NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Environmental Warfare Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:19 pm

Sciongrad wrote:Natalia moves closer - probably uncomfortably so - to the ambassador from West Angola, gently nudges them, and whispers: "welcome to the vast, ultra-super-duper radical left wing pacifist hippy conspiracy. We meet beneath the floorboards of Parsons' office every Thursday night."

MAD-SIMPSONS:

Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Saveyou Island
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Saveyou Island » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:55 pm

"Solid, straightforward proposal here. Hopefully a couple of delegate votes will push this to passing, in the meantime Saveyou Island shall vote FOR this."
Ambassador Jack Fort, author of GA#264
Anything I posted before 2016 is stupid and should be ignored. That partially includes GA 264.

Gryphonian Alliance
Envoy

Founded: Nov 12, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gryphonian Alliance » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:45 am

I don't see how prohibiting environmental warfare would "slash worldwide military funding." I mean, sure, you can't practice environmental warfare anymore, should this resolution be passed, but how will this resolution prevent nations from spending money in other military practices?
Gryphonian Alliance
The West Pacific
The GA is a North American country in an alternate universe set a century into the future.
A 9 civilization, according to this index.
1st place in Women’s Individual Large Hill/10 km Nordic Combined
1st place in Mixed Relay 2×6 km+2×7.5 km Biathlon
2nd place in Two-Man Bobsleigh
3rd place in Two-Woman Bobsleigh

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:38 am

"We have voted for this proposed resolution."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.

Gryphonian Alliance wrote:I don't see how prohibiting environmental warfare would "slash worldwide military funding." I mean, sure, you can't practice environmental warfare anymore, should this resolution be passed, but how will this resolution prevent nations from spending money in other military practices?

OOC: Modly rulings on a number of previous proposals about banning various types of weaponry have established, by precedent, that this is the category they consider correct. Otherwise, as such resolutions generally contain (and this one, specifically, contains) no implicit requirement for nations to spend more money on any aspect of warfare -- and therefore 'International Security', which has such an increase as a prerequisite, wouldn't fit neither -- there wouldn't be any appropriate category,
Last edited by Bears Armed Mission on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

West Angola
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:48 am

"The campaign memo against this proposal being circulated by Excidium Planetis has elected to make use of scaremongering tactics that were already discussed during the drafting process, telling nations this resolution bans the use of horses in warfare due to grazing. To clear the issue up: unless nations are introducing their cavalry horses for the express purpose of damaging the environment, horses do not fall under this resolution."
Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95
Fourth Place: Cup of Harmony 59; Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 55; Champion: Cup of Harmony 57

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:57 am

West Angola wrote:"The campaign memo against this proposal being circulated by Excidium Planetis has elected to make use of scaremongering tactics that were already discussed during the drafting process, telling nations this resolution bans the use of horses in warfare due to grazing. To clear the issue up: unless nations are introducing their cavalry horses for the express purpose of damaging the environment, horses do not fall under this resolution."

OOC: Yeah, I found that telegram astoundingly unimpressive. I guess that's just politics, but it really is extremely annoying getting deliberately misleading telegrams.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:50 am

Sciongrad wrote:
West Angola wrote:"The campaign memo against this proposal being circulated by Excidium Planetis has elected to make use of scaremongering tactics that were already discussed during the drafting process, telling nations this resolution bans the use of horses in warfare due to grazing. To clear the issue up: unless nations are introducing their cavalry horses for the express purpose of damaging the environment, horses do not fall under this resolution."

OOC: Yeah, I found that telegram astoundingly unimpressive. I guess that's just politics, but it really is extremely annoying getting deliberately misleading telegrams.

Unfortunately, one cannot uncheck certain delegates from the list, or I wouldn't have wasted a tenth of a cent on you.

"Your rebuttal to my concerns was as follows: That horses bear too small of an impact to be uncontrollable, and that horses are not introduced for the purpose of destroying the environment." Blackbourne replies. "I found neither convincing in the slightest. The first because horses can indeed have an uncontrollable impact, and because you previously argued that even weapons which have built in control features are uncontrollable, and horses generally don't. The latter because damage to the environment is a known side effect of horse introduction, therefore, unless you argue that the environmental damage was not the primary reason for introduction, it was one purpose for introducing the horse. And if intent is all that matters, we will continue using our environmental weapons. Damage to the ecosystem was never our reason, anyways, we merely introduce those fungal weapons to kill people."
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Europe and Oceania
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Europe and Oceania » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:03 am

We voted for this.
"For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either" --Blaise Pascal

"The Republican Party is not even a party anymore, it's just a group of Christian Fundamentalists and representatives for Corporate America."
--Kyle Kulinski, Host of Secular Talk

WA Delegate and Founder of New Utopian World

West Angola
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:19 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:"Your rebuttal to my concerns was as follows: That horses bear too small of an impact to be uncontrollable, and that horses are not introduced for the purpose of destroying the environment." Blackbourne replies. "I found neither convincing in the slightest. The first because horses can indeed have an uncontrollable impact, and because you previously argued that even weapons which have built in control features are uncontrollable, and horses generally don't."

"Ambassador, if your horses eat that much grass you may want to invest some new horses."

"The latter because damage to the environment is a known side effect of horse introduction, therefore, unless you argue that the environmental damage was not the primary reason for introduction, it was one purpose for introducing the horse."

"I have to disagree with this, and it ties back in with my point about the level of environmental destruction caused by a horse. Logistically speaking, you would have to have a very large number of horses in the same area for an extended period of time for their grazing to have a substantial impact on the local ecosystem, which runs contrary to the purpose of cavalry as a mobile offensive force. Otherwise, I highly doubt the average commander thinks to themselves 'If we bring our horses into this area, they will destroy the local environment, ensuring us certain victory!'"

"And if intent is all that matters, we will continue using our environmental weapons. Damage to the ecosystem was never our reason, anyways, we merely introduce those fungal weapons to kill people."

"I am unfortunately unfamiliar with the specifics of your nation's fungal weapons, Ambassador, but if their method of killing is via environmental damage, then they still fall under this resolution. If not, I would suspect they run afoul of the Biological Warfare Convention."
Fourth Place: Cup of Harmony 59; Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 55; Champion: Cup of Harmony 57

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Are horses invasive?

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:27 pm

Let's clear a few things up about horses being invasive species and other issues.

There are, of course, chances that horses are invasive. However, unless the military uses improper techniques to keep the horses tied up, there is no chance of a horse being invasive.

Also, horses could also be feral species, which are domesticated versions of their wild counterpart in the wild. They also might cause harm to the environment, but unless the military releases the horses on purpose, there is no chance of a horse being invasive.

Horses can graze and trample the fauna around it, and that may cause environmental damage. However, it will not be in violation if it is properly restrained.

Fungal weapons, or any other form of biological warfare, aside from the fact that they aren't illegal, (unfortunately,) it does cause environmental damage with the casualties. The mode of destruction is to kill everything, and that includes wildlife. Fungi can be invasive species. Even if the intent was not to kill the environment, it would still be covered, because the intent is to kill everything, which just about includes the environment.

Ruining the ecosystem, in my opinion, does not seem like a very good way to win a war. After you conquered the land, the barren wasteland you created is more of a liability that a new asset. But that's just my opinion.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:36 pm

West Angola wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:"Your rebuttal to my concerns was as follows: That horses bear too small of an impact to be uncontrollable, and that horses are not introduced for the purpose of destroying the environment." Blackbourne replies. "I found neither convincing in the slightest. The first because horses can indeed have an uncontrollable impact, and because you previously argued that even weapons which have built in control features are uncontrollable, and horses generally don't."

"Ambassador, if your horses eat that much grass you may want to invest some new horses."

"The concern is not that horses graze so much they completely destroy the grass, it's much worse than that, actually. Simply running around destroys the environment, and on top of that they compete with local herbivores."
OOC:
Grasslands are protected by “biotic crusts” that consist of loose soil held together by tiny cyanobacteria, lichens, mosses, and green algae. They serve as a fragile glue that keeps desert soils from being washed or blown away. But these crusts are pulverized by horses, leading to poor water absorption, reduced fertility, and long-lasting environmental damage. Grasslands are disappearing as wild horse hooves crush biotic crusts, encouraging erosion that leaves wide swaths permanently degraded, replaced with barren rock

- sauce

"And if intent is all that matters, we will continue using our environmental weapons. Damage to the ecosystem was never our reason, anyways, we merely introduce those fungal weapons to kill people."

"I am unfortunately unfamiliar with the specifics of your nation's fungal weapons, Ambassador, but if their method of killing is via environmental damage, then they still fall under this resolution. If not, I would suspect they run afoul of the Biological Warfare Convention."

"The method of killing is hijacking the nervous systems of native wildlife and using them to kill the enemy combatants. Environmental damage is simply a side effect of this method, in the same way using radiological weapons to kill people results in the side effect of environmental damage due to radiation." Blackbourne replies. "And, I assure you, it does not run afoul of the Biological Warfare Convention, as it is not a microorganism."
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:40 pm

Grasslands are protected by “biotic crusts” that consist of loose soil held together by tiny cyanobacteria, lichens, mosses, and green algae. They serve as a fragile glue that keeps desert soils from being washed or blown away. But these crusts are pulverized by horses, leading to poor water absorption, reduced fertility, and long-lasting environmental damage. Grasslands are disappearing as wild horse hooves crush biotic crusts, encouraging erosion that leaves wide swaths permanently degraded, replaced with barren rock

- sauce

Ambassador, surely the military would restrain their horses. Horses could stampede, but the military can restrain them, or if in drastic measures, shoot them.
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:42 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote: However, it will not be in violation if it is properly restrained.

"Simply moving your cavalry from one battlefield to the next causes environmental damage and the author has made it clear that even with restraints such as genetic use restriction technology which will eventually eliminate the non-native species, species will be considered invasive if they cause lasting environmental damage."

Even if the intent was not to kill the environment, it would still be covered, because the intent is to kill everything, which just about includes the environment.

"The intent is most certainly not to kill everything. It is to kill the enemy, and nothing more."

Ruining the ecosystem, in my opinion, does not seem like a very good way to win a war. After you conquered the land, the barren wasteland you created is more of a liability that a new asset. But that's just my opinion.

"Who said anything about conquest? You can win a war without conquering the destroyed territory, you know. It happens most of the time, actually."

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:48 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
The Atlae Isles wrote: However, it will not be in violation if it is properly restrained.

"Simply moving your cavalry from one battlefield to the next causes environmental damage and the author has made it clear that even with restraints such as genetic use restriction technology which will eventually eliminate the non-native species, species will be considered invasive if they cause lasting environmental damage."

Invasive species are species outside their natural habitat, thriving, out-of-control, and are bad for the environment. I don't agree with the definition the author put in. There is a little ambiguity.

Even if the intent was not to kill the environment, it would still be covered, because the intent is to kill everything, which just about includes the environment.

"The intent is most certainly not to kill everything. It is to kill the enemy, and nothing more."

Collateral damage. And, how can fungi, which can be invasive, be dropped on an area, killing people (which may include civilians), and not harm the local environment? That seems unscientific!

"Who said anything about conquest? You can win a war without conquering the destroyed territory, you know. It happens most of the time, actually."

That's one kind of war. War for territory. And I did say it was my opinion.
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:53 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:"Simply moving your cavalry from one battlefield to the next causes environmental damage and the author has made it clear that even with restraints such as genetic use restriction technology which will eventually eliminate the non-native species, species will be considered invasive if they cause lasting environmental damage."

Invasive species are species outside their natural habitat, thriving, out-of-control, and are bad for the environment. I don't agree with the definition the author put in. There is a little ambiguity.

"The one the author put in is the one you must abide by, regardless of whether you are with it or not."

Collateral damage. And, how can fungi, which can be invasive, be dropped on an area, killing people (which may include civilians), and not harm the local environment? That seems unscientific!

"The horses cause collateral environmental damage. So either you ban horses because an unintended side effect is collateral environmental damage, or fungal weapons are A-Okay because the collateral environmental damage was not the intended use of the weapon."

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:00 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
The Atlae Isles wrote:
"The horses cause collateral environmental damage. So either you ban horses because an unintended side effect is collateral environmental damage, or fungal weapons are A-Okay because the collateral environmental damage was not the intended use of the weapon."

Any collateral damage horses cause are trampling and grazing. Humans do that too. The definition put non-sapient, which exempts humans. That does mean that horses can be considered invasive species, if you put that into context. However, unless a military general releases them on purpose to ravage the environment, then that's not biological warfare. Do the generals think, "Hey! Let's release our cavalry so they can destroy the environment!"

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:06 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote:Any collateral damage horses cause are trampling and grazing. Humans do that too. The definition put non-sapient, which exempts humans. That does mean that horses can be considered invasive species, if you put that into context.

"Exactly. Horses are banned from being used in warfare."

However, unless a military general releases them on purpose to ravage the environment, then that's not biological warfare. Do the generals think, "Hey! Let's release our cavalry so they can destroy the environment!"

"Generally, nobody has the express goal of environmental destruction, rather, the goal is always elimination of the opposing force."
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

West Angola
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"Simply moving your cavalry from one battlefield to the next causes environmental damage and the author has made it clear that even with restraints such as genetic use restriction technology which will eventually eliminate the non-native species, species will be considered invasive if they cause lasting environmental damage."

"Unless your cavalry is running repeatedly over the same area of ground and remaining in an area long enough to significantly diminish the food supply available to other local herbivores, the damage caused is not extreme."

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:13 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
The Atlae Isles wrote:Any collateral damage horses cause are trampling and grazing. Humans do that too. The definition put non-sapient, which exempts humans. That does mean that horses can be considered invasive species, if you put that into context.

"Exactly. Horses are banned from being used in warfare."

They're only banned from being released into the environment for the purpose of destroying the environment.

However, unless a military general releases them on purpose to ravage the environment, then that's not biological warfare. Do the generals think, "Hey! Let's release our cavalry so they can destroy the environment!"

"Generals don't think 'Hey! Let's release these spores so they can destroy the environment'. Generally, nobody has the express goal of environmental destruction, rather, the goal is always elimination of the opposing force."

That's not true. Generals can destroy the environment so they have an advantage. For instance, they can bomb rainforests so they can't be ambushed. The bill is designed to prevent the military from releasing invasive species to ravage the environment for the purpose of destroying it.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:15 pm

West Angola wrote:

"Unless your cavalry is running repeatedly over the same area of ground and remaining in an area long enough to significantly diminish the food supply available to other local herbivores, the damage caused is not extreme."

I agree. Footprints on the ground are not usually lasting damage. Calvary usually stay on trails, for the reason of not getting hurt. Even if they don't, it's technically not invasive unless they keep running on that land to destroy the wildlife at that specific spot.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:18 pm

West Angola wrote:

"If the war is long enough, yes. And because nations cannot know how long the war will be, horses are therefore banned."

The Atlae Isles wrote:They're only banned from being released into the environment for the purpose of destroying the environment.

"Untrue. They are prohibited from being used, regardless of whether they are released or not."

That's not true. Generals can destroy the environment so they have an advantage. For instance, they can bomb rainforests so they can't be ambushed. The bill is designed to prevent the military from releasing invasive species to ravage the environment for the purpose of destroying it.

"I never said such extreme instances did not exist, I merely said that generally the goal was not the destruction of the environment itself."

West Angola
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"If the war is long enough, yes. And because nations cannot know how long the war will be, horses are therefore banned."

"Only if the war stagnates and the front stays in one place for an extended period of time. In that case, there isn't much tactical value to horses anyway, so I would question why they remained at the front at all in such a situation."

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:36 pm

West Angola wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:"If the war is long enough, yes. And because nations cannot know how long the war will be, horses are therefore banned."

"Only if the war stagnates and the front stays in one place for an extended period of time.

"Or if the front moves constantly back and forth over the same territory."

In that case, there isn't much tactical value to horses anyway, so I would question why they remained at the front at all in such a situation."

"As pack animals."
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
The Atlae Isles wrote:They're only banned from being released into the environment for the purpose of destroying the environment.

"Untrue. They are prohibited from being used, regardless of whether they are released or not."

It said that environmental warfare is the intentional "introduction" of an invasive species into the ecosystem.

What you mean, ambassador, is as soon as the horse is set foot on that land, it's environmental warfare. That's completely rational. But is misinformed.

Introduction means, that once the horses are out of control, then they are banned.
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:57 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote:

- sauce

Also, another factor is poor soil and water conservation. To prevent soil from blowing away, you can plat things in the groundor do other soil and water conservation techniques.

Also, the animals are feral. Feral: Domesticated Animals along with their wild counterpart in the wild. It does not necessarily make them invasive, Ambassador.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives