive species,

RECOGNIZING the suffering of nations whose ecosystems are affected by these species,

FURTHER RECOGNIZING the major national security threat such species could represent,

Hereby,

1. DEFINES, for purposes of this resolution:

1. "Invasive Species" as a non-native, non-sapient species whose behavior results in extreme harm to ecosystems into which it is introduced,
  2. "Environmental Warfare" as the intentional introduction of an invasive species into a foreign ecosystem for purposes of damaging it,
2. PROHIBITS member nations from carrying out acts of environmental warfare against other nations,

3. MANDATES member nations take reasonable action to prevent those in their nation from carrying out acts of environmental warfare abroad, and to guard against such acts within their own borders,

4. EMPOWERS the World Assembly Commission on Biological Agents to:

1. Ensure nations remain up-to-date on the latest information regarding identification and prevention of invasive species, and
  2. Aid civilian populations who have been subjected to a environmental warfare attack in mitigating and reversing the effects of such.

7/1/16 (1): Changed strength to "Mild."
7/1/16 (2): Implemented Araraukar's formatting changes.
7/1/16 (3): Changed "bioterrorism" to "ecoterrorism."
7/3/16 (4): Changed category to "Global Disarmament."
7/3/16 (5): Re-wrote definition of "invasive species."
7/3/16 (6): Added "non-sentient" to the definition of "species."
7/4/16 (7): Changed "non-sentient" to "non-sapient."
7/17/16 (8): Changed "attacked" to "affected" in the second clause; removed "especially to nations with heavily agricultural economies," in the third clause; removed "natural" from "natural behavior" in the definition of invasive species; re-wrote the first new duty of the Biological Agents' Commission; added second draft.
7/18/16 (9): Combined clauses 3 and 4 (raising the domestic security action to a mandate)
7/22/16 (10): Changed "ecoterrorism" to "environmental warfare"; changed "uncontrollable harm" to "extreme harm" in the definition of invasive species; changed title to "Prevention of Environmental Warfare"; added third draft.
7/23/16 (11): Changed title to "Environmental Warfare Act".

Prevention of Ecoterrorism Act

The General Assembly,

DISMAYED at the damage caused to ecosystems by the introduction of invasive species,

RECOGNIZING the suffering of nations whose ecosystems are affected by these species,

FURTHER RECOGNIZING the major national security threat such species could represent,

Hereby,

1. "Invasive Species" as a non-native, non-sapient species whose behavior results in uncontrollable harm to ecosystems into which it is introduced,
  2. "Ecoterrorism" as the intentional introduction of an invasive species into a foreign ecosystem for purposes of damaging it,
2. PROHIBITS member nations from carrying out acts of ecoterrorism against other nations,

3. MANDATES member nations take reasonable action to prevent those in their nation from carrying out acts of ecoterrorism abroad, and to guard against such acts within their own borders,

4. EMPOWERS the World Assembly Commission on Biological Agents to:

1. Ensure nations remain up-to-date on the latest information regarding identification and prevention of invasive species, and
  2. Aid civilian populations who have been subjected to a ecoterror attack in mitigating and reversing the effects of such.

Prevention of Ecoterrorism Act

The General Assembly,

RECOGNIZING the suffering of nations whose ecosystems are attacked by these species,

FURTHER RECOGNIZING the major national security threat such species could represent, especially to nations with heavily agricultural economies,

Hereby,

1. "Invasive Species" as a non-native, non-sapient species whose natural behavior results in uncontrollable harm to ecosystems into which it is introduced,
  2. "Ecoterrorism" as the intentional introduction of an invasive species into a foreign ecosystem for purposes of damaging it,
2. PROHIBITS member nations from carrying out acts of ecoterrorism against other nations,

3. MANDATES member nations do everything in their power to prevent individuals or groups operating in their nation from carrying out acts of ecoterrorism abroad,

4. URGES member nations to take responsible steps to prevent ecoterrorism within their borders, and

5. EMPOWERS the World Assembly Commission on Biological Agents to:

1. Assist nations in setting up viable safeguards against ecoterrorism, and
  2. Aid civilian populations who have been subjected to a ecoterror attack in mitigating and reversing the effects of such.

I would vote for this.
Soon the sun will set- is that prophecy? No, it's merely an assertion of faith in the consistency of events.

Remember this Earth. Never forget her, but — never come back. If you come back, you might meet the Archangel at the east end of Earth, guarding her passes with a sword of flame. Space is your home hereafter. It’s a lonelier desert than ours.

By the -anarchist-neoliberal spirit I mean that deeply human sentiment, which aims at the good of all, freedom and justice for all, solidarity and love among the people;

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:11 pm

I think this proposal is excellent, I've approved it, and I look forward to voting for it. :)

It bucks the trend of verbosity in GA proposals, and its structure and vocabulary are very straightforward.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:51 am

OOC: Well, the obvious repeal hook is its lack of exception in case a member nation is attacked by a non-member nation and is forced onto the defensive against a weapon of great magnitude restricted by this proposal. If anyone wants to pursue a repeal based on that — go ahead.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:24 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:OOC: Well, the obvious repeal hook is its lack of exception in case a member nation is attacked by a non-member nation and is forced onto the defensive against a weapon of great magnitude restricted by this proposal. If anyone wants to pursue a repeal based on that — go ahead.

OOC: I continue being amused by the paranoia against non-WA nations that many WA nations use as an exuse for... well, whatever they want to, but usually military stuff. This isn't against you specifically, IA, or any other player around here, but just my continued general amusement on this issue. :P

Good luck with the vote. I'll get you a chlorophyllic post on PPU when the time comes.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Herby
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herby » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:20 pm

Ehhhhhh Global Disarmament? Eh. I s'pose, if you're takin' a weapon out of some mad evil sludge monster's arsenal, it can be Global Disarmament. I guess. Maybe. I think?
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:18 pm

OOC: Damnit, I just looked at the dates of when this goes to vote and I'll probably have left for my vacation by that time, so I'll likely miss the vote. :(

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:10 pm

"Kohr would like to reiterate its commitment to environmental stability not just domestically, but abroad. Any logical General Assembly Proposal concerning the environment- such as this one- shall have our full support."

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:39 pm

In the Name of the Eternal Kawaii, may the Cute One be praised

The environment and its many parts, both animal and vegetable, is almost by definition a noncombatant in matters of war. Deliberately upsetting the ecological balance of a nation as an act of war, therefore, is equivalent to targeting noncombatants, a practice this Assembly has roundly condemned. We therefore rise in support of this proposal.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:23 pm

This proposal has the Atlae Isles' full support.

Just for reference:

Native Species: A species within its indigenous habitat.
Introduced Species: A species that has been introduced by human activity, accidentally or intentionally. (But not necessarily invasive or causing harm to the environment.)
Invasive Species: A species that is thriving outside its indigenous habitat and doing harm to the native ecosystem. (All Invasive Species are Introduced, but not all Introduced Species are Invasive.)

There might be a bit of confusion there, but the law will work. Just keep that in mind.
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:09 pm

"Sciongrad is pleased to vote aye."

Natalia moves closer - probably uncomfortably so - to the ambassador from West Angola, gently nudges them, and whispers: "welcome to the vast, ultra-super-duper radical left wing pacifist hippy conspiracy. We meet beneath the floorboards of Parsons' office every Thursday night."
Last edited by Sciongrad on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Tretrid
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 08, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Tretrid » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:14 pm

The Second Republic of Tretrid has voted for this act, and will like to know why some nations oppose it. I believe that we can make further legislation on the matter for the gray areas.
Last edited by Tretrid on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Minister of Information and Communications of The East Pacific, Former Editor of the Eastern Pacific News Service, Vizier

Unless stated otherwise, nothing I say should be construed as being the opinion of The East Pacific.

The Wreckage Brother
Civilian

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Wreckage Brother » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Cancer
B A N E ?
A
N
E
?

Tretrid
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 08, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Tretrid » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:06 pm

The Wreckage Brother wrote:Cancer

Excuse me? What do you mean?
Former Minister of Information and Communications of The East Pacific, Former Editor of the Eastern Pacific News Service, Vizier

Unless stated otherwise, nothing I say should be construed as being the opinion of The East Pacific.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives