NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Law Enforcement Education"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Floor 448
Envoy

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Floor 448 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:13 pm

:rofl: I love this. Full support ahead, and inspiration for a joke proposal.

The Floor 448 ambassador gets out a cookbook.
Last edited by Floor 448 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guess who I am! Or, rather, was.
Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear. He gets a notification that someone mentioned him.
When posting an image for me, please don't use Imgur.
Cumberlanda wrote:I, for one, am currently happy with our robot oppressors.

Gest II wrote:Somehow that was interpreted to mean: those foreign devils and their squiggly languages are incapable of learning Her Majesty's Tongue.
And now that I've gotten used to StackOverflow, I can't seem to wrap my head around not being able to edit posts with terrible spelling and/or grammar.

The Puddle Jumping Wads of Wrapper
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Puddle Jumping Wads of Wrapper » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:13 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:Acquiring
3 oranges, peeled and de-veined
1 cup of milk or coconut milk
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp raw honey
1 1/2 cups of ice

Combining everything except oranges and ice in a blender and mixing for about 20 seconds to create a frothy cream, before adding the oranges and blending for another 20 seconds or until smooth. Finally, adding the ice and blending for another 20 seconds.

The Puddle Jumping Wads of Wrapper wrote:ARI: Erm. We're really not sure but those "acquiring" and "combining" clauses could be considered legislating in a repeal.... ;)

Excidium Planetis wrote:Also Disappointed by the resolution's lack of
3 oranges, peeled and de-veined
1 cup of milk or coconut milk
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp raw honey
1 1/2 cups of ice

Shocked at the target's failure to combine everything except oranges and ice in a blender and mixing for about 20 seconds to create a frothy cream, before adding the oranges and blending for another 20 seconds or until smooth; and at last adding the ice and blending for another 20 seconds.

ARI: Hmmm, yes, wording it in that way certainly can't be confused with legislating in a repeal, can it?

(Wad Ahume rolls his eyes and exits the room.)
The General Assembly Delegation of the Puddle Jumping Wads of Wrapper:
-- Wad Ari Alaz, Wrapperian Ambassador to the WA; Author, SCR#200, GAR #300, GAR#361.
-- Wad Ahume Orliss-Dorcke, Deputy Ambassador; two-time Intergalactic Karaoke League champion.
-- Wad Dawei DeGoah, Ambassador Emeritus; deceased.
THE GA POSTS FROM THIS NATION ARE IN-CHARACTER AND SHOULD NEVER BE TAKEN AS MODERATOR RULINGS.

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:00 pm

If this gets passed with that recipe in it, I'm voting for it as Best Resolution of 2016.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:43 pm

We Couldnt Agree On A Name wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:"Any more comments before the target resolution goes to vote?"

I love you.

Cornelia Schultz blushes furiously. "Well... uh... thank you."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Liagolas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Liagolas » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:03 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:"Any more comments before the target resolution goes to vote?"

"The Dominion thanks you for introducing it to Orange Juliuses," the Mouth says before slurping its own Orange Julius.
The Place Without a PeopleThe Dominion, brieflyThe Liagolas (leader) • MT. The dystopia pretending to be a hivemind. • When NS stats make your nation look freer than it's meant to be. • Security Council: *dips toe into roleplaying* General Assembly: *slaps SC*
In insisting it's a political simulation, NS ignores its reality as a political simulation game. Games have boundaries, and modern roleplaying games have safety tools. NS has neither, leaving it stuck as a badge-collecting pay-to-win where causticness is excused as "character," griefing/raiding is "just politics," and F7 is more courteous than General Assembly.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:12 am

Leppikania wrote:If this gets passed with that recipe in it, I'm voting for it as Best Resolution of 2016.

Agreed!
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:14 am

Araraukar wrote:
Leppikania wrote:If this gets passed with that recipe in it, I'm voting for it as Best Resolution of 2016.

Agreed!

Concurred, though I feel that those numbers ought be in text rather than numerals.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:17 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Agreed!

Concurred, though I feel that those numbers ought be in text rather than numerals.

"That's a change I believe I can make."
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:25 am

I found a few errors in formatting. I corrected them. I also added some text and deleted a clause because it flows better when you give the argument and explain why that argument is true. Also, I'm part of the no-styles crowd, so all the italics and stuff got removed, mostly because I feel, along with the rest of the no-styles crowd, that it looks better this way.

Code: Select all
Believing that better public relations with law enforcement is conducive to a harmonious and well-ordered society, but,

Rejecting the claim that such relations have deteriorated lately, as this is not the case in most nations,

Believing that this is simply not an international issue, as nations can deal with law enforcement education without World Assembly intervention in crime and judicial procedure,

Concerned that 365 GA 'Law Enforcement Education' requires public funding to be given to law enforcement agencies even in nations that use private police forces instead of public law enforcement agencies,

Disappointed that even though this is not an issue the World Assembly should deal with, the target resolution doesn't even deal with the issue adequately, as although it requires funding to be allocated for education programs and attendance of law enforcement officers at such education programs, it fails to require that those programes actually be created,

Also disappointed by the resolution's lack of:
[list][*]three oranges, peeled and de-veined,

[*]one cup of milk or coconut milk,

[*]one egg plus 2 egg yolks,

[*]one tsp. vanilla extract,

[*]two tbsp raw honey, and

[*]one and a half cups of ice; and[/list]
Shocked at the target's failure to combine everything except oranges and ice in a blender and mixing for about twenty seconds to create a frothy cream, before adding the oranges and blending for another twenty seconds or until smooth; and at last adding the ice and blending for another twenty seconds;

Hereby repeals, 365 GA 'Law Enforcement Education'.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:30 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I found a few errors in formatting. I corrected them. I also added some text and deleted a clause because it flows better when you give the argument and explain why that argument is true. Also, I'm part of the no-styles crowd, so all the italics and stuff got removed, mostly because I feel, along with the rest of the no-styles crowd, that it looks better this way.

Believing that better public relations with law enforcement is conducive to a harmonious and well-ordered society, but,

Rejecting the claim that such relations have deteriorated lately, as this is not the case in most nations,

Believing that this is simply not an international issue, as nations can deal with law enforcement education without World Assembly intervention in crime and judicial procedure,

Concerned that 365 GA 'Law Enforcement Education' requires public funding to be given to law enforcement agencies even in nations that use private police forces instead of public law enforcement agencies,

Disappointed that even though this is not an issue the World Assembly should deal with, the target resolution doesn't even deal with the issue adequately, as although it requires funding to be allocated for education programs and attendance of law enforcement officers at such education programs, it fails to require that those programes actually be created,

Shocked at the target's failure to combine everything except oranges and ice in a blender and mixing for about twenty seconds to create a frothy cream, before adding the oranges and blending for another twenty seconds or until smooth; and at last adding the ice and blending for another twenty seconds;

"It looks fairly nice. I'll see about incorporating into the current draft, which has several changes to the 'Also Disappointed' clause."
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:32 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:I found a few errors in formatting. I corrected them. I also added some text and deleted a clause because it flows better when you give the argument and explain why that argument is true. Also, I'm part of the no-styles crowd, so all the italics and stuff got removed, mostly because I feel, along with the rest of the no-styles crowd, that it looks better this way.

"It looks fairly nice. I'll see about incorporating into the current draft, which has several changes to the 'Also Disappointed' clause."

It also does correct capitalisation errors.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:It also does correct capitalisation errors.

"I accepted the wording changes to the first preamble clause, and the 'Disappointed' clause, as well as the spacing in the list. Most other changes I rejected, because they were formatting changes that I didn't like. I also corrected a grammatical error in the first preambulatory clause, where you wrote 'public relations... is...', where 'are' should be used.

"All in all, I think this repeal is pretty solid as is."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:It also does correct capitalisation errors.

"I accepted the wording changes to the first preamble clause, and the 'Disappointed' clause, as well as the spacing in the list. Most other changes I rejected, because they were formatting changes that I didn't like. I also corrected a grammatical error in the first preambulatory clause, where you wrote 'public relations... is...', where 'are' should be used.

Your Concerned clause, § d, should end with a comma, not a full stop. Similarly, the ingredients list should have commas, the second to last one should have an and, and the last element in that section should end with a comma, not a full stop.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:36 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

Your Concerned clause, § d, should end with a comma, not a full stop. Similarly, the ingredients list should have commas, the second to last one should have an and, and the last element in that section should end with a comma, not a full stop.

"Alright, Mr. Grammar, anything else to add?"

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:54 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Your Concerned clause, § d, should end with a comma, not a full stop. Similarly, the ingredients list should have commas, the second to last one should have an and, and the last element in that section should end with a comma, not a full stop.

"Alright, Mr. Grammar, anything else to add?"

Now that you've changed it to using semicolons, clauses § a-c ought end in semicolons as well.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:10 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:"Alright, Mr. Grammar, anything else to add?"

Now that you've changed it to using semicolons, clauses § a-c ought end in semicolons as well.

"But those are preambulatory clauses. Actually, now that I think about it, unlike in a normal resolution, where the preambulatory clauses cannot stand alone but the operative clauses can, and thus punctuation distinguishes them, in a repeal on the 'Hereby Repeals' clause can stand alone. Thus everything else needs a comma.

"Sorry, not used to writing repeals."

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:45 pm

"Two grammatical quibbles. Firstly, the term 'the General Assembly' must appear somewhere for the resolution for it to make grammatical sense. A proposal can be thought of as a single, long sentence (which you quite rightly recognize, seeing as every clause in your proposal but the last ends with a comma). However, without throwing in 'the World Assembly' or 'the General Assembly' at the very beginning or before 'hereby' in the last clause, the proposal lacks a subject. Furthermore, in your last clause, you must put your period on the inside of a quotation mark (OOC: unless you're using some alternate form of English, which is very possible. Sometimes British grammar differs from American grammar, so if that's the case, my apologies).

Finally, I strongly advice that you remove the recipe clause. I do find it funny, but I can guarantee you that it will lose you many votes. Whether or not it's included won't change my vote, of course, but in the interest of securing this repeal's passage, I think it would be wise to remove that clause."
Last edited by Sciongrad on Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:51 pm

Sciongrad wrote:"Two grammatical quibbles. Firstly, the term 'the General Assembly' must appear somewhere for the resolution to make grammatical sense. A proposal can be thought of as a single, long sentence (which you quite rightly recognize, seeing as every clause in your proposal but the last ends with a comma). However, without throwing in 'the World Assembly' or 'the General Assembly' at the very beginning or before 'hereby' in the last clause, the proposal lacks a subject.

"Sorry," Ambassador Schultz says, scribbling the words into the top of the latest draft. "I normally do that, it just apparently slipped my mind."

Furthermore, in your last clause, you must put your period on the inside of a quotation mark (OOC: unless your using some alternate form of English, which is very possible. Sometimes British grammar differs from American grammar, so if that's the case, my apologies).

"The period is not part of the target resolution's title, so I don't see why I should put it in the quotations around the title."

"Finally, I strongly advice that you remove the recipe clause. I do find it funny, but I can guarantee you that will lose you many votes. Whether or not it's included won't change my vote, but in the interest of securing this repeal's passage, I think it would be wise to remove that clause."

"If the target can pass, so can this repeal. Given the level of blind support already voiced, I would say that this has a good shot."

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"The period is not part of the target resolution's title, so I don't see why I should put it in the quotations around the title."

"Periods always go inside quotation marks, regardless of whether or not there is a period in the title."

"If the target can pass, so can this repeal. Given the level of blind support already voiced, I would say that this has a good shot."

"Again, I'm not opposed, but disabuse yourself of the notion that those ambassadors that prefer to stay locked in their offices all day have the same good humor that we do."
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:20 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:"The period is not part of the target resolution's title, so I don't see why I should put it in the quotations around the title."

"Periods always go inside quotation marks, regardless of whether or not there is a period in the title."

"Perhaps you have differing punctuation rules, Ambassador, but Excidium Planetis follows the rules with a degree of logic. Seems rather backwards to put exclamation points and question marks outside quotations when they were not present in the title, but to put commas and periods inside in the same situation, doesn't it?"

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Sciongrad wrote:"Periods always go inside quotation marks, regardless of whether or not there is a period in the title."

OOC: Fun fact, waaaay back in school I was taught that in Finnish grammar you're supposed to leave commas outside, when writing dialogue. Like "This is what I said", she commented. It never made any sense to me, so I've always preferred the English way for dialogue punctuation. However, including periods inside a direct quote (which is how I read using the proposal's title) when there aren't any, seems odd.

Further note: strong painkillers are distorting my reality a bit, so I'm prone to making tons of typos right now. Like when writing that sentence, I first wrote "tongs" instead of "tons".
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:33 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:"Periods always go inside quotation marks, regardless of whether or not there is a period in the title."

OOC: Fun fact, waaaay back in school I was taught that in Finnish grammar you're supposed to leave commas outside, when writing dialogue. Like "This is what I said", she commented. It never made any sense to me, so I've always preferred the English way for dialogue punctuation. However, including periods inside a direct quote (which is how I read using the proposal's title) when there aren't any, seems odd.

Further note: strong painkillers are distorting my reality a bit, so I'm prone to making tons of typos right now. Like when writing that sentence, I first wrote "tongs" instead of "tons".

It's also the correct way in English. You put the full stop after the end of the quote. Thus, "This is what I said".
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:37 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:It's also the correct way in English. You put the full stop after the end of the quote. Thus, "This is what I said".

OOC: Quote, yes, but dialogue, no. Right? Actually, nevermind, I can't handle grammar lessons right now. :P

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:It's also the correct way in English. You put the full stop after the end of the quote. Thus, "This is what I said".

OOC: Quote, yes, but dialogue, no. Right? Actually, nevermind, I can't handle grammar lessons right now. :P

It has to do with whether it was in the source when you quoted it. Dialogue would be like this:

'I am', said Arthur, 'Arthur.'
The comma is added outside because Arthur did not say it. The full stop is in the quotes because Arthur did finish his sentence. If it is inside the quotation marks, then the person whom you quoted actually said that or punctuated their English in that manner. If it is outside the quotation marks, you added it independent of the original source. This does lead to issues like the following, but it is more respective to the original source material than what American (though many American journals and publications of a less provincialist variety are changing quickly what is a more logical and fact-based scheme which makes significantly more sense) does in pretending that quoted people said something they did not actually say.

He asked, 'Am I alive?'.
In this case, Law Enforcement Education does not end with a full stop. Thus, your full stop goes outside the quotation mark.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
It has to do with whether it was in the source when you quoted it. Dialogue would be like this:

'I am', said Arthur, 'Arthur.'

The comma is added outside because Arthur did not say it. The full stop is in the quotes because Arthur did finish his sentence. If it is inside the quotation marks, then the person whom you quoted actually said that or punctuated their English in that manner. If it is outside the quotation marks, you added it independent of the original source.

Araraukar wrote:Actually, nevermind, I can't handle grammar lessons right now. :P

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives